Battletech - Also known as Trannytech

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If it helps, it doesn't look like the woke crowd had a lot of luck beyond shoving a 'they' pronoun into the game. The 'no wypipo' got patched out (presumably because someone pointed out you wouldn't be able to create Victor Steiner-Davion, lulz).

It's very much the same problem those idiots are having with infiltrating 40k. No one cares what your pronouns are when the missiles start flying.

Funny thing is, when they're being ultra woke by genociding the white race in fiction, they're actually agreeing with the 1488 crowd.

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
kiwifarms.net
Funny thing is, when they're being ultra woke by genociding the white race in fiction, they're actually agreeing with the 1488 crowd.
Irony is a beautiful thing.

But yeah, there's still white people, black people, etc in the Inner Sphere. It's just that it's kind of subsumed into what Great House you're a citizen of. People don't hate you 'cause you're black; they hate you because you're from the Draconis Combine and you parked your Dragon in the handicapped slot on Robinson.

And we haven't even gotten into the Clans, have we?

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
kiwifarms.net
There's also a Healthy at Any Size Woman of Peace in a baby blue burka. Almost forgot to mention that. Annoying, but still a solid game.
Thankfully, she's practically a nonentity. Her Sarna page is ridiculously short, and once you've finished all the upgrades on the Argo, you don't have to listen to her beyond her occasional appearance in Flashpoint arcs and the storyline.

It amuses me greatly, though, that the Azami (who are descended from North African Muslims) are under the thumb of the Draconis Combine. I don't think there's any larger Muslim contingent in the Inner Sphere, and the Azami only administer seven worlds under Combine supervision.

RadicalCentrist

kiwifarms.net
Also if you want to run the game on a potato, be sure to avoid urban combats, that shit will grind even good PC's to a halt. Consider a SSD and a memory upgrade, and forget about playing RogueTech.
There's also a Healthy at Any Size Woman of Peace in a baby blue burka. Almost forgot to mention that. Annoying, but still a solid game.
Nigga she THICC
Also I lol'd at her complaints about booze being present. Sounded like something a child would say

Honestly my only real complaint is when that bugman politico starts lamenting how privileged he is when discussing how his family would have him shot on sight for his political affiliation. Like who tf in the real world would talk like this, it was bizarre

Reactions: RomanesEuntDomus

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sorry to resurrect this sickly thread, but has there ever been a game of any sort, physical or digital, that featured Mechs at proper relative size? Like, to illustrate what a Locust would truly look like beside an Atlas?

Snekposter

kiwifarms.net
MechWarrior 5 has been pretty good with that, in my opinion. Some of those light mechs are tiny as all fuck, and can be surprisingly hard to hit when they zoom around at over 100 kph. Wish they had Stingers and Wasps in addition to Locusts though...

• Informative
Reactions: Ted_Breakfast

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bought this game last Christmas and poured 121 hours into it. The game is great, but when I made my character, I did cringe at the "They" option and Dr. Farud is pretty annoying, too.

But I absolutely love my current Mech Loadout with a Marauder for scouting, spotting and sniping (35% chance to hit an aimed shot at the head combined with 2 PPCs and an AC5 is fucking amazing), an Atlas II, a Highlander and an Awesome with 2 LRM20s for fire support, will decimate any hostile unit.

Be that as it may, this game rekindled my love for the TT game, which I played almost 2 decades ago, and I bought a couple dozen miniatures and want to play with friends, however I am using the old rulebook from like 2002, a short glance at "Total Warfare", it seems nothing much has changed, or did it?
What new rulebooks should I get, if any?
The rules used in the video game would seem to translate rather nicely to the boardgame, too. Order of moves according to weight of the mechs, only being able to fire when you walked or jumped, evasion reducing with every attack against the mech, 4 Pilot skills instead of 2... Are these entirely made up new rules for the videogame or is there a rulesystem for CBT that uses these rules?

Anything essential that I should get?

Last edited:
Reactions: Splendid
I always use the snowflake/poc characters as cannon fodder anyways. It'd be alot more effective if the game didn't limit your lance to just 4 mechs. Still, the tumblr mechs soften up the just enough for my assault mech to go ham on the enemy.

I wonder, is there a mod that adds in white characters to the game like the one mod for Stellaris?

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bought this game last Christmas and poured 121 hours into it. The game is great, but when I made my character, I did cringe at the "They" option and Dr. Farud is pretty annoying, too.

But I absolutely love my current Mech Loadout with a Marauder for scouting, spotting and sniping (35% chance to hit an aimed shot at the head combined with 2 PPCs and an AC5 is fucking amazing), an Atlas II, a Highlander and an Awesome with 2 LRM20s for fire support, will decimate any hostile unit.

Be that as it may, this game rekindled my love for the TT game, which I played almost 2 decades ago, and I bought a couple dozen miniatures and want to play with friends, however I am using the old rulebook from like 2002, a short glance at "Total Warfare", it seems nothing much has changed, or did it?
What new rulebooks should I get, if any?
The rules used in the video game would seem to translate rather nicely to the boardgame, too. Order of moves according to weight of the mechs, only being able to fire when you walked or jumped, evasion reducing with every attack against the mech, 4 Pilot skills instead of 2... Are these entirely made up new rules for the videogame or is there a rulesystem for CBT that uses these rules?

Anything essential that I should get?
I miss playing TT too. I've been collecting GW games so long the thought of buying a few miniatures and being set sounds absolutely quaint.

I wound up really enjoying the video game. What really surprised me is how fun piecing together Mechs would be. It added a Pokemon-esque element that tickled my autism. They could release a sequel that was largely the same thing only with bug fixes, less obnoxious loading, and lots more robots to collect (GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL), and I'd eat that up. Maybe add some of the four-legged Mechs...my favorite was always the Goliath.

Last edited:

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Are these entirely made up new rules for the videogame or is there a rulesystem for CBT that uses these rules?
They're specific to the video game.

Also, in my opinion, making your own mechs from the ground up (the rules are in the tech manual and tactical operations) is way cooler than just getting premade mechs.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They're specific to the video game.
That's a bit of a shame, the rules aren't half bad.

Also, in my opinion, making your own mechs from the ground up (the rules are in the tech manual and tactical operations) is way cooler than just getting premade mechs.
I agree, making your own Mechs via the construction rules is a lot of fun... but I have a softspot for some of the original designs...

Reactions: Buttigieg2020

InvertedDickEnthusiast

Trans Inclusionary Radical Misogynist
kiwifarms.net
Making your own mechs would make for a better DLC than these overpriced ones with like 6 mechs each (what are they paying to license these?) even if it were something as simple as part swapping like front mission 1.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Making your own mechs would make for a better DLC than these overpriced ones with like 6 mechs each (what are they paying to license these?) even if it were something as simple as part swapping like front mission 1.
Afaik, the DLC also adds urban battlefields, a flashpoint-system that's sort of like a mini-campaign and the "heavy metal" one adds more weapons, such as Ultra-Autocannons.
Still, a hefty sum. But I plan to pick them up in the next sale, when they are 10 bucks a pop, that seems decent value for my money.

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
My beef with that game is that the mech designs mostly suck. They all look like blocky generic blobs. I should be able at a glance to tell a Shadow Hawk from a Griffin, and in this game I can't. Only the mechs with very non-standard shapes are distinguishable without zooming in, squinting, and mousing over them, and that's really bad when you look at the original mech designs and how distinctive they were.

• Feels

InvertedDickEnthusiast

Trans Inclusionary Radical Misogynist
kiwifarms.net
I've only got 60 hours in it and haven't even beaten the "story" campaign but I still haven't come across the flashpoints and the urban maps are neat but few and far between for the most part, I'd be upset if I didn't get them for $10 a piece, it's also why I'm waiting on half off for heavy metal.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Aren’t those the “unseen” versions/designs they’re not legally allowed to use?
These mech designs are not "unseen" afaik and you can still buy them. Ral Partha still makes them with their old molds. Just so happens that I own them and I absolutely love the designs. The topmost, btw, is from the Jihad Era, so it's way too new to fall into the troublesome period of Robotech designs that caused the copyright clash.

The Marauder has a few newly designed variants (most of them butt ugly, too), but there's newer designs as well, that look sort of like the original.
Like seriously: What is this shit?

The IIC at least attempts to look like the old design.

Thankfully, I bought an originally designed Marauder 15 years ago. Apparently, the figure was so old, it even contains lead.

(This isn't mine, obviously, just I happen to own the same version of the miniature)

My beef with that game is that the mech designs mostly suck. They all look like blocky generic blobs. I should be able at a glance to tell a Shadow Hawk from a Griffin, and in this game I can't. Only the mechs with very non-standard shapes are distinguishable without zooming in, squinting, and mousing over them, and that's really bad when you look at the original mech designs and how distinctive they were.
Yeah, the mechs have this weird new boxy redesign. I don't mind it for some mechs, but they all have this new asthetic, which leaves little variation.
But I do have to say, the new design looks neat for the Jenner and Blackjack. The old Jenner in particular looks kinda silly with that protruding half-globe cockpit. And the new Design for the Stalker is pretty good, too, the old one is terrible.

But overall, it would be nice if the design wasn't so same-y for all mechs. In a perfect world, there'd be mechs from the same type but with small differences in design. Like with the Highlander, where there's the 732 variant (the one you get after raiding that Star Leage stash) and the regular 733 variant.

As an aside, RNG in this game might be a bit of a bitch, but fuck me, if it isn't satisfying to hit an enemy in the cockpit with a Gauss Rifle in the first round.
I especially love the way how Gauss Rifles deal 5 points of internal damage - once again, a feature that would be fucking hilarious in the TT game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted_Breakfast

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
These mech designs are not "unseen" afaik and you can still buy them. Ral Partha still makes them with their old molds. Just so happens that I own them and I absolutely love the designs. The topmost, btw, is from the Jihad Era, so it's way too new to fall into the troublesome period of Robotech designs that caused the copyright clash.

The Marauder has a few newly designed variants (most of them butt ugly, too), but there's newer designs as well, that look sort of like the original.
Like seriously: What is this shit?

The IIC at least attempts to look like the old design.

Thankfully, I bought an originally designed Marauder 15 years ago. Apparently, the figure was so old, it even contains lead.

(This isn't mine, obviously, just I happen to own the same version of the miniature)

Yeah, the mechs have this weird new boxy redesign. I don't mind it for some mechs, but they all have this new asthetic, which leaves little variation.
But I do have to say, the new design looks neat for the Jenner and Blackjack. The old Jenner in particular looks kinda silly with that protruding half-globe cockpit. And the new Design for the Stalker is pretty good, too, the old one is terrible.

But overall, it would be nice if the design wasn't so same-y for all mechs. In a perfect world, there'd be mechs from the same type but with small differences in design. Like with the Highlander, where there's the 732 variant (the one you get after raiding that Star Leage stash) and the regular 733 variant.

As an aside, RNG in this game might be a bit of a bitch, but fuck me, if it isn't satisfying to hit an enemy in the cockpit with a Gauss Rifle in the first round.
I especially love the way how Gauss Rifles deal 5 points of internal damage - once again, a feature that would be fucking hilarious in the TT game.
That new "Marauder" looks like a gangly, pubescent Warhammer.

• Agree
Tags
None