Careercow Bob "MovieBob" Chipman - Obese Fascist Eugenics-Loving Elitist Pop Culture Critic with a Mario & MCU Fetish Leading us to a Superior Future!

How will MovieBob react to Captain Marvel's Release?

• Boycott it until #JamesGunnRehired

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Burn his screener copy on camera to protest James Gunn's firing

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • See it once in theaters

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • See it twice in theaters because he wants to "appreciate Brie's acting".

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • See it multiple times in theaters then declare it that year's Oscar winner

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The above but also declare it a new era in cinema and the cure for his diabetes

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • Islamic Content (Elaborate in as much graphic detail as humanly possible)

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BubbleButt

Rolling Heart Vibration.
kiwifarms.net
I personally think it's annoying that all these overweight white guys are championing a millionaire white guy making a bunch of multi-millionaire white guys more money by making a mediocre billion dollar earning movie for a multi-billion dollar company like it's some kind of extreme moral victory. It's the most pathetic thing I've seen in a long, long time.

LordofCringe7206

kiwifarms.net
Call me optimistic, but I straight up call legit fantasy taking back the box office after a lackluster decade.
Fantasy will likely never retake the box office. It never really even had a hold on the box office to begin with. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter dominated back when they were being released, but nothing else has ever done well in the fantasy category. They had some mild success with Narnia, but it wasn't to the tune of LOTR or HP. Plus the franchise has been dead for ten years.

• Feels
Reactions: Count groudon

Godzilla@1989

Marlon Brando's eyes!
kiwifarms.net
Fantasy will likely never retake the box office. It never really even had a hold on the box office to begin with. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter dominated back when they were being released, but nothing else has ever done well in the fantasy category. They had some mild success with Narnia, but it wasn't to the tune of LOTR or HP. Plus the franchise has been dead for ten years.
That’s reasonable to point out. But I feel superhero films are going to have a burnout soon.

• Feels
Reactions: Count groudon

iRON-mAn

kiwifarms.net
That’s reasonable to point out. But I feel superhero films are going to have a burnout soon.
Fantasy is quite a broad term as well, and can apply to anything from How to Train Your Dragon to weird stuff like The House with a Clock in its Walls or A Wrinkle in Time. If you're specifically talking about epic fantasy in the vein of LOTR, it doesn't help that almost anything that studios have put out in the past ten years, such as that recent King Arthur film, have been trash.

Some more James Gunn sperging:

View attachment 696256
I like his little end addition, acting like the hashtag had anything to do with Gunn being brought back. Gunn was brought back because he handled the situation well, and he apologised. Really the lesson here isn't to start hashtagging every poc creator who isn't getting shovels of money because of their skin colour, it's that sometimes you have to humble yourself. Maybe Bob wouldn't have waited so long to get rehired by The Escapist if he had been able to apologise way back when.

Cardenio

Cheese?
kiwifarms.net
I’m calling it now, cape shit popularity is going to wind down post endgame. I know marvel/Disney have this grand vision with new heroes and arcs but it’s well past it’s 15 min at this point. This was a 10 year investment and it’s very stale and formulaic at this point. I see what happened with Star Wars happening again with future Marvel movies.

Bringing back the pedophile James Gunn is a Pyrrhic victory.
It depends on how they handle it. If they think they can now just roll on with another event they're headed fast into diminishing returns.

It was special to see all the Superheroes unite in the Avengers, it was special again to see practically all of them fight and lose to Thanos. And BTW all the Avengers movies are far from being truly "great" films, they just work because holy shit the Spectacle of it all is impressive. Now if I had Kevin Feige's ear I'd say it's the time to make smaller more experimental films. Remember Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty damn experimental at didn't totally fall into Capeshit tropes until the last 30 or so minutes. It was just a zany prison break movie with a bunch of jerks.

I won't see Captain Marvel until it's on home video, but the impression I'm left with is that the Skrulls along with Kree are taken quite seriously and it's obvious they're going to be the next big alien menace once Thanos loses. I have no interest in seeing that. They always think they need to go bigger and that's why we get crap like Deadpool 2.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 696256
If the word could ever be applied to Bob (it can't), I would call his childish naivete in believing his or anyone's twitter sperging over GotG had any impact on a global megacorporation's hiring practices and massaging of PR over a guy who posted hundreds of uncomfortable pedophilic "jokes" and was buddies with a convicted CP enthusiast adorable. But Bob is the polar opposite of "adorable," so let's just chalk it up to his usual smugness.

I think this is less to do with fantasy itself and more to do with the diminishing cultural importance of film. You're overlooking Game of Thrones, which is an absolute juggernaut and is poised to dominate the entertainment headlines for the next couple of months with the final season. Whether or not the spinoff show (or the Amazon Second Age Middle-earth show) is a success is of course up in the air, but the fact is GoT has been a cultural titan for the last nine years, all without ever having a single theatrical release.

Jetpack Himmler

Grizzled Culture War Veteran
kiwifarms.net
If the word could ever be applied to Bob (it can't), I would call his childish naivete in believing his or anyone's twitter sperging over GotG had any impact on a global megacorporation's hiring practices and massaging of PR over a guy who posted hundreds of uncomfortable pedophilic "jokes" and was buddies with a convicted CP enthusiast adorable. But Bob is the polar opposite of "adorable," so let's just chalk it up to his usual smugness.
Because heaven forbid the actors and other industry professionals pressure Alan Horn into reconsidering his decision. Nope, it's a semi-obscure critic and laughing stock from the entertainment wasteland that is the Boston area.
I think this is less to do with fantasy itself and more to do with the diminishing cultural importance of film. You're overlooking Game of Thrones, which is an absolute juggernaut and is poised to dominate the entertainment headlines for the next couple of months with the final season. Whether or not the spinoff show (or the Amazon Second Age Middle-earth show) is a success is of course up in the air, but the fact is GoT has been a cultural titan for the last nine years, all without ever having a single theatrical release.
Off topic, but with Bob's endless fellatio on the MCU, it does make me wonder if HBO would've been a better medium for Justice League (albeit with the right show runner.) Comics are--at their heart--a serial medium and I see film as limiting in many respects. Case in point, the Scarlet Witch/Vision romance was barely a subplot in Civil War, but it gains significance in Infinity War because... Infinity Stone? GoT was better at handling a larger cast though the longevity of its characters has become something of a joke. Like hiring George R. R. Martin as your wedding planner.

I guess we'll see how well HBO and capeshit mingles when Watchmen comes out later this year.

The Shadow

Pulp Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
I’m calling it now, cape shit popularity is going to wind down post endgame. I know marvel/Disney have this grand vision with new heroes and arcs but it’s well past it’s 15 min at this point. This was a 10 year investment and it’s very stale and formulaic at this point. I see what happened with Star Wars happening again with future Marvel movies.
I feel like capeshit will eventually collapse under the weight of having too much continuity lockout for casual viewers. If a friend invited me to see Endgame, do I really want to watch 20+ hours of formulaic movies just to understand who these characters are and why I should care?

Origin stories! SO MANY ORIGIN STORIES!

To go back to the best received of the Batman movies (the Nolan trilogy) they focused on Batman and the villain of the movie, with Nolan also focusing on Gordon, Alfred, Lucius and to a lesser extent Rachel. Very few characters are carried over from film to film and their relationship to Batman/Bruce is pretty well established. If you skipped The Dark Knight and only watched BB and TDK, you would still be able to understand the characters and why you should care about them. With the MCU there's such an unfocused, broad arc about a bunch of random cosmic garbage and so many characters scattered throughout two decades of movies.

RodgerDodger

kiwifarms.net
You must have missed the late 70's early 80's? Fantasy Dominated for a good number of years. A lot of it was pure schlock. But it was the bandwagon everybody jumped on for a bit.

Edit: to define timespan. The Fantasy Era of Cinema largely began with Conan the Barbarian, and Willow is generally felt to mark the end of it.

Last edited:

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
I feel like capeshit will eventually collapse under the weight of having too much continuity lockout for casual viewers. If a friend invited me to see Endgame, do I really want to watch 20+ hours of formulaic movies just to understand who these characters are and why I should care?

Origin stories! SO MANY ORIGIN STORIES!

To go back to the best received of the Batman movies (the Nolan trilogy) they focused on Batman and the villain of the movie, with Nolan also focusing on Gordon, Alfred, Lucius and to a lesser extent Rachel. Very few characters are carried over from film to film and their relationship to Batman/Bruce is pretty well established. If you skipped The Dark Knight and only watched BB and TDK, you would still be able to understand the characters and why you should care about them. With the MCU there's such an unfocused, broad arc about a bunch of random cosmic garbage and so many characters scattered throughout two decades of movies.
Comic have a catch22. Let's be real, avenger s would NOT have printed money had they not done the ground work films. See: all the cinematic universes that have tried to rush things without that ground work.

But like you said, do you want to watch 20hrs of movies to be able to watch one? Maybe, we are in the era of binging. And 20hrs of movies is the equivalent of about 2 seasons of whatever prestiege show is popular. (What hinders it most is that there's no clear system to which movies in which order.) On the flipside, if every movie was completely stand-alone, who would bother with half of them?

You want to reward the longtime viewer and give newbies an incentive to join the ride without making the task too daunting.

The Shadow

Pulp Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Comic have a catch22. Let's be real, avenger s would NOT have printed money had they not done the ground work films. See: all the cinematic universes that have tried to rush things without that ground work.

But like you said, do you want to watch 20hrs of movies to be able to watch one? Maybe, we are in the era of binging. And 20hrs of movies is the equivalent of about 2 seasons of whatever prestiege show is popular. (What hinders it most is that there's no clear system to which movies in which order.) On the flipside, if every movie was completely stand-alone, who would bother with half of them?

You want to reward the longtime viewer and give newbies an incentive to join the ride without making the task too daunting.
"Previously, on Battlestar Galactica..."

A 10 minute recap would be nice to at least tell the audience the cast of characters and the current MacGuffin.

It would help a lot of people. I don't find the Marvel series to be very memorable and have probably only seen GotG more than once. Probably because it works as a stand alone film despite the stuff that only exists as worldbuilding for the MCU slowing it down, whereas most of them don't work on their own.

Cinematic Universes are starting to feel like homework.

Sissy Galvez

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 696256
Interesting, it was a fake alt right troll campaign and not the horribly disgusting tweets and actions James Gunn made? Just trying to understand how it differs when an alt left troll campaign finds old, obscure tweets from someone and attempts to ruin their life.

Also, fans did nothing to move the needle. The industry was very mad Disney capitulated to Cernovich and not over the nasty shit Gunn said. Blobb, you did nothing. You’re a nobody to Disney and Marvel.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino