• “just cause im a crazy mother fucker doesn't mean i cant tell you guys really need some help“
  1. The site will be going down for maintenance on February 24th for the XenForo 2 upgrade. Read more. (Update Feb-13)

Law Billionaire pharmaceutical exec John Kapoor goes on trial for role in opioid crisis

Discussion in 'Articles & Happenings' started by Cosmos, Jan 28, 2019.

Forum Guidelines
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. If anyone could write your post, it doesn't need to be made. One-word replies are automatic 1-month bans from this board.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • Create accurate topic titles. Threads should be labeled correctly and avoid sensationalist language.
  • Cite an article. This board is for content aggregation and should feature at least one source.

@Lipitor

1. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eme-trial-idUSKCN1PM11F?utm_source=reddit.com

Background:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthe...the-story-of-a-dangerous-opioid/#19ed29426e3f
    https://www.statnews.com/2016/09/30/fentanyl-opioid-insys-subsys/

Good. People like this are essentially mega-rich drug lords. The Sackler family in particular is infamous for pushing OxyContin and getting millions of people addicted.

• Winner  x 17
    • Semper Fidelis  x 4
    • Informative  x 4
    • Agree  x 2
    • Feels  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    • Islamic Content  x 1
    Cosmos

Cosmos Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
    Supervisor True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. The best kind of drug cartel to be in is the legal kind.
    Fuck these people.

• Agree Agree x 20
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Sword Fighter Super

Sword Fighter Super I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  3. So, for this drug epidemic, they go for one or two kingpins and will call it a day. But every other one to date features thousands of street dealers getting locked up?

Fuck this. I want to see the hundreds of M.D.s who gave out 60 percs with two refills for a sprained ankle perp walked.

• Agree Agree x 24
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Oh Long Johnson

Oh Long Johnson Collecting your suffering when you die
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  4. Of course it’s a Pajeet.

• Feels Feels x 6
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  5. Yeah, but if they didn't write the scrip, then the junkie patient would write them a 1 star review and they'd be fired from their "integrated managed care consortium" and have to work at some clinic for poors.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  6. Who's gonna become mysteriously and disproportionately suicidal in the coming days?

Probably anyone who was tasked in taking John Kapoor down.

• 🤔 Thunkful x 5
    Iwasamwillbe

Iwasamwillbe Your Favorite YouTuber Will Smith

kiwifarms.net
  7. How many people had their entire lives fucked up by drug addiction that started with painkillers issued to address a rolled ankle? These fucks lied about how addictive their drug was on a technicality, pushed for as many symptoms as possible to justify prescribing it, then bribed doctors to push it onto as many people as possible.

https://theweek.com/articles/541564/how-american-opiate-epidemic-started-by-pharmaceutical-company

If they see jail time I won’t shed a tear over them getting Whitey Bulger’d.

• Agree Agree x 7
    Cosmug

Cosmug Leering Legendary Fart Cloud

kiwifarms.net
  8. [​IMG]
    Send ODs.

• Islamic Content Islamic Content x 7
    • Horrifying Horrifying x 3
    CWCchange

CWCchange ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ

kiwifarms.net
  9. I look forward to seeing him get 6 months in Club Fed and a slap on the wrist fine.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Feels Feels x 6
    Coconut Gun

Coconut Gun He's the gun member of the coconut crew

kiwifarms.net
  10. Remember that hashtag about opioids that was huge like a year or two back? Or was that just a Massachusetts thing?

• Informative Informative x 1
    Uncanny Valley

Uncanny Valley masshole
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  11. Thank you. The doctors who overprescribed opiates after being bribed to do so are just as culpable. They violated the Hippocratic oath by knowingly giving patients opiates they didn't need. Not all doctors are guilty of course (and even the ones who did overprescribe could have been lied to or are genuinely trying to help their patients), but this epidemic didn't happen in a vacuum.

I know, they're fucking evil. Like I said in the OP, the Sackler family deliberately mislead the doctors and the public about the potency and addictiveness of their drug. They knew how dangerous OxyContin is, but they pushed the shit out of it anyway so they could make billions off of it. They had their sales representatives outright lie to doctors' faces by saying that the drug had an addiction risk for patients of “less than one percent,” a claim that had no scientific backing.

These people are literally glorified, legalized drug lords. They don't give a shit about how many lives they destroy as long as they get their money. More money than they could ever spend because they're greedy fucks.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Cosmos

Cosmos Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
    Supervisor True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  12. kaPOOr

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  13. Nah, ex-mayor of Nashville’s son ODed on opioids and died a couple years ago when she was still in office. How embarrassing.

Cho Chan

Cho Chan jesus tryna take th wheel but i wanna keep sinning
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  14. Gotta keep those growth projections rolling in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  15. Remember that in the 90's, in the beginning of the opioid crisis, the Oxycontin creators LIED to doctors about oxycontin's effects. Doctors were told that it would be impossible for their patients to get addicted to oxy, or that addiction rates were extremely low. The companies concealed data intentionally (and were later sued and punished for it). If you look at early marketing info for oxy, you can see that they heavily push the "no risk of dependence" angle.

So there were several years where many well-meaning doctors believed that it would be perfectly safe for them to prescribe oxy, and that was long enough for the drug to get its foothold.

Once they realized what was happening, all the decent doctors were horrified and they stopped prescribing it except for super serious situations. You can spot the shit doctors now by their willingness to prescribe it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  16. I mean good I guess but I'm afraid this crusade on opioids is going to lead to people that need painkillers being unable to get them.

• Feels Feels x 1
    Your Weird Fetish

Your Weird Fetish Intersectional fetishist

kiwifarms.net
  17. NSAIDs and Paracetamol are also analgesics, but they don’t have the opium family of drugs addictive effect because they generally lack the ability to pretend to be serotonin. That plus the possibility of drug resistance over long term usage what makes opiates addicting; the fact that you get higher and higher dosages because your current scrip doesn’t cut it anymore. I’m not a biochemist, but that’s info that you can generally get from any good doctor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Autistic Autistic x 1
    Cosmug

kiwifarms.net
  18. Yeah, I think this is a valid concern, but usually people who genuinely need these painkillers will have tons and tons of paperwork and multiple past doctors testifying to their needs for it, or they are recovering from a wild surgery.

I think it will be HARD for them to get the meds, but it will be doable. And it should be doable, especially for people who are dying and want that process to suck less.

Agreed. Don't forget though that some people are allergic and or have bad reactions to those kinds of drugs, and NSAIDs and paracetamol/acetaminophen will not deal with as much pain as opioids. They are a great option for 99% of people but they aren't going to work for 1% of people.

• Agree Agree x 4
    kiwifarms.net
  19. You’re right, the lesson here is specifically about treating opiates with kid gloves. You want to prescribe them ONLY when the alternatives are insufficient precisely because of their dangers. Just like you don’t do open heart surgery to address something that can be handled by lipitor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Cosmug

kiwifarms.net
  20. Right and next time you get surgery just ask for ibuprofen. Who needs opiate painkillers?

• Like Like x 1
    Your Weird Fetish

Your Weird Fetish Intersectional fetishist

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.