Bad Art In Children's Cartoons - Why Does Peppa Pig Have 4 Eyes ?

M

MI 814

kiwifarms.net
This reminds me of a cartoon called Fanboy and Chum-Chum.
Here's the opening. Look at these creatures mother of God:
It's hard to believe that the same creator is working on Glitch Techs:

Pretty damn impressive looking animation. But it's not out until next year so who knows if the end result is actually good.

• Agree
Reactions: Shokew

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

David Cronenboi
kiwifarms.net
As a cartoon sperg, I'd say it comes down to how cartoons are made nowadays.
Most things are basically made in Flash these days, so hand drawn is pretty much out. Hand drawn cartoons allowed for literally anything to happen, with every frame being slaved over until just right. Of course, frames in between movement still had wonky looks, but that just comes with the territory.
But with Flash, it's kind of like puppetry. And with the most popular cartoons currently made having directors mostly from Cal-Arts, things are looking samey.

Image result for calarts face
If we go back just a few years, you can see much more variety, for good or ill.
Image result for hi hi puffy amiyumi
Image result for daria
Image result for the oblongs
Image result for invader zim
Image result for rocky and bullwinkle
Image result for jlu
Image result for fairly odd parents
Image result for kappa mikey
One thing that has gotten better is 3D animation, because the technology has improved to where it looks how the artists want it to. I still personally think 2D is better for serialized TV shows, because making a good 3D animation takes time, while 2D can be stylized easier.
And as for character designs, that's much more up to personal preference. I personally like more simplistic things, but others don't. And that's how art works. I personally think the characters in Adventure Time look fine, I don't mind it. Others do, and that's fine and I can see why.
I wish there was more visual variety in the mainstream, but that will probably just come with time.

PsychoNerd054

Green people are so sexy!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This reminds me of a cartoon called Fanboy and Chum-Chum.
Here's the opening. Look at these creatures mother of God:
I always thought Fanboy and Chum Chum would have looked a lot better if it was animated in 2D, but that's not saying much. In terms of its actual content, though, I'd say its humor is somewhat on the same level as something akin to early Billy and Mandy, where its humor varied between gross-out, slapstick, and 80's references. It just doesn't seem to do it as well, though. It basically just felt like another Spongebob clone that the network would dish out in the late 2000's/early 2010's.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Draza
The art has grown crappier over the years for two reasons: increasing costs and declining artistic skill.
Animation is a labor intensive, expensive business. An episode of your average anime can be produced for a fraction of what a western cartoon is produced for, so costs have to be cut where possible. This leads to animators getting paid peanuts while still being expected to churn out animation. As such, shortcuts are taken- reduced ranges of motion, less detailed drawing, recycled shots, and so on.
Second, artistic skill has declined over the years. As I said, animation isn't profitable, and the good animators aren't willing to work for peanuts for established companies when they can make more on Patreon (Patreon also gives them more artistic freedom to work on their own ideas, rather than on someone else's ideas). This leads to subpar artists being hired, and subpar work being produced.
But don't just take my word for it. Below is the production art of the female lead for three shows: Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop, Kim Possible from Kim Possible, and Princess Bubblegum from Adventure Time. You tell me which show had the subpar artists.
Faye Valentine obviously is the most realistic and detailed, but Kim Possible may be the best artwork of those three. Very clean, strong art style. Stylized > Realistic (most of the time)

Sexy Senior Citizen

EAT THE DAMN BABIES ALREADY
kiwifarms.net
Faye Valentine obviously is the most realistic and detailed, but Kim Possible may be the best artwork of those three. Very clean, strong art style. Stylized > Realistic (most of the time)
A few hours after posting it, I realized that it wasn't that fair of a comparison due to the stylistic differences. Bebop was a grungy, realistic anime (thus demanding a realistic style), whereas KP/AT are more stylized.
But even then, the style of Kim Possible's art is one that is sadly disappearing. Compare her pose to that of Princess Bubblegum. Kim's pose depicts someone who is at once confident in their abilities, yet completely laid back, ready to face whatever 101% FUBAR situation this week's villain is going to throw at them. Bubblegum, on the other hand, is a very bland up-and-down style (in every bit of concept art I've found), and does nothing to tell us about her character. She could be an extra for all we know.
Small caveat here. Adventure Time's art style may not be the best, but it did something most cartoons do not: it rendered every background the way the characters were rendered. That was a stylistic choice I like very much.
Lemme mansplain here: in older cartoons (such as the original Scooby-Doo and old Disney movies) characters, and the objects they'd interact with, were cel shaded- colored very flat colors, with a minimum of shading. The backgrounds, by contrast, were painted. This gave viewers a good idea of what would move and what wouldn't, what the characters would interact with and what they wouldn't.
By contrast, the Adventure Time crew rendered their (admittedly surreal) backgrounds with cel shading, regardless of whether or not the characters would interact with it. This gave the world of Adventure Time a sense of interactivity that other cartoons lack- that any character can interact with any part of the world at any time. In my opinion, such a choice adds a sense of realism to the cartoon.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino