Best Dark/Gritty/Fucked-up Music - What music do you listen to when you hate yourself?

WEEDle

kiwifarms.net
If you want to hear some really scuzzy lo fi punk from the late seventies then The Mentally Ill are for you. Gacy's Place is the best album. The lyrics are fucked up and the guitar sounds broken.

Give Her The D

Amputee without a Soul
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even if it's a "you're fucking behind my back" type of song, this came out my senior year of high school, so I guess that's why I listen?

Blini Cat

i;m thinkin about thos blini
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this qualifies, but in a similar vein to some of the other early industrial/noise stuff earlier in the thread, I've always found this track by Throbbing Gristle to be pretty spooky. It makes the rounds every now and then when people are discussing creepy music.

Included in the liner notes was this:
…By far the worst is the hamburger lady, and because of shortage right now of ‘qualified technicians’, e.g. technicians who can work with her and keep their last meal down, Screwloose Lauritzen and I have been alternating nights with her, unrelievedly. If you put a 250-lb meatloaf in the oven and then burned it and then followed that by propping it up on a potty-chair to greet you at 11pm each night, you would have some description of these past two weeks. Which is to say the worst I seen since viet napalms. When somebody tells you that there is a level of pain beyond which the human mind cannot retain consciousness, please tell them to write me. In point of fact this lady has not slept more than 3-5 minutes at a stretch since she came to us – that was over two weeks ago and, thanks to medical advances, there is no end in sight; from the waist (waste?) up everything is burned off, ears, nose etc – lower half is untouched and that, I guess, is what keeps her alive. I took one guy in to help me change tubes and he did alright, that is alright till he came out, then he spotted one of the burn nurses (pleasant smiling zombies) eating a can of chili-mac at the desk, and that did it: he flashed on the carpet. It is fucking insane is what it is.
TG were pretty fucked up guys in general - iirc one of their songs (Persuasion, I think) had this sample of a child screaming or something and it supposedly was audio that could only have been given to them directly by some well known child abuser or something. Sort of funny that the one guy in the band trooned out, ahead of his time honestly.

Give Her The D

Amputee without a Soul
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much any edgy post-grunge from the late 90's to 2003-ish is a good thing to listen when feeling shitty.

Chevelle's been one I've gotten into recently.

Tsumungo

kiwifarms.net
If you want to hear some really scuzzy lo fi punk from the late seventies then The Mentally Ill are for you. Gacy's Place is the best album. The lyrics are fucked up and the guitar sounds broken.

I heard Steve Albini bring up this album in an interview with Nardwaur, nice to see it pop up here.
Speaking of Steve Albini, his music fits the topic of this thread.

The NIN broken EP is pretty damn good in that regard but it's not the same without the music video. The Downward Spiral is dark as well lyricwise but it's not as heavy as the Broken EP is from beginning to end.

Classic Skinny Puppy (which Trent was influenced by) also fits the bill well. Gritty industrial beats with dark lyrics.
The Fragile is another favoritie of mine from NIN, even if it's not nearly as aggressive as the other two you posted. Ministry is another great industrial rock band, their late 80's to early 90's material is some of the best the genre has to offer imo.

WEEDle

kiwifarms.net
Interesting to know Albini listened to The Mentally Ill. Now that you mention it I can hear some parallel between these songs:

Also Ministry is a good choice.

Reactions: Desire Lines

Sexy Times Hitler

WELL
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you've ever wanted to hear someone losing their mind set to scuzzy, complex noise rock, then Oxbow is the band for you.

Also, this is their lead singer:

WEEDle

kiwifarms.net
Detention were an American punk band active in the early to mid eighties.

They made this amusing song to mock popular dead musicians.

Lyrics:
JIMI HENDRIX AND JANIS JOPLIN AND KEITH MOON AND ELVIS PRESLEY ARE DEAD. PULLED THE PLUG ON THEMSELVES. DEAD ROCK N ROLLERS THEY WERE OUTTA-CONTROLLERS, PLAYED THE DRUG GAME BUT THEY COULDNT MAINTAIN AND NOW THEYRE DEAD. OFFED THEMSELVES FOR THE BIG BUZZ. JIMMY MORRISON AND SID VICIOUS AND JOHN BELUSHI AND JOHN BONHAM WERE WEAK. COULDNT TAKE IT AT THE PEAK. DEAD ROCK N ROLLERS THEY WERE OUTTA-CONTROLLERS, I GUESS THEY FELT LAME SO THEY SNUFFED THEIR BRAINS AND NOW THEY'RE DEAD. WHY COULDNT IT BE BARRY MANILOW? I MEAN I WAS NEVER CRAZY ABOUT JOHN LENNON, BUT AT LEAST HE DIDNT DROWN TO DEATH IN HIS OWN PUKE. AND WHAT ABOUT YOU, JIM CARROLL? ALL YOUR FRIENDS HAVE. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? DO IT!! DEAD ROCK N ROLLERS THEY WERE OUTTA-CONTROLLERS, PLAYED THE FINAL SOLUTION, MASSIVE MIND POLLUTION AND THEYRE DEAD.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino