Attack on Titan Griefing Thread - >tfw literally the entire world wants your race extinct because of some pigs

How will Eren be stopped?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Attack on Titan oozed with grimdark potential in the first season, but I knew to jump ship by the end of season two when it was revealed that the Beast Titan was just another titan shifter and he was responsible for there being so many titans in the first place. Then it turned out Erin had the ability to force titans to do things. The whole show built up to a much bigger payoff than the one it gave, sadly. I tried sitting through season 3 but I felt like I just skipped a whole arch between point 2 and 3. It really just fell apart at the seams.

One Piece because its too weird to take seriously.
One Piece is trucking along just fine imo. It's yet to delve into the retarded spheres that AoT has dipped into, with the power creep being kept impressively modest by comparison of certain contemporaries.

The only problem I had with One Piece was the Dressrosa arc and that's just because there was a huge glut of characters suddenly introduced and half of Doflamingo's mob family are dedicated to 70% of these newbies.

A more minor nitpick of mine is I didn't like that Thriller Bark came after the CP9 fight, Water 7 felt like a culminating moment for the Straw Hat crew in that each of them had their own counterpart to fight that wasn't just some goon with a gimmick, but government ordained professional killers. Then after that you have a goofy, fuck-off arc that introduces a new member to the crew where the main villain can be described as a giant walking water balloon with eyeliner, and he has about three main goons, one which can't fight, to the Straw Hat's eight people, & the big reason they actually have trouble with Gecko Moria is because they're literally stuck having to fight their own clones.
The problem is, we knew that there was something outside of the walls that might have been people. It isn't much that its a twist, it is a complete and utter genre change. Which I've rarely seen go well. And Attack on Titan is one of the most jarring genre-shifts out there. It doesn't go from horror to action or adventure. It goes from horror, to Game of Thrones, World War II, boring political thriller. That's not a genre shift, that's like, a genre leap and then sprint. Its barely in the same REALM as it was. It should have all been post-apocalyptic, and someone mentioned in my Subverting Expectations thread, that there should have been some menacing force like The White Walkers or The Others, something that was corralling humanity, manipulating the Titan Shifters.. Like, have humanity and the Titan shifters outside the wall be just as terrified of these unknown things that are manipulating them to slowly destroy humanity itself. Have the next arc be to try to mend ties with the outside world and fight this mysterious enemy of humanity, the force behind the titans and the titan shifters. The problem is, once everything is revealed, the antagonists go from these mysterious, titan shifters and man-eating creatures to....other people. That's a huge downgrade. You don't trade down, you trade up. And to me, that's why Attack on Titan fails. It trades an incredibly interesting idea for an incredibly boring, hashed out one. "HUMANITY IS THE REAL ENEMY GUYZ" THANK YOU FOR THAT WONDERFUL REALIZATION. IT HAS BEEN A THEME SINCE, OH, THE BEGINNING OF FUCKING TIME. Jesus christ. That shit is seriously no longer a trope and just moved into full cliche mode because it is fucking up more stories than its helping at this point. It doesn't help that the people who use this device do terrible shit like this.

The time-skip is purely because Isayama: 1) Needed to recover after the genre-shift 2) Only had a very small awareness of the mystery of the titans 3) Needed to introduce a time pressure on the protagonist. The time-skip was completely unnecessary narrative wise and story wise and was only done for practical purposes and allow Isayama breathing room. To me, the manga has never recovered from the genre leap and sprint to the time-skip. It has narritvely, thematically and tonally changed. Characters don't make sense. Eren hasn't made any fucking sense in years. Zeke has never made any fucking sense because Isayama has no clue what to do with him.

I think the Manga is going to end before Season 4 comes out, because we're entering really the last year or two of it. And they'll really know how they feel since next week is the huge genre...whatever the fuck he did. So there's already going to be a huge shift in viewers and the anime's popularity. I don't know, maybe the immense craving for more GoT garbage will save it from the reader drop-off the Manga had.
Here's what should've happened. There is no Zeke, the Beast Titan is not a Titan Shifter, the Beast Titan is just what he appears to be, a grizzly Titan that talks. It can still turn people into Titans. From there, you can go two ways with it since the devil is apparently involved in the root of the story anyways, the Beast Titan is an agent of God sent down to punish humanity for consorting with the devil. Or the Beast Titan is from Hell to wreak havoc on humanity. Either way, the Beast Titan showing up is just a response to humanity seemingly making progress toward expanding their territory and becoming successful for once, so Beasty's gotta clean house, and that's why he didn't show up until now. Turns out your regular Titans are supposed to just be the end of humanity on auto-pilot, and were expected to be successful without assistance, but that turns out to be wrong so the forces that be are now rolling up their sleeves to get personally involved.

Ymir didn't just sell her own soul to Satan, she sold out humanity's soul, so humanity is no longer in God's light. Maybe the devil is actually dead somehow and he was the lynch pin on keeping Hell in its place, so slaying him for his power lets all the evil shit he kept contained out, so now there's no central authority figure guiding the legions of Hell to a central goal. Nevertheless, their presence on Earth spreads like poison over the whole globe, where some are still loyal to ol' Lucifer's machinations of annihilating humanity as a way to spit in God's eye by robbing him of his most precious project, while others simply seek to corrupt humanity for their own amusement, and some are utterly indifferent to causing plight on people and just want to partake in Earth's splendor regardless.

The Titan Shifters who attacked the wall are actually just nihilists following the angelic/demonic push to destroy humanity's last bastion of safety and drive them to extinction altogether, like an inverse of Noah's Arc where the Arc is the wall.

Everything proceeding from there is humanity's attempt to fight back and undo the deal somehow so they can get back into God's light and/or force the devil's corpse back into the plug after flushing the forces of Hell back into their brimstone pit.

Then somehow it turns out the devil wasn't fully dead after all, just in part of merely inert, whatever the case is, they 'resurrect' him and now he's free from Hell and it was all just one giant gamble to get out of Hell and slay humanity himself, which ends in a climax of humanity uniting to slay the Prince of Lies once and for all.

The Titans are really just the Nephilim when you think about it.

Last edited:

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh god yes. And we're not even talking about Isayma not understanding anything about World War II, trying to push a child soldier that killed an extremely popular character on his readers for chapters at a time, forcing her to become a center piece, and when his readers refused to like her, he made the character's family FORGIVE HER AND TAKE HER IN, even though she thought these people were devils who deserved to be eaten and starved to death. Which still didn't make his readers accept her.
RIP Potato Girl.

garakfan69

Mentally Enabled Schizoposter
kiwifarms.net
I haven't read the manga but in the show the twists bother me less than the pacing.

It always hypes you up for some action, but then just cuts mid-scene to some overlong exposition. It then only continues the action scene once you completely stopped caring about the action.
Lots of anime have similar pacing issues but I have never seen one that was this bad.

Every episode is one minute of action with 15 minutes of exposition between it and it's not even a low budget show. It could've been a decent action anime with a fun setup if it didn't focus on its boring story and characters filled with tired shonen cliches.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't reply to the whole thing because on mobile (and I'm trying to discuss without getting too spoiled). But I'll make a good try of it:

I think a more appropriate genre shift would have been to a more war-themed one. The political machinations just don't interest me at all (because they're all dumped on the reader at once), and I was honestly befuddled by a lot of things as soon as the adrenaline high faded after the Marley raid.

I think the shift to humans as villains wasn't bad in itself, there's a lot of good post-apocalyptic stuff where humans make for great enemies (you can do a lot more with them than with faceless monsters), Jericho was an example of this imo. But I think my main problem is that I don't have a lot of confidence in Isayama's ability to wrap it up properly, which is partially why I don't feel very compelled to keep going until it all ends.

I believe the manga was already confirmed to be heading towards it's final arc. This won't last long imo.

My brother actually got into the series after the GoT show ended, he's not yet at the timeskip point, but I feel like his reaction to it all will be interesting to see lol.
I don't want to spoil things for you. But I agree, I think it should have just gone to the horrors of war, Marley going full out 'Welp, fuck you devil people' and having it turn into a grim-dark war setting. That would have been better and kept the tone and somewhat themes of the previous third. But the problem is it basically becomes a whole different series. Some people think this is brilliant, but its idiotic. If you wanted to write a story like that, AoT does not fit, I still really am completely unconvinced that the WWI/WWII political/magical/Time Travel shit fits at all. Brevity is the soul of wit and AoT is fucking jammed with too much shit that it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Humans as villains can be good but as it stands, you have to make them as fearsome, terrifying and ruthless as the Titans. Because you need to replace them with something equal to or worse than them. And they're really just...not. He tries to go 'Oh, both sides are bad', but anyone who buys that is delusional. Its like if we held modern day Italians in concentration camps for the crimes of the Roman Empire. Nobody is going to side with you. Its stupid. You've got this one island vs. the entire world. And that island has been persecuted for centuries, tortured, suffered multiple genocides. There's very, very little room for grey there. Eren went Dresden on them. Ok, and? One civilian attack is not equivalent to centuries of horror, pain, suffering and genocide.

I do find it hilarious that Isayama thinks that this negates things and has the island get pissed at him. Rationally, once they got found out as knowing the existence of the truth and having no way for their minds to be wiped, it was only a matter of time before the rest of the world just went and killed the island. Twiddling your thumbs only allows them to build up an invasion force and kill you all. They were prepared to have you die horrible deaths through getting devoured alive and starvation, think you are the spawn of Satan, and they're just going to let you sit around when you've got the founding Titan and the Colossus Titan? Yeah, ok. Eren did a first strike, which makes a lot more sense without the time-skip (hence why the time-skip is fucking stupid).

Eren isn't like Dany, killing women and children after they surrendered. He does a first strike to wipe out their leadership. To think that he dragged the island into war is laughable. War was inevitable. If Isayama is suggesting that there would be peace if Eren didn't do what he did, he's fucking retar.ded. In the narrative he constructed, Marley would have eventually killed them all. That's why the entire thematic process of AoT makes no fucking sense, unless you're a child or a manchild. What Marley has done is basically unforgivable. That stain is not removable. Eren was just being completely pragmatic. The island was completely outnumbered, out-teched and out gunned and not doing anything was basically asking for death. The civilian populace there hated the island anyway and approved of their horrible fucking deaths, so winning them over was never going to work.

We firebombed the ever-living fuck out of Japan in WWII. We burned thousands upon thousands of civilians alive, since they were wooden cities. Same with Dresden. And we were the good guys. To be frank, there were no shades of grey during the second world war, even if we did do horrible shit. There really weren't. The entire continent of Europe faced being cloaked in dictatorship. Asia faced the same fate, torture, murder, rape and destruction by Japan. The consequences of not winning were grave. If we lost, there would be massive genocides by both Germany and Japan. We did do horrible things, but war is horrible and there's always a price to victory, even when you are just. So for Isayama to go 'BOTH SIDES ARE BAD HURR' I'm like, no. No faggot. You understand literally nothing. Its like a first year philosophy student's understanding of WWII. Which is why I view AoT as a complete narrative failure at this point, because the author's wishes are in direct contradiction to the story he's told us. Its just infuriating because you had this great premise completely fucked over by the author's ego and desire to drag the plot to places it can't go. Also the amount of plot armor everyone has until they don't is fucking hilarious to me.

Oh boy. Well, luckily for him, he won't have to deal with 10 months of Marley bullshit. The problem is the massive wait, and the year of bullshit nobody cares about which is what caused the huge drop. He gets to keep going. But the anime is going to suffer a lot when the time-skip and Marley chapters hit. It isn't a wonder Wit is passing on Season 4, because it is literally a whole different series in a few episodes. Yes, AoT is making a lot of money now, but it basically becomes a completely different story. You don't know if the audience is going to stick around for it and if it is going to remain profitable. Best to check out while its at the height of its popularity before seeing if the new arc craters it into the fucking ground like the manga.

I wonder how many people are going to be so pissed when the next chapter comes out.
Knowing Isayama, it will be a boring chapter that answers nothing and drags the story out even more to troll people. We won't know if Levi is alive or dead for another 3 months probably. Him killing Levi would be funny as hell to me. I think he'd basically lose like 70% of his readership if he did that haha.

Bunny Tracks

You and I'll be safe and sound
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't want to spoil things for you. But I agree, I think it should have just gone to the horrors of war, Marley going full out 'Welp, fuck you devil people' and having it turn into a grim-dark war setting. That would have been better and kept the tone and somewhat themes of the previous third. But the problem is it basically becomes a whole different series. Some people think this is brilliant, but its idiotic. If you wanted to write a story like that, AoT does not fit, I still really am completely unconvinced that the WWI/WWII political/magical/Time Travel shit fits at all. Brevity is the soul of wit and AoT is fucking jammed with too much shit that it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Humans as villains can be good but as it stands, you have to make them as fearsome, terrifying and ruthless as the Titans. Because you need to replace them with something equal to or worse than them. And they're really just...not. He tries to go 'Oh, both sides are bad', but anyone who buys that is delusional. Its like if we held modern day Italians in concentration camps for the crimes of the Roman Empire. Nobody is going to side with you. Its stupid. You've got this one island vs. the entire world. And that island has been persecuted for centuries, tortured, suffered multiple genocides. There's very, very little room for grey there. Eren went Dresden on them. Ok, and? One civilian attack is not equivalent to centuries of horror, pain, suffering and genocide.

I do find it hilarious that Isayama thinks that this negates things and has the island get pissed at him. Rationally, once they got found out as knowing the existence of the truth and having no way for their minds to be wiped, it was only a matter of time before the rest of the world just went and killed the island. Twiddling your thumbs only allows them to build up an invasion force and kill you all. They were prepared to have you die horrible deaths through getting devoured alive and starvation, think you are the spawn of Satan, and they're just going to let you sit around when you've got the founding Titan and the Colossus Titan? Yeah, ok. Eren did a first strike, which makes a lot more sense without the time-skip (hence why the time-skip is fucking stupid).

Eren isn't like Dany, killing women and children after they surrendered. He does a first strike to wipe out their leadership. To think that he dragged the island into war is laughable. War was inevitable. If Isayama is suggesting that there would be peace if Eren didn't do what he did, he's fucking retar.ded. In the narrative he constructed, Marley would have eventually killed them all. That's why the entire thematic process of AoT makes no fucking sense, unless you're a child or a manchild. What Marley has done is basically unforgivable. That stain is not removable. Eren was just being completely pragmatic. The island was completely outnumbered, out-teched and out gunned and not doing anything was basically asking for death. The civilian populace there hated the island anyway and approved of their horrible fucking deaths, so winning them over was never going to work.

We firebombed the ever-living fuck out of Japan in WWII. We burned thousands upon thousands of civilians alive, since they were wooden cities. Same with Dresden. And we were the good guys. To be frank, there were no shades of grey during the second world war, even if we did do horrible shit. There really weren't. The entire continent of Europe faced being cloaked in dictatorship. Asia faced the same fate, torture, murder, rape and destruction by Japan. The consequences of not winning were grave. If we lost, there would be massive genocides by both Germany and Japan. We did do horrible things, but war is horrible and there's always a price to victory, even when you are just. So for Isayama to go 'BOTH SIDES ARE BAD HURR' I'm like, no. No faggot. You understand literally nothing. Its like a first year philosophy student's understanding of WWII. Which is why I view AoT as a complete narrative failure at this point, because the author's wishes are in direct contradiction to the story he's told us. Its just infuriating because you had this great premise completely fucked over by the author's ego and desire to drag the plot to places it can't go. Also the amount of plot armor everyone has until they don't is fucking hilarious to me.

Oh boy. Well, luckily for him, he won't have to deal with 10 months of Marley bullshit. The problem is the massive wait, and the year of bullshit nobody cares about which is what caused the huge drop. He gets to keep going. But the anime is going to suffer a lot when the time-skip and Marley chapters hit. It isn't a wonder Wit is passing on Season 4, because it is literally a whole different series in a few episodes. Yes, AoT is making a lot of money now, but it basically becomes a completely different story. You don't know if the audience is going to stick around for it and if it is going to remain profitable. Best to check out while its at the height of its popularity before seeing if the new arc craters it into the fucking ground like the manga.

The main issue I have with Eren making the first strike is just how monumentally stupid it was both in-story and out. War was definitely inevitable, but the Islanders could've prepared more, and have technologically advanced if Eren hadn't fucked off, and ruined everything. He could've focused his attack on government buildings, or military bases, but no. He decided to rampage down town. In the end, his attack did nothing, but waste civilian lives, get Sasha killed, and bring war down upon an unprepared country.

And don't get me wrong. I don't give a shit about the KoM. At all. I hate all of them. The single slight exception to this is Pieck, and that's only because she wanted to shoot Levi in the face. Everyone else can go get fucked. What they've done is unforgivable, and I couldn't care less if they all died.

And yet Isayama keeps making us want to feel bad for them, despite all the shit they've done. But you know what makes this all even worse? There was an easy way to do that.

DON'T MAKE THEM NAZIS. OR AT THE VERY LEAST, DON'T HAVE THE CIVILIANS BE NAZIS.

What gets me the most is that Isayama could've made both sides sympathetic if he had just made the KoM's government the bad guy. He just should've gone full-on 1984, and have it so that the civilian population was constantly living in fear of their lives. We know that the KoM can turn people into Titans, so why not have the government do that to the populace whenever someone steps out of line. Have it kind of be like North Korea in which everyone in your family gets punished. Stage fake Paradis Island Titan attacks. Gaslight them. Brainwash them. That would make them sympathetic.

You know what doesn't make them sympathetic? Having them be all gun-ho about it, and racist as all get out. They're not sorry about what they did. They're proud of it. They don't care that hundreds of thousands of people have died for flimsiest reasons. If anything, they think more should have died. And it's for that reason, that nobody with any semblance of reason, or consciousness will never, ever, like, or pity the KoM.
Knowing Isayama, it will be a boring chapter that answers nothing and drags the story out even more to troll people. We won't know if Levi is alive or dead for another 3 months probably. Him killing Levi would be funny as hell to me. I think he'd basically lose like 70% of his readership if he did that haha.
I am making no exaggeration when I say that Levi is the only thing keeping this series afloat. Literally no one gives a shit about the plot, or any of the other characters with the possible exception of Eren. Every single post I see whenever a new chapter comes out is just fawning, and whining about Levi.

If he dies, the entire series is fucked. Instantly 90% of the readership would be gone. Isayama would have to be insane to kill him, and yet if he did, he would gain back some of my respect. Because Levi should've died ages ago. He's a crutch, and the one responsible for most of the fuck ups in the series. It's time he fucking died.

Last edited:

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The thread but it's a video version.

Why did he have to pull the time travel trick?
I guess the time loop thing could make sense if you think about it from the perspective of what it means to cut a deal with the devil for ultimate power, so what else would the devil want than for humanity to torture itself over and over again and postpone progress in any way for all eternity? Of course, I probably just shat out more thought into it than what the author gave as justification.

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is a thread that's been long overdue.

The tl;dr summary for the series is that Attack on Titan is currently an ongoing story that started out as a unique spin on the zombie apocalypse genre before slowly devolving into what can only be described as some really weird, and contrived WWII-esque GoT fanfic that makes less and less sense with every new chapter. For a more in-depth explanation, I'd like to use @Secret Asshole's post from his thread on Subverting Expectations because he sums it up way better than I ever could.

I mean, for non-anime people, I really feel like I have to explain how really jarring this was. Attack on Titan was this post-apocalypse setting where the remnants of humanity were set up in these huge walls, surrounded by gigantic titans, monsters that would just eat people. Then you gradually learn there are sentient titans, humans that can control these monsters. So there's this big mystery, the primary genre is the horror of people fighting these things. The answers are held in the protagonist's basement. For which there's this huge charge, a major sacrifice, huge character deaths to get to.

Then it turns out that no, humanity is thriving and just fine, and the island is just a World War 2 concentration camp (figuratively) because the world hates the Jews people on this island and they're there for punishment. They just have a deus ex machina magic titan that uses the MIB mind eraser on the entire population of this island to forget the existence of the rest of the world to make an excuse as to 'why don't they know the world exists'. Then there's a whole bunch of bullshit nonsense with royal families and bloodlines and shit and eventually most of the 'fighting these horrifying titans' are replaced with some stupid fucking world political machinations and its just fucking nauseatingly bad, where Isayama did a major timeskip after this revelation and basically the protagonist's motivations have made absolutely no sense since then, because he clearly doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. Fuck even the major ANTAGONIST'S actions make no sense at all. Even WITH what he revealed.

It gets worse.

One of the more disturbing things to note in AoT is that the author, Isayama, seems to want us to think both sides are bad despite one the sides being literal Nazis. You see, it turns out the big bad responsible for everything in the series is actually an evil kingdom known as the Kingdom of Marley, (yes, that is really its name) and it's very clearly an analogue for Nazi Germany. Here are just some of the reasons:
  • 1930s attire
  • Secret Police
  • German names
  • Ghettos separating people based on race
  • Society is incredibly racist
  • Genociding people
  • The island the OG cast is on is basically just one big concentration camp
Despite all of these reasons, Isayama either doesn't realize this, is truly ignorant of the brutality and evilness of the Nazis, or he just doesn't care. It could be a combination of all three, really. The thing is, though, is that even if all this was just coincidental it doesn't excuse the fact that he still tried to get us to feel bad for a kingdom that has been feeding hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children alive to huge monsters while the rest of them die of starvation.

His attempt at making us sympathize with the KoM basically amounts to having the protagonist, Eren, stoop to their level and purposefully kill a bunch of KoM civilians, and then trying to show that the Nazis KoM had hard lives too. It did not work because the KoM is still an analogue for Nazis. All it really did was piss off more people.

There's other shit like how the KoM entire existence basically breaks the entire world building of the series, the ever-increasing amount of plotholes, asspulls, contrivances, and the very stupid, and yet somehow real possibility that this entire story might be a time loop, but I think it's best to stop here. If you have anything to add, please do so.
I haven't read the manga nor watched the show in five years. Wasn't this supposed to be an action-horror show? How is it that out of ideas to where it's ripping off The Village?

Reactions: The V

Secret Asshole

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The main issue I have with Eren making the first strike is just how monumentally stupid it was both in-story and out. War was definitely inevitable, but the Islanders could've prepared more, and have technologically advanced if Eren hadn't fucked off, and ruined everything. He could've focused his attack on government buildings, or military bases, but no. He decided to rampage down town. In the end, his attack did nothing, but waste civilian lives, get Sasha killed, and bring war down upon an unprepared country.

And don't get me wrong. I don't give a shit about the KoM. At all. I hate all of them. The single slight exception to this is Pieck, and that's only because she wanted to shoot Levi in the face. Everyone else can go get fucked. What they've done is unforgivable, and I couldn't care less if they all died.

And yet Isayama keeps making us want to feel bad for them, despite all the shit they've done. But you know what makes this all even worse? There was an easy way to do that.

DON'T MAKE THEM NAZIS. OR AT THE VERY LEAST, DON'T HAVE THE CIVILIANS BE NAZIS.

What gets me the most is that Isayama could've made both sides sympathetic if he had just made the KoM's government the bad guy. He just should've gone full-on 1984, and have it so that the civilian population was constantly living in fear of their lives. We know that the KoM can turn people into Titans, so why not have the government do that to the populace whenever someone steps out of line. Have it kind of be like North Korea in which everyone in your family gets punished. Stage fake Paradis Island Titan attacks. Gaslight them. Brainwash them. That would make them sympathetic.

You know what doesn't make them sympathetic? Having them be all gun-ho about it, and racist as all get out. They're not sorry about what they did. They're proud of it. They don't care that hundreds of thousands of people have died for flimsiest reasons. If anything, they think more should have died. And it's for that reason, that nobody with any semblance of reason, or consciousness will never, ever, like, or pity the KoM.

I am making no exaggeration when I say that Levi is the only thing keeping this series afloat. Literally no one gives a shit about the plot, or any of the other characters with the possible exception of Eren. Every single post I see whenever a new chapter comes out is just fawning, and whining about Levi.

If he dies, the entire series is fucked. Instantly 90% of the readership would be gone. Isayama would have to be insane to kill him, and yet if he did, he would gain back some of my respect. Because if Levi should've died ages ago. He's a crutch, and the one responsible for most of the fuck ups in the series. It's time he fucking died.
Same here, but he doesn't get it. And the idea of the time loop makes basically everything right now that we're discussing pointless. I've got this feeling in my brain we're going to see a major switcharoo again and its going to de-evolve into some supernatural/magical/time travel shit that makes the war with Marley and all the suffering they went through pointless as fuck. Call it a gut feeling about cratering the franchise with no survivors.

Exactly. There are characters he can't kill off otherwise its pretty much over. Levi is a big one. The funny thing is nobody really seems to give a fuck about the plot at all, everyone just likes the characters and ships them. Go to any AoT thread on Plebbit or 4chan and its 90% shipping or how saying Isayma is some sort of Autistic genius.

Attack on Intelligence.
You can't pick apart Attack on Titan. You just have to be a mongoloid and have your eyes glaze over while you read it.

The thread but it's a video version.

Why did he have to pull the time travel trick?
Seriously, I couldn't watch that video for more than a minute without wanting to vomit. I love that this guy has his room decked out in all the Attack on Titan shit and he's sperging out over the most fucktarded idea this manga could do. Its honestly downright embarrassing. Nigger, a time loop isn't genius. It means nothing ever gets solved and you waste the reader's time. Stephen King couldn't even make that work, and you think some Nip cunt is going to be able to do it? At least King had an excuse, Roland was OBSESSED with the Tower. He couldn't not climb it. Even when he saved the universe. It is a direct result of Roland's actions and obsessions that he's repeating the same thing over and over (but its implied next time will be different, because he starts with the Horn of Jericho). But it was nearly universally LOATHED. If he's going that route, especially if the Attack Titan has more freedom and shit to break it, I'd call that plagiarizing the ending. Badly. Its like he looked in Wikipedia for the Dark Tower ending and tweaked it barely.

I'll give you a hint why: You need to give your story closure. Even if it ends with Armageddon and everyone dead, its fucking better than a time loop. Marginally, but still better.

Isayama did the time-travel nonsense the same reason he put in all the Game of Thrones stuff. Because he saw something he liked and put it in there. The manga is terrible fucking hodge podge of garbage whose theme, tone and narrative are so fucking garbled it is going to be almost impossible to end satisfactory. Someone should hand him a good book and tell him, "Stop being a faggot and don't plagiarize the Dark Tower you stupid piece of shit. Everyone knows because everyone hated it. You shit fucking writer."

I can’t believe a couple of things:

1. That Attack on Titan is still going.

2. That people are still reading it.

Honestly, it went downhill for me when the identities of the Colossal and Armoured Titan were revealed.
Its only going because of the anime. The anime made it the hit that it is, and Wiz is getting the fuck out before the re.tarded shit comes in. In all honesty, you cannot expect to keep viewership when the series basically becomes a completely different one. I don't even know how they're going to make a movie about this, its almost impossible.

I guess the time loop thing could make sense if you think about it from the perspective of what it means to cut a deal with the devil for ultimate power, so what else would the devil want than for humanity to torture itself over and over again and postpone progress in any way for all eternity? Of course, I probably just shat out more thought into it than what the author gave as justification.
You did. But reminder: None of this mythology is explicit or honestly well thought out. Its maybe a handful of the pages and panels in an over 118 chapter story. PATHS and time travel are one slapdash idea among dozens and dozens. People think because Isayama included all these themes he's some genius. He's not.

Basically, this is why he wants a time loop:

No real reason or theme or any narrative sense. Because he likes the idea. That's why.

The ONLY way a time-loop works is if Eren somehow discovered this was all in a loop, and his entire secret plot is breaking that loop, using everyone around him to do it, so they don't keep suffering. That I could tolerate. Otherwise, nope. Fuck off with that faggot nonsense.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The ONLY way a time-loop works is if Eren somehow discovered this was all in a loop, and his entire secret plot is breaking that loop, using everyone around him to do it, so they don't keep suffering. That I could tolerate. Otherwise, nope. Fuck off with that faggot nonsense.
The problem with that would be that in order for it to be a loop at all is that any knowledge of it or attempt to break it would have to be part of the loop itself to happen, which means that no attempt at breaking it hasn't already been tried before which means none of them will ever succeed. Once you pull a story into a time loop, there is no logical way of getting out of it.

Secret Asshole

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not necessarily. A lot of time loop stories have the protagonists knowing that they're in a time loop. The problem originates is that they don't know why or how they can break it. The nature of time-loop stories and their themes are very much the human condition. Our mistakes are often repeated time and time and time again in our entire lives, and its hard to learn with and overcome them. If you read into a lot of time loop stories, they're extremely personal journeys, set around one character, telling one particular message. Their themes are tightly bound, as well as the tone of the work.

The thing I hate with this sort of ass-pull and the thing that reader's hated with Kings, is that you can't introduce this in the last second. It needs, by nature, to be the main crux of the story. It really isn't a thing that's sort of casual, like King did with The Dark Tower. You fuck over your readers.

Of course, there are a lot of good time loop stories where the protagonists don't know. The closest thing to Attack on Titan would be 'The X-Files' Episode 'Monday' or the TNG Episode 'Cause and Effect', where they keep getting blown up over and over. They realize they're in some sort of loop by extreme senses of deja vu.

The thing that is the recent
resurrection of Zeke, who blew himself the fuck up so hard he went into another dimension where all the PATHS reside and had his body literally remade by a little girl and sand. Figure that the fuck out

Or even funnier:

4vZZo.png

This by far is the strongest evidence for the Time Loop that's been presented. Since PATHS transcend time and space. (This is 20 years before Eren is born). So, theoretically, it could be Eren telling his own father to have a child, which would break the loop. Since PATHS transcend time and space, you'd have to realize a loop was there, eventually. You'd just see the same things over and over again. I'd laugh if it was Eren 'I'm my own grandpa' sort of deal. (This is not unprecedented in sci-fi. Robert Heinleins 'All You Zombies' has every character being the main character. The main character is a hermaphrodite and he impregnates himself. Yes it is weird. And cool. Also for everyone saying Heinlein is a facist he wrote a story about a time-traveling hermaphrodite who has sex with themselves. Eat that).

But honestly, it being a time loop is fucking stupid as all fuck. Unless he's setting up one to break it. The its just kinda fucking stupid. But still stupid.

Last edited:

kadoink

kiwifarms.net
Heinline knew what he was doing. Isamaya is kinda eh. Also, Heinline wrote Star ship troopers. What have you written? Ya know...besides funny Kiwi articles and stuff.

Bunny Tracks

You and I'll be safe and sound
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
resurrection of Zeke, who blew himself the fuck up so hard he went into another dimension where all the PATHS reside and had his body literally remade by a little girl and sand. Figure that the fuck out
Somehow I had completely forgotten about that, and now that you've reminded me, I just spent the last five minutes laughing at how stupid it is. Even when compared to everything else.

Also, I just realized that if Levi survives it means he's so overpowered that he can survive a blast that literally sent a guy into another dimension. What the actual fuck?

Secret Asshole

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Heinline knew what he was doing. Isamaya is kinda eh. Also, Heinline wrote Star ship troopers. What have you written? Ya know...besides funny Kiwi articles and stuff.
I never said he didn't, I like a lot Heinlein, he's one of the masters of sci-fi, I just don't agree that he's a fascist. I don't think Isayma knows what he's doing and has been winging it. Countless short stories, a novella, half a novel and countless writing exercises, including collaborative storytelling. And lots of science stuff, which you can deduce if they've been published or not, but I'd say but I can't power-level. Its just too dangerous. But science is my main bread and butter, and science is all about good stories. The language and jargon are different, but the idea of tones, themes and being linked circularly is actually the same. All good science tells you a story. Nearly everything does.

But even with scientific presentations, grants and proposals, entire courses I've written, they all still need to come together thematically and sensical to teach you something. You still need to know how to tell a story. I've been writing since I was a child, but I mostly do it for my own enjoyment. I've read a lot, studied a lot. I've read what works and what doesn't. I know how to frame arguments and keep them consistent, which is basically the same for narrative story-telling. I mentioned in one thread how story-telling is basic human communication that follows from everything to fiction to scholarly works to science to job interviews. Knowing how to tell a story is how you communicate laymen your work. If you're obtuse, you'll never be able to communicate the point of what you're doing. In science, you also need to know your audience. You may not think it, but science writing and fiction has lots of overlap. Part of the problem with a lot of science people is they don't know the importance of telling a story. I could probably explain to anyone of you here complicated science concepts in terms of a story that most anyone could understand. And that's a skill to do with narrative, not knowing the science. In fact, if you can tell a good story, the science falls by the wayside. Theranos was a GREAT story. Blonde white girl, college drop out, saving the world with her blood device. It was an amazing tail that suckered in the media and scientists alike, even though upon the most cursory glance, Theranos violated the laws of physics. That's the power of a good story in science. It fills you with wonder and imagination, hope for the future, hiding its ugly truth in a beautiful narrative.

You don't have to be a published writer (At least fiction) to understand how to frame narratives and themes. You just have to consume a lot of forms of various media and dissect them a lot. It requires a lot of critical thinking skills, which are sadly absent these days. Writing perhaps is one of my strongest skills and has carried me a very long way. I know how to write organically without it being stilted and jarring, and forcing my point upon others where it doesn't fit. You can criticize me for not having published fiction, but look at my arguments.

Sorry if this seems defensive, but I don't know if you're asking earnestly or being critical. If you're being earnest, I apologize, its so hard to tell. If you are critiquing me, I hope I've validated some of these points for you.

Somehow I had completely forgotten about that, and now that you've reminded me, I just spent the last five minutes laughing at how stupid it is. Even when compared to everything else.

Also, I just realized that if Levi survives it means he's so overpowered that he can survive a blast that literally sent a guy into another dimension. What the actual fuck?
I mean, look at this shit:

Untitled.png

What in the ever-living fuck. Zeke is 100% dead. I'd post the other panel, but he's been tortured, has no energy left and got blown the fuck into pieces. And then is literally taken into another dimension by the titan for this to happen. Which how is it a timeloop? They took him to a place that transcends time and space, meaning loops don't matter. So...what the fucking fuck? What fucktarded shit is going on here? Is there some little girl that wants to perpetuate human suffering forever? Or is Eren trying to break the loop because he has a coordinate and is sacrificing everything to do that? Who in the ever-living fuck knows, but this plot is becoming more and more weighed down by trash.

Well, Levi is fucking retard.ed for attaching Zeke to a LIVE FUCKING EXPLOSIVE. I mean, there's no fucking sense to it. Zeke is basically delirious at this point because Levi tortured the ever-living fuck out of him.

Untitled.png

If you look, Zeke is dead. He's blown the fuck in half after shifting multiple times. Levi looks like he escaped the brunt of the blast, since its basically on the right side, so Zeke got the worst and was insta-gibbed until he was blown into another dimension. Levi is alive because as you and others had said, Isayama can't kill Levi just yet, he's too popular. And with Ackerman abilities, he can regenerate or survive extraordinarily circumstances.

The reason why Levi was so fucking stupid is because of writer fiat. Isayama needed to remove his OP nature for the final fight so he couldn't take part in it. The same would go for Hange. They're both going to sit this one out. Levi is incapacitated at best, dead at worst. Isayama wrote himself into a corner with Levi. He's too strong and he's plot armored him too much, and most of the readers are there for him, Eren and Mikasa and possibly Reiner. The rest of the cast is basically fodder no one cares about, despite his best efforts to force people to care.

So this blast was to take Levi out of any possible fighting in order to avoid his super-Ackerman skills. And to troll the fanbase. I don't think he's dead since Hange rescued him, but Hange will probably try to heal Levi, which takes them both out of the final confrontations. Their stories are basically over, so he could have killed them, but he might want to at least give some happy endings.

The Titans are really just the Nephilim when you think about it.
Fun Biblical fact: The Nephilim are the spawn of greek and egyptian Gods that humans fucked. In the Bible, early on with the Nephilim, other Gods existed, the only God that mattered was the Abrahamic one. The people of Earth kept consorting with these other Gods and spawned the Nephilim, which lead to God ending the world because the Nephilim presented a danger to humanity.

I haven't read the manga nor watched the show in five years. Wasn't this supposed to be an action-horror show? How is it that out of ideas to where it's ripping off The Village?
To be fair, it really wasn't. The first third was actually really amazing. The problem is that Isayama got very bored and got ADHD and decided to include every little thing he saw that he thought was cool. Which has lead to Attack on Titan, the manga, bleeding fans like fucking crazy. The anime is going to be in the same predicament soon. It lost half its readership since it switched genres, the anime is probably going to do the same, especially since basically Season 4 is massive world building nobody gives a fuck about.

Tags
None