Artists and Politics - can you tolerate them?

Question in post

• Total voters

samuraicrack

General Coughing Cyborg Man
kiwifarms.net
So how many of you guys are able to continue to support or enjoy content creators or artists if they have different political values than you do? Are you fine with giving them money if they’ll use said money to support causes or groups you dislike or don’t approve of? Can you think of any examples off the top of your head?

Fromtheblackdepths

A Pelagic Horror Arrives
kiwifarms.net
There is a serial called The Gods are Bastards where the author is like "I don't believe there is real villains in life and all people should be welcomed." And one of his main viewpoint characters is a former rapist and misogynist.

Then he put a stop to having comments on his site because one poster was "ignorant" or some shit like that. I still read it, but I don't support him through financial means.

That is not to mention having a polyamorous relationship between two adults and a college age student being portrayed as "alright."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Prophetic Spirit

Dumb of Dojima at its finest
kiwifarms.net
Only depends if the political views are sarcastic or ironic in their art.
If those are serious as shit, i prefer dodge. The actual interpretation of "realism" is so fucked up.

The-Patriarchy

The End Justifies the Memes
kiwifarms.net
There is a serial called The Gods are Bastards where the author is like "I don't believe there is real villains in life and all people should be welcomed." And one of his main viewpoint characters is a former rapist and misogynist.
LOL, people who refuse to believe in evil usually end up skinned alive by Hannibal Lecter in fiction.

(or they end up dead on the sidewalk in real life the first time they actually meet evil)

Strayserval

PeePee PooPoo
kiwifarms.net
personally i'd have to just stop looking at their stuff if it gets annoying, but in any other case i just dont give them money.

• Agree
Reactions: OJ Simpson

Fromtheblackdepths

A Pelagic Horror Arrives
kiwifarms.net
LOL, people who refuse to believe in evil usually end up skinned alive by Hannibal Lecter in fiction.

(or they end up dead on the sidewalk in real life the first time they actually meet evil)
It's not like it doesn't have asshole villains and stuff like that, but he tries to portray the big bads and masterminds as "understandable, yet still antagonistic."

Saxxon

Sperging on the internet is the future of society
kiwifarms.net
I think it all depends in how said view points are presented, if he is a smug cunt about how his side is going to "win" and how everyone that dares to oppose him will be throw to prison, he can suck a big fat one.
If is someone which work I really like but don't like his opinions, I do myself a favor and don't interact even knowlege the existence of his twitter.

Sperghetti

#waxmymeatballs
kiwifarms.net
To be honest, I don't actually pay a lot of attention to the creators of things these days, beyond sometimes looking for additional things they've made. There's a small handful of artists that I have respect for in terms of how they've handled things surrounding their creative work, but beyond that, I don't really care about the nuances of the people behind the creation.

Now if their personal beliefs start leaking into their creation in a way that makes said creation awkard or unpleasant, then no, I'm definitely not going to spend money on that. I tend not to spend money on media until after I already know I enjoy it, so I'm not paying for something I didn't enjoy.

• Agree
Reactions: The Fool

Kuchipatchi

I beat my meatchi
kiwifarms.net
If I follow the artist for their political views, fair enough. If I follow an artist for cute drawings or business advice and they're ranting about whatever issue for more than one post, I'll unfollow cuz I want to escape IRL troubles and issues and if they can't provide, they're not worth my time.
I've muted people on social media when BLM made it's round in late May cuz I knew that they'll post one or two things and move on like the goldfish they are. I don't know if they're still muted but oh well.

The problem with making a political statement is that if you don't agree with the person, they say YOU ARE LITERALLY HITLER AND YOU SHOULD BE DEPLATFORMED or something like that gets spouted because artists tend to have such a narrow view on the world. Especially on social media where it's grossly dominated by left wingers. Any sense of rational debate or discussion is lost on people like them.

That's what I think judging by my observations on Instagram.

• Agree
Reactions: Qajinima022

Qajinima022

Sweets Lover
kiwifarms.net
I don't really care that much about their political views, as long as they're not obnoxious about it and not constantly talk about their views online so much.

(Some artists can be pretty obnoxious about their views to share them on ther IG stories about stuff happening, I want to escape reality, not be reminded of it.) Which is ironic since I draw political stuff sometimes, but mostly grim or cute stuff now.

Last edited:
Every time i look at an artist's social media a part of me dies. As an artfag I find Ze Arts very important and even though I know artists are just as much of an opinionated assholes as the rest of us the way they talk about politics and their views always come of as assholeish especially if they have a massive ego. Sometimes it gets to the point where in interviews/twitter/facebook an artist says that if you don't like their politics don't buy their shit, granted these people then to be more political ideologues than artists who would rather burn everything to the ground then let something exist they don't agree with but these are the non-independent people who were handed the keys to the kingdom.

IMO in the current climate if you're an artist or someone who sells to everyone you should not talk about politics unless you want to, or ready to, potentially alienate half your audience especially if you're an indie. Sucks that we got to a point where this is a stance that has to be considered but there it is.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As long as they can create something without their views influencing what they're making.

People probably gonna make fun of me for it, but I watch Jim Sterling. I know he's a huge faggot, I know he sucks tranny cocks, but his videos are entertaining and he's pretty charismatic, and most importantly, he keeps most of his views out of his videos, only really showcasing ones everyone agrees with. It's funny cuz my friend showed him to me like "You're either gonna like him or hate him" cuz he didn't know if I'd judge his content based on who he is as a person or not.

Tags
None