Avengers: Endgame - This is the end, beautiful friend

CruzMissile

kiwifarms.net
another example that was jarring is going from Civil War where Pepper having left Tony "for realsies this time" is played up for maximum drama, only for her to have apparently accepted a proposal from him the very next film and then becoming his fiance in IW like the whole Civil War thing never happened.
It doesn't stop it from being jarring, but iirc the reason why that happened was because Pepper's actress wanted out of the MCU, and was seemingly not interested in returning. Then out of nowhere she was fine with coming back for a few more movies.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
It doesn't stop it from being jarring, but iirc the reason why that happened was because Pepper's actress wanted out of the MCU, and was seemingly not interested in returning. Then out of nowhere she was fine with coming back for a few more movies.
If this is true, I bet they convinced her to stay throughout Endgame by promising that she'd become Rescue. Not even a snob like Gwyneth Paltrow could resist wearing her own cool armor. lol.

Regardless of what happened, and also regardless of how I feel about Paltrow as a person (I think she's a dipshit IRL), I think she did an amazing job as Pepper altogether, and especially during Tony's death scene. The "We'll be okay; you can rest now" line is perfect, and was delivered perfectly. So bittersweet ...

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The problem with Pepper was that she was one of those characters that the script would flip-flop on whenever the plot demanded it. switching between being supportive of Tony/Iron Man but having legitimate concerns about his safety, to acting like the Iron Man suits are model train sets Tony's way too invested in. Iron Man 3 is probably the worst of it, though another example that was jarring is going from Civil War where Pepper having left Tony "for realsies this time" is played up for maximum drama, only for her to have apparently accepted a proposal from him the very next film and then becoming his fiance in IW like the whole Civil War thing never happened.

Besides Nebula's best girl.
The fiancé thing happened at the end of Homecoming, didn’t it? Tony offered to let Peter be an Avenger, Peter decided he wasn’t quite ready yet, then Peter assumes it was just a test and Tony goes “oh yeah, totally”, and then right after Peter leaves, Pepper comes out and asks where he went since there’s a ton of reports and whatnot waiting for an announcement, so Tony digs the ring out of his pocket and goes “okay, guess I’m doing this earlier than expected” or something to that effect.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
If this is true, I bet they convinced her to stay throughout Endgame by promising that she'd become Rescue. Not even a snob like Gwyneth Paltrow could resist wearing her own cool armor. lol.

Regardless of what happened, and also regardless of how I feel about Paltrow as a person (I think she's a dipshit IRL), I think she did an amazing job as Pepper altogether, and especially during Tony's death scene. The "We'll be okay; you can rest now" line is perfect, and was delivered perfectly. So bittersweet ...
I think she probably did the best in that scene honestly.
Tom Holland failed to convince me he was devastated, when he did fine being scared of dusting off in IW. I was hoping for more of a Saving Private Ryan dynamic where his regret is emphasised in the closing scene, like it had a tangible impact, but I didn't get any such impression when he was just back in high school.

I laughed a bit that people cried because of the film personally. Don't get me wrong - I liked it and am making the rare exception of buying it when it comes out - but for me it had the emotional resonance of Beavis and Butthead rediscovering their old TV. At the very least they saved their jokes until after the quiet moment had thoroughly passed, unlike Ragnarok right after the destruction of Alderaa-I mean, Asgard.

Also forgot to mention
my favorite comedic moment was when Star-Lord 2 got clubbed by War Machine.

• Agree
Reactions: Violence Jack

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tom Holland failed to convince me he was devastated, when he did fine being scared of dusting off in IW. I was hoping for more of a Saving Private Ryan dynamic where his regret is emphasised in the closing scene, like it had a tangible impact, but I didn't get any such impression when he was just back in high school.
Pretty sure that’s the entire theme of the next Spider-Man , going off the trailer.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure that’s the entire theme of the next Spider-Man , going off the trailer.
In my case, I won't be seeing it since this was my exit. I just figured if that were the case, it would make more sense to finish the movie on that same tone to carry over.

But hey, maybe it's like Stark's anxiety where it won't manifest until later.

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In my case, I won't be seeing it since this was my exit. I just figured if that were the case, it would make more sense to finish the movie on that same tone to carry over.

But hey, maybe it's like Stark's anxiety where it won't manifest until later.
I’m sticking in for at least the next Spider-Man and GotG3. Probably out after that unless something catches my interest

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I’m sticking in for at least the next Spider-Man and GotG3. Probably out after that unless something catches my interest
After Homecoming, only way you could get me back on Spider-Man would be if Parker grew up and stopped being a perpetual teenager. Which I already know is an impossibility, but it's still disappointing.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinkshamer

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Nice! Very classy.

While I was never really a fan of Titanic (not a hater of it either), I completely see why it's such a big, iconic movie that people still talk about today. It's a really big deal that Endgame outgrossed it.

Avatar, on the other hand, though ... I don't get it. And people who went to see it 10 years ago for the 3D spectacle don't even remember it. lol.

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
Avatar, on the other hand, though ... I don't get it. And people who went to see it 10 years ago for the 3D spectacle don't even remember it. lol.
A sixty year old woman I work with was talking about Avatar one day (I don't even recall how it came up in conversation) and she was losing her mind remembering the 3D effects at an IMAX screening. Somebody on a website I can't recall likened it to the World's Fair a hundred years ago, where people were piling in to see "The future! Today!" and not because it was necessarily a compelling narrative. Having never seen it in theaters I couldn't vouch for how impressive they were back then, but she was flipping her shit over them well over a decade later, so I imagine they were impressive at the time.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
In a far better alternate timeline, James Cameron's top grossing movies are Aliens and Terminator 2: Judgement Day ... There, I said it.

After Homecoming, only way you could get me back on Spider-Man would be if Parker grew up and stopped being a perpetual teenager. Which I already know is an impossibility, but it's still disappointing.
You know, at first I was excited about MCU Spider-Man (mostly because that meant those god awful Andrew Garfield movies were officially DEAD) ... Then I became skeptical because they were going to make him a highschooler again. For me, personally, the MCU has proven my doubts wrong thus far. Having Peter start as a teenager creates variety in the big cast of MCU characters, and the MCU actually has done stuff to their advantage by making Peter a teenager (example: His dynamic with Tony Stark).

I'm also getting comic book vibes because Spider-Man starts to become an elite fighter due to his experiences working with the older superheroes. His fighting style is very unique in the comic books because of that. I hope that in the new Spider-Man movie, we get to see Spidey actually kick some serious ass without help, showcasing that he's more experienced as a fighter now.

I say that as long as the MCU allows Peter to actually grow up, then starting him off as a teenager was a great decision.

A huge problem with the Spider-Man comics since "Brand New Day" (back in 2006-2007) is that Marvel has essentially told their older fans to fuck off. They've made Spider-Man a hero that appeals to only little kids. They keep putting him in high school over and over and over again, and its obnoxious. I was a kid when I was reading the Todd MacFarlane Spider-Man books; never once did I think, "Man, it sure would be nice if they made Spider-Man a kid again!" Marvel Comics just refuses to let Spider-Man be ... A Spider-MAN. And as a result, the character has stagnated in the worst possible ways ... Which is a big problem.

Into the Spider-Verse, to me, felt like a commentary about how modern day Spider-Man writers refuse to let Peter grow up. Peter B. Parker is a middle aged divorcee who clearly peaked in high school in this movie, and it's frickin' brilliant. Peter's character arc in that film is amazing because it was about him accepting adulthood and new responsibilities instead of being scared of them. I really do feel like Lord & Miller took a long look at the Spider-Man comics over the past decade, and said, "Um. Guys? You're doing it wrong!"

Last edited:

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
^You sorta see that and wonder how much of the decision of making Peter a perpetual teen in most adaptations is decision of Marvel or Disney desperate to grab the little kid market.

Either way it's good to see more and more people are disliking the Amazing films and seeing them for what they are: unnecessary. For years they were beloved, but in the long run I feel they have further complicated a lot of Spiderman ideas for movies. A lot of decisions for Spiderman in the MCU I feel are decisions made to contrast against the against what was presented in the Amazing movies. I can live without Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy if that means the MCU could've had a great Norman Osborn, Green Goblins, Mary Jane, Doc Oc, Uncle Ben being mentioned, etc etc.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
^You sorta see that and wonder how much of the decision of making Peter a perpetual teen in most adaptations is decision of Marvel or Disney desperate to grab the little kid market.

Either way it's good to see more and more people are disliking the Amazing films and seeing them for what they are: unnecessary. For years they were beloved, but in the long run I feel they have further complicated a lot of Spiderman ideas for movies. A lot of decisions for Spiderman in the MCU I feel are decisions made to contrast against the against what was presented in the Amazing movies. I can live without Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy if that means the MCU could've had a great Norman Osborn, Green Goblins, Mary Jane, Doc Oc, Uncle Ben being mentioned, etc etc.
Oh god. The years The Amazing Spider-Man movies came out, I felt like I was of the very few people calling them dogshit. Everyone got on my case for hating them.

Now people love to hate on them. Better late than never; those movies deserve the hate they get.

• Feels
Reactions: toilet_rainbow

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Hold up, people actually LIKED those movies?
When the first one came out, yes, the overall reaction was positive (sadly). People started to turn on them when The Amazing Spider-Man 2 turned out being a disaster, and by the time MCU Spidey was announced, the general consensus fully transformed into those movies being garbage. Which ... They are.

But man, 2012 was a HARD time to be a Spider-Man fan. I can't tell you how many lectures I heard about how Andrew Garfield was "the best Spider-Man ever." No. Just ... No. He is by far the worst. He is a stunning failure as Peter Parker, and I also think he sucked as Spider-Man. Being "more quippy" doesn't make a good Spider-Man ... Especially when the quips were either very mean-spirited and/or woefully unfunny and cringeworthy.

Remember when Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man decided to quip a bunch at Paul Giamatti while NYC citizens and cops were getting mowed down by machine guns and a big truck full of plutonium? "bUt He Is ThE bEsT sPiDeR-mAn EvEr BeCaUsE hE qUiPs MoRe," said some fans.

You know, maybe I'm a bit more lenient on the MCU Spidey partly because I don't have to look at Andrew Garfield's fucking stupid face ever again as Spidey. Spider-Man: Homecoming is a godsend compared to what Sony shat out five years prior.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino