Attack on Titan Griefing Thread - >tfw literally the entire world wants your race extinct because of some pigs

Who is the father of Historia's child?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
kiwifarms.net
This is a thread that's been long overdue.

The tl;dr summary for the series is that Attack on Titan is currently an ongoing story that started out as a unique spin on the zombie apocalypse genre before slowly devolving into what can only be described as some really weird, and contrived WWII-esque GoT fanfic that makes less and less sense with every new chapter. For a more in-depth explanation, I'd like to use @Secret Asshole's post from his thread on Subverting Expectations because he sums it up way better than I ever could.

I mean, for non-anime people, I really feel like I have to explain how really jarring this was. Attack on Titan was this post-apocalypse setting where the remnants of humanity were set up in these huge walls, surrounded by gigantic titans, monsters that would just eat people. Then you gradually learn there are sentient titans, humans that can control these monsters. So there's this big mystery, the primary genre is the horror of people fighting these things. The answers are held in the protagonist's basement. For which there's this huge charge, a major sacrifice, huge character deaths to get to.

Then it turns out that no, humanity is thriving and just fine, and the island is just a World War 2 concentration camp (figuratively) because the world hates the Jews people on this island and they're there for punishment. They just have a deus ex machina magic titan that uses the MIB mind eraser on the entire population of this island to forget the existence of the rest of the world to make an excuse as to 'why don't they know the world exists'. Then there's a whole bunch of bullshit nonsense with royal families and bloodlines and shit and eventually most of the 'fighting these horrifying titans' are replaced with some stupid fucking world political machinations and its just fucking nauseatingly bad, where Isayama did a major timeskip after this revelation and basically the protagonist's motivations have made absolutely no sense since then, because he clearly doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. Fuck even the major ANTAGONIST'S actions make no sense at all. Even WITH what he revealed.

It gets worse.

One of the more disturbing things to note in AoT is that the author, Isayama, seems to want us to think both sides are bad despite one the sides being literal Nazis. You see, it turns out the big bad responsible for everything in the series is actually an evil kingdom known as the Kingdom of Marley, (yes, that is really its name) and it's very clearly an analogue for Nazi Germany. Here are just some of the reasons:
  • 1930s attire
  • Secret Police
  • German names
  • Ghettos separating people based on race
  • Society is incredibly racist
  • Genociding people
  • The island the OG cast is on is basically just one big concentration camp
Despite all of these reasons, Isayama either doesn't realize this, is truly ignorant of the brutality and evilness of the Nazis, or he just doesn't care. It could be a combination of all three, really. The thing is though, is that even if all this was just coincidental it doesn't excuse the fact that he still tried to get us to feel bad for a kingdom that has been feeding hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children alive to huge monsters while the rest of them die of starvation.

His attempt at making us sympathize with the KoM basically amounts to having the protagonist, Eren, stoop to their level and purposefully kill a bunch of KoM civilians, and then trying to show that the Nazis KoM had hard lives too. It did not work because the KoM is still an analogue for Nazis. All it really did was piss off more people.

There's other shit like how the KoM entire existence basically breaks the entire world building of the series, the ever-increasing amount of plotholes, asspulls, contrivances, and the very stupid, and yet somehow real possibility that this entire story might be a time loop, but I think it's best to stop here. If you have anything to add, please do so.

UPDATE AS OF 11/2019:
  • Eren got decapitated via shotgun blast fired from a twelve year old Nazi Marleyan on a horse in the middle of a chaotic, titan-filled battlefield.
  • He, and Zeke then hung out in the void PATHs system for a while as Zeke tried to explain to Eren that an entire race should go extinct just because their father, Grisha, was a bad person. He tried showing Eren this via flashback to Eren's childhood, but unlike how he was with Zeke, Grisha was a great dad to Eren. Needless to say, Zeke's plan on convincing Eren that an entire race should be genocided just because they had a shitty dad fails.
  • What basically amounts to time-travel is introduced. It's not really time-travel so much as it is Time-Transcendence because you don't physically go forward, and backwards in time, but your...consciousness/essence/soul/whatever the fuck it is does, and it lets you fuck around with the timeline. Users of the PATHs system can "influence" events/people in the past/future to either change, prevent, or cause them to happen in the first place.
  • There is no multiverse in this series. There is seemingly no limit to how far a user can travel forward/back in time. How a user "influences" events/people is incredibly vague, and never really explained.
  • Eren influenced his dad to kill the royal family, and to prevent his mom from finding out he stabbed two people to death when he was eight, among other things.
  • Grisha somehow appears to Zeke, and tells him to stop Eren, and then hugs him even though the fucker has been dead for literally years.
  • God, or the closest thing this series has to a God, is a little girl named Ymir, and besides the God thing, has nothing to do with the other Ymir who loved Historia. This Ymir is the original titan after she transformed when she fell down a large hole under a tree onto a big-ass human spine after she was being chased the first King Fritz who wanted to kill her after she accidentally let some pigs out. Yes, this entire series started over pigs.
  • King Fritz then made her his wife/sex slave/personal titan-shifter weapon, and she, and him had three daughters, Rose, Maria, Shina. After she was killed by being stabbed in the neck with a limbo stick spear, Fritz made his daughters cannibalize their mother.
  • Ymir, who returned to being a child after she entered the PATHs system, has been stuck there for a long-ass time, and can basically control everything. This is how Zeke intends to make the Paradisers extinct by telling her to make them all sterile so they'll just die out naturally.
  • Eren hugs her, and basically tells her that she is not a slave/she can do whatever she wants/give me liberty, or give me death/ *America Intensifies*, and shockingly this works. Eren busts out of the PATHs system, turns into a giant fucking hellbeast, and his plan is finally, finally revealed.
  • He wants to end racism by killing all other races. More specifically, he wants to ensure the Paradisers are safe by wiping out all other life outside Paradis Island.
  • The Rumbling has started.
UPDATE AS OF 12/2019:
  • Annie's fucking out of the crystal.
  • Pixis, and Nile are dead.
  • Reiner literally takes a nap during the apocalypse Rumbling.
UPDATE AS OF 01/2020:
  • Levi, and Hanji somehow got out of the river, acquired a medical wagon, bandages, and horse. Levi is confirmed to be alive, which means the dwarf survived a blast that literally sent a man into another dimension, and literally ripped apart time and space.
  • Everyone is still yelling at Mikasa, because why not?
  • Floch is going around killing people.
  • Annie was apparently conscious the entire time she was crystallized, which just makes what Armin did to her, and what her supposed best friend, Hitch, said even worse. Hitch also flipped her like a pancake when she threatened to slit her throat. Also Annie's apparently adopted as proven by her taking a fucking blood test.
  • The Rumbling is still going on, and Eren's still hellbent on global genocide.
UPDATE AS OF 02/2020:
  • It's apparently been days, and Eren, and his army of colossal titans still haven't reached Marley even though it's been canonically proven to be less than a days's travel away by boat. You'd think they would be faster than the so-obese-it had-to-crawl Ross titan, but no.
  • We brushed Connie's House-titaned mom's teeth, because that's clearly important to do during the Apocalypse Rumbling. I didn't even think dental hygiene existed in AoT.
  • Levi not only survived, but he's awake, aware, moving, and has injuries so minimal that fucking Hanji, a woman with no known medical training, was able to treat him in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Oh, and he's going to kill Zeke.
UPDATE AS OF 03/2020:
  • The Survey Corps is just sitting around bitching, and fighting with each other like they have for like the past four chapters.
  • Hange makes the stunning, and brave statement that "Mass slaughter is wrong!" even though she, and the rest of the SC have participated in such a thing like a dozen times before.
  • Jean had a daydream where he, and Mikasa had a baby, and they lived in some fancy apartment in God knows where.
  • Jean beat the shit out of Reiner for killing Marco, and kicks Gabi after she got in the way.
  • Eren still hasn't gotten to the KoM yet. I like to think that he got lost, and is just fumbling around in the ocean as a giant hellbeast with all the other Rumbling titans wondering what the fuck he's doing.
  • Oh, and Floch is holding Kiyomi hostage.
UPDATE AS OF 04/2020:
  • Apparently, Eren has made it to KoM even though everything else implied that he hadn't, and was slow as balls. Also, this means that SC have just been wasting precious time by dicking around and brushing Connie's House-titan mom's teeth.
  • Remember how the SC said they were gonna try to talk things out with the Yeagerists? Well, neither do they as they just tried to sneak in and immediately start killing people as soon as they got caught.
  • Daz and Samuel (Daz was the guy with a family who Pixis inspired to stay behind and fight the titans for, and Samuel was a background character who looked like Marco) got their brains blown out by Connie of all people, meaning this is literally the first (second?) time he has actually ever done something by himself in this entire series.
  • Funnily enough, he was the one freaking out about killing people in this very same chapter.
  • Armin's gets shot in the mouth and loses a lot of teeth, but he's a titan-shifter so that doesn't matter.
  • Annie, and Reiner use their titan forms to fight the Yeagerists.

Miscellaneous:
  • Icecream, pizza, baseball, clowns, cars, planes, blimps, blood tests, and all manner of 1940s-esque technology exists in this world.
  • Other races exist, along with other countries.
  • Prior to their deaths, Pixis, Nile, and other background characters were titanized by the Marleyans.
  • Jean has apparently always thought Eren was super cool, because that certainly doesn't contradict anything about his character.
  • Mikasa tried to tell Eren that she loved him, but failed spectacularly, and hilariously by family-zoning herself.
  • Eren told Mikasa that's he's always hated her even though that's clearly not true, and a really stupid thing to say.
  • Historia is still pregnant, and we still don't know who the father is.
  • Armin was heavily implied to have spanked it to Annie's unconscious, (Not unconscious as confirmed by chapter 125. She was conscious for the entire five fucking years she was in there) crystallized body, and her best friend, Hitch, thought this was a good thing, and definitely wasn't utterly disgusting, or rape-y at all.

Last edited:

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Excuse me what?
The author ripped off the gay parts of the dark tower and that's the big reveal.
Basically what it's leading up to is that they're going to use the Memory Erasure technology and send everyone back in time so they can be their own grandfather and supposedly stop the war from ever happening. Because if they forget how to make guns and weapons for killing, everything will be peaceful

Except they erased their memories so they forgot what they are doing there in the first place including not causing a war and will eventually rediscover everything again.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
The author ripped off the gay parts of the dark tower and that's the big reveal.
Basically what it's leading up to is that they're going to use the Memory Erasure technology and send everyone back in time so they can be their own grandfather and supposedly stop the war from ever happening. Because if they forget how to make guns and weapons for killing, everything will be peaceful

Except they erased their memories so they forgot what they are doing there in the first place including not causing a war and will eventually rediscover everything again.
And suppose they meet up with their counterparts? What then?

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
No you see they're literally their own grandparents or great grandparents. The plan is that they go back entire generations before the war began.

You see it's like going back in time to stop hitler so you transport everyone not to nazi germany but to when germany was still ruled by the germanic tribes. Yeah you're so far back that in theory you could cause Nazis germany to not happen, but along the way you forgot what a nazi was and what you're even doing there in the first place,

that's what they're leading up to.

Basically it's that futurama episode.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I said Attack on Titan ripped off Game of Thrones, I wasn't exaggerating.

Ok, stick with me. This is going to get fucking re.tarded, really quick.

In Game of Thrones, one of the characters, Bran, has the ability to move backwards and forwards in time using sight. In Attack on Titan, there is a magical system PATHS, that allows you to move forward in time and space. The power of the Titans was stolen from the Devil (yes) by a being called Ymir, who may or may not have been human. In essence, she came into contact with the 'source of all biological matter'. So in Attack on Titan, all biological matter is linked. There's a magic system PATHS (see where I'm going here?).

The idea is that the protagonist, is going to use the power of the First Titan, who has all these incredible abilities, to move literally EVERYONE through time. There, they'll go back and stop Ymir from stealing the powers of the Titans, creating all this racism, pain and death.

The problem is that when you use PATHS and you displace yourself into your ancestors, constantly. The problem is, you forget. So you basically travel back in time, to try to prevent Ymir from stealing the power of the Titans and introducing this to the world. The problem is you forget. History progresses onward, until you have the protagonist who has this idea to go back into the past to stop Ymir from getting the Titans, except everyone forgets and....

You see where this is going? So you get the time loop paradox. There's even hints where the protagonist as a kid is daydreaming of events to come and he wakes up crying, but forgets what he's dreaming about. I mean fuck, the first chapter is called: "To you, 2000 years later". So uh, yeah. There are also chapters where it is implied that time travel exists and time loops are a very real possibility, except you forget this information. Leading to inevitable time loops.

Its really fucking stupid and convoluted in a plot that's already stupid and fucking convoluted. If it ends this way, it will please literally no one except fucking idiots who somehow think this is genius,

Last edited:

Bunny Tracks

kiwifarms.net
When I said Attack on Titan ripped off Game of Thrones, I wasn't exaggerating.

Ok, stick with me. This is going to get fucking re.tarded, really quick.

In Game of Thrones, one of the characters, Bran, has the ability to move backwards and forwards in time using sight. In Attack on Titan, there is a magical system PATHS, that allows you to move forward in time and space. The power of the Titans was stolen from the Devil (yes) by a being called Ymir, who may or may not have been human. In essence, she came into contact with the 'source of all biological matter'. So in Attack on Titan, all biological matter is linked. There's a magic system PATHS (see where I'm going here?).

The idea is that the protagonist, is going to use the power of the First Titan, who has all these incredible abilities, to move literally EVERYONE through time. There, they'll go back and stop Ymir from stealing the powers of the Titans, creating all this racism, pain and death.

The problem is that when you use PATHS and you displace yourself into your ancestors, constantly. The problem is, you forget. So you basically travel back in time, to try to prevent Ymir from stealing the power of the Titans and introducing this to the world. The problem is you forget. History progresses onward, until you have the protagonist who has this idea to go back into the past to stop Ymir from getting the Titans, except everyone forgets and....

You see where this is going? So you get the time loop paradox. There's even hints where the protagonist as a kid is daydreaming of events to come and he wakes up crying, but forgets what he's dreaming about. I mean fuck, the first chapter is called: "To you, 2000 years later". So uh, yeah.

Its really fucking stupid and convoluted in a plot that's already stupid and fucking convoluted. If it ends this way, it will please literally no one except fucking idiots who somehow think this is genius.
Wait, that's what PATHS is? I thought it was just the name of the Titan controlling ability! Holy shit, it's even dumber than I thought! What the actual fuck?

I mean, how the fuck did all of this happen? What went wrong? What do you guys think is the reason Isayama did all this? Personally, I'm sticking with my theory that he wanted to create a new story, but couldn't since he was tied up with AoT, and so he just decided to put the two together, consequences be damned.

kadoink

kiwifarms.net
Jesus Christ, has the series gotten this awful? Remember when it was just about stopping the titans, rebuilding a safe wall for the kingdom and characters trying to live their lives?

Why do these series always degrade into constant war or having to save the world? It makes me appreciate Hellsing a lot more when you realize that the undead Nazi army isn't trying to take over the world, they're just continuing the war so that they can all die in battle.

Even Berserk which has lots of wars, big and small gives its antagonists all kinds of ambiguity so that they're rarely traditional villains and arent trying to take over the world (Even though that kind of seems like what Femto is up too, but there seems to be something more to his actions).

This is what happens when you have a small story try to become a large story. Happened with Death Note, Happened with Bleach, happened with Naruto, and I wont mention One Piece because its too weird to take seriously.

Secret Asshole

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wait, that's what PATHS is? I thought it was just the name of the Titan controlling ability! Holy shit, it's even dumber than I thought! What the actual fuck?

I mean, how the fuck did all of this happen? What went wrong? What do you guys think is the reason Isayama did all this? Personally, I'm sticking with my theory that he wanted to create a new story, but couldn't since he was tied up with AoT, and so he just decided to put the two together, consequences be damned.
Wait, you thought...oh my

Uh, yeah. So. um.

PATHS is the channel which transcends time and space. So if someone just murks Zeke or Eren out of nowhere and nobody eats them, their Titan travels upon PATHS and some random Elidan inherits that power. It also allows you to form Titan bodies out of nothing. All of the Ackermans are linked by a PATH so that their insane combat abilities are inherited from all past Ackermans once awakens. Its why Mikasa and Levi are super OP.

So it allows you to inherit Titan power, memory, abilities, and all that. Reminder, since it transcends time as well as space, it moves in both directions, future and the past. It transmits memories and consciousness. Except for memories its basically shit, since you basically forget about them and confuse them and are basically lost. Its why the Female Titan's scream works from anywhere and calls Titans from miles away. It travels along a PATH, so distance doesn't matter. The same with Zeke's ability to transform people into Titans. If they drink his spinal fluid, he can Titanize them from anywhere, because it travels along a PATH.

So you basically can become a god-king of combat through manipulation of the PATHS.

'The Coordinate' is when different PATHS cross. For example, Eren is a Coordinate, because he is an Eldian (All Eldians are presumably linked by PATHS) and possesses the Founding Titan. Meaning that Eren can basically, eventually, move every Elidian's consciousness through the past as well as the future if he had enough control over the ability. There's this idea if Eren inherits all of the Titan abilities, he might be able to literally move Humanity along a PATH because he becomes the ultimate Coordinate, so to speak. Which might lead us to a Time Loop ending, or even fucking worse, an 'End of Evangelion' situation.

And this isn't even going into the dimension where all PATHS cross, called in the Manga, the 'Unknown Land'. In the Manga, Zeke actually dies (this was like a month or two or so ago), but is resurrected in this land, which links all PATHS together. And is assumed to be either inhabited by Ymir or the Devil.

So uh, yeah. Its way more than just controlling one of the nine titans.

As to how? He liked Bran's ability, thought it was cool and was like, "How do I make this work?" And fucked it up completely. Then he read the ending to 'The Dark Tower', forgot that the Time Loop is essentially unique to that narrative and a consequence of Roland's own obsession and decided he wanted that too. Isayama had one great, original idea. Then he saw all these other ideas he liked.

Then he shoved them all up his ass, stripped naked, rode around on a pony, playing a kazoo, making morons think this was good writing. Or that he writes extremely purposefully and everything has me-ahahahahahahahahahah

ahahahaha

Some people fucking think that. I laughed.

Jesus Christ, has the series gotten this awful? Remember when it was just about stopping the titans, rebuilding a safe wall for the kingdom and characters trying to live their lives?

Why do these series always degrade into constant war or having to save the world? It makes me appreciate Hellsing a lot more when you realize that the undead Nazi army isn't trying to take over the world, they're just continuing the war so that they can all die in battle.

Even Berserk which has lots of wars, big and small gives its antagonists all kinds of ambiguity so that they're rarely traditional villains and arent trying to take over the world (Even though that kind of seems like what Femto is up too, but there seems to be something more to his actions).

This is what happens when you have a small story try to become a large story. Happened with Death Note, Happened with Bleach, happened with Naruto, and I wont mention One Piece because its too weird to take seriously.
I remember, Unfortunately. It was the best thing going on about it and it gave it up for...whatever the fuck this is. Because these authors are obsessed with overcoming their audience or making a story nobody has told before. Which almost always ends terribly.

Oh god yes. And we're not even talking about Isayma not understanding anything about World War II, trying to push a child soldier that killed an extremely popular character on his readers for chapters at a time, forcing her to become a center piece, and when his readers refused to like her, he made the character's family FORGIVE HER AND TAKE HER IN, even though she thought these people were devils who deserved to be eaten and starved to death. Which still didn't make his readers accept her.

Hellsing was great. The Nazis had no real goal, basically everyone's motivation in that series was 'I WANT TO BE MORE POWERFUL THAN ALUCARD AND KILL HIM'. That's it. And then the Nazis think they did, they're all dead, and Alucard comes back anyway so everyone loses except Alucard and Seras (with her rack).

The problem with 'Death Note' is that L was fucking amazing and killing him in the middle was a HUGE mistake. The dynamic between him and Light and their competiton is what made that book and killed it off.

Honestly, if you want to get involved in the anime, now is probably a good time, because basically after this season after they go to the ocean, you can basically turn it off and assume nothing else ever happens. Also next week the audience gets reduced to rubble because everyone finds out what's in the basement. So the timing of this thread is perfect.

Attack on Titan is going to fucking crater. There's no goddamn way this ends well or with any sort of sense or gratification. And it is going to be funny as fuck.

Last edited:

kadoink

kiwifarms.net
Some Mangaka get forced into keeping their series going by the publishers because of their popularity. I remember when Rumiko Takahashi did Inu-Yasha and the magic jewel finally gets rebuild to its original form it ends up shattering again and prolonging the story like another 15 volumes or something. That was a publishers encouragement to keep the story going due to its popularity.

Now keep in mind, this is Rumiko Takahashi one of the most famous mangaka in history, and who was the richest woman in Japan for several years getting pressured into doing this. If publishers can get her to do something like this, they can get anyone to.

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not %100 up to date, but I personally had no problem with the initial AOT twist, the majority of the pieces were there to be connected in some way (and they all fit IMO), it's just a case where people didn't dare to question the premise. The only big piece that I would argue should have been included is some mention of Marley..etc, maybe introduce them as "past civilizations" or whatever, keep it cryptic as fuck. I think the fact that this didn't happen made it very jarring.

What was kinda jarring is the time skip and the initial lull it introduced, it grew on me as it went, but it felt weird as fuck when I 1st read it, that's why I'm pretty much telling all my anime-only friends to not expect too much from season 4, and to expect a completely different show, because from what I've seen, a sizeable portion of ppl kinda bailed on the series afterwards.

I wont mention One Piece because its too weird to take seriously.
I'm admittedly a bit of an OP stan (well not a bit, A LOT), but I have to say that One Piece is sorta different here, because from day 1, Oda was extremely, extremely meticulous with his world building (which is part of the reason the series is unusually long, he dots even the most useless and unimportant i's, and continually finds ways to add interconnective tissue between arcs and characters). Even today, we are getting huge-ass reveals, top-notch worldbuilding (the latest finished arc had pivotal, yet very logical roles for characters that were introduced over a decade ago, and introduced a new and intriguing character) and interesting storytelling.

Where One Piece struggles IMO, is with the logic behind how fights work, and power balancing. Because you can kinda tell that certain powers in the series weren't meant to be added from the outset, and were only added to balance the series after Oda realized that certain characters became way, way too overpowered.

One Piece may yet end badly, but there's a reason why it's still the #1 best selling manga even +20 years later.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Wait, you thought...oh my

Uh, yeah. So. um.

PATHS is the channel which transcends time and space. So if someone just murks Zeke or Eren out of nowhere and nobody eats them, their Titan travels upon PATHS and some random Elidan inherits that power. It also allows you to form Titan bodies out of nothing. All of the Ackermans are linked by a PATH so that their insane combat abilities are inherited from all past Ackermans once awakens. Its why Mikasa and Levi are super OP.

So it allows you to inherit Titan power, memory, abilities, and all that. Reminder, since it transcends time as well as space, it moves in both directions, future and the past. It transmits memories and consciousness. Except for memories its basically shit, since you basically forget about them and confuse them and are basically lost. Its why the Female Titan's scream works from anywhere and calls Titans from miles away. It travels along a PATH, so distance doesn't matter. The same with Zeke's ability to transform people into Titans. If they drink his spinal fluid, he can Titanize them from anywhere, because it travels along a PATH.

So you basically can become a god-king of combat through manipulation of the PATHS.

'The Coordinate' is when different PATHS cross. For example, Eren is a Coordinate, because he is an Eldian (All Eldians are presumably linked by PATHS) and possesses the Founding Titan. Meaning that Eren can basically, eventually, move every Elidian's consciousness through the past as well as the future if he had enough control over the ability. There's this idea if Eren inherits all of the Titan abilities, he might be able to literally move Humanity along a PATH because he becomes the ultimate Coordinate, so to speak. Which might lead us to a Time Loop ending, or even fucking worse, an 'End of Evangelion' situation.

And this isn't even going into the dimension where all PATHS cross, called in the Manga, the 'Unknown Land'. In the Manga, Zeke actually dies (this was like a month or two or so ago), but is resurrected in this land, which links all PATHS together. And is assumed to be either inhabited by Ymir or the Devil.

As to how? He liked Bran's ability, thought it was cool and was like, "How do I make this work?" And fucked it up completely. Then he read the ending to 'The Dark Tower', forgot that the Time Loop is essentially unique to that narrative and a consequence of Roland's own obsession and decided he wanted that too. Isayama had one great, original idea. Then he saw all these other ideas he liked.

Then he shoved them all up his ass, stripped naked, rode around on a pony, playing a kazoo, making morons think this was good writing. Or that he writes extremely purposefully and everything has me-ahahahahahahahahahah

ahahahaha

Some people fucking think that. I laughed.

I remember, Unfortunately. It was the best thing going on about it and it gave it up for...whatever the fuck this is. Because these authors are obsessed with overcoming their audience or making a story nobody has told before. Which almost always ends terribly.

Oh god yes. And we're not even talking about Isayma not understanding anything about World War II, trying to push a child soldier that killed an extremely popular character on his readers for chapters at a time, forcing her to become a center piece, and when his readers refused to like her, he made the character's family FORGIVE HER AND TAKE HER IN, even though she thought these people were devils who deserved to be eaten and starved to death. Which still didn't make his readers accept her.

Hellsing was great. The Nazis had no real goal, basically everyone's motivation in that series was 'I WANT TO BE MORE POWERFUL THAN ALUCARD AND KILL HIM'. That's it. And then the Nazis think they did, they're all dead, and Alucard comes back anyway so everyone loses except Alucard and Seras (with her rack).

The problem with 'Death Note' is that L was fucking amazing and killing him in the middle was a HUGE mistake. The dynamic between him and Light and their competiton is what made that book and killed it off.

Honestly, if you want to get involved in the anime, now is probably a good time, because basically after this season after they go to the ocean, you can basically turn it off and assume nothing else ever happens. Also next week the audience gets reduced to rubble because everyone finds out what's in the basement. So the timing of this thread is perfect.

Attack on Titan is going to fucking crater. There's no goddamn way this ends well or with any sort of sense or gratification. And it is going to be funny as fuck.
Even better is that once this series ends, the animation studio up to this point is not even going to come back. So when/if they attempt any later seasons (which they probably will because "money dammit!"), it's going to look shit just like how the story becomes shit.

Kind of fitting, in all honesty.

kadoink

kiwifarms.net
Being the best selling anything doesn't always mean its good, not to poop too much on your statement ;P

I read about...100 chapters of One Piece online about 3 years ago and thought it was fun and interesting to see something so weird and light succeed the way it did in manga. I stopped reading it due to some real life shit and about 7 months later remembered it and wanted to read it again. I tried to remember where I left off and kind of froze in surprise. I had read 100 chapters of this manga and could barely remember 5 of them.

Now I cant remember all of what I've read from Berserk but I can remember a hell of a lot of it. Same with Bleach, same with FMA and Death Note. One Piece wasn't a bad manga or even a boring one so why couldn't I remember almost any of it? Its the writing. The writing is why I couldn't remember it.

I realized that the way its written is its biggest problem. So much happens so often in every chapter that I seemed to forget just about everything after I stopped reading it. Even a lot of the chapters just feel the same as previous chapters. Thats actually not good writing or storytelling and it kind of floored me when I realized it.

I'm still surprised to this day about this realization with One Piece because 10 years ago I would have loved the series.

Bunny Tracks

kiwifarms.net
PATHS is the channel which transcends time and space. So if someone just murks Zeke or Eren out of nowhere and nobody eats them, their Titan travels upon PATHS and some random Elidan inherits that power. It also allows you to form Titan bodies out of nothing. All of the Ackermans are linked by a PATH so that their insane combat abilities are inherited from all past Ackermans once awakens. So it allows you to inherit Titan power, memory, abilities, and all that. Reminder, since it transcends time as well as space, it moves in both directions, future and the past. It transmits memories and consciousness. Except for memories its basically shit, since you basically forget about them and confuse them and are basically lost. Its why the Female Titan's scream works from anywhere and calls Titans from miles away. It travels along a PATH, so distance doesn't matter. The same with Zeke's ability to transform people into Titans. If they drink his spinal fluid, he can Titanize them from anywhere, because it travels along a PATH.

'The Coordinate' is when different PATHS cross. For example, Eren is a Coordinate, because he is an Eldian and possesses the Founding Titan. Meaning that Eren can basically, eventually, move every Elidian's consciousness through the past as well as the future if he had enough control over the ability. There's this idea if Eren inherits all of the Titan abilities, he might be able to literally move Humanity along a PATH because he becomes the ultimate Coordinate, so to speak. Which might lead us to a Time Loop ending, or even fucking worse, an 'End of Evangelion' situation.

I just...I...it's so much worse than I thought.

All of the Ackermans are linked by a PATH so that their insane combat abilities are inherited from all past Ackermans once awakens.
Not gonna lie, I thought the Ackermans were strong simply because they were all at least partially Asian. Makes as much sense as anything else in this series. Fuck it, it makes more sense.

Its why the Female Titan's scream works from anywhere and calls Titans from miles away.
That's what I meant by Titan controlling power. That's literally all I thought PATHS did. Nothing more, nothing less.

Secret Asshole

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not %100 up to date, but I personally had no problem with the initial AOT twist, the majority of the pieces were there to be connected in some way (and they all fit IMO), it's just a case where people didn't dare to question the premise. The only big piece that I would argue should have been included is some mention of Marley..etc, maybe introduce them as "past civilizations" or whatever, keep it cryptic as fuck. I think the fact that this didn't happen made it very jarring.

What was kinda jarring is the time skip and the initial lull it introduced, it grew on me as it went, but it felt weird as fuck when I 1st read it, that's why I'm pretty much telling all my anime-only friends to not expect too much from season 4, and to expect a completely different show, because from what I've seen, a sizeable portion of ppl kinda bailed on the series afterwards.
The problem is, we knew that there was something outside of the walls that might have been people. It isn't much that its a twist, it is a complete and utter genre change. Which I've rarely seen go well. And Attack on Titan is one of the most jarring genre-shifts out there. It doesn't go from horror to action or adventure. It goes from horror, to Game of Thrones, World War II, boring political thriller. That's not a genre shift, that's like, a genre leap and then sprint. Its barely in the same REALM as it was. It should have all been post-apocalyptic, and someone mentioned in my Subverting Expectations thread, that there should have been some menacing force like The White Walkers or The Others, something that was corralling humanity, manipulating the Titan Shifters.. Like, have humanity and the Titan shifters outside the wall be just as terrified of these unknown things that are manipulating them to slowly destroy humanity itself. Have the next arc be to try to mend ties with the outside world and fight this mysterious enemy of humanity, the force behind the titans and the titan shifters. The problem is, once everything is revealed, the antagonists go from these mysterious, titan shifters and man-eating creatures to....other people. That's a huge downgrade. You don't trade down, you trade up. And to me, that's why Attack on Titan fails. It trades an incredibly interesting idea for an incredibly boring, hashed out one. "HUMANITY IS THE REAL ENEMY GUYZ" THANK YOU FOR THAT WONDERFUL REALIZATION. IT HAS BEEN A THEME SINCE, OH, THE BEGINNING OF FUCKING TIME. Jesus christ. That shit is seriously no longer a trope and just moved into full cliche mode because it is fucking up more stories than its helping at this point. It doesn't help that the people who use this device do terrible shit like this.

The time-skip is purely because Isayama: 1) Needed to recover after the genre-shift 2) Only had a very small awareness of the mystery of the titans 3) Needed to introduce a time pressure on the protagonist. The time-skip was completely unnecessary narrative wise and story wise and was only done for practical purposes and allow Isayama breathing room. To me, the manga has never recovered from the genre leap and sprint to the time-skip. It has narritvely, thematically and tonally changed. Characters don't make sense. Eren hasn't made any fucking sense in years. Zeke has never made any fucking sense because Isayama has no clue what to do with him.

I think the Manga is going to end before Season 4 comes out, because we're entering really the last year or two of it. And they'll really know how they feel since next week is the huge genre...whatever the fuck he did. So there's already going to be a huge shift in viewers and the anime's popularity. I don't know, maybe the immense craving for more GoT garbage will save it from the reader drop-off the Manga had.

My only hope for the anime is that it can tie this season up in a nice little bow so you've got a stopping point if you never ever want to see the trashfire that comes after it.

Even better is that once this series ends, the animation studio up to this point is not even going to come back. So when/if they attempt any later seasons (which they probably will because "money dammit!"), it's going to look shit just like how the story becomes shit.

Kind of fitting, in all honesty.
I mean, the writing is on the wall. The manga itself, if I recall correctly, lost at least 50% of its readership once the genreshift and basement was revealed. The anime's popularity is really what is driving AoT's popularity. I mean, the writing is on the wall. The Basement is going to tank viewers, just like it did readers. There's absolutely 0 way around this.

I just...I...it's so much worse than I thought.

Not gonna lie, I thought the Ackermans were strong simply because they were all at least partially Asian. Makes as much sense as anything else in this series. Fuck it, it makes more sense.

That's what I meant by Titan controlling power. That's literally all I thought PATHS did. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yeah, uh. It really is.

The Ackermans were linked by a PATH through the founding Titan. I think all the Asians on the Island were linked through a PATH, since they were all Eldian, giving all the Azns awesome fighting powers, since they were aware of the PATHS. OH WAIT, I REMEMBER. The Azns were immune to the founding Titan's mind removal powers because of their genes or the PATH or something. I forget. And when they realized they were being held in a concentration camp, tried to subvert the founding titan. But the Founding Titan then genocided the disloyal Asians, eliminating them all except the Ackermans, who remained loyal and passed down their awesome combat abilities, serving as bodyguards for the founding Titan. So yes, even within the concentration camp, there's double genocide. The Ackermans are the only ones immune to the memory-removal power of the founding Titan. And even in the concentration camp, the Azns are the ones that are super-OP. fucking lol. This whole manga is fucked when it comes to race.

And somehow we're suppose to sympathize with the people responsible for all this. Fucking hilarious.

Lol, being Asian means you can time travel? Then explain Doc Brown to me, Isamiya!
Doc Brown was American. The Americans are all linked by PATHS and we decided to leave for a better Anime.

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't reply to the whole thing because on mobile (and I'm trying to discuss without getting too spoiled). But I'll make a good try of it:

The problem is, we knew that there was something outside of the walls that might have been people. It isn't much that its a twist, it is a complete and utter genre change. Which I've rarely seen go well. And Attack on Titan is one of the most jarring genre-shifts out there. It doesn't go from horror to action or adventure. It goes from horror, to Game of Thrones, World War II, boring political thriller. That's not a genre shift, that's like, a genre leap and then sprint. Its barely in the same REALM as it was. It should have all been post-apocalyptic, and someone mentioned in my Subverting Expectations thread, that there should have been some menacing force like The White Walkers or The Others, something that was corralling humanity, manipulating the Titan Shifters.. Like, have humanity and the Titan shifters outside the wall be just as terrified of these unknown things that are manipulating them to slowly destroy humanity itself. Have the next arc be to try to mend ties with the outside world and fight this mysterious enemy of humanity, the force behind the titans and the titan shifters. The problem is, once everything is revealed, the antagonists go from these mysterious, titan shifters and man-eating creatures to....other people. That's a huge downgrade. You don't trade down, you trade up. And to me, that's why Attack on Titan fails. It trades an incredibly interesting idea for an incredibly boring, hashed out one. "HUMANITY IS THE REAL ENEMY GUYZ" THANK YOU FOR THAT WONDERFUL REALIZATION. IT HAS BEEN A THEME SINCE, OH, THE BEGINNING OF FUCKING TIME. Jesus christ. That shit is seriously no longer a trope and just moved into full cliche mode because it is fucking up more stories than its helping at this point. It doesn't help that the people who use this device do terrible shit like this.
I think a more appropriate genre shift would have been to a more war-themed one. The political machinations just don't interest me at all (because they're all dumped on the reader at once), and I was honestly befuddled by a lot of things as soon as the adrenaline high faded after the Marley raid.

I think the shift to humans as villains wasn't bad in itself, there's a lot of good post-apocalyptic stuff where humans make for great enemies (you can do a lot more with them than with faceless monsters), Jericho was an example of this imo. But I think my main problem is that I don't have a lot of confidence in Isayama's ability to wrap it up properly, which is partially why I don't feel very compelled to keep going until it all ends.

I think the Manga is going to end before Season 4 comes out, because we're entering really the last year or two of it. And they'll really know how they feel since next week is the huge genre...whatever the fuck he did. So there's already going to be a huge shift in viewers and the anime's popularity. I don't know, maybe the immense craving for more GoT garbage will save it from the reader drop-off the Manga had.

My only hope for the anime is that it can tie this season up in a nice little bow so you've got a stopping point if you never ever want to see the trashfire that comes after it.
I believe the manga was already confirmed to be heading towards it's final arc. This won't last long imo.

My brother actually got into the series after the GoT show ended, he's not yet at the timeskip point, but I feel like his reaction to it all will be interesting to see lol.

Reactions: Feline Darkmage
Tags
None