Culture Australian Man, 21, dies after drinking protein shake with '50 coffees worth' of caffeine - /fit/ 'unable to comment' on the matter

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Source.
A young man collapsed and died on New Year's Eve after accidentally drinking a protein shake with '50 coffees' worth' of caffeine.

In the early hours of New Year's Day last year Lachlan Foote returned to his home after a night out with friends and made himself a protein shake.

Minutes after kissing his mum goodnight he blacked out in the family's home in Blackheath in Australia.

He never regained conciousness.

The timing of Lachlan's death - the day after New Year's Eve and the day before his birthday - led many in the town to speculate that he had overdosed on recreational drugs.

833530

Lachlan Foote died after having a heaped spoon of caffeine powder before he went to bed.

In fact the 21-year-old had unknowingly ingested dangerous amounts of caffeine in his protein shake.

The one teaspoon he added to the mix was equivalent to as much as 50 cups of coffee.

“It turns out that Lachlan came home after celebrating New Year’s Eve with his friends and made a protein shake, innocently adding too much pure caffeine powder — a teaspoon is lethal,” his father Nigel told News.com.au.

Caffeine power is used by fitness enthusiasts as a diet supplement.

It is not clear where Lachlan acquired his supply, with a search of his computer and bank statements coming up blank.

833534

It is unclear where the Australian got the powder from

His dad believes an amount of the powder was given to his son by a friend of work colleague, meaning he was unlikely to have seen a warning label on the packet.

The fact Lachlan kept the powder in the pantry of his family's home led his dad to believe the 21-year-old was unaware it was potentially deadly - or else he wouldn't have kept it within reach of his parents.

On the night that he died he sent a message to his friends.

“I think my protein powder has gone off,” he wrote at 2.07am. “Anyway … night lads. Cya in the morning.”

833536

The 21-year-old told his friend's his protein shake tasted like it had gone off

Nigel added: “We found him, dead and cold on the bathroom floor (on) New Year’s Day, 2018 … the day before his 22nd birthday."

Rumours that Lachlan died of a drug overdose were quickly quashed by a pathologist who confirmed there were no illicit substances in his body.
Man, Aussies need to slow down for a bit.
 

SiccDicc

See you next fall...
kiwifarms.net
The one teaspoon he added to the mix was equivalent to as much as 50 cups of coffee.
So where the fuck did they get this powder? Some kind of Caffeine Dimension? Reading up on what the fuck this shit actually is gave me this amazing paragraph:
The serving size is 1/16 of a teaspoon, which requires mini-measuring spoons and a scale to measure. Simply mixing two regular spoonfuls of the powder into a drink is the same as drinking 70 Red Bulls at once, which could kill you. Some people use caffeine powder that comes in pre-measured capsules, each with 200 milligrams of caffeine.
And this shit apparently isn't regulated by the FDA as it's a dietary supplement. Yay.
 

EasyPeasy

Tommy Robinson MEP is innocent
kiwifarms.net
Wow, that's an insane amount of caffeine.

Interesting that this article is coming out in July when he died in January, does a toxicology report typically take that long?
Not sure how in works in Australia but here in the UK if their is a post mortem or any blood analysis work then that's up to 3 months wait after the inquest hearing then up to another 3 months until final verdict hearing of the cause. So 6 months seems about right.
 

break these cuffs

You must attack the word bastards
kiwifarms.net
It is not clear where Lachlan acquired his supply, with a search of his computer and bank statements coming up blank.

It is unclear where the Australian got the powder from
This is reading like it's some kind of illegal substance, but that isn't mentioned anywhere in the article. I can see Australia either going after the manufacturers or the person who gave it to him with criminal charges. At the very least a ban is coming.
His dad believes an amount of the powder was given to his son by a friend of work colleague, meaning he was unlikely to have seen a warning label on the packet.

The fact Lachlan kept the powder in the pantry of his family's home led his dad to believe the 21-year-old was unaware it was potentially deadly - or else he wouldn't have kept it within reach of his parents.
Are his parents babies who put everything they can get their hands on in their mouths? Once again, they're trying to make this seem dangerous and illegal.
 

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Powdered caffeine is insanely dangerous. A friend worked for an online vitamin company that sold this stuff by the pound with no kind of warning label whatsoever.. people who want to make their own fitness drinks can accidentally kill themselves because the serving size is smaller than any typical household measuring device, and you can buy a shit ton of it online for like $30.
 

BigRuler

lmao bottom text
kiwifarms.net
"The one teaspoon he added to the mix was equivalent to as much as 50 cups of coffee."
you're supposed to measure that shit in miligrams, not teaspoons. people shouldn't mess with things they don't understand.

Why do they even sell this shit if it can kill at such low doses?
because people generally aren't exceptional individuals.
plenty of readily available shit will kill you at low doses if you act exceptional about it, paracetamol for example will ruin your liver forever if you take too much at once.
 

Exigent Circumcisions

Why are these hands sprouting around me??
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why do they even sell this shit if it can kill at such low doses?
Because they assume people are going to educate themselves before taking any. Most people (@hemolyzer included, apparently) don't know much about safe dosages of drugs and assume that if you can get it in an energy drink then it's safe. Long term, caffeine is probably fine for you, but short term at high dosages it will kill you dead faster than most other stimulants.

No lie, if you put a gun to my head and told me I had to ingest a teaspoon of meth or a teaspoon of caffeine I wouldn't hesitate to do the meth. It would be a shitty three-day trip but at least I'd be reasonably sure I'd survive.
 
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino