Best Legend of Zelda game. -

Which Legend of Zelda game is best?

• The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
@UnKillFill but BOTW apparently is emulatable fine. Just sayin.
It emulates very well, setting it up takes a while because it needs a hodge-podge of other programs to hook into the emulator, it's not hard to do but there's a few gotcha moments setting it up. Gyroscopic puzzles are a pain in the ass as well but that can be solved by either using a steam controller or a smartphone to get the gyro readings.

Samuel Belmont

It's like one of my Japanese animes.
kiwifarms.net
I grew up in a time when story wasn't all that important..when you can just go into a cave, some oldfag gives you a wooden sword and you're off. But for me, Link to the Past has the kind of polish and style you want in something like LoZ. It was the first to have 'that' kind of build-up, it really set you down in a world the way only Final Fantasy 2 or 3 did before. You really felt the stress of being a Hero. They have included that aspect in every game since.

EDIT: I should say I am currently playing Link Between Worlds and find it just as fascinating some many decades later. The gimmick is marvelous.

Mathas

Fiend Seeker
kiwifarms.net
In all honesty, I don't really have a favorite. I just like the isometric-style Zelda games. The 3d ones are decent, fun games, but the isometric games are what I think of when I hear "Zelda".
Since I only have one vote and can't simultaneously vote for every isometric game, I voted for A Link Between Worlds because I felt bad it had 0 votes, and imo it's probably the best Zelda game to come out since Minish Cap.

UnKillFill

Go home, Steven...
kiwifarms.net
I recently replayed Links Awakening. It was my first Zelda, and it still has a special place in my heart... But I vastly prefer the original version (which is to say the non-GBC version.) The select/screen hopping glitch alone added hours of extra fun trying to break the game.

The new remake that just came out can just fuck right off with its shitty art style.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
I think which Zelda game you like is the one you grew up with. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask would be mine since the N64 was my major console experience as a child. For me OoT pioneered 3D world gameplay and did it well enough that its still playable for today standards while MM had a pretty unique concept that help it separate it from being an asset flip.

I was also put the Oracle games as well for growing up. I didn't have Link's Awaking but for GB/GBC game, the Oracle games are great adventure games on a simple handheld and the bonus stuff was pretty sweet even if you had to use passwords.

Also that LA remake looks like a 3DS game ported on the switch with a 60$ price tag.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Also that LA remake looks like a 3DS game ported on the switch with a 60$ price tag.
It very much is, I bought it for the artbook edition through which somehow was being sold for the base $60 for awhile on amazon so they never charged me extra.

The exceptional individuals calling it "toyetic" are wrong if they wanted shit to look like toys they would have fucking bothered to add toy joints and visible articulation much like the Toy Story world in Kingdom Hearts 3.

The art style mostly comes from them probably not being able to take the design sketches and make proper 3d models out of them. They have the Depth of Field Camera filter but even if it was supposed to resemble something like a model train display with scale miniatures you would still need a whole lot more detail. All the character models are basically ass.

And I think it's most definitely on Nintendo's design end that this game suffered out of laziness. The Character sketches and drawings are very lively and you could have most definitely worked for a top down game because LBW did the same exact thing. The final models are very lifeless and it really shows how much of a downgrade happened.

Last edited:

Colloid

This is the baby sun now. Feel old yet?
kiwifarms.net
My favorite Zelda games are the ones that give you a lot of freedom to explore the world at your own pace, have lots of good side content, and don't padlock large chunks of the world behind item and dungeon progression. Because of that my personal top three are Wind Waker, BotW, and ALBW in that descending order. Wind Waker is also my top pick because of how expressive Link is in that one (even though he acts like a special needs kid from time to time). I know he's supposed to be a blank slate avatar, but making him completely deadpan about everything around him is so boring.

Daddy's Little Kitten

Choke me daddy
kiwifarms.net
Ocarina of Time. A Link to the Past comes as a close second.
I don't own a Switch so no opinion on BotW.

I haven't finished a few. From the top of my head: Oracle of Ages and Seasons (I didn't own a GBC growing up), Twilight Princess (I don't know why I haven't finished this honestly. Probably laziness), Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks.

My problem with Skyward and the DS games are the controls. How the fuck can I play a Zelda game waving my arms like a sped? Fucking tracing with the stylus? In my opinion, Zelda games aren't meant for gimmicky controls.

Really like a Link Between Worlds, Minish Cap, Wind Waker, Link's Awakening (currently replaying).

Zelda 1 is what it is. I remember getting it from KB Toys when I got gifted a Nintendo. Didn't finish it until I reached adulthood.

Zelda 2 is too difficult, Majora's depresses me for some reason, and we don't speak of the CD-I.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I hate to be a basic bitch with my answer, but it is either Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time for me. Those are the two gold standard Zelda games. Link to the Past basically perfected the 2D Zelda game with far expanded on everything the original game was, and Ocarina of Time set the standard for 3D Zelda games.

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd lean a little bit to Link to the Past because I prefer that generation of consoles and game play.

As for the other ones I've played, I haven't played them all, but I can honestly say I've enjoyed every Zelda game I've played.
  • The Legend of Zelda = I mean, its a classic for a reason. It is one of the most fun and engaging games on the original NES and created a legacy that continues to this day. And you gotta love the set up. The game is basically "Here's your sword (assuming you figure out enough to go in the cave) and go questing bitch!" without telling you anything. There is a lot more hand holding in video games that have come since, so to see something basically drop you in the middle of nowhere with no idea where to go is pretty neat.
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link = Its considered the black sheep, but for what it is, I found it enjoyable. It is hard as balls though. I could only beat it with the help of Game Genie.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening = Nice to know that Zelda can work on handhelds too. Very enjoyable and fun game with a little bit of a different flare than the standard Zelda game.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask = This game is getting more and more love as the years go on, and yeah, it is good. It is a little short though. I remember the first time I played through it, I was like "Wait, I'm at the end already". I'm used to Zelda games lasting a little longer. Still though, it is a fun and creepy game.
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker = Getting my complaint out of the way, I HATE SAILING in this game. Absolutely fucking hate it. It is so tedious, and it doesn't help that you have to buy your overworld map in sections and change wind directions every couple of minutes, making the process even more tedious. I don't think I have ever been happier getting a Zelda item in my life than when I got the teleport song in this game. All of that said, the dungeons are fun, the gameplay is great, and the look of it is a nice "storybook come to life" visual style that I liked.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess = I really liked this one a lot. It felt like a perfect sequel to Ocarina with its upgraded visuals and style. I loved all the side quests, the vastness of this version of Hyrule, the combat functions, the transformation to a wolf aspect, the items (Bomb Arrows and Double Clawshot are my jam) and the puzzles were just as good as ever. Loved this whole experience. Oh, and this game has the Malo Mart theme, so it wins everything. NOTE: I only played the GameCube version, which I've been told is better than the Wii version.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword = Overall, really good, but I had some issues getting the motion controls to work (getting a forward stab to work at parts where I absolutely needed to do it was a bitch), and the world wasn't quite as large as I was hoping given the set up. Also, after being able to run and slash my sword in Twilight Princess, I'm surprised they didn't keep that in the control scheme for every game that followed. Oh well. But yeah, the boss fights in this one were a lot of fun, and the dungeons and puzzle solving are great too.
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds = Basically, it is Link to the Past 2. My only major knock on it is that Hyrule is almost exactly the same as it was in LTTP, making it feel a little less original. However, I loved that I could (mostly) pick the order of the dungeons myself, and the functions, weapons, dungeons, and puzzles all worked for me too. I also dug having to rent weapons (initially) as that required a bit more strategy and trial and error, which only made it more fun for me.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild = In many ways, this is the true sequel to the original game. It puts you right in the middle of the world with nothing and you have to go figure it out and shape your own adventure. The world here is a blast to explore with new surprises around every turn. I also LOVED that weapons wear down and break, which adds to the strategizing and importance of collecting and discovering. This is the only Zelda game I've played where I didn't get every single item or special feature because there is just so much to explore and discover that I never got around to it (Is it true that there are 900 Koroks? Jeez). My only complaint is that the main dungeons are a little dry and uninteresting. The shrines are quick little delights, and Hyrule Castle this time around is awesome, but something was really lacking in the 4 main dungeons.

UnKillFill

Go home, Steven...
kiwifarms.net
I never played windwaker. I have it on emulator, but I still dont know if I can bring myself to play it. After I beat oracle of ages again I'm considering either that or twilight princess.

Autumnal Equinox

Your Thomas hawk, sir....
kiwifarms.net
My favorite is Link to the Past. Ocarina of Time and Link's Awakening closely follow. I've been wanting to give Majora's Mask another try, I couldn't really get into it when it was new and haven't played it since then. It's not one of my favorites, but I also feel Zelda 2 on the NES gets an unfair rep. It's a decent game that tried something different. BotW doesn't really interest me.

Reactions: MsStevieMarie

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild = In many ways, this is the true sequel to the original game. It puts you right in the middle of the world with nothing and you have to go figure it out and shape your own adventure. The world here is a blast to explore with new surprises around every turn. I also LOVED that weapons wear down and break, which adds to the strategizing and importance of collecting and discovering. This is the only Zelda game I've played where I didn't get every single item or special feature because there is just so much to explore and discover that I never got around to it (Is it true that there are 900 Koroks? Jeez). My only complaint is that the main dungeons are a little dry and uninteresting. The shrines are quick little delights, and Hyrule Castle this time around is awesome, but something was really lacking in the 4 main dungeons.
This is triggering my autism because this is not true.

Now I've done the original Zelda 100% including the second quest, you have some pathways to choose on what you can tackle but in the end you have to do all the dungeons anyways. All these dungeons are structured be it first or second quest. BOTW has less dungeons than the first zelda and all the dungeons are also much shorter than the originals.

As far as surprises go, there are none. I took time to collect everything, this is the zelda with the least amount of surprises. The enemy variety sucks and everything you encounter within the first hour will be the same guys you encounter in the last dungeon. NES Zelda has far more enemy variety and also does upgrades properly. BOTW has a shitty form of progression when it comes to inventory space being the only thing you get. The Hero's Sword and Hyrule shield are the only upgrades in the game outside of the two horses and even then the shield can break(and thus you need to buy a new one) and the sword depowers after it's energy is spent making them closer to side grades rather than true upgrades.

All the locations pretty much suck outside of the Gerudo area. You have that fishing village which serves no purpose, the non-major locations are all model cut and pastes, majority of the armor sets you buy at stores with very few of them being rewards for exploring the world. to 100% the map I went around and found every location in the game while collecting the 900 Korok seeds along the way as well as finishing all the shrines. 80% of the locations are burned out buildings, they're not interesting to explore and really don't hide any real secrets. They did not use the open world space wisely. At most you'll find a wizrobe enemy with a wand you can take but every destroyed building has one of these fuckers around, so half your inventory will be wand weapons.

The quest chains pale in comparison to stuff like Majora's mask with most of them being collect 10X of something and only like 1 or 2 rewarding you with a permanent armor piece like the ice and sand shoes.

The game lacks real variety and it's shallow as hell. Spend time 100%ing the game and doing everything and you'll find just how limited the game is in it's scope. It's very very easy to find everything in the game but it is fucking tedious, A zelda game should not be tedious but they succeeded in making it one.

Pissmaster General

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I've been playing Zelda 2 lately and having a pretty good time whenever I wasn't being frustrated, and thank Christ it's on the Switch's emulator thing because fuck Zelda 2 with a pitchfork if you have to play it without Game Genie or save states. The dickish game design ruined an otherwise pretty good game.

-The entire game has an experience points system and you have to level up but there are some enemies, even in the very first palace, that actually take away experience points when they hit you
-Your experience points to the next level also reset every time you get a game over or save & quit
-There's one town where you have to find a mirror by crouching and slashing your sword under a table in a random house. There's no indication you're supposed to do exactly that, considering everything you've found before has been by exploring the world and finding it in the end of some cave. That's also the only item in the entire game you find that way
-Every time you get a game over you start back at the first palace and have to walk pretty far if you've made it to the eastern part of the map
-No health pickups
-Only way to heal yourself is with the Life spell which you can only get if you do the aforementioned Mirror bullshit
-There are magic refills, but they're rare and don't recover much at all (except for the much rarer red ones)
-Outside of palaces, there are a total of four extra lives to be found in the entire game, and they're gone for good once you find them
-No maps whatsoever, and the temples look less distinct room-by-room than the ones in Zelda 1, which did have maps
-Later temples do some of that trapdoor shit where you'll fall through an invisible pit in the floor and get set back but also sometimes this is what you're supposed to do to progress
-They also have dead ends and some purposefully shitty things like throw enemies that drain your magic power and then stick you in a place where you have to cast a certain spell to progress, and if you didn't know that beforehand you're most likely drained of all your magic and flat-out fucked (like near the end of the Three-Eye Rock palace where you fall down that one pit and have to cast Fairy to fly through that one gap in the wall)

It's weird to say how Zelda 2 is only a good game now that we have the internet and emulator luxuries to mitigate its problems, but it really wouldn't have taken much to make it significantly easier, and that might have cemented it as a good game in the eyes of the public.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino