Science Astronomers spot ‘cosmic web’ that sticks the universe together -

How close are we to finally piercing the veil of nature and discovering the secrets of the universe?

• Very close

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Close

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Halfway there

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Far away

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Very far away

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • We've barely even started yet, really

Votes: 124 83.8%

• Total voters

Yotsubaaa

Happy Halloween!
kiwifarms.net

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
The title of the article, as is unfortunately common for our times, seems a little clickbaity. There are tenuous strands of hydrogen linking across the universe that bears a mild resemblance to a spiderweb, so the editors have to make it sound like the stuff actually "sticks" galaxies together like literal spider silk because god forbid they not dumb it down.

has black science man given his two-cents yet?
*smug chuckle* well actually, a spiderweb across the universe isn't that impressive, because the average person will never be more than 4 feet away from a spider in their life. *serenely misses the point as usual because he's hung up on assuming his audience are all stupid toddlers*

No Exit

No dignity
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The title of the article, as is unfortunately common for our times, seems a little clickbaity. There are tenuous strands of hydrogen linking across the universe that bears a mild resemblance to a spiderweb, so the editors have to make it sound like the stuff actually "sticks" galaxies together like literal spider silk because god forbid they not dumb it down.
Yeah I came in to ask about this. I thought the cosmic web theory was already considered true due to the particle highways or whatever they're called. Also the model of the current known universe already showed the "web" so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

RLS0812

Just A Fox
kiwifarms.net
I read the article a couple times ... reads more like science fiction that reality. So much speculation, not a lot of solid information.
So basically astrologists observed galaxies inside of huge Nebulea . OK, cool ? How is this helping with ( insert world problems here ) :?:

Dr W

The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted.
kiwifarms.net
Except that has been proven incorrect - there are things that naturally go faster than light . This has been known since the late 1950's .
That's actually a common misunderstanding. Cherenkov radiation is something that moves faster than light in a medium such as water or air, but nothing can go faster than light in a vacuum.

The speed of light actually changes depending on what substance the light is going through.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
That's actually a common misunderstanding. Cherenkov radiation is something that moves faster than light in a medium such as water or air, but nothing can go faster than light in a vacuum.

The speed of light actually changes depending on what substance the light is going through.
Yep. It's basically the light equivalent of a sonic boom.

Reactions: Yotsubaaa

moocow

Moo.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is something I’ve never been clear on. I know wormholes as a concept are scientifically valid, but do they (and black holes) actually act as portals, or is that just sci-fi bullshit that got melded into the public consciousness?
Also, if FTL travel is impossible but wormholes permit near-instant travel across relativistic distances, isn't that still FTL travel?

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Spoiler alert: God created the universe and He holds it and you together
Ok but how? You act like if that's true that that should satisfy everything and end all questions. Even if you're joking, I've seen people that actually have that attitude.

Also, if FTL travel is impossible but wormholes permit near-instant travel across relativistic distances, isn't that still FTL travel?
It would still allow you to break causality because information is traveling faster than light in some way. No one wants a model that would admit acausal events because then humans lose all ability to process any information about the way the universe works.

Reactions: Yotsubaaa

No Exit

No dignity
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ok but how? You act like if that's true that that should satisfy everything and end all questions. Even if you're joking, I've seen people that actually have that attitude.
He has really big hands.
It would still allow you to break causality because information is traveling faster than light in some way.
Not really. The theory is that wormholes are just two pieces of space pushed together so it creates a portal. It's like holding a piece of paper in half, poking a hole in it, and using the hole to get to the other side.

Reactions: Hal

Niggernerd

Spooky Fumika ready to cast a spell on you
kiwifarms.net
Y'all niggas mind if I uhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Cut the web of the universe

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
He has really big hands.

Not really. The theory is that wormholes are just two pieces of space pushed together so it creates a portal. It's like holding a piece of paper in half, poking a hole in it, and using the hole to get to the other side.
Now I have to look up the thought experiments that illustrate how you could use that to break causality and I really don't want to because it'll make my head hurt.

Holy shit I'm not good at this stuff help

But yeah apparently you saying "but I'm not REALLY travelling faster than light" is only true from your POV. Time, space, and velocity aren't really as separate in the real world as concepts as we're used to thinking about them in every day life.

Last edited:

moocow

Moo.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How does that get around the "no FTL is possible" rule? You still end up thousands of light years from where you started and it only took a moment to get there. You got there faster than light could get there by taking the "long way."

Not trying to be difficult, btw. I'm genuinely perplexed.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino