Art Critique + Advice -

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
How in the world do I draw kids, aka people who are not 20s to 30s? My figure drawing texts in regards to anatomy help with the older side, but very little consideration is given to teens and younger.

I was commissioned for a piece of merchildren, so I'll post progress pics to continue to ask for help, but I don't even know where to start for kids. In the past they always come out as looking like mini-adults. I know the problem area is the face proportions and features like that, as I think I have the body proportions okay.

Here's a piece I did about a year ago. I've progressed in regards to the faces for the woman and man (just see my avatar!) so I'd like more focus be given to the two kids. Of course, any necessary criticism is welcome; that's just where I'd like the focus to be.
Find pics of actual children and draw them. Seriously, it's that easy. Or just reference the pics. Your piece needs other work, but you asked about the kids and I'm half awake.

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1297113

This is a gift I made trying out a new style

The colors look really nice and I like the style but there are some big issues when it comes to proportions and such.
I hope you don't mind but I had to redline your drawing so you can see the differences between head shapes, proportions, etc better.
redline.png
1589812864641.png

Besides the issues with the proportions, the glasses usually don't look like that from a profile view and they look more like this:
1589813885561.png

(If you purposefully draw the glasses like that I kinda understand why, you can't really see the eyes because of them and it's not really noticeable unless you pay attention.)

JeaneJanae

Hiatus
kiwifarms.net
The colors look really nice and I like the style but there are some big issues when it comes to proportions and such.
I hope you don't mind but I had to redline your drawing so you can see the differences between head shapes, proportions, etc better.
View attachment 1303028View attachment 1303032

Besides the issues with the proportions, the glasses usually don't look like that from a profile view and they look more like this:
View attachment 1303049
(If you purposefully draw the glasses like that I kinda understand why, you can't really see the eyes because of them and it's not really noticeable unless you pay attention.)
Aye, as a visual learner I usually appreciate red-lining! This is the first image I did trying this style I tried making 2 more images that executed much better at least to me, since I was going for a more "Low Poly Style"

Gift ~ Iris Icon.png
Gift ~ Crazz.png

Guts Gets Some

kiwifarms.net
Hey guys any advice on drawing anime eyes. Just the frame. There are a LOT of tutorials, but most of them are trash.I'm mostly having trouble memorising the outher shape, if that makes sense.
This is news to me that there even was a set style to anime eyes. I guess it's become more homogenized as time went on, but some of my favorite character designs were ones where the artist just went crazy with something totally weird.

Not sure if you're familiar with the original Yu-Gi-Oh manga, but that's probably some of my favorite unique style. But then again, I'm a sucker for sharp angular lines. And man, do I remember drawing Yami Bakura eyes over and over in my notebook in high school, haha, just because I loved the design of them so much:
Bakura-Ep35-YamiEyesCU-2.jpg

(Why add mascara lines? Who cares, it looks awesome)

• Agree
Reactions: Dark Emporer Dood

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
So, I polished up the drawing I showed a rough sketch of in "Post your Art" but there's SOMETHING about it that still bothers me but I can't quite put a finger on. Something about the shading or coloring just looks "off" to me but I can't tell what; I think I just need a more experienced pair of eyes to give it a quick look.
View attachment 1355315
I don't think it's the coloring, (that looks really nice imo) I think it's her expression that doesn't really matches with the rest of the art. The body is in a rather calm position and the cool colors amplify that, while her facial expression is the complete opposite of calm and cool. In my opinion you could either play around with the facial expression or maybe change the outfit's color-scheme to the opposite of the current one's.

Reactions: Gar For Archer

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I don't think it's the coloring, (that looks really nice imo) I think it's her expression that doesn't really matches with the rest of the art. The body is in a rather calm position and the cool colors amplify that, while her facial expression is the complete opposite of calm and cool. In my opinion you could either play around with the facial expression or maybe change the outfit's color-scheme to the opposite of the current one's.
Well I deleted my post cuz I resolved the color issue on my own but you bring up a good point. I’m definitely aware that it’s an issue - I’m very bad with facial expressions in general (... pretty much the only expression I can instinctively draw is “neutral staring off into space, lmao) so I copied this one from a reference. The pose I did was intended to be sort of sassy and angular but it must have gotten lost in translation somewhere between sketches. I've changed it to a more neutral smug/smirking face (still roughly sketched) and I do think it looks a lot better (and is more in line with the expression I was going for in the first place), main difference being I just made the eyebrows a lot less prominent.

1591486200194.png

I’ve been reading a lot of manga lately and sort of looking at how the artists make the characters expressive. Next thing I plan on working on is a short 4-5 page comic with a chibified art style so I can focus more on expressiveness through posing and facial features instead of getting all hung up on anatomy and colors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Distant Stare

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Well I deleted my post cuz I resolved the color issue on my own but you bring up a good point. I’m definitely aware that it’s an issue - I’m very bad with facial expressions in general (... pretty much the only expression I can instinctively draw is “neutral staring off into space, lmao) so I copied this one from a reference. The pose I did was intended to be sort of sassy and angular but it must have gotten lost in translation somewhere between sketches. I’ll try a few alternate faces and see if I land on one I like.
I definitely got the sassy vibes from her expression so that wasn't really the problem. Maybe it would look better if she looks more smug than sassy? If you'll experiment with it I'd suggest raising her eyebrows, looking down or to the side and giving her a half smile but do what works for you.
Honestly, drawing the character's facial expressions is one of my favorite part. You draw an expression, then you change one thing and get an (almost) entirely new one. It's really fun to play around with it. If you want to practice drawing it, I would suggest that you draw a head on one layer but without the mouth, eyebrows or even eyes and draw those on new layer, then you copy that layer and change on the first expression only one thing and then copy the changed layer and do the same thing again and again until you can come up with new things to change or you want to do it. (Sorry if the explanation is not good, I'm awful at explaining things.)

I’ve been reading a lot of manga lately and sort of looking at how the artists make the characters expressive. Next thing I plan on working on is a short 4-5 page comic with a chibified art style so I can focus more on expressiveness through posing and facial features instead of getting all hung up on anatomy and colors.
Good luck with the comic! If you need more manga with expressive artwork, I'm here.

Reactions: Gar For Archer
Behelit from Berserk. Happy with the line detail, but not sure how to give the eggshell depth. It looks to me like a bunch of 3D shapes painted on a flat and formless eggshell.

Practice piece made to test out CS Paint (instead of Photoshop). Lines made entirely with 'rough pencil' brush. Study piece but I wasn't going for an exact copy; differences in shape and location are intentional. Second pic is my reference photo (taken from the manga). Thanks.

behelit crop.jpg
behelit reference.jpg
behelit crop.jpg

behelit reference.jpg

IDontKnow902

kiwifarms.net
So I've been getting interested in traditional drawing over the past few months, mostly headshots of furfag stuff/ocs, but I have no drawing experience whatsoever. Got any tips/tutorials I can watch?

Neurotic Loser

Lurker who needs to Lurk MOAR
kiwifarms.net
So I've been getting interested in traditional drawing over the past few months, mostly headshots of furfag stuff/ocs, but I have no drawing experience whatsoever. Got any tips/tutorials I can watch?
Proko seems to do good tutorials for the basics. Once you got that down you can apply it anywhere and still get results.

Doctor Placebo

Soleimani's back. Tell a friend.
kiwifarms.net
if you wanted a logo, or maybe a tattoo, how would you change and finish this?
The big thing for logos is to simplify. You want a nice, simple clean shape. The more recognizable it is at a glance from a distance, the better. So no grey scale. Make it stark black and white (or black and whatever background color you're using) so that all the details pop really well. Reduce unnecessary lines wherever possible, like all the little rectangles that make up the uh, Death Star? shape. It's tough for a design this complex, but basically look to reduce the detail and simplify as much as you can without losing the clarity of what the image is supposed to be.

1594868095781.png1594868068264.png

The two drawings I shared on other drawthreads. I'm pretty much entirely self taught. I've gotten some mixed reactions. Give it to me straight, doc.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1451198View attachment 1451195

The two drawings I shared on other drawthreads. I'm pretty much entirely self taught. I've gotten some mixed reactions. Give it to me straight, doc.
You want it straight? Okay. I have no idea where you learned how to draw clothing and cloth, but holy shit, what you did, in the left one is on a whole level of not knowing what you're doing. There is so much wrong in these that trying to list them all out will probably make me have a seizure.

Go on YouTube and look up how to draw this shit and then go find reference and practice, practice, practice. If you need anatomy help, Michael Hampton has a great book on it (I did have him as a teacher and I learned so much from him). The book is on Amazon, and if you're broke, there are PDFs out there. Fuck, I'm sure you can find PDFs of the How to Draw Manga series, which actually has some useful books like how to draw clothing and fabric (they aren't tailored to kids, so that's why they're actually good).

Your linework sucks. The lines are shaky and look uncertain. If you're drawing with a Wacom or something (hopefully nothing from a Chinese brand), what you do is make broad strokes, they look confident and you can always undo until you get it how you want and erase any part of the stroke that's unneeded.

Distant Stare

Drop Feet First
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1297113

This is a gift I made trying out a new style

This reminds me of that big tech art that Google, YouTube, and FaceBook use that is purposely ugly. It uses bad proportions to blur the lines between male and females, and purposely ignores traditional beauty.

Well I deleted my post cuz I resolved the color issue on my own but you bring up a good point. I’m definitely aware that it’s an issue - I’m very bad with facial expressions in general (... pretty much the only expression I can instinctively draw is “neutral staring off into space, lmao) so I copied this one from a reference. The pose I did was intended to be sort of sassy and angular but it must have gotten lost in translation somewhere between sketches. I've changed it to a more neutral smug/smirking face (still roughly sketched) and I do think it looks a lot better (and is more in line with the expression I was going for in the first place), main difference being I just made the eyebrows a lot less prominent.

View attachment 1356589

I like the colors

JeaneJanae

Hiatus
kiwifarms.net
This reminds me of that big tech art that Google, YouTube, and FaceBook use that is purposely ugly. It uses bad proportions to blur the lines between male and females, and purposely ignores traditional beauty.

Well my intentions weren't to make the character ugly, especially considering it was gift, but it was my first time trying the style, so it was kinda bound to turn out bad, especially compared to my current style:

Crossover Ship ~ B and B.png
AU ~ Obsidian.png

Fanart ~ Rena.png
while these aren't my most recent pieces They are my personal faves

AutisticLoli

holier than thou
kiwifarms.net
1137 Sem Título_20200716082758.png
this is a drawing i did on my phone, i trace it from a real photo, any criticism?

Ps: this is not my art style.

Tags
None