‘Batgirl’ Enlists Brendan Fraser as Villain

The Valeyard

kiwifarms.net

Brendan Fraser is headed to Gotham City. The actor will play the villain in Batgirl, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. He is playing the pyro-themed Batman villain Firefly, according to sources.

Batgirl stars Leslie Grace as the superhero, with Bad Boys for Lifefilmmakers Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directing from a script by Birds of Prey screenwriter Christina Hodson. The DC film is set to debut on HBO Max and centers on Barbara Gordon, the daughter of Gotham police commissioner Jim Gordon. J.K. Simmons returns as Jim Gordon in the film after portraying him in Zack Snyder’s Justice League.

Batgirl is expected to bow on HBO Max sometime in 2022.

Fraser, who was a genre mainstay in the 1990s thanks to The Mummy films, already has jumped into the world of DC before as part of the cast of the TV series Doom Patrol. Deadline first reported the news of his casting. The actor is repped by The Gersh Agency and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

— Borys Kit contributed reporting.

A couple of things:
1) If J.K. Simmons is returning as Jim Gordon why race swap Barbara Gordon/Batgirl? When I first heard about this movie I thought that it was connected to The Batman where Jim Gordon is played by Jeffrey Wright.
2) Firefly is lame, even if the film wants to use a lesser known villain someone like Clayface would be more interesting.

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net
Disagree with Firefly being lame, I dug what they did with him in the Arkham games but he is a fine villain for what is going to be a mid-budget HBO Max movie. I have to question why a Batgirl movie in the first place and secondly question why the race bending?

It's not the Batgirl little kids will know and if they want to add more racial diversity to the DC why not go and make a movie on a character like Vixen or Bumblebee?

Alexander Thaut

Viva Venezuela!
kiwifarms.net
Firefly's kinda bland but still a recognizable Bat-villain.

downright shame that Fraser isn't playing someone more suited to his typecast. I could see him play a burned-out Ted Kord or something.

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net
Hey, good on Mr. Frasier for getting roles again. I've long lost my tolerance for capeshit, but it looks like his stint on Doom Patrol has given him a second wind, so to speak.
He is also the lead in the Whale the new Darren Aronofsky where he will play a 600-pound man, and he also has a role in Killers of the Flower Moon the new Martin Scorsese movie, so he is doing pretty good now role wise even if it's mostly supporting roles he now gets.

The Shadow

As you sow evil, so shall you reap.
kiwifarms.net
Looking at the cast and crew just throws up a ton of red flags to me. In any case, whatever the WB's Birds of Prey show got wrong, Dina Meyer was the right live-action casting for Barbara for the era. Just a shame it didn't draw more from the excellent comic it was based on.
Firefly's kinda bland but still a recognizable Bat-villain.

downright shame that Fraser isn't playing someone more suited to his typecast. I could see him play a burned-out Ted Kord or something.
Honestly I think he'd have been a great Jay Garrick.

The Gangster Computer

Drunk on Duty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On one hand I'm happy for Fraser, on the other hand I'm really sick to death of capeshit and I'm not to keen on the directions this film is going.
2) Firefly is lame, even if the film wants to use a lesser known villain someone like Clayface would be more interesting.
True. But judging from the Arkham games and a quick duckduckgo search, it looks like there's some potential for this character to not come off as a total ass and actually be cool, although these three comic pages are out of context so they could be complete garbage for all I know, but at least they worked for single pages that could inspire a plethora of ideas.
1635252234430.png1635252172524.jpeg1635252157896.jpeg1635252145080.jpeg
The thing is I doubt the writers for this movie have the creativity to make Firefly work. But this is like the one of the few characters I could actually see working as a Nolan villain.

Anyway, at least its not Killer Moth (although he'd fit right in in a woke Batgirl reboot).
1635252479032.png
And it looks like he's only ever been cool once in adaptations.
1635252642096.png

And in everything else he seems to wear the same cheap and gay halloween costume.

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Disagree with Firefly being lame
Writers tend to portray him as a generic fire-themed villain, but thats just because they're lazy. There was a great run in the 90's where Firefly is released from captivity and tries to enter a relationship with a woman, but it couldn't work for him because he feels like he's already in a loving relationship with an imaginary woman who only reveals herself when stuff is burning. Like, when he sees flames ripple, it becomes a sexually-charged erotic dance to him, and the implication is that it's the only way he can get off. Every character can be interesting in the hands of a decent writer.

That said, Firefly will suck in this movie, because if they can't get a layup like Black Mask right, they sure as hell can't get Firefly right.

Last edited:

GHTD

Proud #BlueAnon Supporter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hopefully his shit gets un-JUSTed with this movie.

Sex Cannon Lupa

kiwifarms.net
Who cares about Firefly. The real mystery is HBO MAX making a cable expanded universe out of fucking Birds of Prey. Wasn't that thing a massive flop? (I remember it getting retitled Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey to try and trick coomers into coming.)

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net
Who cares about Firefly. The real mystery is HBO MAX making a cable expanded universe out of fucking Birds of Prey. Wasn't that thing a massive flop? (I remember it getting retitled Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey to try and trick coomers into coming.)
Birds of Prey had an $82 - $100 million budget and made $200 million overall, would have likely made a bit more if not for covid cutting its legs off. So low numbers for capeshit but for its budget not awful unless they blew lots on marketing expecting Deadpool numbers. Guess it must have done very well on HBO Max when it landed there, at least to the point of funding a lower budget Black Canary movie.

But Batgirl movie doesn't seem to have anything to do with Birds of Prey seems more of a Flash spin-off if the rumours of Michael Keaton being in it are true.

Harvey Danger

getting tired of this whole internet thing
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Birds of Prey had a decent run two decades ago, with characterizations that are completely taboo in both woke comics and woke TV shows. The franchise has nothing to offer modern writers, it's just an excuse to do the all-female GRRL POWER thing without the legal ownership issues emotional labor of coming up with new characters.

The Shadow

As you sow evil, so shall you reap.
kiwifarms.net
Birds of Prey had a decent run two decades ago, with characterizations that are completely taboo in both woke comics and woke TV shows. The franchise has nothing to offer modern writers, it's just an excuse to do the all-female GRRL POWER thing without the legal ownership issues emotional labor of coming up with new characters.
Of course. Oracle is basically the antithesis of victim culture.

Modern writers see Birds of Prey as "girl power, yaaas kween" but really the seed of the idea is just a professional relationship between two heroines at loose ends in their lives. Eventually you add more characters but the core is about Barbara and Dinah working together and the fact that they're both female is pretty unimportant to that. For the first few issues Oracle is remaining anonymous behind a voice changer so Dinah doesn't know if her information broker is a man or woman.

Last edited: