Community Ball-Jointed Doll (BJD) Collectors -

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Fenris

#YesAllMages
kiwifarms.net
I go through phases of paying attention to my dolls and leaving them sitting on a shelf for months lmao.

I've been to one meet in my time in the hobby and I think that was enough. It was at a tiny free anime con. I think three other dolls showed up?

One of them was the same sculpt as mine. The owner was the one to point this out to me, as her doll's wig was obscuring half its face. She left it with me to go hit up the vendors or whatever, and said to me "Watch out, he might touch your boy!"

I laughed this off because whatever, weebs. The other girl was busy selling art, so I figured whatever I'll take a minute and situate this poor doll's wig. It was fur, pretty matted and fucked up in positioning. So I grabbed my doll brush and went to work.

Mistake. I got the wig repositioned and stared down at its face. At first glance I thought that it had weird blind eyes, but they were like...completely opaque and looked gritty, like they'd been painted over with cheap craft paint. Pretty gross. It's eyebrows? Spotty and chunky, a wiggly brown line that looked like she'd drawn them on with chocolate or something far more sinister. The eyeliner was the same, eyeshadow a splotchy yellowy brown. Its lips were identically painted as my doll's, so moving its wig to see this was just startling.

I brushed out its wig anyway because it looked so fucked up. She came back and thanked me. I said nothing about its face, but she offered that she had accidentally spilled nail polish remover on the top half of it. The rest of the meet was just her talking about hot yaois with my doll. I sat through this for 45 minutes before my ride showed up and rescued me. I took a side by side comparison of our dolls' faces for posterity, but fuck if I can remember where I stored it.

Anyway, I stay the fuck to myself because I really don't wanna hear about how your doll would sex mine up.

Rogue Boob

Bish, please.
kiwifarms.net
You'll find weirdos like that one in every area of doll collecting tbh. Some of them are creepy as hell and some are just kind of cute about it.
Roomie and I ran across one of the most innocent walmart cashiers I've ever met a few Halloweens ago. He was there with all his fandom swag over his employee vest, and carrying what was clearly one of the most precious possessions he owned - a Miku Hatsune Dollfie. I found out later he's mildly exceptional, but he'd saved up for years to go to Japan just to get that doll, and he had a great time talking with the both of us about it for a few minutes. Guys like that I don't mind.

The elitism with some of the BJD people blows my mind, though.

I have a couple of legit by definition ball-jointed dolls, and they probably don't count to that crowd because they cost me less than $30 apiece (they're Ai dolls, the ones that used to show up at Tuesday Morning).

Aside from them I just stick with vinyl, vinyl doll fans are much more welcoming overall.

Android raptor

50% android, 50% raptor, 100% autistic
kiwifarms.net
I've been out of the doll scene for a minute (and I've never had any BJDs proper, I just have 1/6 scale obitsus and whatnot. The shit I've heard BJD elitists refer to as "ugly overpriced Barbies"), but I'm thinking about trying the ease back into the doll game. Is it still the case that 5/6 of all dolls in existence are angsty yaoi vampire/demon/angel/elf/whatever skirtbois? Or has Tumblr nonsense worked its way into the BJD scene so now all the dolls are genderspecial ambigiously brown angsty skirtbois?

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I've been out of the doll scene for a minute (and I've never had any BJDs proper, I just have 1/6 scale obitsus and whatnot. The shit I've heard BJD elitists refer to as "ugly overpriced Barbies"), but I'm thinking about trying the ease back into the doll game. Is it still the case that 5/6 of all dolls in existence are angsty yaoi vampire/demon/angel/elf/whatever skirtbois? Or has Tumblr nonsense worked its way into the BJD scene so now all the dolls are genderspecial ambigiously brown angsty skirtbois?
Both seem to exist from what I've seen on Den of Angels. I started laughing when I read about people doing breast removal mods to female bodies to make their enby demiguy dolls. Or threads about who has a trans character doll.

Though my personal dislike is the neon vomit styled dolls that keep showing up.

anondotcom

I'd sell you to Satan for one corn chip
kiwifarms.net
They could, in theory, but it's "easier" to potentially destroy a chest piece you already know fits the arms and lower torso than to buy a different doll and pray the chest piece you switch with fits.

Granted, it'd also probably be easier if most resin companies offered a small bust option that was actually flat or close to rather than a sliding scale of "busty" to "EXCEPTIONAL."

Reactions: Rogue Boob

simulated goat

goat-human virus
kiwifarms.net
But

they're BJDs.

Couldn't they just

get one of each and frankenstring the parts instead of grinding the breasts off?

I mean

where's the sense of adventure
The sense of adventure is in the destruction for some. Growing up I was friends with a next door neighbor girl with a large barbie collection of the sort where all the barbies were mutilated, sans hair, feet, heads, bodies, etc. She already had one she'd nearly chewed the tits off of. Probably a good thing she never had access to trans ideology or a dremel tool.

Kylie Raina

kiwifarms.net
I dont understand the obsession w these creepy ass things. Ive seen instagram accs of ppl with these and they always downright disturb me. Go figure theyre an elitist community. This type of stuff always is and ppl have to constantly be better or richer than one another

Android raptor

50% android, 50% raptor, 100% autistic
kiwifarms.net
Both seem to exist from what I've seen on Den of Angels. I started laughing when I read about people doing breast removal mods to female bodies to make their enby demiguy dolls. Or threads about who has a trans character doll.

Though my personal dislike is the neon vomit styled dolls that keep showing up.
So do the trans demiboi dolls still get shoved in skirts after getting their tits lopped off?

KidSparrow

Who are you again?
kiwifarms.net
I remember reading a post from someone admitting to grooming their bf to like/tolerate dolls by putting one in their room every night. Poor bastard. Even I'm low key afraid of my few so they stay in the closet on a shelf

Tbh I've chopped off 2 flaccid doll dicks with a chisel and sanded the remains smooth. Why? Because they need to wear these $20 jeans and resin dicks aren't very malleable. (Yes I kept the dick for reattachment for sale because I'm not crazy enough to loose money over this) I can see the appeal of magnet dicks tbh, it makes clothes swapping easier and allows for more styles without worry of a lump pushing open the fly.
Cant say anything about the titty mods to make rainbow trans/fairy boys. Not my taste tbh.

Yeah I always wondered why people would spend like a paycheck on basically plastic toys. Also, why are people pulling their hair out to get this "rare speshul" model when you can get plastic dolls at Walmart please enlighten me.
Am I insane for abandoning dolls at like age 12 when I discovered makeup and boys and big girl stuff?
The plastic doll from Walmart isn't a 2ft tall hot dude with jointed fingers and comes with a blood borne saw scythe.
I see most of them as just bigger action figures. See the licenced Dr Strange doll by IOS. expensive as hell but it looks like a cloth clothes statue that can stand and sit ect.

It's all aesthetics

Last edited:

KidSparrow

Who are you again?
kiwifarms.net
Well, this is kind of dead so allow me to share with you one of my favorite Lolcows (possibly a dramacow?) in this hobby.

KiwiFarms, meet Danny Choo.

Now, I have a lot on Danny Choo, probably enough to make his own thread, but I'm not quite sure if he's enough of a cow for that. So here's a quick summary of Danny and all the thing's he's done:

Danny is a huge weeaboo who moved to Japan and made anime BJDs known as SmartDolls. Despite the name, there is nothing "smart" about SmartDolls, they are just chunks of vinyl.
Danny, however, seems to think they're the best thing since sliced bread. So much so that Danny has constantly bashed on his main competitor, Volks, (whom without, SmartDoll wouldn't exist) other BJD owners, and sometimes even his own customers.
Anyone who bashes on Danny is a "hater" because Danny is perfect and there's nothing about him to criticize. Whoever dares to make legitimate complaints and even constructive criticism is just a big meanie.
Oh, and let's not forget how he preaches that anyone can achieve their dreams if they work hard enough, when it was his daddy's money and Danny's overworked and unaccredited employees that got him where he is today.
Basically, Danny is a big man-child who plays with big breasted dolls and whines if he doesn't get his way. He reeks of unprofessional-ism and has his head so far up his own ass that he's living in his lower intestine.

If there's enough demand, I will make him his own thread. I've been watching Danny and his SmartDoll community on and off for about a year now, so I'm sure I can dig up plenty of more stuff about him.
I would not mind a thread but you may get flack from outsiders or the screeching smart doll fans. pls make sure to show that failed code G doll he made if you do make said post.

KidSparrow

Who are you again?
kiwifarms.net
These dolls remind me of some kind of slender insectoid alien mimicking a human form with its chitinous shell.
It looks worse when people photoshop out the joints, because you know it's not real, and there's shadows and wrinkles when people bend. Not a blurry patch
I'll edit with pics if I can find any of the best examples

chaddis

kiwifarms.net
Anyone else really curious what that reddit user's grail sculpt is? $500 seems cheap compared to some SDs floating around, but is an okay price for an artist doll in MSD size, limited Minifee head, or Smartdoll (Not that limited Minifee heads are actually worth what they cost, but Juri 08 and Liria fetch half a grand each)

Speaking of doll finances, it's always a huge topic on confession blogs because people will sell dolls for emergency money. I guess it's valid to prioritize vet bills over a doll, but I can't fathom why you wouldn't just... save more money for stuff like that before buying the doll. Cash is always better to have than a weird collectible only a handful of people scattered across the world will value.

Reactions: KidSparrow

KidSparrow

Who are you again?
kiwifarms.net
Anyone else really curious what that reddit user's grail sculpt is? $500 seems cheap compared to some SDs floating around, but is an okay price for an artist doll in MSD size, limited Minifee head, or Smartdoll (Not that limited Minifee heads are actually worth what they cost, but Juri 08 and Liria fetch half a grand each)

Speaking of doll finances, it's always a huge topic on confession blogs because people will sell dolls for emergency money. I guess it's valid to prioritize vet bills over a doll, but I can't fathom why you wouldn't just... save more money for stuff like that before buying the doll. Cash is always better to have than a weird collectible only a handful of people scattered across the world will value.
I'm sure they lied about the amount considering the way they styled their confession to be a pity party, $500 is basically a msd- decent sd. But they still lied to their SO lol. Grails are usually super special and in the $800-6k range if your an exceptional individual. I've known someone who wanted a resin kikipop(? There is a plastic $400 one as well) and paid $1k for one second hand. Kinda ironic since a bootleg resin was $30. Considering how weird, nationalistic, and paranoid the Japanese artist was back then I'm not suprised their resin bug eyed toonie is $1k

Probably because that money goes back to dolls. There's really no cap on doll spending, it's like having a shoe collection. There will always be a new release. Or clothes/accessories/wigs ect.

I might power level a bit but I draw for work and have a group of friends who do the same. "OC"s are a thing. People make a doll a character, an OC, but unlike Just drawing a character in a new outfit, you gotta buy the outfit. Then there's another doll, different characters = different wardrobe ect. Just adds up.

Aside from that, validation maybe? You see the nice outfits the Asians advertise but its $80. /Your doll would look cool in that, better than my friends, and then bought./ I also see a number of people with like 20 layaways and on welfare so I'm sure that stacks

Edit: I put more stock in the height and color of bodies over heads. Each o mine can and do share clothes groups. It's not a solid ideal, but I do feel like folks with a more focused grouping/DIY habits or an irl doll friend group don't cry broke as often.

Last edited: