Biggest bullshit in a video game -

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The way "Realistic" difficulty works in the original Deus Ex. It just increases the likelyhood of you getting headshot, which means an instant death if it's with an opponent using a sniper rifle. Walking around a corner and getting immediately domed is a pleasure you can experience in the very first level with the sniper patrolling the long pathway flanking the statue base, since it has little cover, and especially as you lack the weapon skills to really deal with him at that time, it becomes a pure save scum moment as you stand still for ten seconds to try to get the accuracy to deal with him and he pops you from half-way across the level. Good times.

Silver Chariot

Oi Josuke! I used ZA HANDO to erase our avatars!
kiwifarms.net
If anyone's played Fire Emblem after Awakening, it's the difference in difficulty between Hard and Lunatic/Maddening.

Sometimes I wish there was a Custom difficulty setting, honestly.

• Agree
Reactions: d12

Shield Breaker

^_^
kiwifarms.net
Leveling in Oblivion. It's like the most autistic idea for leveling ever. I used to play 2nd edition AD&D, and leveling up there was simpler. I know people hated how simple Skyrim's system was, but surely there's a happy middle ground.

Speaking of Soulsborne enemies...
View attachment 1094440
Also, I don't get how the fuck everyone says the Flamelurker is the hardest Demon's Souls boss when the Maneaters are the very next level and fucking Hobbes tiger pounce you off the stage. I had to grind and upgrade one of my swords so I could just slice through the first one before the second one even had a chance to approach me.
Demon's Souls was my second Soulsborne game, and so I didn't find either of those that difficult. World Tendency on the other hand...

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
This is probably a "me" issue but I fucking hate it every time it happens.

Sometimes when I play RPGs, I get stuck, as we all do. And when I get stuck on a particularly tricky fight I want to look up possible ways to beat the boss/enemy. And most of the solutions involve obscure shit like completing sidequests I didn't know about or crafting items I don't know how to get and would tack on an hour or two of grinding if I want to get whatever the solution recommends.

There's nothing more soul crushing than getting stuck in an RPG and you don't know how to get past something because someone else who knows the game better than you do has a solution that's way out of your grasp unless you're willing to sink more time out of your life to get it.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
Legendary difficulty on the OG Halo 2. Holy fuck, why'd they think adding a narrow alleyway full of enemies with long range hitscan weapons that instakill you if they so much as graze your little toe was a good idea?
At least you can use some speedrunning tactics to skip past parts like that and some of Gravemind.

Shit like the final fight on Regret and the beginning of Gravemind had no such luxuries, you needed RNGesus to smile upon you.

The Shadow

What a time to be alive.
kiwifarms.net
The way "Realistic" difficulty works in the original Deus Ex. It just increases the likelyhood of you getting headshot, which means an instant death if it's with an opponent using a sniper rifle. Walking around a corner and getting immediately domed is a pleasure you can experience in the very first level with the sniper patrolling the long pathway flanking the statue base, since it has little cover, and especially as you lack the weapon skills to really deal with him at that time, it becomes a pure save scum moment as you stand still for ten seconds to try to get the accuracy to deal with him and he pops you from half-way across the level. Good times.
Medal of Honor Allied Assault has a mission that's basically the same save-scumming through a town full of snipers.

• Agree
Reactions: The 8 of Spades

TheGreatCitracett

After 5 years, my avatar needed a vacation.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't even remember the name of it now, but it was a war game on the original xbox. It was set in the present day, and made a point of being "realistic" which meant one shot could and would pretty much always kill you. Which happened all the time. I remember that being a selling point or at least being mentioned a lot.

Also you had to keep your squad members alive by healing them. You'd usually get shot and die before you could. But they couldn't and wouldn't heal you. They'd just sort of run up to you, stand there and watch you die in agony. Which took a while if it wasn't a headshot.

The real bullshit though was that the enemies seemed to play by video game rules, which meant you could shoot the hell out of them and they just wouldn't die. Plus they had excellent aim and could regain health.

I got it for like $5 and traded it back in after maybe a week.

• Horrifying
Reactions: FuckedUp

Cod of War

kiwifarms.net
I can't even remember the name of it now, but it was a war game on the original xbox. It was set in the present day, and made a point of being "realistic" which meant one shot could and would pretty much always kill you. Which happened all the time. I remember that being a selling point or at least being mentioned a lot.

Also you had to keep your squad members alive by healing them. You'd usually get shot and die before you could. But they couldn't and wouldn't heal you. They'd just sort of run up to you, stand there and watch you die in agony. Which took a while if it wasn't a headshot.

The real bullshit though was that the enemies seemed to play by video game rules, which meant you could shoot the hell out of them and they just wouldn't die. Plus they had excellent aim and could regain health.

I got it for like $5 and traded it back in after maybe a week.
Got me thinking of those Operation Flashpoint games. Xbox has OF: Elite, that it?

The 8 of Spades

Knows Where Peter Popoff's Miracle Spring Is.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Titanfall 2, while I love it, seen to have an issue with attack damage. You'll surf through someone dumping 20 bullets into you or multiple attacks on your Titian and then in your next respawn, you'll catch 4 bullets (no headshot) and die or someone oneshots your Titan the second it lands. It's fucking annoying because I'm playing it constantly and it doesn't make much sense sometimes.

Reactions: Shadepen

DukeOfNimonia

kiwifarms.net
Pitfall. That game sucks. It had a VERY unforgiving design. The traps were numerous and relentless. If I had a nickel for every time I ragequit that game as a kid, I'd be one richass motherfucker.

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
Another thing I found bullshit:
The fact that the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass is timed. I get it, the main thing is the hourglass, and it's one of the main dungeons, but it's still a load of absolute bullshit, especially when I was a kid. I hardly even play it anymore.

2020Suicide

kiwifarms.net
How about when the game doesnt mention locking you into an area or that you just passed the point of no return.
?

In Arkham Origins roughly the last third of the main plot essentially locks you into going from one room to the next never letting you get back to the open world, so any side missions you wanted to complete or upgrades you wanted to get are essentially failed. And they never warn you about this occurring either. The devs ( a different studio from rocksteady) explained it away with (muh replayability) essentially saying you could just go back and do it all over again in your new game+. Which is such a bullshit way of doing things.

Having said that, i do wish rocksteady came out with a new game, the first two arkham games were amazing, and the plot was good in origins, and knight looked beautiful throughout, its exactly like we all imagined as a kid, video games looking like they did in the super high quality cutscenes.

I honestly dont know how a game studio stays in business not releasing a single game in over 5 years.

Tags
None