Biggest bullshit in a video game -

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One of the Ratchet and Clank devs actually has funny little story about putting timers in videogames. I timestamped it, but the short version is that people become FUCKING IDIOTS when you throw a timer at them. Doesn't matter what the actual time is.

I'll admit I did the same thing in the FF7 Remake demo, I just zoomed straight to the exit when the timer started and still had several minutes left on the timer. I think the main problem is you (generally) don't know how long it's going to take to get out of the danger zone, you don't want to die because a timer counted down to zero, so you just run for the finish line.

Borax Bozo

kiwifarms.net
You people are just wusses. If you charge right through the skeletons and keep to your left you can access a ladder and drop down to a safe area. from there you can routinely pop your head up and fuck with the dragon to the point where he lands and you can hit him in the fucking face. I've killed that fucker on his own bridge without doing the long bow trick that requires you to shoot him from a distance. Just keep rolling. There's also a bonfire right nearby so there's no major progress lost. The Fire only hits the main part of the bridge and not the side areas so it's safe to stand there.

Then again I'm one of the people who immediately after starting the game go into the Dragon's Gorge to enter the darkroot forest so I can beat the shit out of the black knight for his halberd.
I'm not talking about the bit where the dragon is staring you down, I'm talking about the first encounter where you get roasted from behind. I don't think it's hard to deal with when you know about it, I just don't think it's particularly fair to the player first time around who is playing blind.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shield Breaker

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There are two games where the timed sections are complete bullshit. The PS3 version of Shadow of the Colossus and Mirror's edge. Both of those are due to developer error.
Quite a lot of Mirror's Edge was "timed" with the guards coming in and shooting the fuck out of you if you weren't fast enough. It annoyed me when it wasn't clear where you had to go, so you lost your sick parkour combo speed boost and had to stand still like a dumbass while you looked around for the next grabby point while you got riddled with bullets.

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
The Hell level in Cave Story. Now I know it's supposed to be hard, but my god is that a nightmare to get through. Blocks are constantly falling from the sky, narrow areas with spikes that do massive damage, fighting off swarms of enemies, and you have to get through that gauntlet and then fight the boss on whatever health you have left. Mess up, and it's back to the beginning of Hell. Goddamn, fuck that place. Good game though.

I'll admit I did the same thing in the FF7 Remake demo, I just zoomed straight to the exit when the timer started and still had several minutes left on the timer. I think the main problem is you (generally) don't know how long it's going to take to get out of the danger zone, you don't want to die because a timer counted down to zero, so you just run for the finish line.
Oh I don't doubt we've all done this at some point. I just find amusing how a simple clock appearing on screen suddenly can turn a player into a speedrunner at the drop of a hat

• Agree
Reactions: Bender

Spit bucket

Hey, would you like to join the way of Jashin?
kiwifarms.net
Since I've been replaying Nioh 1 again to prepare myself for Nioh 2., I now remember why this made my more irritated than any souls game or bloodborne. The end game side mission's are bullshit hard on top of bullshit. They'll have you fight two previous bosses at once. Picture the Ornstien and Smough fight from DS1. Now Imagine fighting 2 Ornstien's. And after the final mission there's no point in trying them because like most of the time you'll be under leveled so you gotta grind out in NG+ or play the DLC first before you even attempt the last side mission's.

FuckedUp

Trump's half-Chosen
kiwifarms.net
I'm not talking about the bit where the dragon is staring you down, I'm talking about the first encounter where you get roasted from behind. I don't think it's hard to deal with when you know about it, I just don't think it's particularly fair to the player first time around who is playing blind.
I was able to get it on my first try, but I played Demon's Souls beforehand so I probably had a better idea of what to expect.

• Thunk-Provoking

Shield Breaker

^_^
kiwifarms.net
You're supposed to paying attention to the environment for clues. This is the part where the devs slap you upside the head with this fact.

• Agree
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
Some of Ace Attorney's twists are so out of left field I have no fucking clue how anyone could figure them out by themselves. I've been playing them with a walkthrough because I can't even figure this shit out by myself. The fifth case from the first game and most of the second one are filled with ass-backwards logic and I legit don't know how anyone could piece them together.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Then again I'm one of the people who immediately after starting the game go into the Dragon's Gorge to enter the darkroot forest so I can beat the shit out of the black knight for his halberd.
When I picked up the game on PC after stopping after the first bell on 360 I bee-lined for Havel and plinked away at him with a dagger for a long time until he died and I got the ring.

You're supposed to paying attention to the environment for clues. This is the part where the devs slap you upside the head with this fact.
"Welcome to Dark Souls, please pay attention and watch your step, this is the game" is a decent way to describe that.

The Last Stand

O great auditor of the forums...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Getting all totems in Far Cry 3. If you are autistic like me, you will try to find all 100+ of them scattered across the map, only to realize near the last mission that number 2 is nowhere to be seen. Then you will go to check Goggle and find out that you can obtain it only during the time when protagonist gets high on shrooms in the cave and never again. Start again? No, fuck that.
I hate that shit in video games. You want to collect these scattered collectibles, only that a couple of them will be inaccessible if you progress the story. Especially if you look up a guide and it tells you a spoiler of the game of which that collectible will be unobtainable.

If you put collectibles in games, they should be EASIER to obtain once you progress. Not disappear and ruin cumulative progress.

Diet of Skulls

kiwifarms.net
I hate that shit in video games. You want to collect these scattered collectibles, only that a couple of them will be inaccessible if you progress the story. Especially if you look up a guide and it tells you a spoiler of the game of which that collectible will be unobtainable.

If you put collectibles in games, they should be EASIER to obtain once you progress. Not disappear and ruin cumulative progress.
It's especially prevalent in open world games, and why I tend not to even bother, unless you're talking like say, GTA IV.
Linear games it gets even more stupid. Least Doom Eternal has a fast travel system that lets you retrieve things.

The Last Stand

O great auditor of the forums...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's especially prevalent in open world games, and why I tend not to even bother, unless you're talking like say, GTA IV.
When you're trying to reach 100% completion in a game, but you're like a percentage off because you forgot one little thing. Out of dozens or so activities and collectibles. Sometimes, a save or restart will trigger it or you have to backtrack. OCD.

Reactions: BlueSpark

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Final Fantasy X-2 might be the most notorious game for this sort of thing, to the point where there's an entire GameFAQs guide for things you can miss that add up to 100% completion. So if you want to 100% it, you have to have that guide hold your hand the entire way through.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Final Fantasy X-2 might be the most notorious game for this sort of thing, to the point where there's an entire GameFAQs guide for things you can miss that add up to 100% completion. So if you want to 100% it, you have to have that guide hold your hand the entire way through.
Yeah, I tried to 100% it, but it was just too annoying having to check that guide all the time. It's not a bad game (even if it is a little questionable as a sequel to FFX), just a bad game for perfectionists.

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net

South Park: The Stick of Truth does that with the Chinpokomon.

Tags
None