• "SPREAD THE FACT"

Off-Topic Autistic Arts and Crafts Time.let's sperg

Discussion in 'Beauty Parlour' started by entropyseekswork, Jan 11, 2017.

Forum Guidelines

The Beauty Parlour is for women or not-women in the sphere of cosplay and the beauty industry that is not strictly limited to lolcows.

• No thirst. No one cares if you want to have sex with someone. Reporting thirst posts to mods is encouraged.
  • Be civil. Don't get angry over Lolcows. If you need to tell people you're better than someone, you're probably not.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, embarrassing details about yourself. We are not an asylum.
  • No trolling plans. We are not an autistic Illuminati. If you make us cringe while trying to troll, we will ridicule you.
  1. I found a huge chunck of obsidian a few years back. I've been slowly practicing my knapping skills on it. Its cut through leather like butter, even my amature attempts.

• Like Like x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  2. I do a lot of sewing. Mostly costume stuff, and always on a very tight budget: I don't have a dressform or a sewing machine, so most of my work is done by hand on the living room floor while watching DVDs. Still, it's tons of fun, especially when you can whip up a new costume piece for an event just out of stuff you have in your scrap bag.

I don't know if that counts as autistic enough, but I do it for LARP, so hopefully it's allowed here. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
    Slowboat to China

Slowboat to China That would be an ecumenical matter.

kiwifarms.net
  3. As someone with an autistic hobby,(cosplay) I'd love to see your work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Kurosaki Ichigo

Kurosaki Ichigo distributor of bleach

kiwifarms.net
  4. I want to see it too! (historical re-enactor)

• Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  5. Seconded (or thirded) (Civil War/Old West re-enactor/world-class steampunk sperg)

Also, can we share stuff that's in the planning stages? Because most of my arts-'n-crafts type shit lives a perpetual tortured existence in that category.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Another Fellow

Another Fellow May or may not come back for realz

kiwifarms.net
  6. Uh ... Now I feel guilty of false advertising. :< I'm not sure I can share any photos, because I also have them online with my LARP group and I don't want to risk an accidental powerlevel. And I'm entirely self-taught, so ... yeah.

I can tell you, though, that I just put together a very rough tunic. No lining or anything. But I accidentally found a new trick while I was doing it. I didn't have any chalk, so I marked out the pattern pieces with shitty white eyeliner pencil. Running the thread through those residual marks later sort of greased it, so the thread actually tangled a lot less than usual.

Actually, since it looks like there's a surprising number of fellow costume spergs here, I'd love to know if you guys have any easy tricks or tips you can share.

• Like Like x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Slowboat to China

kiwifarms.net
  7. Oh, damn. Unfortunately, I guess it'd be pretty tough for anyone to share their autistic fruits of labor without majorly powerleveling (I record my progress on social media).

I guess I can share this?

This guy is amazing at anything armor-related.

Kurosaki Ichigo

kiwifarms.net
  8. I'm actually (slight powerlevel maybe) going to school to study costume-making. I have some slight tips, but nothing major?

For dress form, I would advise against making a duct-tape dress form, unless you won't be using it for long. I would advise grabbing a buddy and following this (this is the best tutorial I've seen so far): https://sewnotwork.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/do-it-yourself-custom-dress-form/
    If plaster is unavailable, you CAN do duct-tape, but you might have to re-do it in time.

As for things you'll want to stock up on, tailor's chalk is fucking nice, but you can also do it the ghetto way I did when I first started sewing and take children's chalkboard chalk in various colors and sharpen it to a point if tailor's chalk is unavailable or too expensive. I would also recommend water-soluble marker it you intend to do embroidery, or air-soluble if you plan to do it in a timely manner (just make sure the water-soluble marker washes out on your fabric first- it might not, and that would absolutely ruin some intricate work you might do).

As for embroidery, it might seem intimidating, but it's a lot easier than it seems. Just trace an outline onto your fabric, and do some basic stitching I'll link this guide on some basic embroidery stitches. All you'll need is an embroidery needle, embroidery floss, and a little tool to get the floss in the eye (which is more difficult than it sounds). You might be tempted to use just regular sewing thread, but trust me it does not look good. Embroidery floss is actually fairly inexpensive itself, so don't worry about the cost too much.
    You can also make an embroidery pattern on your computer, and print it out. Tracing it on tracing paper, and I believe trace that in water-soluble marker or something, and iron it onto your fabric. So you won't have to rely on artistic skills to get your outline.

Wigs are another matter entirely, and I can sperg about that if anyone wants (I'm studying specifically to make and style theatric wigs so I got u boo)

• Informative Informative x 3
    Country Matters

Country Matters That's a fair thought to lie between maids' legs

kiwifarms.net
  9. Oooh, I've done embroidery! I actually stitched a complex Aboriginal-inspired design right onto some faux leather, and it turned out pretty darn nice. (Wish I could share. :()

Thanks for the dressform tutorial link, @Country Matters . I really want to do that now, when I have a little more money and time.

@Kurosaki Ichigo , that video makes me drool. Faux metal paint jobs are so much fun!

• Like Like x 1
    Slowboat to China

kiwifarms.net
  10. @Slowboat to China Everything he makes is beautiful. I wish I had the time/energy/motivation to do half the things he makes. But for now I'm trying to motivate myself to make the finishing touches on a creature costume I started back in September.

Kurosaki Ichigo

kiwifarms.net
  11. Not as autistic as Chris-Chan's pixellated creations but still pretty fucking autistic is my Perler ability.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    PolexiaAphrodisia

PolexiaAphrodisia My aura is purple

kiwifarms.net
  12. Same feel, except I still currently do it for side money. Get a lot of moms sending me pictures of their daughter's scribbled out characters to turn into plushies, but it's super endearing to me.

Josuke

Josuke 「 CRAZY DIAMOND 」

kiwifarms.net
  13. playtelescope.jpg

Its a play telescope.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Goochole

Goochole MY MOTHER AND FATHER ARE VERY ANGRY AT ME!!!!

kiwifarms.net
  14. I wanted to learn how to crochet for shits n giggles and I was wondering if anyone knew any good videos for teaching the absolute basics

Also crocheted shit sells for mad dollas these days

Bugaboo

Bugaboo I have to kill fast and bullets too slow

kiwifarms.net
  15. Crocheting is way easier than knitting imo, so nice choice. It's all about getting into the groove of a repetitive motion and counting. No, seriously, that's all that's needed for crochet.

But there's a huge learning curve. It's easy to crochet, but it's hard to get good at crocheting, as in making the cool shit that people want to buy (though I guess scarves and hats are always popular...). You can get the most basic of tools at Wal-Mart or something, including some kits that contain a book, DVD, and a few different sizes of crochet needles, which makes a nice dabble-size starter pack. The same section should also have little $5 booklets that give the patterns to various things you can make, which may be nice for advanced practice and ideas. Start with basic yarn, novelty materials like lace require either experience to handle without tearing, and things like thick yarn need special needle sizes. Basic is best 99% of the time.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    [Insert Meme Here]

[Insert Meme Here] Bonjour--I mean, Buenos Diás!

kiwifarms.net
  16. I went over to my friend's place today and she's in the middle of crocheting a blanket made up of circles, and she offered to teach me so we spent a couple of hours together teaching me to crochet. I was just getting the hang of adding in new loops and flattening out the circle when the yarn ran out. I bought a hook on the way home and managed to lose it so I can't practice while it's still fresh in my mind so I'll probably forget and need her to teach me all over again.

Here is my babby's first crochet. She did the very center part to get me started, which is why it looks good.
    It's a link because attachments aren't working for me and whenever I try to embed it I just get a broken image.

http://tinypic.com/r/aa8akp/9

I'll attach it once attachments work.

@Bugaboo :

This might just be me but when I was learning I found it much easier to just pick up the hook and yarn and have my friend tell me what to do rather than just watching her do it. Might just be how I learn, though. If you're watching the video it might help to slow it way down and do the hand motions along with the video, rather than just watching and then trying to replicate it. My friend broke it down well and did it slowly but it was still easier to learn by doing rather than watching.
    She also gave me the advice of using chunky wool and a thick (preferably wooden) hook, a 9 or a 10. Also, using yarn with two colours can help you find loops that might blend in if the yarn is a uniform colour.

• Like Like x 1
    For The Internet

For The Internet Tits and ALL
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  17. I found that video and it seems helpful, the only issue is I found a suitable crochet hook in my house but we're fresh out of wool so I gotta go to Walmart and grab some

I usually learn best by watching people do things so I think a video would be most helpful for me. The dual colored yarn sounds like an excellent idea tho

Bugaboo

Bugaboo I have to kill fast and bullets too slow

kiwifarms.net
  18. I have only really been sewing plushies for year and ngl when I started using fleece my plushies looked a lot better. :lol:

For anyone who does sew here are some of my favorite free patterns, these are all sort of intermediate: Semi-realistic koi, this site has quite a few free projects, Stubby Crocodile (Page is in Spanish and the pattern is Chinese but it's not hard to figure out.) , make your fursona/teddy of any animal.

I thought this was a sewing tutorial for a fat dragon but it's actually crochet! So if you like fat dopey looking dragons here you go. (it's row by row too)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  19. Ugh, this so much! I tried to crochet but I eventually gave up because it was all uneven and lumpy. I do knitting now, which I find easier to make straight, but it's harder to make cuter things, like little amigurumi, so I'm probably gonna go back to crochet eventually (though I do love me some knitting- very relaxing)

I learned from the Lion Brand Yarn site, if anyone's interested- http://www.lionbrand.com/learn/how-to-knit

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Country Matters

Country Matters That's a fair thought to lie between maids' legs

kiwifarms.net
    • Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

Founded as the CWCki Forums, and originally dedicated to Christian Weston Chandler, the Kiwi Farms is about eccentrics on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are fascinating for reasons distinct to each spectator. We document the phenomenon, with every member bringing different perspectives and opinions to discussion. It is this diversity which has caused our peculiar community to thrive.

• Affiliates

• Power our Autism

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.