Attempted Military Coup in Turkey Underway -

Who's the backers?

• Russia Tired of Erdogan's Shit

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • US Tired of Erdogan's Shit

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • ISIS taking advantag of people being tired of Erdogan's shit.

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Turkish Military Tired of Erdogan's shit acting without backing

Votes: 110 40.9%
  • Null did this.

Votes: 142 52.8%

• Total voters

Strelok

Perfectly Cromulent Poster
kiwifarms.net
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/turkey-low-flying-jets-and-gunfire-heard-in-ankara1/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ankara-turkey-gunshot-military-coup-1.3681441
http://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/turkey/1.731225

Turkish military is caliming they;'ve taken control while the official government denies the announcements.

Telegraph live feed said:
Yildirim says "it would be wrong to call it a coup" but that there has been an attempt by "part of the military".

He describes it as an "illegal attempt" to seize power.

Turkey would never allow any "initiative that would interrupt democracy", he said, and promised the perpetrators "will pay the highest price".
The Telegraph said:
Earlier, military jets were heard flying over the capital, Ankara.

Media reports said ambulances were seen in front of the Turkey's military headquarters.

Istanbul's Bosphorus Bridge and Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge were both closed on Friday, local television channels reported.
The Guardian said:
A witness in the country’s capital told Reuters that gunshots were heard as military jets and helicopters were seen flying overhead. Witnesses in Istanbul, Turkey’s biggest city, also spotted helicopters overhead, the agency reported.
Latest updates also claim that internet and communications have been shut down, but it's unclear as to weather the military or government was responsible.

Also, hilariously enough, not even 4 months ago the Turkish Military threatened legal sanctions against those spreading "false rumors" they were planning a coup.

Last edited:

Strelok

kiwifarms.net
I think Turkey may have just screwed it's chances of getting into the EU.
I'm curious though on how this will effect the stability of the region. I can imagine ISIS is going to try and take advantage of this.
Might argue the opposite, Erdogan being a dipshit constnatly was always the biggest stumbling block. The US, NATO, and presumably the EU always liked the military there far better than the government itself, because a combination of staunch secularization, and just the key strategic location of Turkey on the Bosporus (I cannot stress enough how strategically important that strait is).

As to the second point, tt won't effect the stability that much. "Turkish Military Overthrew The President" roughly translates in arbic to الجمعة, which I believe is also the same word as the english word "Friday".

It happened in 60, 71, 80, 93, 97 and now 16.

Last edited:

Cosmos

Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I had thought this may happen. Erdogan has long reigned it like a dictator and tried to make it an Islamic fundie country. The Military has long played a part in protecting secularism in Turkey.
That's interesting. Why is it that the military is so much more devoted to secularism than the actual government?

Strelok

kiwifarms.net
That's interesting. Why is it that the military is so much more devoted to secularism than the actual government?
It goes back to the Ataturk reforms following the collapse of the Ottoman Empire post WW1. It's actually a quite interesting read if you have the time. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk lead the Ottoman forces to victory against the Allies after forcibly breaking away from the Ottomans, and as such the military is more his than the government ever was, as to most people the idea of government was of the essentially divine mandate of the Sultans they had just overthrown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atatürk's_Reforms

I'll also link my current favorite mini-docu series, The Great War. They cover ww1 as it happened week by week, but also do biographies, and did one on him recently.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino