Batwoman on The CW -

Cyril Sneer

The Fuct of Pepsi-Man
kiwifarms.net
That is was the men get for letting spiteful women (suffragettes) vote when they were openly campaigning to fuck men over via Prohibition.
Or in England:

Men: women are too emotionally unstable to vote

Women: procede to throw themselves under racehorses, chain themselves to fences and carry out terrorist bombings

Men: right, women's suffrage it is.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
Or in England:

Men: women are too emotionally unstable to vote

Women: procede to throw themselves under racehorses, chain themselves to fences and carry out terrorist bombings

Men: right, women's suffrage it is.
The suffragettes were the upper class extremists of their day and actually held back women's rights. The suffragists were the large majority of women who wanted the right to vote and they wanted it in concert with working class men as well. The two groups were allies in cause. When you had large numbers of combat-experienced men returning from WWI it lent strength to the common cause with the suffragists and brought about votes for women and working class men. The suffragettes were upper class and didn't want working class men to have the vote and actually worked against it politically. If they hadn't campaigned against it, they could potentially have had votes for women several years earlier. They wanted propertied women to have voting and other rights. Thinking Emillene Pankhurst and her ilk are at all representative of women at the time is wrong. But I think historical accuracy isn't your main interest here.

Cyril Sneer

The Fuct of Pepsi-Man
kiwifarms.net
men: hurr durr bat woman bad because women unstable!1

also men: nr. 1 in commiting suicide, mass shootings & making dumb tv shows & movies
Suddenly, a wild tu quoque fallacy approaches.

Thinking Emillene Pankhurst and her ilk are at all representative of women at the time is wrong.
I don't think it is, in the greater scheme of things. I don't think the historical record bears out that democracy has been improved by the universal suffrage of women (and probably not by the universal suffrage of men, either, but that's not quite the same issue). 🤔

But I think historical accuracy isn't your main interest here.
If we're going to harp on about historical accuracy, let's not leave the anti-suffrage women's movement out of the discussion.

Last edited:

Comicsgeist

Yeah, no.
kiwifarms.net
The suffragettes were the upper class extremists of their day and actually held back women's rights. The suffragists were the large majority of women who wanted the right to vote and they wanted it in concert with working class men as well. The two groups were allies in cause. When you had large numbers of combat-experienced men returning from WWI it lent strength to the common cause with the suffragists and brought about votes for women and working class men. The suffragettes were upper class and didn't want working class men to have the vote and actually worked against it politically. If they hadn't campaigned against it, they could potentially have had votes for women several years earlier. They wanted propertied women to have voting and other rights. Thinking Emillene Pankhurst and her ilk are at all representative of women at the time is wrong. But I think historical accuracy isn't your main interest here.
The suferagettes were the proto SJW's of their day with a similarly odd definition of 'equality', one which only extends as far as their interests are served, funnily enough.
One of the big hold-ups for sufferage was the fear among many women that with full rights, would come the full responsibilities of civic participation, namely the draft. Many women, looking at the broken men returning home after WW1, did not find the idea that their name could be plucked from the electoral register to go and die in a muddy trench in the Somme all that appealing.
That little factoid is somewhat revealing about women and power. They've a desire for it that's for sure, but it is not equal to their willingness to shoulder the responsibilities of power.
This is thematically evident throughout this horrible show. Everybody hates Batwoman, not for her gender or sexuality, but because of her sense of entitlement to power without earning it or taking responsibility for it and her preference for wielding it mostly towards her own egotistical ends.

Iron Hamster

Calculated chaos
kiwifarms.net
I haven't watched any of this show but have seen the beginning of the Supergirl series. I'm watching the Crisis series now and couldn't figure out what seemed out of place. Then it hit me............when did the wahmen start wearing make up like they are going out on a date? Supergirl series was never like that in the beginning. I almost didn't recognize her.

Reactions: AmarettoPie

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Okay, I am late to the party here as I never bothered with the show given the shitstorm surrounding it and how obnoxious the show seemed to be.

That said, I'll ask here; Is it true that they did an episode where Batwoman, the masked vigilante trying to keep her identity a secret, called a press conference to let the world know she was a lesbian?

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay, I am late to the party here as I never bothered with the show given the shitstorm surrounding it and how obnoxious the show seemed to be.

That said, I'll ask here; Is it true that they did an episode where Batwoman, the masked vigilante trying to keep her identity a secret, called a press conference to let the world know she was a lesbian?
It was more a magazine interview, but yes. The female news reporter that was giving the story even said “Can’t we just leave politics out of superheroes?” like it was some super clever “take that” to people who complain about comics these days.

• Lunacy
Reactions: Vault Boy

The Nothingness

The one with no body!
kiwifarms.net
It was more a magazine interview, but yes. The female news reporter that was giving the story even said “Can’t we just leave politics out of superheroes?” like it was some super clever “take that” to people who complain about comics these days.
Plus that reporter was none other than Rachel Maddow.

Reactions: Cyril Sneer

It cropped up a couple of times, I think the last one made the most sense because she did a full interview..with Kara(Supergirl) that was printed in a major magazine (the one Supergirl works for).

The thing would work better if they focused on her life as Batwoman vs Her life as Not Batwoman and she doesn't want the mask to completely subsume her life like Uncle Bruce. It would be a passable show if they didn't do shit like that every couple of episodes. The actual Villain dynamic has some moments of being interesting and she has a few good monologues where she is "Talking" to Bruce about some of the stress being Batwoman puts her under.

And the last episode left off did leave off on an interesting moment seeing as she found out creepy doctor dude who kidnapped her sister and imprisoned her for 12 years basically making her a slave kept the head of her dead mother in a freezer for the possible intent of using her mother's face to make his mother beautiful again and choked him to death.

There are some cool ideas in this show..but the writing staff isn't good enough for those ideas. It is Tolerable if you skip the stupid 2 Lesbian bullshit episodes.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, tbh I think pulling more from that would have been a great idea. Especially since the coloring of her suit is akin to Terry's suit (what with the bat being Red)
Hell they even had old man Bruce (played by Kevin Conroy himself) in the Crisis event.... who then turned out to be a complete autist and was killed off in the most anticlimactic way ever.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Cyril Sneer
Tags
None