Battlefleet Gothic Armada - Grimdark in Space

Ow The Edge

Darko of the Dark
kiwifarms.net
Battlefleet Gothic Armada is a tactical rts game about the factions of Warhammer 40,000 going at each other in space, with all the ridiculously over the top violence that entails. Based on the spinoff miniatures game from Games Workshop itself it released a few years back to modest acclaim:

Focus Home just recently released the sequel, this time with even more grimdark goodness:

I thought it was time we had a thread on it. I've been thinking about buying the second one because I want to take my Tyranid rampages to depths of space, but I haven't heard too much about it from my local group. Kiwis, what have you to say?

O

OB 946

kiwifarms.net
Honestly it isn't very good. Did you ever play Total War: Empire? It's basically naval battles from that reskinned in 40k with a few meme abilities.

RadicalCentrist

kiwifarms.net
Honestly it isn't very good. Did you ever play Total War: Empire? It's basically naval battles from that reskinned in 40k with a few meme abilities.
A shame, I was vaguely interested in it. Games Workshop went through a period where they refused to consider EVER licensing their properties to vidya despite the obvious benefits. That ended around five years ago, when they started letting every shovelware hack have the license.

There's no inbetween with those people.

O

OB 946

kiwifarms.net
A shame, I was vaguely interested in it. Games Workshop went through a period where they refused to consider EVER licensing their properties to vidya despite the obvious benefits. That ended around five years ago, when they started letting every shovelware hack have the license.

There's no inbetween with those people.

It's not shovelware, I wouldn't say. It's a functional game, it doesn't seem incomplete, it just seems shallow. It's the same shit. If you like hardcore competitive games like DotA where you can grind out doing basically the same shit for hundreds of hours to boost that level/mmr/whatever, then you'll like it. The game is about actions per minute and intense micro abuse while spamming the most broken abilities available, like the meme space mine that chaos gets.

Ow The Edge

Darko of the Dark
kiwifarms.net
It's not shovelware, I wouldn't say. It's a functional game, it doesn't seem incomplete, it just seems shallow. It's the same shit. If you like hardcore competitive games like DotA where you can grind out doing basically the same shit for hundreds of hours to boost that level/mmr/whatever, then you'll like it. The game is about actions per minute and intense micro abuse while spamming the most broken abilities available, like the meme space mine that chaos gets.
Are the campaigns any fun? I like the idea of playing my space bugs and literally eating enemy ships whole.

O

OB 946

kiwifarms.net
Are the campaigns any fun? I like the idea of playing my space bugs and literally eating enemy ships whole.

Yeah I mean as fun as they can be. The campaigns allow for some more strategic thinking as well as non-hyper optimal gameplay which means you can actually play the different races like you should.

But, like any competitive multiplayer game, the campaign is not a reason to buy the game. If you don't plan on playing the multiplayer I wouldn't bother wasting the money on the campaign only. Either wait for a hard sale or just steal it from a private tracker or something.

Ow The Edge

Darko of the Dark
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I mean as fun as they can be. The campaigns allow for some more strategic thinking as well as non-hyper optimal gameplay which means you can actually play the different races like you should.

But, like any competitive multiplayer game, the campaign is not a reason to buy the game. If you don't plan on playing the multiplayer I wouldn't bother wasting the money on the campaign only. Either wait for a hard sale or just steal it from a private tracker or something.
Really? That's a shame. I've been watching some cutscenes, and even as a Tyranid player I have to say that the Necron ending cutscene (4:19-5:21) has to be one of the most epic things I've seen in 40k:

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
Played the first, might pirate this one for the campaigns. They scrapped a lot of stuff for single player progression in favor of mp autists that can't bother with leveling. Hard pass on buying.

Forgot to ask what are the SP missions like? I got real tired of playing keep away from Eldar or bum rushing cargo ships away from orks.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
I have to say the MP is actually rather neat. I was pleasantly surprised by how different the factions play given how many of them there are.