Battletech - Also known as Trannytech

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone who corrects or ads to my lore is already a hero in my eyes. I dug out my books you are right the 1g is a thing, before the Grand Dragon.

You are right the Raven is super cappie and a great fluff unit even though the LL one is ok. The game doesn't follow canon to a T so maybe they could wiggle it in. But the prototype and early ravens are just awful, pre XL (not that IS XL is that hot) and over 7 tons used for semi useful EW gear? On a light..

Since the new game mode will apparently need speed (egro lights having a use again) One mech I'd love and is a favorite in all eras to se added is the Pixie (phoenix hawk) not only is it just great looking, it's a wonderfully handy mech. If the mode requires oodles of speed, it's a good commanders ride for scout lances and lighter mechs. If you need speed it's a good flanker to cover larger mechs. Intro tech has a few great options and down the time line it stays great. Also if you remember Crescent Hawks or love to abuse TT, there's the LAM of it and that's stupid nice.

The best thing that ever happened to the 'Goons was Wayne Mother Fucking Waco and not taking their shit.

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
kiwifarms.net
Since the new game mode will apparently need speed (egro lights having a use again) One mech I'd love and is a favorite in all eras to se added is the Pixie (phoenix hawk) not only is it just great looking, it's a wonderfully handy mech. If the mode requires oodles of speed, it's a good commanders ride for scout lances and lighter mechs. If you need speed it's a good flanker to cover larger mechs. Intro tech has a few great options and down the time line it stays great. Also if you remember Crescent Hawks or love to abuse TT, there's the LAM of it and that's stupid nice.
It's doubtful we'll see LAMs again. The ugly reality was that LAMs broke the game in numerous unpleasant ways, and I suspect even the old-school grognards are relieved not to have to deal with them again.

The PXH series was always an awesome workhorse. It wasn't a slugger, but if it got into your back arc it had enough firepower to start chipping away your rear armor nicely.

The best thing that ever happened to the 'Goons was Wayne Mother Fucking Waco and not taking their shit.
I never hated the Dragoons, but they really needed to be taken down a few pegs -- they were practically a Great House in terms of sheer power and influence. They certainly could've dominated any portion of the Periphery they moved into.

Dreamland

Mural of coral and cold
kiwifarms.net
Ok so i got the game and cleared the mission
Where you steal the bigass ship and meet Ms. messiah-complex again.
That fight with the quickdraw was pretty tough, 2 pilots hospitalised and all 4 mechs participating got rekt in one way or another.
I did manage to get recoup most lost equipment, finish a new jenner and get 2 parts from the quickdraw due to a lucky delegging shot. but i still need to find a pair of PPCs somewhere to get the squad at full readiness.

This game can be intense!

Reactions: Bassomatic

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The argo is just the start you have along way to go and can grind as long as you wish.

some quick advice before the dlc and it's patch drop, bulwark is absurdly good get it for most. breeching shot requires multi. do you see rife for abuse? do it.

quick draws are cav mechs. my suggestion all the MLs and SRMs and keep going fast or better yet get better mechs lol.

glad you are now mobile with your own DS upgrading med bay and mech bay are musts on it. morale won't be a big deal but it's cheap to mod.

look for planets with "former star league presence " to grind focus on assisanate and battle and max salvage. Always sell a mech never scrap it.

• Informative
Reactions: Dreamland

Sperglord Dante

Useless Guato
kiwifarms.net
Game's part of GOG's winter sale right now and I'm considering buying it. I need some kiwi guidance:

- Besides the gender shit, is there hamfisted social justice at any point in the main campaign?
- Is there really no white male nor blonde hair option?
- Were the glitches and graphic card overheating addressed?

edit:

- Is the game as ram hungry as they say? can you run it on medium/high settings on 1080p without frame drops on 8GB of ram?

Last edited:

Capsaicin Addict

kiwifarms.net
Game's part of GOG's winter sale right now and I'm considering buying it. I need some kiwi guidance:

- Besides the gender shit, is there hamfisted social justice at any point in the main campaign?
- Is there really no white male nor blonde hair option?
- Were the glitches and graphic card overheating addressed?

edit:

- Is the game as ram hungry as they say? can you run it on medium/high settings on 1080p without frame drops on 8GB of ram?
Point one: Not really. There's no call for 'social awareness', not when you're literally fighting for your lives (and by extension, the life of your employer). I suspect the gender crap was about as much as Weisman would tolerate; the world of BattleTech is not 'enlightened' by any stretch. Even the Federated Suns is ruled by an autocratic despot, albeit a nicer one than most.

Point two: Supposedly this was fixed. I need to fire up BT again and see.

Point three: I wasn't aware of such, so I can't say either way. But...

Point four: I WILL state that I had to upgrade my RAM from 8 to 16 Gigs to get better load times and performance, and I'm running an i7-4790 processor with a GeForce GTX1050Ti.

My advice is to definitely upgrade your RAM if you plan to grab this.

MarineTrainedTard

You got the COVID! Coronavirus, big time!
kiwifarms.net
I still haven't gotten around to playing it. I did google "Battletech SJW" and man people are still salty about *something*. Really makes me want to bump it to the top of my "To Play" list

EDIT: A cursory glance shows people mad that there's a lot of female Mech pilots which is funny cuz IIRC there are canonically a lot of female mech pilots in the old books from the 80s and 90s, and something like a third of the Clan's Khans are women.

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, it's like a 50/50 split on mech pilots canonically. Physical strength and stuff aren't part of it, so anyone can do it.
Getting pissy at there being lots of women means you don't know the source material.

Reactions: RomanesEuntDomus

MarineTrainedTard

You got the COVID! Coronavirus, big time!
kiwifarms.net
Oh, that's right, it's that. Does it even come up beyond that point? Otherwise just pick fucking "he" or "she" and play the game. It seems kind of dumb to fly into a frothing rage over that.

EDIT: In fact, I'd say it's very thin-skinned and hypersensitive to find that upsetting, or, triggering, to use another word. 🤔

Like, if the game FORCED you to use "they" or some made up pronouns and all the good guys were dumb nonbinary transwhatever PoCs and all the bad guys were white dudes, then, sure, I guess, but that? An option at the beginning of the game that doesn't come up again? Pfft.

Last edited:

Capsaicin Addict

kiwifarms.net
Oh, that's right, it's that. Does it even come up beyond that point? Otherwise just pick fucking "he" or "she" and play the game. It seems kind of dumb to fly into a frothing rage over that.

EDIT: In fact, I'd say it's very thin-skinned and hypersensitive to find that upsetting, or, triggering, to use another word. 🤔

Like, if the game FORCED you to use "they" or some made up pronouns and all the good guys were dumb nonbinary transwhatever PoCs and all the bad guys were white dudes, then, sure, I guess, but that? An option at the beginning of the game that doesn't come up again? Pfft.
Like I said, I suspect Jordan Weisman and Catalyst were looking over shoulders.

There's plenty of precedent for strong female rulers... but there's also plenty of precedent for coups, backstabbing, revolts, guerilla warfare, and crimes against humanity. So the Arano Restoration didn't bug me either. And the funny part is that even the characters know that appealing to someone's better nature will only go so far. Remember the trailer where Lady Arano gives this long involved speech, and gets down to the end, and says, 'but if honor will not motivate you... then let's talk money'.

Even in the 31st century, money talks.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Used to play the miniatures based wargame back in the day.
The OP saddens me. Watching my youthful refuge be politicized and infiltrated saddens me.

Capsaicin Addict

kiwifarms.net
Used to play the miniatures based wargame back in the day.
The OP saddens me. Watching my youthful refuge be politicized and infiltrated saddens me.
If it helps, it doesn't look like the woke crowd had a lot of luck beyond shoving a 'they' pronoun into the game. The 'no wypipo' got patched out (presumably because someone pointed out you wouldn't be able to create Victor Steiner-Davion, lulz).

It's very much the same problem those idiots are having with infiltrating 40k. No one cares what your pronouns are when the missiles start flying.

Tags
None