Off-Topic Autistic Arts and Crafts Time - let's sperg

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
kiwifarms.net
Looks good - are you going to do darker lines for the divisions between the 'planks' (I don't think that word applies to something so small...)? Some tea/coffee staining might help make it look more varied in gradience but I don't want to risk messing it up with terrible advice.

Kurosaki Ichigo

an approaching murder
kiwifarms.net
Looks good - are you going to do darker lines for the divisions between the 'planks' (I don't think that word applies to something so small...)? Some tea/coffee staining might help make it look more varied in gradience but I don't want to risk messing it up with terrible advice.
Oh thats an idea. Not sure how well the foam would react with tea though. Plus I found that the grain effect works better when the yellow-brown paint is wet. Might go back and lightly tea stain the pants and long sleeve I used.

Kurosaki Ichigo

an approaching murder
kiwifarms.net
Yeah hit me with it

(I also have experience with hair ventilation so if you need anything to do with that lemme know)
What the fuck I didn’t see this till now.

Anyway. I’ve got a wig that I need to look windblown and piecy without losing the softness.

Edit: also if anyone here sews I minority fucked up on some gloves and I need a few pointers.

meepmapmop

some bitch
kiwifarms.net
I love sperging about crafts. Knitting is my thing. I’m working on a really complicated cabled cardigan at the moment that has a total of 6 different charts :lit: I can’t really share a photo here cause I don’t want to be identified, but if I ever do a project that I don’t post on social media, I’ll pop a photo here.

If anyone wants help with knitting, feel free to ask.

Country Matters

That's a fair thought to lie between maids' legs
kiwifarms.net
What the fuck I didn’t see this till now.

Anyway. I’ve got a wig that I need to look windblown and piecy without losing the softness.

Edit: also if anyone here sews I minority fucked up on some gloves and I need a few pointers.
Synthetic hair, right?

If that's the case, combine a couple of things: style lotion (I use Lotta Body, basically go into your store's 'Ethnic' section to get it), heat, and light hold hairspray.

This is an optional first step but I usually use it for synthetic: get a hand steamer. It'll help the hair lay flat and more manageable to work with. Just lightly hold over the hair and work through it (this is also extremely useful for setting a permanent part)

Coat your comb in lotion and brush through a section of hair, making sure it's thoroughly coated. Then, take a curling wand, heat on high, and wrap it around. You won't want it on for long, as you're not actually curling it, you're just melting the synthetic fibers a tad, which is how you style synthetic fibers. So, 30 seconds or less. Do this around the wig until finished, and spray light-hold hairspray to keep it in place without being too stiff. In general, you'll want your curl facing away from the face, as well

Also optional, but I prefer using dry shampoo to manage the 'shininess' of synthetic fiber. Give it a more natural look, unless you're going for a shiny effect, of course

As for:
View attachment 858076
Gloves are fucking hard, man.
It'll be an easy fix: just seam-rip in-between fingers and stitch the new outline, cutting excess fabric. Also: for curves, make little incisions to make a smoother curve. Here's the best reference pic I could find of what I'm talking about:
1564124039455.png

Gloves are hard, tho, and I'd recommend you find a pattern if you're willing to make it over. Here's a good pattern (this is the pattern of the first pair of gloves I ever successfully made, and I've been using it ever since). I'd also check out some more patterns on that site, the instructions are a bit wonk at times due to the translation but generally they're easy to follow.

snuffleupagus

kiwifarms.net
I love sperging about crafts. Knitting is my thing. I’m working on a really complicated cabled cardigan at the moment that has a total of 6 different charts :lit: I can’t really share a photo here cause I don’t want to be identified, but if I ever do a project that I don’t post on social media, I’ll pop a photo here.

If anyone wants help with knitting, feel free to ask.
I’m right there with you about posting photos of my crafts. I just pulled off a bitching family cosplay and I want to show off what I sewed up in two weeks but yeah not posting here. I also want to show off another cosplay that took me months of active sewing to complete, but I posted pics of that sumbitch on all of my social media platforms and I’d basically dox myself on here if I shared. It’s a bummer, I’m super proud of my work and want to share but I don’t want any of these fuckers to find out who I am.

FatFuckingClown

*pins you to the ground and force-feeds you crack*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Missed this so much!! I’ll throw in this!!! I love how I finally mixed the acrylic paints to look like the actual color of rock.

I’ve been on a “mystical” jewelry kick lately, and I’ve got my hands on a good sewing machine!! Expect more crafts from me soon, got a lot of projects coming up!
556B129F-937D-49B7-B686-D0DF8C8447DE.jpeg

Kurosaki Ichigo

an approaching murder
kiwifarms.net
Missed this so much!! I’ll throw in this!!! I love how I finally mixed the acrylic paints to look like the actual color of rock.

I’ve been on a “mystical” jewelry kick lately, and I’ve got my hands on a good sewing machine!! Expect more crafts from me soon, got a lot of projects coming up!
View attachment 955761
Hell yeah I love it.
Also using this tutorial.

• Informative
Reactions: Sneaky khajiit

Sneaky khajiit

lurk moar
kiwifarms.net
Have any of you tried to do the "disassemble and alter" type project with retail clothing? Did you find any particular pitfalls you wish you had known about beforehand?

I have a wool suit dress that I found on clearance that fits my hips perfectly, and while I can make the rest of it work with a belt, I think in the long run it would make more sense to try and disassemble and make the alterations I need (shorten the waistline, place a minor dart, etc). I read the shit out of the Refashionista blog back in the day, so it's obviously possible... and I know how to sew reasonably okay, including altering patterns in basic ways. Wool is reasonably forgiving for ripping out seams, so why is this intimidating me so much?? Maybe I just need to stop being a wimp about it; if I fuck up I'm out a trivial amount of cash and the lesson learned would probably be more valuable.

one_time_user

liar. obviously
kiwifarms.net
for something like that you may be better served by buying a bunch of basic garbage clothing (just random crap you don't care about) at a yard sale or whatnot and experimenting on those without fear.

Reactions: Sneaky khajiit

MerriedxReldnahc

The Autistic Rites of Dracula
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My Halloween costume is finished! The teen rec center I work at is having a party this week and I'm scheduled to work on Halloween so I needed to make something fuckin cool. What could be more cool than THE TOXIC AVENGER?!

So here's the mask I purchased from Spirit as the base for Toxie. I don't know how to really make a good mask base, my method is basically "put tinfoil on my face and layer paper mache on it" and I wanted something that covered a decent amount of my head.
20191010_133155.jpg
Paper mache time motherfuckers. The latex took the paper pretty well but the paper clay didn't stick well. I had only a little bit and it was really dried out, so to supplement that I tried to make newspaper pulp. Took paper from the shredder, added hot water, mashed it up, and let it sit overnight until it was something you could reasonably sculpt with. It wasn't sticky at all so I did need to slap some paper mache on top immediatly. This was all with lots of help from my friend Mod Podge.
You may notice the clip on the ear, I didn't like how much the ears stuck out so I used superglue to adhere them to the head more. The clip was to hold them in place duing the gluing.
20191020_174227.jpg
Slapped a sealing layer of the Podge on, added gesso ( which is like a primer for painting surfaces) and started painting.
20191022_110023.jpg
As you can see this is now very Toxi-riffic! I'll post a pic of the full costume if I can get one that renders me unreconizable enough.
20191023_121522.jpg

Shitty picture of it—I’m waiting for the frame to come in the mail before considering it totally finished, but, yeah. It turned out to be a ton of work for a gag gift so I hope the recipient thinks it’s as funny as I did before I started :)
View attachment 981947
I thought it was neat until I looked closer and now I think it's the best thing ever.

Kurosaki Ichigo

an approaching murder
kiwifarms.net
My Halloween costume is finished! The teen rec center I work at is having a party this week and I'm scheduled to work on Halloween so I needed to make something fuckin cool. What could be more cool than THE TOXIC AVENGER?!

So here's the mask I purchased from Spirit as the base for Toxie. I don't know how to really make a good mask base, my method is basically "put tinfoil on my face and layer paper mache on it" and I wanted something that covered a decent amount of my head.
View attachment 982782
Paper mache time motherfuckers. The latex took the paper pretty well but the paper clay didn't stick well. I had only a little bit and it was really dried out, so to supplement that I tried to make newspaper pulp. Took paper from the shredder, added hot water, mashed it up, and let it sit overnight until it was something you could reasonably sculpt with. It wasn't sticky at all so I did need to slap some paper mache on top immediatly. This was all with lots of help from my friend Mod Podge.
You may notice the clip on the ear, I didn't like how much the ears stuck out so I used superglue to adhere them to the head more. The clip was to hold them in place duing the gluing.
View attachment 982783
Slapped a sealing layer of the Podge on, added gesso ( which is like a primer for painting surfaces) and started painting.
View attachment 982785
As you can see this is now very Toxi-riffic! I'll post a pic of the full costume if I can get one that renders me unreconizable enough.
View attachment 982786

I thought it was neat until I looked closer and now I think it's the best thing ever.
Im utterly jealous of your skills with paper mache tbh.

• Feels
Reactions: MerriedxReldnahc

MerriedxReldnahc

The Autistic Rites of Dracula
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Im utterly jealous of your skills with paper mache tbh.
Thank you! I think the only real difficult aspect of paper mache compered to any other kind of sculpting is patience and getting the materials to cooperate with you. I kept all my college math textbooks because I found out that they work better than newspaper for me. And then Mod Podge is great, I feel like it has more "hold" than regular white glue.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino