Attack on Titan Griefing Thread - >TFW WHEN GOD WATCHES YOU MAKE OUT WITH YOUR DEAD BROTHER'S SEVERED HEAD

How will Eren be stopped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
I stopped reading right after the Rumbling 2.0 which is what everyone seems to be upset over in anime form but I... can’t say I hate AoT? I just miss the feeling it had early on when the titans were still mysterious creatures. Having the big questions answered wasn’t what took away my passion for it though, it was when it began introducing even more characters I don’t want to like and all the 4D galaxy brain chess schemes. The cast was already so huge, then they wanted me to start caring about the new Marley trio, it felt so...bleh. If I finish the anime I’ll miss the WIT quality but getting so upset over drawings and the wrong music is just... it’s all so tiresome. I’ll probably take it for what it is and then quietly forget about it, ain’t that sad?

@stuffandthings I was going to read Vinland Saga, fucking what?

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
I stopped reading right after the Rumbling 2.0 which is what everyone seems to be upset over in anime form but I... can’t say I hate AoT? I just miss the feeling it had early on when the titans were still mysterious creatures. Having the big questions answered wasn’t what took away my passion for it though, it was when it began introducing even more characters I don’t want to like and all the 4D galaxy brain chess schemes. The cast was already so huge, then they wanted me to start caring about the new Marley trio, it felt so...bleh. If I finish the anime I’ll miss the WIT quality but getting so upset over drawings and the wrong music is just... it’s all so tiresome. I’ll probably take it for what it is and then quietly forget about it, ain’t that sad?

@stuffandthings I was going to read Vinland Saga, fucking what?
Sorry Broccoli Bro, not only does the manga decline in quality after the events depicted in the first season of the Anime (IMO), but by now Thorfinn is on a quest to create a peaceful Vinland hipster utopia complete with no weapons and a 7 foot tall trannie named Cordelia.

Sorry Broccoli Bro, not only does the manga decline in quality after the events depicted in the first season of the Anime (IMO), but by now Thorfinn is on a quest to create a peaceful Vinland hipster utopia complete with no weapons and a 7 foot tall trannie named Cordelia.
Your not even wrong and it fucking hurts. Though it does seem like his gay hipster commune is being setup to fail for the most obvious of reasons that every other character keeps pointing out to him as he ignores them and says "but peace tho". The destruction should be cathartic if nothing else.

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
True & Honest Fan
Okay, so in the newest episode Levi says that "he always knew Eren was always been a true monster", and that it "has nothing nothing to do with his Titan power".

I forget if he says this in the manga, but holy shit, if this is true than he's even stupider than I thought, because not only did he not tell the rest of SC up until now (I think), he and the rest of SC still treated Eren like shit regardless. Also, this makes the fact that he lost Eren multiple times even more inexcusable. He knew the danger. He knew what Eren was, and he still fucked up.

Anyone who says Levi is an intelligent character isn't actually paying attention to the entire story. This guy might be great in combat, but he is one of, if not the dumbest motherfucker in the entire series considering most of the problems in this series stem from him being a fucking idiot who refuses to learn.

Last edited:
Okay, so in the newest episode Levi says that "he always knew Eren was always been a true monster", and that it "has nothing nothing to do with his Titan power".

I forget if he says this in the manga, but holy shit, if this is true than he's even stupider than I thought, because not only did he not tell the rest of SC up until now (I think), he and the rest of SC still treated Eren like shit regardless. Also, this makes the fact that he lost Eren multiple time even more inexcusable. He knew it the danger. He knew what Eren was, and he still fucked up.

Anyone who says Levi is an intelligent character isn't actually paying attention to the entire story. This guy might be great in combat, but he is one of, if not the dumbest motherfucker in the entire series considering most of the problems in this series stem from him being a fucking idiot who refuses to learn.
It has always been shown that Levi doesn't particularly like Eren, but it always seemed to be due to the clash between Eren's naïve optimism and Levi's experienced cynicism. It was kind of tragic in a way because Eren idolized Levi and saw him as the best hope for the future of their people, while Levi couldn't give less of a fuck and found it irritating. The titan thing really didn't play much into it besides Levi kicking the shit out of Eren to ironically save his life.

It such a fucking shame that the writing has gotten THIS bad that I now have to go back and throw away what I initially thought were good writing choices as nothing more than accidents.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
What the fresh fuck.
I’m starting to think good (not even great) anime is often lightning in a bottle. It’s like there’s something about the format of serialised manga and long-running anime that curses most shows to end in shit after too long. I think it’s too many points of failure in the process if it’s not the creator having a mental problem.

A good meal is always served all at once, isn’t it? Sometimes it can be a deconstruction, a twist on a classic, or the classic but cooked to absolute perfection. But only the best of the best can consistently make those fancy, expensive meals with 11 tiny courses that are served to you over the course of a whole day. Maybe we just need a good book for once with a beginning and an end already instead of suffering all this serialised shit that ends up disappointing us so often.

What the fresh fuck.
I’m starting to think good (not even great) anime is often lightning in a bottle. It’s like there’s something about the format of serialised manga and long-running anime that curses most shows to end in shit after too long.
That is the problem, yes. Manga authors are under ridiculous time schedules and practically have no time to take even a single day off. In fact, authors are often forced to continue writing manga if it becomes popular even if it should have narratively concluded years ago, or the opposite problem where they lose popularity and are ended abruptly when there was more to tell. Only the most popular/prolific of series (hunterxhunter, Berserk, Jojo...I actually think that is all of them) can bargain for more reasonable time schedules, can actually end their series when they wish and have vacation time to recharge. Even that vacation time is usually only given due to severe health issues the authors incurred while working themselves to death over the last 2-4 decades.

In essence,
1. only the most gifted authors can write a coherent long form narrative under these conditions.
2. Popular series that should have come to a proper conclusion years ago are forced to keep going until they lose all public interest/they lose popularity temporarily and are forced to end it with no time to set up a proper conclusion.
and
3. manga authors typically only have a 1-3 assistants to help them (if they have any at all), its all they can really afford.

What the fresh fuck.
I’m starting to think good (not even great) anime is often lightning in a bottle. It’s like there’s something about the format of serialised manga and long-running anime that curses most shows to end in shit after too long. I think it’s too many points of failure in the process if it’s not the creator having a mental problem.

A good meal is always served all at once, isn’t it? Sometimes it can be a deconstruction, a twist on a classic, or the classic but cooked to absolute perfection. But only the best of the best can consistently make those fancy, expensive meals with 11 tiny courses that are served to you over the course of a whole day. Maybe we just need a good book for once with a beginning and an end already instead of suffering all this serialised shit that ends up disappointing us so often.
Serialized release has a lot of inherent problems, not the least of which is that in most cases, the author has no fucking clue how the story is supposed to end. Or, rather, they might have had an end goal in mind, but the story grows well beyond the initial scope and now they have to either railroad their way back to their original ending, or try and come up with something new on the spot. It takes a really good writer to be able to pull this off effectively, and most writers just aren't that good.
Another issue with long-running works is the author's vision changing, which can result in a lack of cohesion throughout the whole story. Either the story does a 180 in tone from light-hearted to edgy and serious, or like AOT the story focus shifts so much that it's practically a genre change. You also have the issue of poor overall pacing, with some arcs dragging on WAY too long without actually doing much.
Of course, there's also the issue of the story being dictated by out-of-universe events, such as an editor/publisher pressuring an author to continue a story past its due date, or

That's honestly why I tend to prefer watching original anime over adaptations, because those are stories specifically written to be told over 12 or 24 episodes that are generally more tightly planned than a manga whose story grows organically over the course of years, if not decades. Even if it ends up being a stinker, I won't have wasted that much time on it, and it's a lot easier discussing where it went wrong and what could be changed to improve it.

stuffandthings

Serialized release has a lot of inherent problems, not the least of which is that in most cases, the author has no fucking clue how the story is supposed to end. Or, rather, they might have had an end goal in mind, but the story grows well beyond the initial scope and now they have to either railroad their way back to their original ending, or try and come up with something new on the spot. It takes a really good writer to be able to pull this off effectively, and most writers just aren't that good.
Another issue with long-running works is the author's vision changing, which can result in a lack of cohesion throughout the whole story. Either the story does a 180 in tone from light-hearted to edgy and serious, or like AOT the story focus shifts so much that it's practically a genre change. You also have the issue of poor overall pacing, with some arcs dragging on WAY too long without actually doing much.
Of course, there's also the issue of the story being dictated by out-of-universe events, such as an editor/publisher pressuring an author to continue a story past its due date.
This is why, despite all it's flaws, I think AOT is going to hold up in the long run more than works that may have had a better high point. Yeah, we had a fourth season genre shift, but at least it felt like the author intended it from the get-go. There were some draggy arcs, but we didn't get Bleach levels of stagnation and repetition. It's not got 20 seasons of morphing goals until the whole thing is a Snowpiercer like filler train chugging on eternally with no destination, powered by the souls of cursed children and merchandizing.

34 Volumes of Manga, 70 some episodes of anime, plus a movie to end it. It's a time commitment sure but, practically terse when you compare it to the nightmarish bloat of some other shonen zombies.

When I first started consuming the show/manga I was worried it was going to be a crappy LOST situation, where the writer puts in titillating questions without even knowing the answer, but it feels like Yams knew what was in most of his Mystery Boxes when he introduced them. The story is a lot like his early art: weird, messy, effective, unique, frustrating, but deliberately crafted.

I reserve the right to rescind this in April if he completely GOTS8's the ending.

stuffandthings

It is has already been at that point for quite a few months though...why would you need to wait to be wrong?
Nah. Not at that point for me yet. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. So far, the ending has gone both how I expected and acceptably well, and is within sighting distance of sticking the landing. And I'll call it after it lands. I'll have plenty of time to shit on it for the rest of my life AFTER I see how it ends.

The Greeks had a great saying, "Call no man happy until he's dead." It's the reason that I usually don't get into a series, (Comic, Novels, or TV) now until it's already ended. AOT has been the one exception for the last several years. It's why I've been really happy that some of the last few Anime I've enjoyed had the Manga end before the Anime even began. It's also why I'll probably never bother to read Game of Thrones, or The Kingkiller Chronicles and why I couldn't get into shows where I knew from reputation the later seasons pissed around a lot. I put a lot of stock into the writer finishing a story with an ending they had planned from the beginning. And filling the walls with titans was a huge Chekov's gun that Yams took off the wall and fired.

It probably helps that I only got into it AFTER the Marley arc had started, and I knew it was headed there before I consumed the rest. So I came to it with no preconceived notions of what I wanted the story to become.

Look, if you guys hate it; you hate it. That's fine. You have your reasons. But some people prioritize different facets of storytelling. Don't think your opinion is the only common one just yet. We'll know by the summer if we've got a GOT, a Last Jedi, or a Return of the Jedi type reception. It'll be popcorn munching salty fun watching the fallout no matter what.

I'd never take a hatedom away from anyone. I've had more fun hating on Twilight than I've had blandly liking Marvel movies. But I'm not going to stop talking about what I like about the series/show either. It's a griefing thread, I wouldn't be much fun without people in here to grief, right?

Deadwaste

my password is ballsdeepnpussy69 honest
my only complaint with the anime, at least for the moment, is that the animation just feels off, like the entire thing was made with just cg. i mean, it kind of is, but mainly for the titan fights.

Effluvium

Pirate sites are your friend.
my only complaint with the anime, at least for the moment, is that the animation just feels off, like the entire thing was made with just cg. i mean, it kind of is, but mainly for the titan fights.
It's not like money is gonna rain from the sky.

WinchesterPremium

Molṑn lolí

It could be worse. It doesn't really look bad, and they at least try to keep some of the old style even if they have to cut out frames to get to it.

I like how half the survey corps gets wiped out by one machine gun nest.