Avenue Q, South Park and the long tail of ironic bigotry - "Jokes and optimism are oppression, REEEEE!!"

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am irrationally angry that some faggot Vox writer has decided to whine about Avenue Q. I fucking love Avenue Q.

“Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist” is part of the last gasp of a particularly pernicious cultural narrative from the 1990s: Caring about how you or others feel isn’t cool. What’s really cool is being above it all and not making a fuss.

Except it isn't about being above other people's feelings at all. Multiple times in the song characters are confronted with outdated terminology or views and correct them. The BEGINNING OF THE SONG has the main protagonist ask if his crush is related to some other guy because they're both "Monsters" (Sesame Street puppets, the musical takes the aesthetics of Sesame Street and applies it to being a broke adult in New York), to which she says no that's racist and he apologizes. Then later on, a white guy calls his Japanese wife Oriental, and both his wife and the other characters are like "bro just say Asian-American". One of the lines in the song is "admitting it is not an easy thing to do". It is literally addressing the fact that everyone holds certain bigotries due to lived experiences and this fucking faggot is ignoring the text of the song to whine about Trump.

This writer is a fucking short bus rider.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
If you read the lyrics on Genius, you’ll see the annotations are filled with people arguing about the “true” interpretation of the song. Does “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist” mean to tell us that we should stop caring about microaggressions and other racist statements and actions that don’t rise to the level of hate crimes? Or is it creating a rich and layered satire of anti-PC comedy by turning the idea that “everything’s a little bit racist” into a literal children’s song? Children’s songs almost always present overly simplistic morals, and many of the other songs in Avenue Q present overly simplistic morals, too. “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist” might be doing just that.
Jesus christ, how can someone write an esaay with thousands of word, although one that near ineligible, and fail in understanding a completely obvious name for a song?

Anyways this whole thing is ironic considering South Park didn't only treat modern PC with kids gloves but even went against its own messages to be accepted, but you can't appease these people.

The idea you have to care about everything is childish. Growing up means accepting that sone parts of society is set in stone and focusing on your own troubles. Only children think that their bitching will change the world.

Safir

目が覚めて落ちぶれろ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The humanity of an imaginary white Mormon who will probably never see The Book of Mormon is easier for many white Americans to conceive of than the humanity of a black theatergoer sitting one row ahead of you and not laughing at the jokes about Ugandans. A white theatergoer might simply conclude that the person in the next row should just lighten up already!
Exactly. The article already established that theatergoers are massively privileged and should lighten the fuck up. This goes for darkies, too.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What show have you been watching recently?
South Park caters to pussy liberals last time I watched it.

I admit to not watching the show for years.

But I do know they've tackled stuff like trans athletes that has gotten them flak, I've also seen many a liberal want to blame the show for why so many are against political correctness, I've literally had someone ask me "how much South Park did you watch growing up?"

This writer is a fucking short bus rider.

I'm telling ya though, there's a time in which they put out good content, it's eerie how they're literally not like the same person anymore, modern left wing culture has genuinely made people stupider.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Anyone who uses the word "privilege" unironically has got an oxygen mask hooked up directly to his own asshole so he can savor the smell of his own emanations. He's also ignorant of history, as Nature and Reality don't give a shit about nebulous notions of Liberal fairness and will grant victory to the strong, swift, clever and well-connected.

Golly

[warbles internally]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy shit this gets my theater autism a-rumbling. I am mad on the internet. Avenue Q and South Park get equal time in this "essay", but the most egregious offenses are in reference to Book of Mormon, and that's where I'm going to be focusing my arguments as I'm not getting paid like Emily unfortunately is.

[L]et’s look to Helen Shaw’s apt description of the problem in an excellent essay at Vulture about how The Book of Mormon already feels like it’s from another time:

The sequences in Uganda are grimly unfunny, especially as black actors are forced to sell jokes about curing AIDS by sodomizing babies. The romantic interest Nabulungi (Kim Exum) is the brightest girl in the village, and she thinks that “texting” means typing on a broken typewriter. That’s not a joke about poverty or disenfranchisement.

As Elder Cunningham from Book of Mormon would put it: YES. YES IT IS.

That’s a joke about an African woman being an idiot.

With that, Helen Shaw has just disqualified herself from being seen as any kind of prominent liberal mind in regards to musical theater. Book of Mormon takes great pains to paint each culture as woefully ignorant of the other. The Ugandans have no frame of reference for Mormonism (or even a need for it), and the sheltered Mormon missionaries have no frame of reference for the suffering of the tribe of Ugandans they're tasked with converting. The fact that these cultures could ever be merged is posed as an impossibility and that, my friends, is the joke.

VanDerWerff adds that Book of Mormon treats its Mormon characters "lovingly" to contrast with its Ugandan characters. The entire show is designed to mock the entirety of Mormon culture.

The finale of "I Believe", jokes in "Two By Two" , "All American Prophet", and even "I Am Africa" towards the end of the show all indicate the idiocy of the Mormons, how terrible they are at understanding the plight of Uganda, and their inability to understand what their roles should be within that context. Incidentally, (spoilers for a 10 year old show with a pretty clear cut cast recording) the only reason mormonism is adopted by the tribe is that the only way for it to be the slightest bit compatible with the Ugandans as a way to cope with their suffering, is for it to be twisted comically beyond recognition. The main Mormon, Elder Price is constantly shown to be up his own asshole, and the unlikely "hero", Elder Cunningham only spearheads the ridiculous solution to the show's conflict because he is outright lying, which is shown as a terrible thing ("You're Making Things Up Again, Arnold").

The joke is that the Mormons do not fit into any remotely helpful solution to Ugandan culture as understood in the show. That is the central conceit of the show. "Don't you love farce" motherfuckers? This show is a farce.

Helen Shaw, brilliant critical mind that she is, gets "African women are stupid". That is the most racist "analysis" I have ever heard of BoM in my time as a theater dork.

The humanity of an imaginary white Mormon who will probably never see The Book of Mormon is easier for many white Americans to conceive of than ...

Than what? An impoverished Ugandan who will definitely see this show? Are tickets to see Book of Mormon part of relief packages now?

... the humanity of a black theatergoer sitting one row ahead of you ...

Are black theatergoers, likely from western backgrounds and in an affluent enough position to be at the theater, a point previously made in Emily's "For Now" analysis, indistinguishable from members of a destitute tribe in Uganda to Emily VanDerWerff?

I could do a point by point take down of this waste of pixels that isn't even worth the time and ink to print and use in lieu of toilet paper, but these are paid critics well into adulthood who cannot tackle a basic understanding of low-to-midbrow-at-best theater, and that upsets me. This isn't Brecht. This isn't Beckett. This isn't even Sondheim. This is low level work that only requires a base understanding of genre conventions (ie: farcical comedy) to fully grasp. "To Kill A Mockingbird", this is not. Minstrel show, this is not.

Let's just look at these shining examples of social justice for the theater shall we?

Helen Shaw
helenshaw.png

White.

Emily VanDerWerff
emily-vanderwerff-color.jpg

White.

Now I ask you, what are these white people doing making assumptions for the black community? Especially now, Emily, when the general consensus among white liberals is to "shut up and let black voices be heard"? This essay is unhelpful at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

War Internet Criminal

Making America Greater Again, One Lift at the Time
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It’s really funny how South Park went from pissing off pearl clutching conservatives in the 1990s to pissing off pearl clutching liberals in the present day, really funny.
What show have you been watching recently?
South Park caters to pussy liberals last time I watched it.
I admit to not watching the show for years.

But I do know they've tackled stuff like trans athletes that has gotten them flak, I've also seen many a liberal want to blame the show for why so many are against political correctness, I've literally had someone ask me "how much South Park did you watch growing up?"
South Park usually makes fun of both sides (at least back then). A good example of a South Park episode where they made fun of both sides and even sided with both of them for particular reasons would be "Naughty Ninjas" where they made fun of both sides regarding police brutality, where they made fun of police incompetence as well as people's dumb reactions to said police incompetence. Right now, modern South Park still makes fun of pussy liberals (e.g. the aforementioned trans athlete episode), but there are times where they cater to pussy liberals, not in terms of "they made fun of both sides and sided with pussy liberals for this reason and also sided with conservatives for this reason" like what they always did, but rather completely catering to pussy liberals sometimes.

The most notable example for some would be the South Park creators decide to reverse their decision about Al Gore and made fun of Americans for putting the blame on China for global warming, but for me the "Splatty Tomato" episode (which for me, was when South Park jumped the shark and the main reason isn't because of political leanings but rather, the abysmal writing and unfunny repetitive jokes etc.) was also a notable example. (Blaming Trump's victory on "The Whites" and nobody cares about "The Whites"... how subtle.)

It's shit like this is also why you get shitty articles like these:

1591526727808.png

1591526746056.png

Last edited:

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Now I ask you, what are these white people doing making assumptions for the black community? Especially now, Emily, when the general consensus among white liberals is to "shut up and let black voices be heard"? This essay is unhelpful at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.
Making assumptions for the black community is the entire point of the protests. Blacks are nothing but expendable ammuniton to let the liberal whites to solidify their ideology. The idea is that everyone, especially black people that aren't dependent on social benefits and so are prone to wrongthink, should just listen to their betters. Including supporting a presidential candidate with very problematic quotes after very divisive primaries.
If the protests can exacerbate the health and economic crisis it's only a plus for them.

-4ZURE-

-Terminated-
kiwifarms.net
X television show doesn't agree with my politics. Therefore it's bad.

Reminds me of the religious right and their battle with various media, back in the day.
My question is, what is there to disagree with? South Park‘s subjects are, or at least should, be political points everyone would agree on.

Even going into more controversial territory, it seems South Park is an advocate for not getting completely wrapped up and becoming an extremist.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
If my Facebook feed is any indication, if you’re worried about whether your words or actions are properly aiding the plight of the black community, a well meaning but stupid white woman will tell you how you’re doing it wrong.

Cyril Sneer

Mando'ad Aardvark
kiwifarms.net
Except it isn't about being above other people's feelings at all. Multiple times in the song characters are confronted with outdated terminology or views and correct them.
The idea of "outdated terminology" is just a mechanism for leftists to force normies into a state of compliance just for the sake of exercising power over them. How many times has the "correct" descriptor for America's African-descended population changed over the last hundred years? Like half a dozen? What has that done to benefit anyone, except professional scolds and race-hustlers? Not a damn thing.

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The idea of "outdated terminology" is just a mechanism for leftists to force normies into a state of compliance just for the sake of exercising power over them. How many times has the "correct" descriptor for America's African-descended population changed over the last hundred years? Like half a dozen? What has that done to benefit anyone, except professional scolds and race-hustlers? Not a damn thing.

For sure, language policing is retarded, I'm just illustrating how the author is either being disingenuous or is just too stupid to understand the song.

horrorfan89

I'm running this kiwi farm now Null!
kiwifarms.net
It’s really funny how South Park went from pissing off pearl clutching conservatives in the 1990s to pissing off pearl clutching liberals in the present day, really funny.
What goes around comes around I guess. Remember those Pearl clutching liberals are almost all the children of those Pearl clutching conservatives who didn't let them watch the shows of yesteryear as kids and instead they grew up cut from the same bitter joyless cloth as their parents. Only switching political sides to piss them off because it's the only way they could express rebellion. South Park did a whole episode on one generation's hate for something cool getting xeroxed onto the next. (the one where Kyle formed millienals against Canada mirroring his mom forming mothers against Canada in 99)

though the song would never call them microaggressions
yeah that's cause bs words and ideas like that didn't exist when Avenue q was written