Baki the grappler and all related series -

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
Anyone else a fan of Baki? I think with the new netflix series and the manga still going strong, it deserves a thread. I think its my favorite manga just because its dudes beating each other for no particular reason, and then philosophising about what it means to beat each other up, also, its a time capsule of the transition between the Bruce Lee and the early UFC eras of martial arts. You have:
-Grappler Baki
-Baki (this is what the netflix series has adapted)
-Hanma Baki/Son of Ogre
-Baki Dou
-Baki Dou 2018
To those who dont know Baki, it is about a young boy who wants to become the strongest being because he wants to defeat his father, the strongest creature, to avenge his mother. This falls to the wayside pretty quickly and we follow the stories of a bunch of characters that just want to beat each other.
My favorite character is Biscuit Oliva, Musashi was also awesome, Yujiro, Kaku, Doppo, the manga is full of fun characters.
Whats your opinion on Baki?
baki 2.jpg

Last edited:

LullerDerbyRollin

I have no mouth and I have only more to scream
kiwifarms.net
Didn't a woman get raped in this comic? Or was that a doujin someone tried to pass off as the real thing? Baki feels like a fucking drug induced fever dream of muscle builders.

• Agree
Reactions: Ciscoipphone

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
Didn't a woman get raped in this comic? Or was that a doujin someone tried to pass off as the real thing? Baki feels like a fucking drug induced fever dream of muscle builders.
A couple of women get raped, but the author has kindda a very primeval definition of rape, if you are a strong man, then she secretly wants it. Definetly not his strong suit, but there a some great female characters: Baki's mom, Oliva's lover, even Baki's girlfriend.

LullerDerbyRollin

I have no mouth and I have only more to scream
kiwifarms.net
I just remember it because it was super fucking weird, like, it was a literal pre-stone age caveman, right? So he tries to make it make sense, but it was just the most batshit thing out of no where and then equally funny trying to justify it and move on.

Tim Buckley

Suffering
kiwifarms.net
This is not a joke btw, not making shit up, Yujiro (A monstrously scary MC in the series) threatened to rape Hilary Clinton and got hard in front ot her, she got extremely horny but wasn't raped in the end, that happened. Also the same man made Trump piss himself into submission along with the US army.

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
I just remember it because it was super fucking weird, like, it was a literal pre-stone age caveman, right? So he tries to make it make sense, but it was just the most batshit thing out of no where and then equally funny trying to justify it and move on.
Yeah, Pickle, he was frozen while fighting a T-Rex. The funniest thing is that nobody is apalled by the rape, but rather they are charmed by the raw display of savagery, it comes up later when the goverments are trying to decide what to do with him, but it is never presented as an evil act. Its a good arc, a little silly, but it has some great moments.

• Informative

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
This is not a joke btw, not making shit up, Yujiro (A monstrously scary MC in the series) threatened to rape Hilary Clinton and got hard in front ot her, she got extremely horny but wasn't raped in the end, that happened. Also the same man made Trump piss himself into submission along with the US army.
That is literally the weirdest thing in Baki and super weird in its own right. I generally dont find Baki weird, maybe because I did martial arts for quite a while, so the idea of just wanting to beat each other just for the sake of it is not alien to me, and, yes, there are some fantastic elements, but I think they feel weirder than they are because Baki presents itself as a realistic manga, so the fantastic elements stand up more. But the Hillary thing left me speechless.
D71XFa2X4AAChwl.jpg

Then she walks off all flustered.

• Winner

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
This series is so absolutely fucking nuts, I can’t help but love it. It’s hard to explain exactly how insane it is without just telling you the entire plot, but my favorite chapter is when, apropos of nothing, the karateka Doppo Orichi follows a shady guy who then draws a knife on some kids. So, what Doppo does is rip out his throat, shatter his pelvis, and then, and I quote, “Remove some of his ribs for him”. It was so brutal, but then Doppo admits to a police officer that maybe the ribs was a bit much.
This series is something special, man.

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
This series is so absolutely fucking nuts, I can’t help but love it. It’s hard to explain exactly how insane it is without just telling you the entire plot, but my favorite chapter is when, apropos of nothing, the karateka Doppo Orichi follows a shady guy who then draws a knife on some kids. So, what Doppo does is rip out his throat, shatter his pelvis, and then, and I quote, “Remove some of his ribs for him”. It was so brutal, but then Doppo admits to a police officer that maybe the ribs was a bit much.
This series is something special, man.
The greatest thing is that Doppo saving the kid was accidental, he was just looking for someone who would give him a excuse to beat them up.

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A couple of women get raped, but the author has kindda a very primeval definition of rape, if you are a strong man, then she secretly wants it. Definetly not his strong suit, but there a some great female characters: Baki's mom, Oliva's lover, even Baki's girlfriend.
Shut up, libtard.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
The greatest thing is that Doppo saving the kid was accidental, he was just looking for someone who would give him a excuse to beat them up.
It was a chapter that had literally no narrative reason to be there, but it was so brutal and out of nowhere that I’m glad it was written in.
For some reason, the idea of the “Secret Karate Technique” of just ripping a motherfuckers ribs out is absurdly funny to me.

• Feels
Reactions: kobox666

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
I used to love Grappler Baki, but it has been replaced by Kengan Ashura/Omega and The Breaker in my favorite weebshit martial arts library.

But Itagaki took TMA, some MMA, and dialed that shit way up.
I like Kengan Ashura, havent check Omega or the Breaker out, Kengan Ashura really feels like a modern version of Baki, but what makes me prefer Baki is the fact that there are no good vs evil dilemma, maybe at the beginning but then it disapears, it is about men who want to check out who is the strongest, the whole political angle in Ashura throws me off a little. I think what you said last is what makes Baki such an interesting piece to study: it came right in that transitional period, TMA and Hollywood, to MMA. Also, the visual references are wonderful, I bet with a little work, you could find their sources, like that epic Sergio Oliva pic where he is doing his signature pose. I can imagine Itagaki looking at it in a magazine and getting inspired to create Biscuit Oliva.

Last edited:

Pentex

kiwifarms.net
I like Kengan Ashura, havent check Omega or the Breaker out, Kengan Ashura really feels like a modern version of Baki, but what makes me prefer Baki is the fact that there are no good vs evil dilemma, maybe at the beginning but then it disapears, it is about men who want to check out who is the strongest, the whole political angle in Ashura throws me off a little. I think what you said last is what makes Baki such an interesting piece to study: it came right in that transitional period, TMA and Hollywood, to MMA. Also, the visual references are wonderful, I bet with a little work, you could find their sources, like that epic Sergio Oliva pic where he is doing his signature pose. I can imagine Itagaki looking at it in a magazine and getting inspired to create Biscuit Oliva.
I respect the amount of actual study Itagaki put into learning about bodybuilding and human anatomy, if only so he knew where he could emphasize or exaggerate it in his characters. His detail work is pretty incredible. I would have liked to have seen a character like Jack become a greater threat through (training/medical science) in Baki as opposed to reviving frozen cavemen and cloning dead super-samurai, but oh well.

• Feels
Reactions: kobox666

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
I respect the amount of actual study Itagaki put into learning about bodybuilding and human anatomy, if only so he knew where he could emphasize or exaggerate it in his characters. His detail work is pretty incredible. I would have liked to have seen a character like Jack become a greater threat through (training/medical science) in Baki as opposed to reviving frozen cavemen and cloning dead super-samurai, but oh well.
Yeah, Itagaki tends to leave his characters behind, in terms of power level, but at least he knows how to dial things back so the rest of the cast also gets some spotlight. Like the current arc, instead of Baki fighting Nomi No Sukune, he made that Sumo vs Arena Fighters tournament and our older characters have been given a chance to shine. Even in the Musashi arc, even though he was basically at Yujiro's level, or at least near him, he felt very human, so the Hanayama and his other fights always had some praise for the rest of the cast. Lol poor Jack, he needs a win soon, he got obliterated by pickle amd Motobe in his last 2 fights.
Specially in action scenes you can apreciate the level of detail in his work.

Tags
None