Careercow Ash/Anna Kreider / Wundergeek / Go Make Me a Sandwich - Takes Feminist Gamer Critic to a New Level

MMX

True defective
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was bored and I found out that she's re-opened her Pateron and is now using it to redo older articles from her site. I wonder what's going to happen when she runs out of articles to redo and it doesn't seem like enough for the $191 she's getting per article.
$191 to edit old posts
That's the definition of money for old rope

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
As you know, I like to check on her and she's got a new game out and when read the first part, I was thinking, "This actually sounds interesting. A game about stolen memories and fighting back to keep what you have. Are you sure Anna came up with this? Heck, maybe I've been wrong about her."

Then I read the second-to-last paragraph...
Resistance against the system is not possible. A game about androids fighting their masters for autonomy and free will would be an interesting game, but Factory Reset is not that game.
Same depressing, hopeless stuff she occasionally does. (At least it's not anti-male.) What the heck is it with these SJW game designers and their anti-heroism, anti-fun designs?

Feline Darkmage

Gamer Gril Queen
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
the top post on her patron reads in part
Formerly, this Patreon was for my blog of the same name. However, in 2016 I shut down the blog due to long-running harassment and my inability to deal with the emotional fallout of that harassment - though everything I wrote for Go Make Me a Sandwich is still available and can be freely referenced by anyone who wishes to do so.
lmao.

• Informative
Reactions: Pina Colada

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
Anna's newer Twitter post reminds me that not everything Carrie Fisher did was good: "Folks, I'm having all of the sad feels about Space Mom today. Carrie Fisher was my only famous role model for what it was to be a fat, loudmouthed, unabashedly feminist, openly crazy badass mom who had zero fucks - AND STILL BE FUCKING SUCCESSFUL. She left us too soon."

• Feels
Reactions: UnsufficentBoobage

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
Anna's newer Twitter post reminds me that not everything Carrie Fisher did was good: "Folks, I'm having all of the sad feels about Space Mom today. Carrie Fisher was my only famous role model for what it was to be a fat, loudmouthed, unabashedly feminist, openly crazy badass mom who had zero fucks - AND STILL BE FUCKING SUCCESSFUL. She left us too soon."
Decided to look into this Anna person, I never heard of her company before or any of her books and I certainly have nothing of her's in my RPG trove. Her artworks fine, but she doesn't do anything unique with her style. It's just your typical webcomic style stolen from other more successful people.

If she wants to be successful, work on games that will sell and try and be unique with your drawings.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
She's also a critic of RPGs if you check out her site, Go Make Me a Sandwich. She has potiental as an RPG creator, but she focuses too much on misery.

MMX

True defective
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
She's also a critic of RPGs if you check out her site, Go Make Me a Sandwich. She has potiental as an RPG creator, but she focuses too much on misery.
I'm honestly surprised she didn't jump on the Warhammer 40k is problematic band wagon that was going around last year given her hatred for anything fun, guess she burnt out on hating pathfinder.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
I'm honestly surprised she didn't jump on the Warhammer 40k is problematic band wagon that was going around last year given her hatred for anything fun, guess she burnt out on hating pathfinder.
She did quit her site over a year ago so she might've missed it.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
My pet lolcow has been getting getting a little nuttier. While it's nice that she's got a job in tech, she's still the same "enjoyable" person she is.

I have been told that I was too "controversial" to work with, and that I would negatively damage the brand of a company that I approached with a winning business proposition, and I'm still here, still making games I'm excited about.

-Tfw you need sweaters but are a masc-leabing afab genderqueer who lives in Canada. 99% of men's are too big and all of the women's have warmth defeating feminine features, like random holes or 3/4 sleeves. I JUST WANT TO BE GENDER NEUTRAL AND WARM.
-Also, sidebar, I'm growing frustrated with the phrase "women and femmes" because I don't feel like it includes butch genderqueer nbs like me, as someone who is not a woman or femme but is mistaken for one, which is why I've started referring to "woman-appearing people".
-So while I often have a fair amount of anxiety about not looking "NB enough", one nice side effect of owning that I don't identify as a woman was a shift in expectations for myself that led to a lot less body hate.
YHE Says: She hates men (especially white ones), but is disgusted at being a woman, being mistaken for a woman and wants to look masculine. It makes me wonder and feel a bit bad for her.

The thing that men don't understand about sexism is how common it is for women to have encounters that are really rattling that we never tell anyone about, not even our partners, because it's so normal that by the end of the day we've forgotten. Case in point, I stopped at Tim Horton's on my way to get my car fixed, and ran into a dude that seriously gave me the willies. He licked his lips at me when I got out of my car, started to approach me when I was going in, and was staring at me when I left the store. It's impossible for me to quantify why I reacted so strongly, but something about the dude got my fight-or-flight really keyed up. I'm sitting, waiting for my car, nerves a-jangle and feeling really keyed up. But I can't even quantify to myself what spooked me so bad... ...so how could I tell my partner? Worse are the levels of plausible deniability. It's currently colder than the surface of Mars where I live, so lip licking isn't itself a weird thing. Also, maybe he was walking toward me because he just wanted to buy a coffee. Shit, maybe he was just looking at my blue hair, since I re-blued it yesterday. Who knows. How do I make that into an interesting story? "Ran into a dude at Tim's that really rattled me, but maybe I was overreacting or maybe I was right who knows" That's the real mindfuck of having to exist with this stuff. YOU NEVER FUCKING KNOW. But EVERY WOMAN and WOMAN APPEARING PERSON has these conditioned responses. Because sometimes the worst happens.

And this: "I just went to see The Last Jedi for a third time, and then I came home and am working on my LARP about parenting as resistance. BRING IT, 2018."

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
It seems like whever I look at her Twitter, the more unhinged she gets.

But even Card Kingdom managed to do better than @Paizo, which managed to open mouth, insert foot with this super TERFy meme which features all their cis women iconics, but IS MISSING THE TRANS WOMAN ICONIC.
Here's @wwpublishing 's #IWD2018offering - a meme featuring Rachel Dolium - a child-abusing, woman-hating, TERF.

Despite having a wealth of awesome NOT TERFy women characters they could have gone with, they chose the TERF. Which, honestly, better to not post anything at all. (Rachel is supposed to be a villainous character and it seems like Anna has a sense of hate towards CIS, binary women).

So, you know, good job, gaming. Way to make it clear that the majority of publishers and companies being UTTERLY SILENT about #IWD2018 was actually the better choice, since obviously you can't be trusted to even some empty lip service right.
Like, just because I'm not PRODUCING A THING doesn't mean it's not worthwhile? So maybe I need to stop being a dumbass and convert my Patreon to monthly. (Except not today, because I'm going to see Black Panther)
So I keep not doing the thing I say I want to do with my Patreon because I end up getting derailed by social justice stuff and doing emotional labor for marginalized folks in games, and talking to @Kiranansi made me realize I'm being dumb about doing all this labor for free. Like, just because I'm not PRODUCING A THING doesn't mean it's not worthwhile? So maybe I need to stop being a dumbass and convert my Patreon to monthly. (Except not today, because I'm going to see Black Panther.) (She's now planning to add providing emmotional labor to marginalized folks as part of her Pateron.)

This is your reminder that SOCIAL JUSTICE PARTY BALANCE IS IMPORTANT. Not everyone should aspire to be a Social Justice Warrior - Social Justice Healers and DPS are important too! (For that matter, so are Social Justice Masons and Farmers and shit.)

I've said it before, in a way I see her as my dark mirror since we've have some siminlarites in our pasts, disorders, our RPG work, our hobbies, etc.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
I'm not every sure what she's trying to say here.
My guess...

First one: Boo, Paizo had only CIS women in their International Women's Day picture with no trannies in sight! Boo on White Wolf for having a villainous CIS woman as their representive character for IDW! The tabletop gaming industry is full of assholes!

Second one: Just because I haven't put up any new contient in months doesn't mean supporting me is a wasted effort! I've been too busy being an SJW and helping out margenalized people in a way with emmotional labor (whatever that is) than making the articles that shitlady huntresses can examine like I promised!

Third one: I'm making a tabletop gaming reference joke that goes along with being an SJW.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
She changed her Patreon to Monthly and this is what it says...
So why should you support me?

I make space for marginalized people in gaming, both as creators and participants. How do I do this?

I describe problems that are acting as barriers to marginalized creators and players in ways that start conversations and get people to pay attention.

While I don’t post actively to my blog anymore, I am still very active on Google+ and Twitter. Something I spend a lot of time doing is observing patterns of interaction and putting them into words in ways that clarify the problem for people with privilege. Some threads that have gotten a lot of traction on my public Google+ page include:
  • #Metoo and reprocessing things you didn’t know were terrible at the time
  • Masculinity, the limitations of imagination, and violence
  • Games centering not-men and the dilemma of commercial success requiring men to think that those games are really about them
  • Inclusivity and the impossibility of being inclusive AND staying neutral
  • How to professionally connect with a woman without being weird or creepy

I’m also pretty good at making viral threads on Twitter about social justice stuff. Here are some things that I’ve gotten a lot of views for yelling at Twitter about the past few months:
  • #timesup, #metoo, and how gaming isn’t going to shape up any time soon if they can’t even get International Women’s Day memes right
  • Social justice party balance is important
  • Cyber harassment and why it traumatizes people for life
  • Women don’t tell men about rattling sexist encounters because they’re so fucking normal that we forget about them almost right away

I also travel to a lot of conventions to do panels

2017 was a banner year for conventions for me! And I got to be on a lot of great panels, including:
  • Metatopia: Cruel to be kind - designing games that hurt
  • Metatopia: We have always GMed
  • Metatopia: Mental illness and addiction - you can still make your game
  • Breakout 2017: Illustrating for RPGs
  • FanExpo: Panels on GMing and Freelancing

Most importantly: I do a lot of labor (both emotional and actual) to make and hold space for marginalized people in games

Here is just some of the work that I have been doing the past few months:
  • I spend A LOT of spoons on emotional labor for marginalized people who are having trouble existing in games. There are so many marginalized people in our community that are hurting because they feel unseen and unheard and I do what I can to support these people when I can.
  • I co-organize a gaming space that is chock full of gender diverse and queer folks.
  • When I have spoons to spare, I take on some social justice tanking to pull focus on issues that are making people feel unheard, but where some backlash will be drawn.
  • I have used my position of “authority” and “credibility” to push people with power to make real, meaningful change.

And here are some things that I hope to be able to do in the upcoming months, in addition to community organizing, ongoing emotional labor and awareness-raising

• I’ve devoted a lot of time and brainpower to the question of how to make it so that privileged gamers buy games by and about folks who don’t look like them, and I’ve started having serious planning conversations with a few folks about getting something new off the ground to help.
  • I want to be able to distill everything that I have learned about being a self-publishing game designer into easy accessible ways that make it easier for marginalized gamers to get into game design - including making tools to help people doing DIY game layout. I also want to make a publicly accessible version of the tool I made myself for budgeting and planning my most recent Kickstarter, since the budget ended up being greatly successful.

Importantly, this is not a permanent commitment. You can withdraw your support at any time. Thank you for your support!

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
As you know, I like to check on her and she's got a new game out and when read the first part, I was thinking, "This actually sounds interesting. A game about stolen memories and fighting back to keep what you have. Are you sure Anna came up with this? Heck, maybe I've been wrong about her."

Then I read the second-to-last paragraph...

Same depressing, hopeless stuff she occasionally does. (At least it's not anti-male.) What the heck is it with these SJW game designers and their anti-heroism, anti-fun designs?
They never played actual games before so they develop "games" their own way. Usually meaning that both the fluff and crunch is god awful. Hell, they idea of a larp game mechanics is just Ro Sham Bo which is usually impossible to fuck up.

My guess...

First one: Boo, Paizo had only CIS women in their International Women's Day picture with no trannies in sight! Boo on White Wolf for having a villainous CIS woman as their representive character for IDW! The tabletop gaming industry is full of assholes!

Second one: Just because I haven't put up any new contient in months doesn't mean supporting me is a wasted effort! I've been too busy being an SJW and helping out margenalized people in a way with emmotional labor (whatever that is) than making the articles that shitlady huntresses can examine like I promised!

Third one: I'm making a tabletop gaming reference joke that goes along with being an SJW.
Crystal Frasier wasn't on it? Paizo doesn't have a lot of women working near them besides Crystal and well I'll let her Twitter account speak for them.

Tags
None