Bad voice acting/dialogue in games - "HI RYEEEUUUU"

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
Am I autistic or is it just really hard to tell what is bad acting when you don't understand the language at all?
I agree with you on this. I think a lot of it might have to do with my unfamiliarity with the Japanese language, but it all sounds the same to me.

That being said, I would pay actual money to hear the original Japanese voices of Resident Evil, which were supposedly so bad they were thrown out and replaced with the English lines even in Japan because they were actually the "better" performances.

Zero Day Defense

The Wankiest.
kiwifarms.net
Don't get me wrong, I like it too. But we can't pretend it's good voice acting.
It's pretty good voice acting, for the most part. Especially in KH1 and KH2. By the time we got to KH3 the issue was more with the suitability of the voices-- Sora's voice is more affected in KH3 than it was in KH2 to the point that it would have worked well just to keep his KH2 inflection (if he could at that point).

I think the only particularly bad voice acting in the series was that for Aqua. My goodness, people have tried to defend her pitiable performance in KH3 by saying that it would only make sense for her to sound like that because she was trapped in the Realm of Darkness for over a decade-- she had to have been trapped in the Realm of Darkness from her debut, then. Shoot.

Oh, and KH2 Aerith. That was bad.

• Agree
Reactions: Agent Nahman Jayden

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net

jellycar

Patricia Campbell Hearst
kiwifarms.net
It's pretty good voice acting, for the most part. Especially in KH1 and KH2. By the time we got to KH3 the issue was more with the suitability of the voices-- Sora's voice is more affected in KH3 than it was in KH2 to the point that it would have worked well just to keep his KH2 inflection (if he could at that point).

I think the only particularly bad voice acting in the series was that for Aqua. My goodness, people have tried to defend her pitiable performance in KH3 by saying that it would only make sense for her to sound like that because she was trapped in the Realm of Darkness for over a decade-- she had to have been trapped in the Realm of Darkness from her debut, then. Shoot.

Oh god no not Mena Suvari. Fuck.

Am I autistic or is it just really hard to tell what is bad acting when you don't understand the language at all?

I don't see how anyone could without having a strong knowledge of the language in question. The difference between good and bad acting tends to be very subtle things such as inflections or tone, which don't come across if you're reading subtitles.

Dunsparce

Out of Control
Staff Member
Community Admin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins for the gamecube are solid JRPGs made by Mololith Soft. However, both have a very glaring flaw: The Voice Acting. Origins just had standard bad voice acting, but the first game was some the worst I've ever heard in any video game I've played, on top of the sub-par voice acting itself, all of the lines are echoing like they were recorded in an empty warehouse.

Agent Nahman Jayden

Acts like he's from space
kiwifarms.net

God I'm with you on Aqua (because KH2 Aerith speaks for herself. Or doesn't. I dunno) - she does that really annoying anime thing where like she breathes every sentence like she's about to start crying and I'm like "bitch you're supposed to be a strong leader". She was annoying even in BBS and that had Terra who was no shining star of voice acting, either. They wasted Mark Hamill IMO.

ALSO this thread reminds me of this guy who's taken a bunch of bad voice lines and face-acted them. It's very interesting.

Tism the Return

Carlku Sonjohn
kiwifarms.net
Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins for the gamecube are solid JRPGs made by Mololith Soft. However, both have a very glaring flaw: The Voice Acting. Origins just had standard bad voice acting, but the first game was some the worst I've ever heard in any video game I've played, on top of the sub-par voice acting itself, all of the lines are echoing like they were recorded in an empty warehouse.
On the topic of Monolith Soft games, Xenoblades Chronicles 2 has an absolutely fucking awful dub.

• Agree
Reactions: Dink Smallwood

ADN_VIII

I need more coffee
kiwifarms.net
Did anyone play Indigo Prophecy (in America. Fahrenheit elsewhere)? It was David Cage's first real attempt to make a movie that you occasionally push buttons or do a QTE while watching. Being his first real attempt (that thing in the late 90s doesn't count) at an interactive movie, he made that common mistake of not paying for quality voice work. Literally every character sounds like they're reading the script out of a hardback book with no emotional investment which in turn kills all suspense in dialogue.

The opening scene where the player character murders a dude in a diner bathroom with a steak knife is entirely deflated by the shit voice acting and the total lack of OH GOD THERE'S A DEAD BODY IN THIS BATHROOM CALL THE COPS I NEED HELP.

I actually liked the game because the story was batshit but entertaining and I still have no idea what the point of the opening scene in the diner is. The absurdity of the situation and the shit voice acting absolutely defeats the purpose of the opening sequence.

Crichax

I want to Cra-chiax YOUR spine
kiwifarms.net

Sword and Fairy 6 used Google Translate for most of the dialogue, and the intro suffers the most from it.

The Beast faction is renamed to "Oak", and the Gods are called the "Protoss". Apparently, Google Translate translates a Chinese term for "god" into "Protoss" for some reason. Maybe the Protoss were called by that name in a Chinese translation for one of the StarCraft games. I have no real idea why this is the case, though.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
Did anyone play Indigo Prophecy (in America. Fahrenheit elsewhere)? It was David Cage's first real attempt to make a movie that you occasionally push buttons or do a QTE while watching. Being his first real attempt (that thing in the late 90s doesn't count) at an interactive movie, he made that common mistake of not paying for quality voice work. Literally every character sounds like they're reading the script out of a hardback book with no emotional investment which in turn kills all suspense in dialogue.

The opening scene where the player character murders a dude in a diner bathroom with a steak knife is entirely deflated by the shit voice acting and the total lack of OH GOD THERE'S A DEAD BODY IN THIS BATHROOM CALL THE COPS I NEED HELP.

I actually liked the game because the story was batshit but entertaining and I still have no idea what the point of the opening scene in the diner is. The absurdity of the situation and the shit voice acting absolutely defeats the purpose of the opening sequence.
Indigo Prophecy I can kinda forgive because every studio's first game is gonna have a few bumps and be rough around the edges out the gate.

Heavy Rain and onwards, on the other hand...

jellycar

Patricia Campbell Hearst
kiwifarms.net
Indigo Prophecy I can kinda forgive because every studio's first game is gonna have a few bumps and be rough around the edges out the gate.

Heavy Rain and onwards, on the other hand...
Idk why they had UK actors doing American accents. It was horrid.

JAYSUN
JAAAYSUN

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino