Best Dark/Gritty/Fucked-up Music - What music do you listen to when you hate yourself?

Welcome to Matt Elliot.

Make yourself very sad, first. I recommend dwelling on death, or having an argument with a friend. Then get drunk.
Sit through an album or two in one go, doing nothing but listening. You zone out.

Matt Elliot's music does have some weaknesses. He's not about lyrics or melody so much as slowly, gradually crafting an atmosphere. It's "harder" to listen to his music in the same way as it's harder to listen to classical music than pop. I enjoyed it the first time I stumbled across it and still think it's very good, but it's the sort of thing that might have to catch you at the right time to leave the same impact. But yeah, his music is basically a type of folk rock, but it reminds me a lot of prog rock too.

Edit:
If you don't have the patience for that, listen to at least these four individual songs:

Last edited:

saisegeha

motel money buffet madness
kiwifarms.net

Edgelord reporting in. May post more later on.

Last edited:

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Really surprised these obvious choices haven't been posted yet.
And of course, who could forget Kurt Cobain's suicide song.
This one doesn't sting as much since the guy who wrote it is still alive but it's inevitable it'd end up here either way.

NoSleep

Fresh out of fucks forever.
kiwifarms.net
Nicole Dollanganger. All of her music has to do with eating disorders, cum, dog piss, religion, bullying, death, rape, decomposing, incest, depression.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I heard Steve Albini bring up this album in an interview with Nardwaur, nice to see it pop up here.
Speaking of Steve Albini, his music fits the topic of this thread.

The Fragile is another favoritie of mine from NIN, even if it's not nearly as aggressive as the other two you posted. Ministry is another great industrial rock band, their late 80's to early 90's material is some of the best the genre has to offer imo.
If you like NIN and Skinny Puppy, check out Gary Numan’s more recent stuff. (Yes, the guy who did Cars back in the day!) The album Splinter (Songs from a Broken Mind) is up there with Broken, and the song Love Hurt Bleed kicks major ass.

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I expected to see Daughters and Swans in this thread and I was not disappointed.

Michael Gira is just entirely made of depression from head to toe, isn't he?

Ilsa kicks ass. I shit you not, this is a cover of a Robert Parsons piece from the 1500s.

No, really.

Let's see what else I've got in my "unrelentingly dark" bin:

Can't beat the classics:

Tags
None