Autism and Athiesm -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.
Status
Not open for further replies.

random_pickle

kiwifarms.net
I was hanging around the web when I stumbled upon this little gem of an article

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/al...head-.aspx?pageID=238&nID=45390&NewsCatID=341

Usually I wouldn't post something so stupid in the Chris section, but this quote caught my eye

“Autistic children do not know how to believe in God because they do not have a section for faith in their brains,” sociologist Fehmi Kaya reportedly said. “That is why they don’t know how to pray, how to believe in God. It is necessary to create awareness [or religion] in these children through methods of therapy.”

As stupid as this sounds, it reminded me so much of Chris. According to the quote, Chris doesn't know how to pray or how to believe in god, atleast not in the way they were thinking of. I think, regarding Chris, they might have hit the mark.

Thoughts?

Petrovski

kiwifarms.net
Well, he never really prays to GodJesus, rather he just demands things of GodJesus. He'll never learn how to pray because the most important part of prayer is to admit that you're a sinner and need forgiveness.

calicojack

"The Autist who Sold the World"
kiwifarms.net
If believing in Godbear isn't faith, I don't want to be Christian. Let Chris believe in what he wants, a person doesn't necessarily need to know how to pray to be fully invested in God.

Anchuent Christory

Socially Awesome and Cool.
kiwifarms.net
“That is why they don’t know how to pray, how to believe in God"

Surely religion is about faith as apposed to "knowing how to believe in god"?

It is an interesting subject to bring up, because I'm in the opposite camp as this person. Take Chris, with his autistic tendency to latch stubbornly onto concepts and ideas despite evidence to the contrary or it flying in the face of common sense, not to mention his desire for cure-all and miraculous solutions to all his problems makes his mind ideal for religious beliefs?

(edited due to slow-in-the-mind spelling)

Hyperion

D E A D
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Religion is rather abstract, and GodbearJesus isn't something that can be directly measured, unlike say trains or pokemans.

Autistics are notorious for not even understanding that the abstract is possible.

Henry Bemis

just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It doesn't help that his religious values were introduced to him through the filter of Bob 'n' Barb, who came from a time and place where church was more a means for fulfilling a social end than spiritual development.

CatParty

Boo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
he was taught by borb that going to church and believing in god will make him a "good boy" . by going to church he learned that god will answer prayers. to him, aside from making him look good by going to church, he thought god was his own wish granting genie and personal army.

Holdek

Down to where? All that is down is only my unclit.
kiwifarms.net
Chris' concept of God is probably on the more literal side and he probably believes that he physically exists, as opposed to those that think of God in an abstract way, like a Godhead, that inhabits a non-physical plane.

I think that Chris would have an easy time with biblical literalism, but probably would have a hard time grasping mythology serving as an analogical representation of a greater truth.

Or, in other words, "'I'm Jesus. 'Sup?'"

SchuComic10P09.jpg

Hyperion

D E A D
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Since Chris is so fond of drawing God in his "art" I wonder where he stands on the Iconoclastic Controversy of the 8th and 9th centuries?

Oh, right. (:_(

"Mmmmm.... yeah, I'll... hmmm... I agree with both... hmmmm..."

Kosher Dill

Pumpkin Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Chris did seem to be devout in his own way at one point. There are some early emails with his pastor where he seems genuinely distraught over the sinful nudes he did.
These days he's abandoned the house of God, but I doubt he's any sort of atheist. Removing God from his worldview would make no sense because he has no other understanding to fill the gaps with.
"Oh yeah? If there's no God, who keeps the sun rotating around the earth?"

Henry Bemis

just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Kosher Dill said:
These days he's abandoned the house of God, but I doubt he's any sort of atheist. Removing God from his worldview would make no sense because he has no other understanding to fill the gaps with.

The reason he'll never go full-tilt atheist is because to renounce God-even a malicious one-would be to renounce any hope of his final vindication against his tormentors. No God means no damning judgment upon the trolls while Chris strolls through the pearly gates with slutty angels making love to him twelve at a time.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
Henry Bemis said:
The reason he'll never go full-tilt atheist is because to renounce God-even a malicious one-would be to renounce any hope of his final vindication against his tormentors. No God means no damning judgment upon the trolls while Chris strolls through the pearly gates with slutty angels making love to him twelve at a time.
Heaven, or at least the version Chris inadvertently promised himself long ago, is basically the ultimate cwcville for Chris - even at his lowest point, he can still tell himself "well, at least when I die I'll have everything I want, even if I don't get any of it while I'm alive". Chris could never abandon this fantasy. Even if he thinks God turned into a troll, Chris expects that when he dies, God will leave Heaven so Chris can sit there in peace with no trolls in sight.

BlockyStyle

kiwifarms.net
Henry Bemis said:

I wonder does Chris actually take much comfort from the "fact" that the trolls are going to hell? I remember one time he said Clyde was destined for the underworld or something, but I'd expect Chris to bring it up more if he saw it as a final turn of the tables against the trolls.

For that matter, I wonder if Chris thinks much about going to heaven ("or possibly reincarnation"). For me at least, death is a bit scary and also feels like it's beyond my understanding, and even with the hope of heaven I can imagine a lot of people avoid thinking about it. Chris might be among them.

Still, I agree that there does have to be a heaven in Chris's world - for Patti.

snowkitten91

kiwifarms.net
Alec Benson Leary said:
Heaven, or at least the version Chris inadvertently promised himself long ago, is basically the ultimate cwcville for Chris - even at his lowest point, he can still tell himself "well, at least when I die I'll have everything I want, even if I don't get any of it while I'm alive". Chris could never abandon this fantasy. Even if he thinks God turned into a troll, Chris expects that when he dies, God will leave Heaven so Chris can sit there in peace with no trolls in sight.

Unfortunately for Chris, the TRUE and HONEST God doesn't take selfishness, self-entitlement and pride very lightly (cough cough *Satan* cough cough).

Heck, Chris Chan has even (quite accurately) already compared himself to the devil with his fallen angel lego figurine (even if that wasn't the idea that he was trying to convey with said figurine in the first place).

calicojack

"The Autist who Sold the World"
kiwifarms.net
snowkitten91 said:
Alec Benson Leary said:

Unfortunately for Chris, the TRUE and HONEST God doesn't take selfishness, self-entitlement and pride very lightly (cough cough *Satan* cough cough).

Heck, Our Pet Lolcow has even (quite accurately) already compared himself to the devil with his fallen angel lego figurine (even if that wasn't the idea that he was trying to convey with said figurine in the first place).

So your saying Chris should turn to Satanism? That actually sounds like something he might consider if someone told him about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.