Art Critique + Advice -

Cedric_Eff

Damn property taxes f**k up everything.
kiwifarms.net
I just finished drawing one of my interpretations of one of the major arcana cards. What do you guys think?

I kinda see where you’re going with this but the lower half of her feels like it’s being twisted in one way and her left arm seems slightly larger than the other.

I’d recommend looking at this post by @SpergPatrol

There uhh is a lot wrong with the anatomy with this art and the designs so far even without color look kind of bad that ethier, not enough is happening(The tall women), or wayyyy too much is going on (the little girl)
The little girl outfit has a pattern, jester shoes, and a ballerina outfit on top of poofy hair and buck teeth.
This is wayyy to much visually speaking and you may want to tone that down a little and make her have a more consistent theme.
The grown woman is little lacking, it so far is just a lady in a short shirt showing her panties and knee socks, unless you're about to make a hentai parody, this is designed that wayyy out of place especially for the cartoon you're basing it off of.
It has nothing else visually speaking other than the head being a clear copy of the design of female demon news reporter's head. Make the hair different more and the design have more than just what you have so far because it kind of just looked like you made a lewd version of the news reporter at the moment.

The little girl you have drawn so far has got a horse face, it doesn't look humanoid, it looks more animalistic you may want to dial back how much you protrude the bottom half of the face forward.

The grown women's legs look like a horses' also, legs do not curve like that and it looks like the calves you drew have tumors in one while the other just is kind of broken.

The little girl's upper thigh is also broken as you can see a clear lump protruding out in two separate places. Thicker legs do not have curves like this.

Your women's torso suffers from missing ribcage syndrome, there are good references online because this is a common mistakes for beginning artists.
View attachment 1174262View attachment 1174264
If you want to know how to fix it this is a full guide the same user also made on how to make the anaomty actually work properly.
View attachment 1174266

Sorry for all the notes, but I noticed you were asking for help and seeing details like this and working on them will vastly help improve your art in the long run when you know little anatomy changes like that.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone have any tips on actually sticking with practicing drawing? I keep falling off and on with it, and I have trouble finding things I want to practice drawing.
Also, medium story short, I am now in possession of a digital drawing-pad. It’s a basic model you would get at a BestBuy.
I have no earthly clue how to use the thing. I set it up and it draws, but it’s like trying to draw with a large trackpad. Is that the ‘normal’ feeling and I just need to get used to it, or am I messing it up somehow?

Last edited:

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
Anyone got any tips on drawing hair that looks realistic? I can do faces, but with pencils hair always looks cartoony?
317.jpg

Think face is OK, (apart from the jaw and the wonky ear) but hair is always something that I can't get.... Yeah I know I copied what I saw from a photo onto my little A6 pad, but still can't draw hair..

edit: This is more sketchy, and the red background doesn't help, but the hair still looks terrible.

Not just asking how to draw Kurt Cobain either, just so happens these are some of my recents...

other.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on actually sticking with practicing drawing? I keep falling off and on with it, and I have trouble finding things I want to practice drawing.
Life drawing is the obvious one, but any sketches you scribble from life helps, draw a pet, draw someone asleep, draw buildings too, or try and draw Kurt Cobain 🤣

Also, medium story short, I am now in possession of a digital drawing-pad. It’s a basic model you would get at a BestBuy.
I have no earthly clue how to use the thing. I set it up and it draws, but it’s like trying to draw with a large trackpad. Is that the ‘normal’ feeling and I just need to get used to it, or am I messing it up somehow?
It shouldn't be that bad, it should be 1:1 what you are actually doing... I don't know what you own but usually you can set it to the aspect ratio of your monitor, which will normally be software based, but it may help...

I only use Wacom Intuous, not being a snob but they work 1:1 on any monitor. Even the Intous 3 A3 (came out in 2007 and still has 1024 points of sensitivity) will still do this on Windows 10 and MacOS Catalina, you just lose the bottom on widescreen, but on the plus side you get the best mouse ever with them

You can pick the A3 and A4 old models up for peanuts now btw, but check out the drivers your tablet came with, because no, it should not feel like that using a tablet to draw.

The Wacoms are the same without the drivers, they act like a massive crap trackpad because most systems just treat them as a mouse... Even if you have an A5 Wacom Bamboo, it should still feel 1:1 to draw on. check your drivers and any software you got?

Last edited:

NoGamersAllowed

Both a great ally and a real dumbass
kiwifarms.net
I'm producing an animated web series called Yakking 101. I'm using traditional cel animation to produce the show and I need some thoughts on the show's art.
Cels from episode 1
20200310_190536.jpg
20200310_190845.jpg
Cels from episode 2
20200310_191045.jpg
20200226_230546.jpg
20200310_191317.jpg
20200310_191553.jpg
20200310_191638.jpg
These are cels from the first two episodes. I had 13 episodes planned and it will start airing in the middle of May and I already got the VA work for the first two as well. I'm an beginner animator who has never done an cartoon before so I'm trying to hone my craft. I know that it's looks very off-model and when it finally aires, the limited animation will make it more apparently

WoodlumHax

professional stooge
kiwifarms.net
hey, haven't posted on this thread in a long time. recently got accepted into college, here's my new stuff! i'd appreciate some insight
Screenshot_20200311-145409(1).png

Screenshot_20200311-145436(1).png

Screenshot_20200311-145525(1).png

oc stuff ^^^
IMG_20200311_102814_437.jpg

me and gf's tiefling characters (mine on left)
Screenshot_20200311-145357(1).png

Screenshot_20200311-145502(1).png
i really want to go into video game design, so i've been practicing art more than ever and started taking classes on coding over the past year

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
I'm producing an animated web series called Yakking 101. I'm using traditional cel animation to produce the show and I need some thoughts on the show's art.
Cels from episode 1 View attachment 1182078View attachment 1182080 Cels from episode 2View attachment 1182081View attachment 1182082View attachment 1182083View attachment 1182084View attachment 1182085 These are cels from the first two episodes. I had 13 episodes planned and it will start airing in the middle of May and I already got the VA work for the first two as well. I'm an beginner animator who has never done an cartoon before so I'm trying to hone my craft. I know that it's looks very off-model and when it finally aires, the limited animation will make it more apparently
All I want to say is good luck, and I couldn't critique in good faith without seeing it in motion.

Reactions: NoGamersAllowed

FuckGoogle

kiwifarms.net
img085.jpg
img065 - Copy.jpg
img013 new.jpg
img042.jpg

So I know I'm not the best artist but any help would be much appreciated

Cels from episode 1 View attachment 1182078View attachment 1182080 Cels from episode 2View attachment 1182081View attachment 1182082View attachment 1182083View attachment 1182084View attachment 1182085 These are cels from the first two episodes. I had 13 episodes planned and it will start airing in the middle of May and I already got the VA work for the first two as well. I'm an beginner animator who has never done an cartoon before so I'm trying to hone my craft. I know that it's looks very off-model and when it finally aires, the limited animation will make it more apparently
I think you can improve by trying to steady your linework and using references you like. I would subjest that you find a art style you like and try to see what makes it work,but keep it simple at first.

JeaneJanae

Hiatus
kiwifarms.net
Fanart~Primink.pngGift ~ Du jiao shou.pngGift~ Bonbon.png

I've been trying to fix up my over all style, to be more clean/consistent, tho I still need a lot of work, ALSO BTW none of these characters are mine, these are all fanart/gifts

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1208135View attachment 1208136View attachment 1208137

I've been trying to fix up my over all style, to be more clean/consistent, tho I still need a lot of work, ALSO BTW none of these characters are mine, these are all fanart/gifts
What you want comes from time and experience and experimentation. What I suggest is doing face studies because your faces at best can be described as derpy, especially that unicorn, in which case, animal studies too.

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Decided to practice style replication

View attachment 1221904

It looks nice! The lines are clean, the colors look great and you replicated the styles well! But the poses are pretty boring for these characters imo. I'd suggest next time you try something more dynamic for them ( for example you should try to draw them in a different angle, some power pose or more expressive facial expressions). Otherwise it is a good style replication!

Reactions: JeaneJanae

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I need some more eyeballs looking at this so I can see how to finally finish it. I've looked at it for so long that I can't tell what needs work because it all looks like a hot mess in my mind now. Definetly think his face needs work and that one shoe is pretty ass.
20200410_174517.jpg

Last edited:

Sekirodiealot

kiwifarms.net
I'm not exactly great at drawing, but here's something i tried months ago
Drawing  attempt.jpg

I wish haven't thrown the paper away. Is there a way to improve my drawing? I've been thinking of trying digital art, but never drew on ms paint or even krita

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
I'm not exactly great at drawing, but here's something i tried months ago
View attachment 1243772
I wish haven't thrown the paper away. Is there a way to improve my drawing? I've been thinking of trying digital art, but never drew on ms paint or even krita
It's hard to say anything about this since it's unfinished but from what I see the proportions are kinda weird. Can you maybe finish or redraw this so I (or someone else) can properly help you?

If you want to try digital art I can recommend Fire Alpaca. It's an easy to use, free program and they often update it. It's perfect for people who are just starting out. Krita is not bad either but it takes more time to get used to.

spiritofamermaid

2 Commission Spots Left
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How in the world do I draw kids, aka people who are not 20s to 30s? My figure drawing texts in regards to anatomy help with the older side, but very little consideration is given to teens and younger.

I was commissioned for a piece of merchildren, so I'll post progress pics to continue to ask for help, but I don't even know where to start for kids. In the past they always come out as looking like mini-adults. I know the problem area is the face proportions and features like that, as I think I have the body proportions okay.

Here's a piece I did about a year ago. I've progressed in regards to the faces for the woman and man (just see my avatar!) so I'd like more focus be given to the two kids. Of course, any necessary criticism is welcome; that's just where I'd like the focus to be.

Attachments

Tags
None