Biggest bullshit in a video game -

Livecorpse

kiwifarms.net
Mogenar in Metroid Prime 3.

Why do we need a boss that:
Has four orbs that must be destroyed to expose his weak spots.
Has weak spots that have to be destroyed in Hypermode (which costs 100 energy to activate).
Can regenerate the orbs.
Has shields that cover the orbs about half the time.
Turns invincible every time you destroy the weak spots.
Doesn't give you much opportunity to get health refills.

• Agree
Reactions: Medafag

emo goff

local bridge cybergoth
kiwifarms.net
Divinity Original Sin 2-
Final boss fight before you ascend to godhood. Where you have to basically fight every boss you encountered in the previous Acts all thrown together in a divine moshpit, which somehow have been resurrected by this OP mage dude all while a giant hydra thing spews one-shot poison at you. And it's a turn based game so you have to sit and watch yourself get ko'ed before you even have a chance. And if you don't have certain skills ready to go (teleport ones) you are basically done.

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You kill the Taurus demon, you follow the path and meet a jolly fellow who loves the sun for some reason. You turn around, take two steps onto the bridge and FUCK YOU YOU'RE SUDDENLY ON FIRE AND DEAD. I hope you spent your souls before you got vaporised, because you're gonna get fucking nuked again trying to reclaim them.

And people say Dark Souls is "difficult but fair"?

Last edited:

Battlecruiser3000ad

greetings frum india i hate gays
kiwifarms.net
Thanks to my exceptional individual brain, I can't really deal with timers in games in any other way than beelining for the end, even running past enemies to save seconds, even if I know I can afford fighting everything and even doing some exploring. Doesn't matter if I have 10 minutes, if you time it I'm straight to the finish like there's no tomorrow. If I know beforehands a game is timed or relies on timers a lot, I never buy it or play it. Like, I know you don't really have to worry about the water timer in Fallout 1, but I still never finished the game and instead played F2 10 times over the years.

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
You kill the Taurus demon, you follow the path and meet a jolly fellow who loves the sun for some reason. You turn around, take two steps onto the bridge and FUCK YOU YOU'RE SUDDENLY ON FIRE AND DEAD. I hope you spent your souls before you got vaporised, because you're gonna get fucking nuked again trying to reclaim them.

And people say Dark Souls is "difficult but fair"?
You're supposed to be wary of dragons since seeing the first one, but the devs decided the best way to let you know what's about to happen by placing archers on the bridge shooting at you, encouraging you put your shield up and approach cautiously.

You didn't need those souls, right?

Reactions: Shield Breaker

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
The way "Realistic" difficulty works in the original Deus Ex. It just increases the likelyhood of you getting headshot, which means an instant death if it's with an opponent using a sniper rifle. Walking around a corner and getting immediately domed is a pleasure you can experience in the very first level with the sniper patrolling the long pathway flanking the statue base, since it has little cover, and especially as you lack the weapon skills to really deal with him at that time, it becomes a pure save scum moment as you stand still for ten seconds to try to get the accuracy to deal with him and he pops you from half-way across the level. Good times.
Huh. I play Deus Ex on realistic because it's easier and feels less random.

Biggest bullshit in games would be the entirety of the 90's on PC. Even in good games there would be some colossal bullshit at some point that fucked you over, I'm not talking bugs but something someone thought was a good idea when making the game. This Mario Maker 2 video mirrors the whiplash of emotions from those days.

• Winner
Reactions: Bender

Tism the Return

your favorite 60 years old Mega Man boss
kiwifarms.net
From what I can recall probably one of the SNK bosses in their fighting games. Zankuro in SamSho 3 did ridiculous damage (pretty sure he can kill you in three hits) and Rugal reading your inputs wasn't fun, just annoying. Never beat Zankuro but after enough times you can sort of find a pattern that reliably damages Rugal without you getting hit back.

• Agree
Reactions: Violence Jack

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Divinity Original Sin 2-
Final boss fight before you ascend to godhood. Where you have to basically fight every boss you encountered in the previous Acts all thrown together in a divine moshpit, which somehow have been resurrected by this OP mage dude all while a giant hydra thing spews one-shot poison at you. And it's a turn based game so you have to sit and watch yourself get ko'ed before you even have a chance. And if you don't have certain skills ready to go (teleport ones) you are basically done.
You can end that shit in a single round.

Reactions: emo goff

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and it's "permadeath" is the perfect example of shitty game design. At the start they make you face two enemies that are immune to your attacks, so whatever you do, you are going to die. Ok, that's a pretty shitty introduction, they could just show this in the cutscene, like in Sekiro, when Wolf loses his arm, despite beating Gen. Then they show that your hand is rotting and inform you, that with each death it's going to rot further and if it will reach your head - game over, start again. I'm not one of those, who started sperging "boo-hoo, it is unfair", I'm ok with challenge in games. The problem is that game is terribly fucking easy and repetitive, even on the highest difficulty. Yeah, I didn't die once and even if I would, it takes 4 hours to beat this piece of crap why bother though, it's not worth it. But wait, there is more - because developers realized, that without your arm progressively roting, plot will be fucking pointless, they made it so after each boss fight, it rots anyway, because of some "fighting evil makes you evil" bullshit. So get this - even if you didn't die once, like I did, in the end your arm will be rotten almost to the shoulder. But then it gets worse - to beat the game you have to lose. The worst part? You don't know that. The game just throws all three bosses at you and then starts spamming with enemies. My screen was full of bodies and I couldn't see shit, framerate dropped to single digits because of this and in I thought that game just glitched. In the end I just gave up and then boom - final cutscene. First I thought that maybe I did something wrong and went to check - nope, that's what supposed to happen, dying or not dying during the playthrough changes nothing and you can get secret ending only by finding all the pieces of northern mythology, which means you have to play this shit again and fuck that. I just watched it on YouTube and yep, that ending sucks dick too. Fuck everyone who praised this garbage.

The Last Stand

O great auditor of the forums...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
COD WaW Der Riese, pack-a-punched Wunderwaffe took your jugg if you hit yourself with it

guess if I was mad
They fixed that in Black Ops. World at War, as good as it was, was buggy.

Grenade spam on Hardened and Veteran, bad hit detection and/or netcode in multiplayer, OP weapons like the MP40 and the precursor for Season Pass DLC.

Elric of Melnibone

kiwifarms.net
When you up the difficulty in a game, and it's either more enemies with more health or you with less health. Not to mention the cheap tactics they use as "difficulty".

Example: AI that have aimbot, inconvenient checkpoint placement, or spamming grenades.
Call of Duty 2, the stick grenades rained from the sky like locust in the old testament.

• Feels
Reactions: Mad Asshatter

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Getting all totems in Far Cry 3. If you are autistic like me, you will try to find all 100+ of them scattered across the map, only to realize near the last mission that number 2 is nowhere to be seen. Then you will go to check Goggle and find out that you can obtain it only during the time when protagonist gets high on shrooms in the cave and never again. Start again? No, fuck that.

How antagonists of Far Cry 5 kidnap you during the game. I can understand John sending his henchmen after you, but other two. Faith kidnapped me, when I was on boat in the middle of the river and it's not the funniest one. When I was fighting Jacob, I decided to sky jump to the next mission and when I was midair, I heard "ONLY YOU...". Couldn't they just script that shit, so it didn't look so exceptional?

Last edited:

NekoRightsActivist

Check your human privilege
kiwifarms.net
Try to figure out the solution of puzzles in Metro Exodus, searching for a tiny fucking barrel in the pitch-dark with spiderbugs constantly try to rape your ass is not fun at all. I have to look up Youtube walkthroughs just to finish sections like that. And also limited gas filters in the Novosibirsk stage.

Borax Bozo

kiwifarms.net
You're supposed to be wary of dragons since seeing the first one, but the devs decided the best way to let you know what's about to happen by placing archers on the bridge shooting at you, encouraging you put your shield up and approach cautiously.

You didn't need those souls, right?
The only clue they give you the first time around is that the ground is distinctly blackened and charred in a way not present elsewhere. I agree that it’s kinda garbage.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shield Breaker

Cool kitties club

In another life I was a catboy now I'm just a C
kiwifarms.net
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and it's "permadeath" is the perfect example of shitty game design. At the start they make you face two enemies that are immune to your attacks, so whatever you do, you are going to die. Ok, that's a pretty shitty introduction, they could just show this in the cutscene, like in Sekiro, when Wolf loses his arm, despite beating Gen. Then they show that your hand is rotting and inform you, that with each death it's going to rot further and if it will reach your head - game over, start again. I'm not one of those, who started sperging "boo-hoo, it is unfair", I'm ok with challenge in games. The problem is that game is terribly fucking easy and repetitive, even on the highest difficulty. Yeah, I didn't die once and even if I would, it takes 4 hours to beat this piece of crap why bother though, it's not worth it. But wait, there is more - because developers realized, that without your arm progressively roting, plot will be fucking pointless, they made it so after each boss fight, it rots anyway, because of some "fighting evil makes you evil" bullshit. So get this - even if you didn't die once, like I did, in the end your arm will be rotten almost to the shoulder. But then it gets worse - to beat the game you have to lose. The worst part? You don't know that. The game just throws all three bosses at you and then starts spamming with enemies. My screen was full of bodies and I couldn't see shit, framerate dropped to single digits because of this and in I thought that game just glitched. In the end I just gave up and then boom - final cutscene. First I thought that maybe I did something wrong and went to check - nope, that's what supposed to happen, dying or not dying during the playthrough changes nothing and you can get secret ending only by finding all the pieces of northern mythology, which means you have to play this shit again and fuck that. I just watched it on YouTube and yep, that ending sucks dick too. Fuck everyone who praised this garbage.
The permadeath stuff was fake people have died dozens of times and found the rot extended very little to none at all. It was just thrown in to make death seem more scary then it really was. Its just there to make you tense.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
The permadeath stuff was fake people have died dozens of times and found the rot extended very little to none at all. It was just thrown in to make death seem more scary then it really was. Its just there to make you tense.
So not only it's a game, where it's nearly impossible to die, if you die somehow, there is virtually no punishment? No wonder Devil may FOCK U felt like walk in a park for autistic children.

• Feels
Reactions: Cool kitties club

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Thanks to my exceptional individual brain, I can't really deal with timers in games in any other way than beelining for the end, even running past enemies to save seconds, even if I know I can afford fighting everything and even doing some exploring. Doesn't matter if I have 10 minutes, if you time it I'm straight to the finish like there's no tomorrow. If I know beforehands a game is timed or relies on timers a lot, I never buy it or play it. Like, I know you don't really have to worry about the water timer in Fallout 1, but I still never finished the game and instead played F2 10 times over the years.
One of the Ratchet and Clank devs actually has funny little story about putting timers in videogames. I timestamped it, but the short version is that people become FUCKING IDIOTS when you throw a timer at them. Doesn't matter what the actual time is.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The only clue they give you the first time around is that the ground is distinctly blackened and charred in a way not present elsewhere. I agree that it’s kinda garbage.
You people are just wusses. If you charge right through the skeletons and keep to your left you can access a ladder and drop down to a safe area. from there you can routinely pop your head up and fuck with the dragon to the point where he lands and you can hit him in the fucking face. I've killed that fucker on his own bridge without doing the long bow trick that requires you to shoot him from a distance. Just keep rolling. There's also a bonfire right nearby so there's no major progress lost. The Fire only hits the main part of the bridge and not the side areas so it's safe to stand there.

Then again I'm one of the people who immediately after starting the game go into the Dragon's Gorge to enter the darkroot forest so I can beat the shit out of the black knight for his halberd.

Tags
None