Banned books actually worth reading -

Observerer

Talking to me is like clapping with one hand
kiwifarms.net
Heart of Darkness: Beautifully written, not PC.
Lolita: Beautifully written, not PC.

I haven't read Moby Dick, but the word on the street is that it's beautifully written and not PC.
Heart of Darkness was a tough fucking read imo, but you get a lot of appreciation for it after a while. Also Apocalypse Now is loosely based on it so you got a great movie as well.

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
Books trying as hard as they possibly can to get banned is just a gimmick. Some authors seem to be so fucking smug about getting a banned book.

Besides, books being placed on a ban list in public schooling settings absolutely does not prevent kids from reading stuff out of their age range. I was reading Stephen King, HP Lovecraft and The Draka in school between classes just because I had to foresight to bring my own copies in and nobody stopped me. Meanwhile there were dumb PTA discussions about banning The Chocolate War because it promotes rebelliousness or some religious nut was pissing themselves about Harry Potter because Satanism.

This is on top of the fact that my school also had an exstensive (although quite dated) collection of history texts that explicitly detailed various violent conflicts, warcrimes, weaponry specifications (and their effects), and even the occasional book on terroism. There were also two copies of Mein Kampf present in the library, though they always seemed to be checked out. Honestly if a book is notoriously banned I actually gravitate away from it because it makes me think its pretentious trash.

Pond Scum

Disgusting!
kiwifarms.net
I think American Psycho is a great book, but really the extreme violence that gets it banned isn't even the part that makes it worth reading.

Reactions: L50LasPak

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Is this like some kind of meta-commentary on how jews are scapegoats for everything under the sun?
Henry Ford hated the international Jewish community as he blamed the Jewish bankers for the disaster that was World War I. He was very friendly with individual Jews.

He also read the Protocols, which is another banned book you should read. Like KiwiFarms' own weev said, it may not be factually true, but it is spiritually true.

Books trying as hard as they possibly can to get banned is just a gimmick. Some authors seem to be so fucking smug about getting a banned book.

Besides, books being placed on a ban list in public schooling settings absolutely does not prevent kids from reading stuff out of their age range. I was reading Stephen King, HP Lovecraft and The Draka in school between classes just because I had to foresight to bring my own copies in and nobody stopped me. Meanwhile there were dumb PTA discussions about banning The Chocolate War because it promotes rebelliousness or some religious nut was pissing themselves about Harry Potter because Satanism.

This is on top of the fact that my school also had an exstensive (although quite dated) collection of history texts that explicitly detailed various violent conflicts, warcrimes, weaponry specifications (and their effects), and even the occasional book on terroism. There were also two copies of Mein Kampf present in the library, though they always seemed to be checked out. Honestly if a book is notoriously banned I actually gravitate away from it because it makes me think its pretentious trash.
I remember The Chocolate War being mind numbingly boring.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
Behold a Pale Horse by Bill Cooper is your usual crazy evangelical type conspiracy drivel about Aids and UFOS and the deep state, but can be quite entertaining. - Was banned in Canada

The Nothingness

The one with no body!
kiwifarms.net
I haven't read Moby Dick, but the word on the street is that it's beautifully written and not PC.
Moby Dick was a challenge for me since a lot of it talks about the whaling business and how whale blubber was made into whale oil. Aheb's revenge feels like a secondary plot than the main plot.

• Agree
Reactions: KiwiFuzz
Catch-22 is worth reading and according to Wikipedia was banned in parts of the USA when it was first released.

They also list a Canadian book by Quebec Nationalist (I assume) Pierre Vallières called “White Niggers of America”, which is probably looks interesting. Anybody read it?

Where's "The Fountainhead" banned?
Love the book but it should be banned from the philosophy section of any decent library.

Well different books have been banned in different times and places so these are just a few that have been banned in the past:
-All Quiet on the Western Front was banned in Nazi Germany for being too anti-war
-The Anarchists Cookbook literally has recipes for homemade weapons and bombs
-Ulysses despite it's modern fame was banned for indecency or obscenity I think
-The Catcher in the Rye was seen as spreading suicide and communism
-The Grapes of Wrath was banned by the Turkish Government "for spreading propaganda unfavorable to the state"
You’ve included The Anarchists Cookbook and The Catcher in the Rye but this is supposed to be about books worth reading!

Fareal

will definitely consider what you have said
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Don’t read books to be an edgelord. Read them because you want to read them. We don’t keep a reading list for school shooters.

Anyway, go read Wonderful Wonderful Times by Elfriede Jelinek. It should meet your criteria.

Tags
None