Battle for Section 230 - The Situation Monitoring Thread for Monitoring the Situation of the Situation Monitor's Situation Monitoring

• Downtime due to DDoS attacks still. I'm waiting on different providers to give me what I need to deal with it long-term.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Trump just said 230 is a threat to our national security, will veto the National Defense Authorization Act if it doesn't include a complete termination of 230.
How antisemetic to withhold whatever shekels the bill will grant to Israel.
This may be it! The good thing that Trump has done in his Presidency! This angry tweet will do more to preserve Section 230 than Trump's bosses would ever allow him to do intentionally.

KingCoelacanth

Click here to change your title
kiwifarms.net
It sucks that almost all the responses shitting on him are generic quotes about dictatorships, unrelated accusations, calls for his arrest, or unfunny insults like calling him a baby, none directly addressing 230, and all clearly Tweeted at Trump as fast as possible in order to get as many likes as they could.
This is what Trump's twitter has been like for 4 years. People talk about twitter being filled with bots, and honestly all the generic replies and insults Trump gets every time he tweets anything has me convinced.

Violent Ken Apologist

ENFP superstar
kiwifarms.net
Honestly? I'm fine with the section being repealed. This site is cool but the amount of bullshit and life ruining that goes on online as a whole is absurd to begin with. It'd destroy the SJW movement, for one, and would just push places like this to socialize in Discord servers or something like that privately. I don't see why it'd be a net negative.

The Perplexing Ms. Escape

Founder of The Wilkes Booth Project
kiwifarms.net
Honestly? I'm fine with the section being repealed. This site is cool but the amount of bullshit and life ruining that goes on online as a whole is absurd to begin with. It'd destroy the SJW movement, for one, and would just push places like this to socialize in Discord servers or something like that privately. I don't see why it'd be a net negative.
I’m pretty sure discord could be held liable as well. Imagine some drama goes down in a discord (which always happens) and somebody gets so mad they try to sue.

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
I’m pretty sure discord could be held liable as well. Imagine some drama goes down in a discord (which always happens) and somebody gets so mad they try to sue.
Repealing 230 wouldn't create a "free speech utopia" because Twitter wouldn't be forced to keep conservatives up, it would create an internet where Twitter and Facebook, the only social media sites that would be able to exist, are forced to overly moderate everything, or risk getting sued, and small "free speech alternatives" would just get shut down by the government for allowing right wing conspiracy theories and laughing at minorities.

Plus, Trump isn't going to win the voter fraud cases, a repeal of 230 would truly start in the Biden administration, and he's stated he also wants 230 gone to force social media sites to remove hate speech.

Double post, but Coconut Milk Mommy Tulsi Gabbard backs Trump in section 230's repeal.

Screenshot_20201203-124246_Brave.jpg

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
This might be overly optimistic, but I don't think it'll pass. This time, at least. Trying to hold an important defense bill hostage is a pretty tough sell. As much as people like to complain about Facebook and Twitter (and think that 230 will somehow destroy those sites or whatever) I think people's support for the military is much stronger. At least on the right. I suspect the left will oppose it just because it was something Trump proposed. Trump's inner circle has talked him out of making unpopular decisions at the last hour beforehand, and I could certainly see trying to veto a big defense bill as something they'd want to avoid.

In the future though, hard to tell. Null's post mentioned Biden being supportive of 230, which isn't great. But at the same time, I don't know if he/anyone on his potential administration is passionate enough to push it. And I imagine that, in the beginning at least, there will be a larger focus on Covid relief and other things, so hopefully 230 will be forgotten.

World's Best Dad

We love our cops, our law enforcement.
kiwifarms.net
What the fuck is Trump thinking? What happened to going against what the Dems wanted? They've openly said they want it repealed to police speech more. This isn't even clown world anymore, this is Hell World.

Violent Ken Apologist

ENFP superstar
kiwifarms.net
That's good. Then maybe clients like that can stop freaking logging everything and it can go back to being p2p or self erasing like AIM in the day did. The amount of drama that's shitstirred from allowing logs. It's accessibility has enabled so many creeps, too

Violent Ken Apologist

ENFP superstar
kiwifarms.net
He infected a lot of people. Even /pol/ doesn't seem to care or know how any of this works.
We know but it's more accurate to say that a lot of us think many aspects of modern tech ruined society and we're kind of ok rewinding stuff to a century ago if it means getting rid of a lot of this degeneracy.

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They called his bluff and passed the bill without the section 230 repeal. Ironically this is actually true though. The blue checkmarks would be fucking doomed once Twitter has to pony up the bills for the lolsuits that will be immediately filed against their continual torrent of character assassination. We can just go straight after Twitter itself any time these motherfuckers rev up their hate mob again. Since Twitter itself will have to cough up the money to defend these suits, those blue checkmarks either behave themselves or go the fuck away.

Violent Ken Apologist

ENFP superstar
kiwifarms.net
They called his bluff and passed the bill without the section 230 repeal. Ironically this is actually true though. The blue checkmarks would be fucking doomed once Twitter has to pony up the bills for the lolsuits that will be immediately filed against their continual torrent of character assassination. We can just go straight after Twitter itself any time these motherfuckers rev up their hate mob again. Since Twitter itself will have to cough up the money to defend these suits, those blue checkmarks either behave themselves or go the fuck away.
I know. I've been stalked by a couple of older guys I have evidence abused me when I was a kid but one of them is rich so I'm not really going to push my luck and they've been able to make up anything without hard evidence in the interim. (powerlevelling, but don't address this, not going to talk about it at length anyway...) If this bill is passed, a lot of victims and reformed jerks will get their chance at society without being silenced. Many situations are complicated enough that you can't really call people out willy nilly without triggering a bunch of other things some people aren't brave enough to deal with anyway. Call me a huge pussy for not wanting to get my dick wet in this drama and you'd probably be right. I'm not alone either.

I do think Trump has the best interests of people in mind a lot of the time, which even I as a Trump fan admit is bizarre given his awkward insensitivity. He pulled out of 3rd world nations, is willing to put his own health at risk being president and having his legacy tarnished just so he can give the people what they want. The modern landscape politically is pozzed as hell. I mostly joke when I say it's jewish or a degenerate hellhole, but it is absolutely the latter if aught else. Every country has it's own culture and white culture WAS it's own distinct thing with it's own standards, they worked for us and basically every facet of it has been violated under modern premises. Respect for others is dead.

Oh btw, what do you mean? Called his bluff? Meaning it's over, it's not gonna get repealed? Yuck. Oh well.

Rupert Bear

#nutwooddrip
kiwifarms.net
The US Senate has confirmed Trump's nominee for the FCC, Nathan Simington.

1607468441182.png

https://twitter.com/SenateCloakroom/status/1336432981376983043

https://www.engadget.com/senate-confirms-nathan-simington-fcc-221540315.html (archive)
On Wednesday, the Senate today voted 49-46 to confirm Nathan Simington to a five-year term at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Simington is a proponent of repealing Section 230, a clause within the 1996 Telecommunications Act that protects internet companies from liability on account of their users. His main telecom experience is with the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), an agency within the Commerce Department that serves as the president’s main advisor on telecommunications policy. In September, it came out that Simington had edited a petition the NTIA had sent to the FCC asking the agency to reinterpret Section 230. The petition came after President Trump signed his social media executive order this past May.
President Trump nominated Simington after abruptly withdrawing the renomination of Mike O’Rielly. The move came after the Republican commissioner made a speech in which he said he opposed changes to Section 230. During his confirmation hearing, Simington acknowledged he had played a part in editing the NITA’s petition.

“Nathan Simington is the wrong person, and clearly the wrong person at the wrong time for the FCC,” said Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-Connecticut) in the lead-up to today’s vote. “This nomination is dangerous because it threatens the integrity and political independence of the FCC.”
As Motherboard notes, the fear is that Republicans will use Simington’s confirmation to mire the agency in gridlock. By law, the party that wins the presidential election appoints the head of the agency. But if the Senate doesn’t hold confirmation hearings for President-elect Joe Biden’s pick in the new year, the FCC will be split two to two along party lines once current Chairman Ajit Pai steps down on January 20th. Then, when the term of Democratic Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel ends late next year, there’s the additional possibility Republicans could enter 2022 with a two to one majority at the agency. Whether things play out this way will depend on how the Georgia Senate runoff plays out in January. If Democrats win both available seats, they’ll be able to appoint the candidates they see fit.

Last edited:

WorthlessTrash

The Private Loser Who Chases Public Losers
kiwifarms.net
I know. I've been stalked by a couple of older guys I have evidence abused me when I was a kid but one of them is rich so I'm not really going to push my luck and they've been able to make up anything without hard evidence in the interim. (powerlevelling, but don't address this, not going to talk about it at length anyway...) If this bill is passed, a lot of victims and reformed jerks will get their chance at society without being silenced. Many situations are complicated enough that you can't really call people out willy nilly without triggering a bunch of other things some people aren't brave enough to deal with anyway. Call me a huge pussy for not wanting to get my dick wet in this drama and you'd probably be right. I'm not alone either.

I do think Trump has the best interests of people in mind a lot of the time, which even I as a Trump fan admit is bizarre given his awkward insensitivity. He pulled out of 3rd world nations, is willing to put his own health at risk being president and having his legacy tarnished just so he can give the people what they want. The modern landscape politically is pozzed as hell. I mostly joke when I say it's jewish or a degenerate hellhole, but it is absolutely the latter if aught else. Every country has it's own culture and white culture WAS it's own distinct thing with it's own standards, they worked for us and basically every facet of it has been violated under modern premises. Respect for others is dead.

Oh btw, what do you mean? Called his bluff? Meaning it's over, it's not gonna get repealed? Yuck. Oh well.
Extremely late and gay, but you are an absolute faggot.