Artix Entertainment - A decaying mismanaged relic of Flash games

casE sensiTive

kiwifarms.net
I've been playing their games since 2005 and I still play and keep up with them fairly regularly.

I was really into Adventure Quest classic early last decade when they were rolling out massive balance changes (known as the sweep back then). However they lost 2 major staff members at the end of 2014 and ever since then things just haven't been the same. One of the staff (Lord Barrius) was in charge of several storylines and played a big role in the item design. You can tell the staff were struggling for some time after. Story progress has been slow since and they've switched to smaller yearly stories. There has been several massive overhauls of old items (even recently with the paladin update) but overall the meta has shifted in a way I can't keep up with nor do I enjoy. I still go on every now and then but I don't find as much enjoyment.

Dragonfable has been the most consistent game out of all of them. The story still gets updated twice a month and is easy to follow along. It doesn't AQ's issue where a large part of the early story was lost to time, or became very convoluted. The staff also adds challenge fights at the start of each month for endgame players. Only problem I have is that the updates are very small, sometimes being a short cutscene, which is understandable because I think there's less than 5 people working on the game. I give huge props to both AQ and DF's team for keeping up with weekly releases with such limited resources.

AQW on the other hand is a shitshow. It's a dress up game with extremely simplistic combat. There is a huge focus on microtransactions and rare items. I'd hate to be the artist who has to constantly churn out art that will only be in the game for a month. In general art quality has dipped in the past 2 years. The story haven't been good since the Chaos Lords saga ended in 2014. Gameplay is still the same as when the game launched a decade ago. There's also several items, some of which do affect gameplay, that require long monotonous grinds. This has lead to botting, which lead to future items having even bigger grinds. I don't think the game was ever good, but after doing the same shit for so long the polish has worn off.

Epic Duel seemed cool when I first tried it, but had too much microtransactions for me to get into. I never touched AQ3D. The rest of the games are kind of dead sadly. From what I've seen the company is horribly mismanaged. Artix is a manchild suited for a creative role not managing a company. That NES game really sealed the deal for me.

Also AQW's community figurehead Vesper got fired last year and became an instathot.

Robo Sonichu

https://sonichu.com/cwcki/Cakefarts
kiwifarms.net
I did a WHOIS lookup on adambohn.com, and some other searching around. Looked through some public records, and put together this dox. Ain't US public records a beautiful thing?

Adam Bohn's Lolcow Whitepage

- Name: Adam Lee Bohn
- DOB: 12/30/1975 (Age 44)
- Postal Address: 19804 Sea Rider Way, Lutz, FL 33559
- Legal Address: 24410 Rolling View Court, Lutz, FL 33559

- Family:
| Deborah Ann Bohn (Mother)
| Rodney Charles Bohn (Father)

- Known phone numbers:
| +1 (813) 926-3456 (Business)
| +1 (813) 340-5931 (Personal)
| +1 (727) 376-8877 (Not 100%)

- Known email addresses:
| artix@me.com (Business/Personal)

- Company info:
| Headquarters: 16506 Pointe Village Dr, Ste 201, Lutz, FL, 33558
| Phone: (813) 774-8493
| Website: www.artix.com
| Revenue: $38 Million (Not 100%)

- Notes:
| Not my best work, but it's something.
| HaveIBeenPwned.com reveals that artix@me.com was found on 5 breaches, though I couldn't be bothered to look through sketchier parts of the internet for the databases

• Informative
Reactions: Drakonnan

IceGray

"Dude, where's the bus?"
kiwifarms.net
I believe Adam Bohn's been fairly well known though not many players bother to bug him instead of the paladin.

Mad props to Tomix (Dove) though, he seems to genuinely love DF enough to stick to working on it.

Yes, AQW has lost the plot after the Chaos saga ended. I was kinda expecting a plot on how the player character deals with the consequences of the rampage. Instead, we get another world-ending threat that is killed off by another threat, and it escalates quickly.

After seeing the shitshow that is social media, company-mandated OCs for kids' games might be a good idea.
Perhaps, depending on how separate they are from the staff's real lives.

Markorian

kiwifarms.net
I believe Adam Bohn's been fairly well known though not many players bother to bug him instead of the paladin.

Mad props to Tomix (Dove) though, he seems to genuinely love DF enough to stick to working on it.

Yes, AQW has lost the plot after the Chaos saga ended. I was kinda expecting a plot on how the player character deals with the consequences of the rampage. Instead, we get another world-ending threat that is killed off by another threat, and it escalates quickly.

Perhaps, depending on how separate they are from the staff's real lives.
Yeah, given that Tomix is likely the reason DF hasn't gone the way of MQ yet, I'm willing to put up with some minor Mary sue ocs from him. He's also by far the best artist AE ever hired.

IceGray

"Dude, where's the bus?"
kiwifarms.net
Tbf I wonder how Tomix managed to convince Artix to let him keep DF up and running, when AE was intent on just leaving the other Lore games in suspended animation.

He doesn't seem burned out like Ash either.

Markorian

kiwifarms.net
Tbf I wonder how Tomix managed to convince Artix to let him keep DF up and running, when AE was intent on just leaving the other Lore games in suspended animation.

He doesn't seem burned out like Ash either.
Since DF isn't an mmo like AQW, server upkeep is probably pretty cheap, and even without a subscription membership or even the slightest influx of new players, just having some tomix weapons and gear available for dragoncoins keeps the super devoted collectors paying in a trickle to always be able to afford them. I'm pretty sure Tomix does art and animation for more than just DF, he's just the DF lead. Tomix gets a canvas to work on his passion project, and AE gets high quality art to milk what remains of their drying up cash cow, aqw. Win-win.

Last edited:
Tags
None