Board Game General - Discuss stupid cardboard games

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

Beef Supplier

kiwifarms.net
Hey guys. Just wanted to start a board game thread and see if it can get some activity. Talk about what your playing, what games you hate, the stupid community, and maybe try to get some TTS games going.

Beef Supplier

kiwifarms.net
You just unlocked a deep memory. CATAN fucking ruled, used to play that shit with my family.

Its like a russian monopoly where nobody has money but everyone has wood
That was my gateway game into board gaming. I used to play it all the time when i was younger. Its hard for me to go back to it now. Especially when your just stuck there waiting for your number to be rolled with nothing but a bunch of bricks or wood no one wants.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
That was my gateway game into board gaming.
it's better than risk and monopoly for that, but there's still lot of room for improvement. these days boardgames have boomed hard, there are much better games to get people hooked (depending on your preference, surprisingly women can become competitive af for some reason in board/cardgames).

haven't touched TTS in ages, most play the kickstarter games a mate picked up when they finally arrive.
one thing that annoys the heck out of me is even with heavy scripting it's still a mess when you have to learn how the whole automation is set up, to the point it's sometimes faster doing it by hand. still a godsend for stuff like kingdom death monster tho.

luckily boardgame community can be ignored for the most part.

Last edited:

Beef Supplier

kiwifarms.net
I mostly use TTS as a way to play with friends who have moved away and during peak panic time during covid. I agree that its a clunky mess but i think thats comes from it being more of a tool then a game. But what do i know. Im probably half exceptional.

Also the community has been slowly going woke and its getting so bad to where your comments on BoardGameGeek will get removed for wrong think in discussion pages. To give an idea on how crazy some people are now. I have been told multiple times that people have a hard time playing games that look like this because they involve building train tracks and that it makes them think of slavery. I think if you see this and think about slaves your the one with the problem my dude.

Attachments

• DSC08700.jpg
    DSC08700.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 21

Neo-Holstien

I'm gonna skooooooom
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Secret Hitler
Amazon.com: Secret Hitler: Toys & Games

despite the faggy nigger name it is a fun time with 5-8 friends
Axis and Allies
Hiew's Boardgame Blog: Axis & Allies Global 1940

A very fun IRL hearts of iron game, (the map I play on is less fucked up)
Dragon Strike
Dragon Strike | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

My mother threw it out when I was in high school, but it was my introduction to table top rpgs, and was the first time me and a group of friends did a champaign.
Catan
Pin on Board Games

Settlers of Catan is a great coalition game when it reaches the mid point, have not played it in a fat minute
Four Souls
Binding of Isaac - Four Souls

This is a good game to play with friends, as time leads to dominant strategy's and neo-dominant strategies as the group adapts to each over over the months.
Ticket to ride
Ticket to Ride – a board game by Alan R. Moon, published by Days of Wonder

The only one I have seen a woman can actually play it.

I would honestly love to play these games online with forum members if it could be set up

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
If i can get enough interest here i can set something up. I dont mind teaching and organizing any game people wanna play.
that's a dangerous proposition, doing that here might end with you having to run a session of die macher.

Secret Hitler
View attachment 2414113
despite the faggy nigger name it is a fun time with 5-8 friends
shit and gay, it's nothing more than a glorified resistance variant with a fancy name. they can also piss off for their "hilarious" idea that if hitler is too sensitive for you you can turn it into "secret trump".

if you want social deduction you can't go wrong with bruno faidutti. citadels and the more streamlined mascarade are the fucking bomb, but only really excels with 6-13 players. lower or inbetween there's coup and resistance, with the latter having enough variants ootb that you can adapt it to almost any group.

Dragon Strike
Dragon Strike | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

My mother threw it out when I was in high school, but it was my introduction to table top rpgs, and was the first time me and a group of friends did a champaign.

only played

Screw Danlon

Everything stated by this poster is true and facts
kiwifarms.net
I actually have a card/party style game that I’ve been working on and is in the early stages of looking for a publisher/crowdfunding. I wish I could figure out a way to talk a bit about it without powerleveling too much. It‘s been really fun making it, and when I finally got two full production prototypes, it was one of the cooler moments of my life.

As far as not-my-games - I played Imperial Assault for the first time last month with a friend, and we actually agreed to replay the first mission. I think we both went into it expecting it to play a lot like a tactical miniatures game - which it sort of does - but it really seems to be more about managing time & threat pressure, rather than about actually fighting enemies and having Fire Emblem style fun.

Which is sort of a problem with a lot of Fantasy Flight games, what they actually play like tends to be at odds with what it looks like they play like.

Beef Supplier

kiwifarms.net
I actually have a card/party style game that I’ve been working on and is in the early stages of looking for a publisher/crowdfunding. I wish I could figure out a way to talk a bit about it without powerleveling too much. It‘s been really fun making it, and when I finally got two full production prototypes, it was one of the cooler moments of my life.

As far as not-my-games - I played Imperial Assault for the first time last month with a friend, and we actually agreed to replay the first mission. I think we both went into it expecting it to play a lot like a tactical miniatures game - which it sort of does - but it really seems to be more about managing time & threat pressure, rather than about actually fighting enemies and having Fire Emblem style fun.

Which is sort of a problem with a lot of Fantasy Flight games, what they actually play like tends to be at odds with what it looks like they play like.
Id love to see what game you're creating. I currently have a game im putting together myself in my free time, its nothing to fancy. Just a cattle drive themed game. Also if you're looking looking for something more akin to fire emblem you might check out some war games. The problem with war games though is that most are historical and with verry bare artwork. But they kind of have to be bare since you need to be able to absorb a lot of info at a glance.

Dwight Frye

*Laughs in Renfield*
kiwifarms.net
Used to play a ton of Risk with my friends in high school. Games would always last way too long though, haven’t really played it since then.

There was a board game my siblings and I had as kids called 13 Dead End Drive. It was kinda like Clue but had this elaborate setup for traps. Game was a giant pain in the ass to set up, and by the time everything was ready nobody was interested in playing anymore

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
absolutely make it solid first, the easiest way to get a publisher is demo it at a con so they can get a feel for it (difficult with corona tho). same for crowdfunding, people want to see the goods first in form of rules and compnents, and unless you can whore it out via minis CMON style people will dissect it hard trying to break it. before that have your friends go over it repeatedly, playtesting is the absolute biggest part of the whole process. helps if you got some who are competitive enough wanting to break it too.

with the boardgame boom there are a lot of games that look nice, play nice but have some degree of jank which ruins the whole thing one way or another, be it the interaction of mechanics, balance, scoring or a combination of - still remember a story where the "official" errata from the author was along the lines "just ignore it, you don't have to use it anyway" - dude if I buy your game I expect that kind of shit to be taken care off, else I can just make anything up myself for free.
otoh if you make sure your stuff is solid that can go a long way since even with cult of the new people tend to go back to the "good" game at some point. every year during gencon/spiel there's a few "hot" new games you don't hear anything about weeks later (heck that can even happen to good games).

it goes all the way back to the doom boardgame which was basically a race to get out before you get fucked by the overlord, that hasn't really changed, even with the coop variant.
if you want proper versus you need to play skirmish, not sure if the rules are included.

never played FE, so couldn't really compare, but are you looking for a more narrative dungeon crawl?