Attack on Titan Griefing Thread - >TFW DESTROYING YOUR OWN SERIES ONCE JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH AND YOU MAKE A PSA COMIC TELLING PEOPLE WHO WERE INVESTED IN IT TO FUCK OFF (#NO REFUNDS)

• Conducting some maintenance.

How will Eren be stopped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Estate

Khazar milkers inspector
kiwifarms.net
He wrote popular stuff for his time. Today the most popular thing to write is capeshit.

If you look at capeshit, it can be many different genres and styles. Shakespeare wrote in many different styles for many different genres. Cape stuff gives him the freedom to write whatever he wants - because it is not defined by genre or style - using the characters as mouth pieces aimed at a mass audience. Which is what he did in his time.
I have to press X on that.
By what metric do you state that capeshit is the most popular?
There are many mediums and genres that give you such opportunities for metaphor, allegory or downright direct message.
I can understand how you came to such a conclusion, seeing as there's a recent trend and rise in popularity of capeshit, especially in movies and tv shows in the anglosphere and since Shakespeare is himself an anglo writer, one can draw some parallels, but I still believe it's quite a stretch.
One can even argue that capeshit is a childish medium for kids and soyboys while Shakespeare plays didn't exactly target that demographic. Also, by the same argument of popularity of the time, you can even say that the greek philosophers would write capeshit today.

6MillionCoofs

kiwifarms.net
I have to press X on that.
By what metric do you state that capeshit is the most popular?
The amount of people that watch it. Resulting in the stupid sums of money they make.
There are many mediums and genres that give you such opportunities for metaphor, allegory or downright direct message.
Sure. I said he was going to do cape stuff because those are films. Films are the logical extension of plays. Superhero movies are basically a genre into themselves at this point. A superhero movie currently can be varied genres of film while being popular. If some other film type was trending he'd be doing that.
One can even argue that capeshit is a childish medium for kids and soyboys while Shakespeare plays didn't exactly target that demographic.
Superhero movies are geared towards teenagers and young adults that children can watch. So was Shakespeare.
Also, by the same argument of popularity of the time, you can even say that the greek philosophers would write capeshit today.
Oh, the Greek philosophers would be pulling an even more successful Jordon Peterson.

Last edited:

Hackallier

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Really popular capeshit that's far better than anything today but yes. If the bard were alive now he would be writing actual capeshit make no mistake. His work was held so highly because it was stupidly popular and entertaining.
This has nothing to do with the thread, but I find this take absolutely amusing. And it might actually be true.

6MillionCoofs

kiwifarms.net
This has nothing to do with the thread, but I find this take absolutely amusing. And it might actually be true.
I truly believe it is.

All this because I wanted to laugh at an anituber holding AoT so highly.

I can't stop laughing at the last page of the manga. It's beyond funny.

I want to own all the manga now just so I have the context for how stupid that final page really is.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You're forgetting that Shakespeare's works were often aimed at the elite and people who could pay. They were also sometimes designed to put him at odds with his patrons, which got him into trouble. The masses also enjoying it was Shakespeare's skill in combining high concepts distilled down into simple notions the masses could understand. The man said 'Brevity is the soul of wit'. His ideas were complex but made simple enough so the everyday man who could buy a ticket to a play could understand it. I've talked about the difference between knowing literary techniques enriches the enjoyment of a work and how not knowing these techniques will naturally make a work better for the audience, but if you do know them, you get maximum enjoyment. Shakespeare pretty much embodies this.

His writing is on two levels: the complex, for those in the know, and for the everyday person off the street. A very difficult balance to achieve. Not to mention cementing things like act structure, characterization, rising and falling action and things we take for granted today.

So uh, no, I don't think he'd be writing capeshit. To become basically the outline for pretty much all classical works for the next 500 years you kind of need to go a bit above and beyond that.

Not to mention the literary techniques he used like iambic pentameter and combining poetry, history, literature and playwriting into one singular distilled work. Capeshit follows a formula, Shakespeare pretty much invented it.

So no, I don't think he'd be writing for the masses of the modern age. He'd be more like a revolutionary director who established a film-making presence that is going to last for the next 500 years. Not some generic capeshit writer.

So yeah, the bard wouldn't be writing capeshit, he'd be establishing the pattern of film-making for basically the entire world. Or they'd just call him a white supremacist and he'd be ostracized. One or the other.
I like how this thread just doesn't give a shit about AoT anymore
I mean, there's everything that's been said and we can keep posting cringe and memes of people who like it. It remains to be seen if the anime will follow in the footsteps, but it more than likely will.

I don't see them changing it however, because its been pretty faithful so far. I don't know how that is going to work though, hysterically enough. Because holy shit in the manga its jarring.

The final fight is also pretty unimpressive and basically one sided with the cringe avengers winning and only losing Hange way way way back at the beginning. I mean, they all survive with the exception of Hange.

I mean, on a visual level its kind of hysterical to get to see Eren sitting in water, the shit kicked out of him by Armin, admitting he did it for the pussy and killed his mom.

Like many people have said, I think its pretty obvious that this ending was changed last minute due to editorial interference. They could gauge the reception of the incel virgin ending, but at this point, there's no indication that they're going to change anything. Its more work for MAPPA and it is very very very very unlikely they're going to change the 'genius' ending because that's how the world views Isayama now. I think its a hard cope that people think the anime will be any different. Unless there is some weirdo sort of compromise where the editors got one ending in the manga and Isayama got his ending in the anime or some shit like that.

But honestly, I don't think so. Isayama does not give enough of a shit and based the entirety of Eren's motivation on a three page flashback like 30 chapters or so ago. So MAPPA isn't going to spend money on a contract job to re-write the ending and Isayama does not care enough to do so.

We're basically waiting for anime people to catch up and laugh at them as they run in circles defending Eren's incels RISE UP.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So yeah, the bard wouldn't be writing capeshit, he'd be establishing the pattern of film-making for basically the entire world.
More likely he'd be doing both. He'd write some movie that's nominally about Batman, but throws out 90% of the canon and turns the caped heroes into complex characters that would live on for centuries. And maybe remake the English language while he was at it.
The old comic books would become obscurities just like "Romeus and Juliet", "Amleth", "The Spanish Tragedy", and "The Jew of Malta".

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
You're forgetting that Shakespeare's works were often aimed at the elite and people who could pay. They were also sometimes designed to put him at odds with his patrons, which got him into trouble. The masses also enjoying it was Shakespeare's skill in combining high concepts distilled down into simple notions the masses could understand. The man said 'Brevity is the soul of wit'. His ideas were complex but made simple enough so the everyday man who could buy a ticket to a play could understand it. I've talked about the difference between knowing literary techniques enriches the enjoyment of a work and how not knowing these techniques will naturally make a work better for the audience, but if you do know them, you get maximum enjoyment. Shakespeare pretty much embodies this.

His writing is on two levels: the complex, for those in the know, and for the everyday person off the street. A very difficult balance to achieve. Not to mention cementing things like act structure, characterization, rising and falling action and things we take for granted today.

So uh, no, I don't think he'd be writing capeshit. To become basically the outline for pretty much all classical works for the next 500 years you kind of need to go a bit above and beyond that.

Not to mention the literary techniques he used like iambic pentameter and combining poetry, history, literature and playwriting into one singular distilled work. Capeshit follows a formula, Shakespeare pretty much invented it.

So no, I don't think he'd be writing for the masses of the modern age. He'd be more like a revolutionary director who established a film-making presence that is going to last for the next 500 years. Not some generic capeshit writer.

So yeah, the bard wouldn't be writing capeshit, he'd be establishing the pattern of film-making for basically the entire world. Or they'd just call him a white supremacist and he'd be ostracized. One or the other.

I mean, there's everything that's been said and we can keep posting cringe and memes of people who like it. It remains to be seen if the anime will follow in the footsteps, but it more than likely will.

I don't see them changing it however, because its been pretty faithful so far. I don't know how that is going to work though, hysterically enough. Because holy shit in the manga its jarring.

The final fight is also pretty unimpressive and basically one sided with the cringe avengers winning and only losing Hange way way way back at the beginning. I mean, they all survive with the exception of Hange.

I mean, on a visual level its kind of hysterical to get to see Eren sitting in water, the shit kicked out of him by Armin, admitting he did it for the pussy and killed his mom.

Like many people have said, I think its pretty obvious that this ending was changed last minute due to editorial interference. They could gauge the reception of the incel virgin ending, but at this point, there's no indication that they're going to change anything. Its more work for MAPPA and it is very very very very unlikely they're going to change the 'genius' ending because that's how the world views Isayama now. I think its a hard cope that people think the anime will be any different. Unless there is some weirdo sort of compromise where the editors got one ending in the manga and Isayama got his ending in the anime or some shit like that.

But honestly, I don't think so. Isayama does not give enough of a shit and based the entirety of Eren's motivation on a three page flashback like 30 chapters or so ago. So MAPPA isn't going to spend money on a contract job to re-write the ending and Isayama does not care enough to do so.

We're basically waiting for anime people to catch up and laugh at them as they run in circles defending Eren's incels RISE UP.
Basically Shakespeare is a writer who used subtext and surprise to enhance, not destroy, your investment in the more simple foreground story you were paying attention to. He's not interested in catching his audience off guard so much as maybe tricking them just a little.
A lot of modern writers basically punish you if you're not a nerd hunting for Easter Eggs in the background so your harebrained theories can drive the social media engagement of their product. Then they punish you again by wanting to surprise you, which is now hard after you've thrown every halfway logical possibility onto the internet. So they have to really stretch.

The example of capeshit is interesting because the only successful shared universe cultural product is the MCU, which actually doesn't really do this. It pretends to so nerds keep it in "the discourse" but ultimately they don't give a fuck about what nerds theorized might happen. They're happy to be formulaic at the expense of being original. A lesson most pulp or genre creatives could stand to learn at this point.
Not that the MCU is high art or even that novel at this point. Just using them as an example of having sensible priorities for mass entertainment.

And comparing Shakespear to capeshit is ridiculous, agreed. The only thing that they have in common is wild popularity. The idea that Avengers will be taught in film school like MacBeth is taught in English courses is laughable. At most the Avengers provides lessons for the business, logistical, and planning side of any large creative media project. It's only interesting as a corporate endeavour, not as a story on its own.

Secret Asshole

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And yet we have another anime that handles racism better, 86 which basically has everyone not an aryan perfect silver-hair and amethyst eyed beauty forced into an abandoned shithole and fight their wars for them. And then uses propaganda to say that they're proudly using no humans in wars and there have been no casualties, while only a few handful know the horrible truth. They're told that they're 'human pigs' who failed to evolve. Propaganda indoctrinates the masses and the entire district is completely cut off so nobody can go in or see them. And there is strict control of information to not let any of this out, with dictatorial controls.

I mean, its such a joke to think AoT displays racial hatred in any sort of a fucking competent manner. Instead of everyone having brain parasites, people are kept under strict informational control, fed propaganda and then 'disappeared' when they try to preach the truth. Its insane to me that this story is a 'good' example of hatred. Its pathetically simplistic when you look at it and it makes me sad that other, better, stories are going to be overlooked because of this trash.
Basically Shakespeare is a writer who used subtext and surprise to enhance, not destroy, your investment in the more simple foreground story you were paying attention to. He's not interested in catching his audience off guard so much as maybe tricking them just a little.
A lot of modern writers basically punish you if you're not a nerd hunting for Easter Eggs in the background so your harebrained theories can drive the social media engagement of their product. Then they punish you again by wanting to surprise you, which is now hard after you've thrown every halfway logical possibility onto the internet. So they have to really stretch.

The example of capeshit is interesting because the only successful shared universe cultural product is the MCU, which actually doesn't really do this. It pretends to so nerds keep it in "the discourse" but ultimately they don't give a fuck about what nerds theorized might happen. They're happy to be formulaic at the expense of being original. A lesson most pulp or genre creatives could stand to learn at this point.
Not that the MCU is high art or even that novel at this point. Just using them as an example of having sensible priorities for mass entertainment.

And comparing Shakespear to capeshit is ridiculous, agreed. The only thing that they have in common is wild popularity. The idea that Avengers will be taught in film school like MacBeth is taught in English courses is laughable. At most the Avengers provides lessons for the business, logistical, and planning side of any large creative media project. It's only interesting as a corporate endeavour, not as a story on its own.
I do agree. He had no interest in surprising his audience and if they could see what was happening, all the better. I mean, the only 'capeshit' movie I can see Shakespear possibly making is 'Joker' which really isn't a super-hero movie or capeshit at all, its basically a real movie disguised as a comic book movie. But yeah, I fully agree with you there.

6MillionCoofs

kiwifarms.net
Yes. He would have literally made the formula for capeshit that everyone else follows probably before getting bored and going and doing it to something else. While revolutionising how film is structured for centuries to come.
And everyone who tried to do what he did would not do as good.
By no means did I mean to imply the stuff he would write would be run of the mill. It would not.

Also thanks for letting me know about 86. Seems fun so far.

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another thing that is interesting about 86 is that so far, those victimized don't seem to want to rebel against their situation or are going "LETS GENOICDE THE SILVERS". I mean, there might be more later, there's still some secrets going on and its only 2 episodes in so far, but it does war and racism better than AoT with two episodes.

AoT is immensely juvenile in comparison to both 86 and even Misfit, which I mentioned awhile ago. Isayama is no genius. All the racism in AoT is unrealistic, contrived and forced. Its like 'babys first manga' to see people going "SO DEEP". Yeah, there's about thousands upon thousands of others that are better deeper, well-drawn and well-written. AoT is low bar trash that only got popular due to a really good first two season anime and its music.
Yes. He would have literally made the formula for capeshit that everyone else follows probably before getting bored and going and doing it to something else. While revolutionising how film is structured for centuries to come.
And everyone who tried to do what he did would not do as good.
By no means did I mean to imply the stuff he would write would be run of the mill. It would not.

Also thanks for letting me know about 86. Seems fun so far.
I mean, maybe. But like I said, it'd be more stuff like Joker rather than anything like Avengers. I don't doubt he do something with it, considering that they're basically the equivalent of modern myths, but he'd only use the ones from the 50s-60s and maybe up to the 80s and 90s. And it would be nothing like we'd know them. Like I said multiple times, it'd probably be Joker, which is the closest analogue I could think of with super heroes. It'd be unrecognizable.

Yeah, 86 is good. Its not really mecha, its more like what urban tanks would look like with Boston dynamics.

Estate

Khazar milkers inspector
kiwifarms.net
And yet we have another anime that handles racism better, 86 which basically has everyone not an aryan perfect silver-hair and amethyst eyed beauty forced into an abandoned shithole and fight their wars for them. And then uses propaganda to say that they're proudly using no humans in wars and there have been no casualties, while only a few handful know the horrible truth. They're told that they're 'human pigs' who failed to evolve. Propaganda indoctrinates the masses and the entire district is completely cut off so nobody can go in or see them. And there is strict control of information to not let any of this out, with dictatorial controls.
When it comes to works that have race as a motif, I have close to no expectations that it will be something good. Especially in anime, manga, comics or any other medium that is mostly targeted at teens. You will just see the same old tropes, formulaic structure and some initial gimmick to make it stand out a bit.
Maybe I've become a boomer, maybe it's the fact that I've read a lot and have a wider pool to draw comparison from, but it feels like today the authors just copy each other and add some shtick to it, or play it safe, or are just bad at it.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with your statements and appreciate the effort posts, but AoT has shit the bed so much, that anything with a pulse and a promise is automatically better then it.
I mean, its such a joke to think AoT displays racial hatred in any sort of a fucking competent manner. Instead of everyone having brain parasites, people are kept under strict informational control, fed propaganda and then 'disappeared' when they try to preach the truth. Its insane to me that this story is a 'good' example of hatred. Its pathetically simplistic when you look at it and it makes me sad that other, better, stories are going to be overlooked because of this trash.
Good works will eventually find themselves in the hands of people who want and look for such things.
Do you really wish for normies to find and start complaining or otherwise ruin in other manner the things you enjoy?
For example, I always liked Nihei and I loved Blame. It had the right amount of nihilistic bleakness, architectural weirdness and autism for me to enjoy. No faggot shit like love, romance, harems or whatever horseshit is used today to sell something to the societal dregs.
Biomega was similar in approach, but some of the magic was gone and it felt rushed and missing certain elements . Then, maybe he got more popular, maybe some manager cocksucker or whatever corpo suit got to him, but he decided to appeal to normies, to casuals, to the usual social media devouring worthless worms and we got the painfully mediocre abortion that is called Knight of Sidonia. To this day, this topic causes me extreme butthurt.
Anyway, bottom line, better stories being overlooked ain't that bad a thing imo.
AoT is immensely juvenile in comparison to both 86 and even Misfit, which I mentioned awhile ago. Isayama is no genius. All the racism in AoT is unrealistic, contrived and forced. Its like 'babys first manga' to see people going "SO DEEP". Yeah, there's about thousands upon thousands of others that are better deeper, well-drawn and well-written. AoT is low bar trash that only got popular due to a really good first two season anime and its music.
If Isay*ma proved anything is that something doesn't need to be good, it only needs to appear good.
If you do this, every clout chasing fart sniffer will come out of the woodwork to tell their mouth breeding mongrel audience how deep or clever or insightful this work is, and they will lap it up, because thinking for oneself is not something you do when you hit the bell and subscribe button.
Screen cap this shit and mark my words. When the anime for this will catch up, prepare for a horde of dirt eaters to infest and post everywhere how this is the greatest anime of all time. MARK. MY. FUCKING. WORDS

Damn, this was a lot of REEEEE! on my part.

Thiletonomics

조 바이든 승리의 쌀.
kiwifarms.net
I like how this thread just doesn't give a shit about AoT anymore

It's funny that people still shit on, make fun of, and talk about things in the Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and The Last of Us 2 threads, yet here it's not much happening, as if people are sick and tired of the Subverting Expectations trend, and just move on when that happens.

Next Time on Death Battle...
DFF735BA-20AE-4580-8307-9D8C85E3D866.png