Black Widow - Prequel? Clone? Skrull?

jellycar

Patty Hearst/Mariya Takeuchi/Ellen Feiss
kiwifarms.net

Figured I would make a thread for the upcoming film. There may be more information revealed at next month's comic-con.

Directed by Cate Shortland

Cast:
Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova
Rachel Weisz is Iron Maiden aka Malena Volokov
OT Fagbenle is Nat's former lover Mason
David Harbour is Red Guardian aka Alexi Shoshtakov
Ray Winstone is either Ivan Romanov, or Taskmaster

After getting the short end of the stick in Endgame because everyone wants to blow Chris Evans and RDJ because white men, Natasha Romanoff returns to finish what she started. To finally bust out of the fucking refrigerator and carry a film more impactful than Captain Marvel.

Allegedly Andre Holland is playing Taskmaster. People are pissed because a white woman fighting a black man as a main villain is nagl or something. (Also its interesting how people demanded this film yet now they don't want it because they hate Scarlett/too late/etc)

Also Florence Pugh might be playing Yelena Belova, a rival spy of Widow.

D8aQwQiW4AER3Ak.jpgD76ctm1XkAIVY6H(2).jpgD76cs_aXkAEC6RU(2).jpgD7-pRN2W4AAqU0P.jpge592922c-c478-4298-ad75-b6858de22477.jpg

Last edited:
F

FH 721

kiwifarms.net
I'm actually looking forward to this. I didn't like Black Widow in the first couple movies but ScarJo has gotten better in the role as time has passed. And of course, like many others probably ask themselves, why didn't they do THIS film before Captain Marvel? Why prioritize some nothing character like Danvers to get her own film first over one of the original six Avengers?

jellycar

kiwifarms.net
I'm actually looking forward to this. I didn't like Black Widow in the first couple movies but ScarJo has gotten better in the role as time has passed. And of course, like many others probably ask themselves, why didn't they do THIS film before Captain Marvel? Why prioritize some nothing character like Danvers to get her own film first over one of the original six Avengers?
Exactly. People give her shit for her acting yet ironically nobody says a word about Larson.

Feige keeps being vague af. Trolololo

Marco Fucko

Raise the stakes by punching a baby.
kiwifarms.net
I just looked at the director's previous filography and she's only done 3 movies, a romance a detective story and a psychological thriller. Not sure about this one, if she takes some inspo from Atomic Blonde it might be good.

• Optimistic
Reactions: millais

jellycar

kiwifarms.net
I just looked at the director's previous filography and she's only done 3 movies, a romance a detective story and a psychological thriller. Not sure about this one, if she takes some inspo from Atomic Blonde it might be good.
Atomic Blonde, The Villainess, and Hanna imo. I think it'll be fun. And not all "girl power " bullshit shoved in the face like Brie Cheese.

Black Widow's always had a darkness to her comparable to Punisher, especially in the comics. I think if they make it a little bit grittier and darker than the other MCU films it would be fantastic.

Black Widow: The Things They Say About Her is def one of the darker comics. Also you got her doing shit like murdering a family who were defecting and her wanting to kill the child.

Marco Fucko

Raise the stakes by punching a baby.
kiwifarms.net
Atomic Blonde, The Villainess, and Hanna imo. I think it'll be fun. And not all "girl power " bullshit shoved in the face like Brie Cheese.

Black Widow's always had a darkness to her comparable to Punisher, especially in the comics. I think if they make it a little bit grittier and darker than the other MCU films it would be fantastic.

Black Widow: The Things They Say About Her is def one of the darker comics. Also you got her doing shit like murdering a family who were defecting and her wanting to kill the child.
Outside of Larson, part of the trouble with CM was the whole "Superman" issue. I understand some comic stories are capable of exploring very powerful characters in a deeper way, but a lot of the movies are baseline adaptations, especially the first ones for any hero. Outside of the 80s a lot of Superman movies have gotten lukewarm reception, because an almost all-powerful hero is kind of boring.

But yeah I might check this out if the trailer looks decent.

jellycar

kiwifarms.net
Outside of Larson, part of the trouble with CM was the whole "Superman" issue. I understand some comic stories are capable of exploring very powerful characters in a deeper way, but a lot of the movies are baseline adaptations, especially the first ones for any hero. Outside of the 80s a lot of Superman movies have gotten lukewarm reception, because an almost all-powerful hero is kind of boring.

Agreed. One of the reasons I want this to work is because Nat technically doesn't have superpowers. She's human. So I'm interested to see what they do with a more realistic film.

Also I'm baffled and excited they got Rachel fucking Weisz who, like Michelle Pfeiffer and Angela Bassett, stopped aging. (Also I like to think her husband gave her training tips. Because James Bond.)

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
Captain Marvel was Jesus Christ, God, and the virgin Mary all rolled into one. A perfect being of unlimited power. She needs no one, she has the literal power of the cosmos at her disposal, to destroy goddamn planets if she chooses to. Her mannerisms in both comics and in the movie are disdain , disgust, and annoyance for anyone who gets in her ways. Her technical skills make Tony Stark look like a weeb fucking a shoe trying to figure out the meaning of Love. She doesn't need any other person/place/thing, she doesn't require any intervention or assistance from any 'living' creature as she can destroy anything that comes into her path. She's obliterated entire flotillas of battleships, killed MILLIONS of living creatures, and unleashed her will upon galaxies. She is more powerful than every single Marvel character but Death herself.

Now pretend Captain Marvel is the "Good" guy after reading all that.

Captain Marvel is an un-empathetic, uncaring, unsympathetic individual who only cares about what she BELIEVES is correct. This character is , as you so rightfully called it, boring to watch for 2 hours.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net

Humanity wants to see people succeed, fail, learn, and then work to succeed again. The loss, the character arcs, the physical and emotional blows all make Black Widow, as she has been portrayed in the MCU and comics, a flawed,traumatic, and tragic character. As long as they keep with that theme it will do well. Make her Roger Moore James Bond and the movie is gonna suck ass, no one wants to see BW like that.

SmileyTimeDayCare

This is pleasure!
kiwifarms.net
Endgame made me not care about the MCU. They completely undermined everyone's character arc so why would I care about prequels or if they come back?

We're into woke Marvel in the comics at this point and I'm not paying to watch that junk.

The Shadow

Talk to the Hand
kiwifarms.net

You kind of hit the nail on the head. If you want a really powerful super to work, then there needs to be a level of charm to go with it. Which is why Christopher Reeve is still the best Superman to me. At that level of power you're above a lot of ordinary human considerations, so playing the good hearted hero role completely straight works a lot better.

Black Widow is more of a peak human, which gives more room for nuances and darkness. I'm not a huge fan of ScarJo or the character but she really did great when she was spotlighted in Winter Soldier. This may not be bad.

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Glad she died.

Won't see this movie unless it's revealed she secretly has an Asian woman living inside of her. Typecast.

• Optimistic
Reactions: jellycar

Harvey Danger

getting tired of this whole internet thing
kiwifarms.net
Black Widow is more of a peak human, which gives more room for nuances and darkness. I'm not a huge fan of ScarJo or the character but she really did great when she was spotlighted in Winter Soldier. This may not be bad.
She has the same problem as Nick Fury: she's a spy/assassin, she's part of the spy/intel team in Marvel, and to make them great characters requires a spy story, not a save-the-multiverse setting.

I liked Jackson (he's playing the Ultimates version of Nick Fury), but think of what they gave him to do in the movies: mostly lurking in the shadows, saying cryptic things, organizing the Avengers to tie all the movies together. He was a plot convenience more than a character. The only times they gave him something to do were:

1. The big car chase scene in Winter Soldier, which was fine but unnecessary; you could've put anyone in there.
  2. Dealing with the politics of the Registration Act and its effects on Shield--exactly what his character is good for.
  3. Political and intel stuff in Captain Marvel, which actually worked with his character and was the only redeeming part of the movie. Until his eye got scratched out by a cat. Fuck that irredeemable movie.
I'm up for a good spy caper featuring Black Widow, but where does that fit 10 years in, post-Thanos? They've been in monster-of-the-week mode almost the whole time, saving the world, stopping rifts in space time, etc. There's nowhere to go with character development or hero buildup, unless there have been hints and easter eggs in all the movies so far that will be answered. In which case we have the Han Solo prequel problem: no one actually cares what Hawkeye and Black Widow did in Budapest, just like they didn't need to see Han win the Falcon in a card game.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino