Careercow Ash/Anna Kreider / Wundergeek / Go Make Me a Sandwich - Takes Feminist Gamer Critic to a New Level

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
The weird part is how close she is to getting it but doesnt quite make the conection that she has no idea what transitioning to gender queer means and has made no actual changes to herself.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
The weird part is how close she is to getting it but doesnt quite make the conection that she has no idea what transitioning to gender queer means and has made no actual changes to herself.
If I remember correctly, gender queer and non-binary are different. I guess she could get rid of her feminine breasts, get a hysterectormy, find a way to seal up her privates, and get facial surgery to look more androgynous.

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
I wanted to circle back to Anna's game, The Watch, which I mentioned here. Basically, it's a game about how the concept of masculinity is evil. Literal, tangible, soul-corrupting evil. I guess it could be more broadly applied as social/peer pressure being bad, but Anna never misses a moment to talk about how much she hates men.

Given her screed about how Drew Medeiros emotionally abused her, and how Drew dropped out of the tabletop scene in late 2017, I'm guessing that the roles were reversed. She was the abuser, and when Drew rebuffed her and left the abusive friendship they were in, she pulled a DARVO. The magic of SocJus is that everything bad that happens to you can be framed as abuse by ascribing malice based upon gender to the perpetrator. So naturally, Anna takes to this mindset like a fish to water.

1.png

So "queer" means "people who are carbon copies of me". Okay Anna. I'm sure you fit right in with all the BPDs, narcissists, and other generally emotionally abusive people in the "queer" community. This is another benefit of drinking the SocJus Kool-Aid: the army of enablers who will reassure you that everything bad that ever happens to you is not your fault, but the fault of those evil white cis men, who are evil because they are white and cis and men, and they hate you because you're not one of them.

• Lunacy
Reactions: UnsufficentBoobage

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
I wanted to circle back to Anna's game, The Watch, which I mentioned here. Basically, it's a game about how the concept of masculinity is evil. Literal, tangible, soul-corrupting evil. I guess it could be more broadly applied as social/peer pressure being bad, but Anna never misses a moment to talk about how much she hates men.

Given her screed about how Drew Medeiros emotionally abused her, and how Drew dropped out of the tabletop scene in late 2017, I'm guessing that the roles were reversed. She was the abuser, and when Drew rebuffed her and left the abusive friendship they were in, she pulled a DARVO. The magic of SocJus is that everything bad that happens to you can be framed as abuse by ascribing malice based upon gender to the perpetrator. So naturally, Anna takes to this mindset like a fish to water.

View attachment 1304802

So "queer" means "people who are carbon copies of me". Okay Anna. I'm sure you fit right in with all the BPDs, narcissists, and other generally emotionally abusive people in the "queer" community. This is another benefit of drinking the SocJus Kool-Aid: the army of enablers who will reassure you that everything bad that ever happens to you is not your fault, but the fault of those evil white cis men, who are evil because they are white and cis and men, and they hate you because you're not one of them.
So who wants to take one for the team and review The Watch? When you think about it, this world is going to have a problem with all the CISmen, masculine nb/fluids, and ftm trannies being warped. Who is going to repopulate this world? The MTF trannies would probably have their disphoria triggered with penis-in-vagina sex.

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
So who wants to take one for the team and review The Watch? When you think about it, this world is going to have a problem with all the CISmen, masculine nb/fluids, and ftm trannies being warped. Who is going to repopulate this world? The MTF trannies would probably have their disphoria triggered with penis-in-vagina sex.
Fine, I'll do it.

We start with a bare bones of an introduction. The people were a group of semi-nomadic hunters, gathers, traders, basically Native Americans with the serial numbers filed off. Them some undefined Shadow attacked, and the men of the clans all decided to join the Shadow for no adequately explained reason, so now there's a new army called the Watch, comprised of non-men.

1.png

Yes Anna, because all those military stories keep women out due to misogyny. I'm already regretting doing this.

2.png

So apparently it's not the male physiology that makes people get corrupted by the Shadow, but how you identify? Even if your gender is fluid, that's still enough? How does that even work?

3.png

So long story short, "gender" means whatever they want it to mean.

4.png

Or maybe it just means how you feel on the inside. I'm sure that definition won't get abused. But the last paragraph makes it sound like gender doesn't matter at all. My guess is that Anna included the trans/non-binary/genderfluid stuff as a concession to the woke crowd.

5.png

Thanks for clearing that up, Anna.

6.png

I still don't understand why you couldn't do that with literally any other game. It's not like men are going to peek in your windows to make sure you're not playing it the wrong way.

7.png

There's the normal spiel about emotional safety, wherein Anna quotes the most authoritative person she could find for the subject. I'm starting to think that Anna wrote this with an audience of one in mind: herself.

8.png

Support for my hypothesis is growing.

The system itself isn't too different from any other PbtA game. There's a focus on trust built up amount the PCs as a spendable resource, as well as stress from the trauma of war and becoming jaded.

What is different is that the actual missions themselves is relatively glossed over. Almost all of the moves are about the interpersonal relationships between the characters, which... okay. It just seems odd to set up such a conflict and then have it take a back seat. It's not that the mechanics are bad--because they aren't. Strip away the gendered bullshit, and you could have a pretty fun game about coping with war, even if the focus is mostly on what happens during downtime.

9.png

Yeah, this is a game about opening up with tearful hugs rather than actually fighting. The only weapons a woman needs is shame.

10.png
11.png

Don't be shy, Anna. Tell us how you really feel.

I love how she says "toxic masculinity" in one breath and then says that feminine behaviors can be toxic as well, but of course, all of these behaviors arise from the fault of men.

What's really interesting is that this check to Resist the Shadow is called out by the MC, but the last paragraph frames it as just politely asking, "Hey, aren't they being toxic right now?" Anna desperately wants to be the toxic police, able to shame and silence anyone doing something that she deems unacceptable.

12.png

I think you're kind of toxic yourself, Anna.

I'm going to skip over the character classes and get right to the good stuff in the GMs part.

13.png

What? The Shadow is an allegory about toxic masculinity? Well knock me over with a feather, I did not see that coming!

Anna subscribes to the Geek Feminist description of patriarchy in that it's a way to take the evils of society and assign it a gender, therefore putting all responsibility on men. When women do something toxic, it's because they've internalized the messages of men.

14.png

The Shadow manifests itself in the game as a tempting force, you can achieve more power by becoming more jaded or submitting to losing control of your character for a while. I really do think that this is how Anna views all men, as violent, uncaring, and selfish.

15.png
16.png

These are the traits that Anna ascribes to the Shadow. And on some level, I kind of get it. There's a lot of harmful stuff in there that affects everyone. But Anna has made is crystal clear that these issues are all the fault of men. By doing so, she not only abandons responsibility, she emphasizes her own passivity and lack of agency. Men have agency, women don't. Therefore when things are bad, the blame lies solely on the men, and they don't deserve sympathy.

In Anna's quest to decry the patriarchy, she's only too happy to give into her own trap of a female gender role: forever the passive victim, unable to draw a line from herself to the outcome she wants without demanding other people do it for her.

It's too bad that Anna feels this way, because apart from the nonsense about the patriarchy... she is a decent writer. This was way easier on the eyes than iHunt. If you could clear away the stench of victim feminism, you could have a good game. But as long as Anna's misandry continues to be an anchor around her neck, she can't see how she herself is chained by the same rigid gender issues, nor can she find any solution to her problems other than to impotently seethe against all men everywhere.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
I wonder why Anna only get to run for trans people 'rarely'? Is she even running the watch on the regular basis with a group which wants to play?

I wonder if Anna is aware the social dynamics she's set up in the watch don't really subvert the traditional patriarcal power structure but meerly modify them? Pretty much everything Anna and co rally against find their origins in martial based pre-industrial social structures, inverting it and the increased emphasis on the martial aspects of the society would very very quickly demote males and probably her gender fluid buddies to second and third class citizens, especially once moral corruption by the shadow is associated with men. Unless you're working on the presumption that women are inherantly nicer than men this society is going to be a total nightmare in about a 100 years......which will fall to shadow if it works the way Anna implies it does.

found a copy

Some notes

Critical
-Anna's understanding of toxic masculinity is pretty limited, she seems to think of it as just grumpy stoicism but never really notes the underlying rage, how it evolves or deeper emotional issues, this is unsuprising since anna is deeply angry in an unhealthy way and probably doesnt consider loosing your temper a toxic trait.
-She doesnt seem aware of the distinction between toxic masculinity and traditional masculinity. This is probably an extenction of her lack of formal education on the subject and her misandrist streak,
-The information of the Shadow is borderline non-existant their's even a comment on page 135 which explicitly discourges you from exploring it's motivations. Their's nothing about how mechanically it works outside of pc corruption mechanics, nothing of it's nature, no discusson of magics or warriors and none of the weird orc monsters shown in the art or the evil badass sorceress on page 141 are written up.
-The clans look closer to fully fledged fuedal 'nations' of around principality size at a guess, they're given less than a paragraph each. Which is alarming because the setting apparantly has enough land to have differant ethnicicities looking at the art and clan is apparantly a big plot point.
-The fluff itself is threadbare, nothing about economics, politics, faith, tech level get much writting, The word for word the book spends more time going through step by step how the game is expected to be run, the authors expectations of what a GM is to do and the very specific style of play gaming over adding tools for gaming. I suspect the safe space, comfort zone x-card shit probably takes up more space than the setting fluff.

Positive
-the art is pretty good
-the mechanics are pretty solid at a glance.
-I love a bit of gritty low fantasy so the more the merrier.
-Class system looks pretty interesting.

Petty shit which technically qualifies as critique

-Anna uses herself as Gm for in game examples and gave it the pretentious title mistress of ceremonies.
-The books response to q&a query of misandry is a flat no.
-The setting map is shit and devoid of detail
-Looking at the art the winner of the war is whoever invents the helmet first.

Last edited:

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
Fine, I'll do it.

We start with a bare bones of an introduction. The people were a group of semi-nomadic hunters, gathers, traders, basically Native Americans with the serial numbers filed off. Them some undefined Shadow attacked, and the men of the clans all decided to join the Shadow for no adequately explained reason, so now there's a new army called the Watch, comprised of non-men.

View attachment 1305187

Yes Anna, because all those military stories keep women out due to misogyny. I'm already regretting doing this.

View attachment 1305188

So apparently it's not the male physiology that makes people get corrupted by the Shadow, but how you identify? Even if your gender is fluid, that's still enough? How does that even work?

View attachment 1305189

So long story short, "gender" means whatever they want it to mean.

View attachment 1305190

Or maybe it just means how you feel on the inside. I'm sure that definition won't get abused. But the last paragraph makes it sound like gender doesn't matter at all. My guess is that Anna included the trans/non-binary/genderfluid stuff as a concession to the woke crowd.

View attachment 1305191

Thanks for clearing that up, Anna.

View attachment 1305192

I still don't understand why you couldn't do that with literally any other game. It's not like men are going to peek in your windows to make sure you're not playing it the wrong way.

View attachment 1305193

There's the normal spiel about emotional safety, wherein Anna quotes the most authoritative person she could find for the subject. I'm starting to think that Anna wrote this with an audience of one in mind: herself.

View attachment 1305194

Support for my hypothesis is growing.

The system itself isn't too different from any other PbtA game. There's a focus on trust built up amount the PCs as a spendable resource, as well as stress from the trauma of war and becoming jaded.

What is different is that the actual missions themselves is relatively glossed over. Almost all of the moves are about the interpersonal relationships between the characters, which... okay. It just seems odd to set up such a conflict and then have it take a back seat. It's not that the mechanics are bad--because they aren't. Strip away the gendered bullshit, and you could have a pretty fun game about coping with war, even if the focus is mostly on what happens during downtime.

View attachment 1305195

Yeah, this is a game about opening up with tearful hugs rather than actually fighting. The only weapons a woman needs is shame.

View attachment 1305196
View attachment 1305197

Don't be shy, Anna. Tell us how you really feel.

I love how she says "toxic masculinity" in one breath and then says that feminine behaviors can be toxic as well, but of course, all of these behaviors arise from the fault of men.

What's really interesting is that this check to Resist the Shadow is called out by the MC, but the last paragraph frames it as just politely asking, "Hey, aren't they being toxic right now?" Anna desperately wants to be the toxic police, able to shame and silence anyone doing something that she deems unacceptable.

View attachment 1305198

I think you're kind of toxic yourself, Anna.

I'm going to skip over the character classes and get right to the good stuff in the GMs part.

View attachment 1305199

What? The Shadow is an allegory about toxic masculinity? Well knock me over with a feather, I did not see that coming!

Anna subscribes to the Geek Feminist description of patriarchy in that it's a way to take the evils of society and assign it a gender, therefore putting all responsibility on men. When women do something toxic, it's because they've internalized the messages of men.

View attachment 1305200

The Shadow manifests itself in the game as a tempting force, you can achieve more power by becoming more jaded or submitting to losing control of your character for a while. I really do think that this is how Anna views all men, as violent, uncaring, and selfish.

View attachment 1305202
View attachment 1305203

These are the traits that Anna ascribes to the Shadow. And on some level, I kind of get it. There's a lot of harmful stuff in there that affects everyone. But Anna has made is crystal clear that these issues are all the fault of men. By doing so, she not only abandons responsibility, she emphasizes her own passivity and lack of agency. Men have agency, women don't. Therefore when things are bad, the blame lies solely on the men, and they don't deserve sympathy.

In Anna's quest to decry the patriarchy, she's only too happy to give into her own trap of a female gender role: forever the passive victim, unable to draw a line from herself to the outcome she wants without demanding other people do it for her.

It's too bad that Anna feels this way, because apart from the nonsense about the patriarchy... she is a decent writer. This was way easier on the eyes than iHunt. If you could clear away the stench of victim feminism, you could have a good game. But as long as Anna's misandry continues to be an anchor around her neck, she can't see how she herself is chained by the same rigid gender issues, nor can she find any solution to her problems other than to impotently seethe against all men everywhere.
I find it interesting that the shadow turns women very beautiful and how that's corruption. Then again, SJW feminists hate conventional beauty and the appreciation of said kind of beauty. In a way, it's like the Dark Powers from Ravenloft if it was ran by angry feminists.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
Some follow up thoughts

It's too bad that Anna feels this way, because apart from the nonsense about the patriarchy... she is a decent writer. This was way easier on the eyes than iHunt. If you could clear away the stench of victim feminism, you could have a good game. But as long as Anna's misandry continues to be an anchor around her neck, she can't see how she herself is chained by the same rigid gender issues, nor can she find any solution to her problems other than to impotently seethe against all men everywhere. [/SPOILER]

When reading it I got the idea that the shadows conceptionalization was malformed, Kreider wants to it tied to the 'male' but has to account for transgenders and genderqueer society since she's heavily into that stuff. This effectively puts her in a situation where it's linked with a mindset rather than biology/mysticism which she then struggles to coherantly articulate what exactly she's rallying against. She doesnt even really consider that under her logic a transman would be as vunlrable to the shadow as a regular man unless she implicitly confirms that transmen are distinct from other men. She's effectively caught in a web of her own contradictory intentions.
She should have gone with the explanation that the shadow isnt fair and is linked with magic principles so anyone born with a dong is a target-it actually works pretty well because it reflect how crushingly unfair irl is as far as she's concearned, since trans people tend to have quite niche perspectives in societies and are in relatively low numbers you can soft ball the whole thing away. I

I find it interesting that the shadow turns women very beautiful and how that's corruption. Then again, SJW feminists hate conventional beauty and the appreciation of said kind of beauty. In a way, it's like the Dark Powers from Ravenloft if it was ran by angry feminists.
Makes sense specifically from Anna's perspective she's often mentioned her frustration at not fitting in (which often seems to have been people telling her to stop being such an angry bitch.) and her loathing of female sexuality is palpable in quite a few of her posts. She is overtly sex negative so god only knows what she makes of happy women who are either attractive or percieve themselves to be.

Last edited:

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
Some follow up thoughts

When reading it I got the idea that the shadows conceptionalization was malformed, Kreider wants to it tied to the 'male' but has to account for transgenders and genderqueer society since she's heavily into that stuff. This effectively puts her in a situation where it's linked with a mindset rather than biology/mysticism which she then struggles to coherantly articulate what exactly she's rallying against. She doesnt even really consider that under her logic a transman would be as vunlrable to the shadow as a regular man unless she implicitly confirms that transmen are distinct from other men. She's effectively caught in a web of her own contradictory intentions.
She should have gone with the explanation that the shadow isnt fair and is linked with magic principles so anyone born with a dong is a target-it actually works pretty well because it reflect how crushingly unfair irl is as far as she's concearned, since trans people tend to have quite niche perspectives in societies and are in relatively low numbers you can soft ball the whole thing away. I

Makes sense specifically from Anna's perspective she's often mentioned her frustration at not fitting in (which often seems to have been people telling her to stop being such an angry bitch.) and her loathing of female sexuality is palpable in quite a few of her posts. She is overtly sex negative so god only knows what she makes of happy women who are either attractive or percieve themselves to be.
And what is it with SJWs and their belief that true trans people are at least 20% of the world population? Or that matching genitals can create babies? As I said before, the world of The Watch is in trouble in the long run with most of their penis-having people being messed up.

Anna/Ash has a new name. look and pronouns. That's gotta be confusing for their daughter.

• Lunacy
Reactions: UnsufficentBoobage
Tags
None