Careercow Bob "MovieBob" Chipman - Obese Fascist Eugenics-Loving Elitist Pop Culture Critic with a Mario & MCU Fetish Leading us to a Superior Future!

How will MovieBob react to Captain Marvel's Release?

• Boycott it until #JamesGunnRehired

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Burn his screener copy on camera to protest James Gunn's firing

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • See it once in theaters

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • See it twice in theaters because he wants to "appreciate Brie's acting".

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • See it multiple times in theaters then declare it that year's Oscar winner

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The above but also declare it a new era in cinema and the cure for his diabetes

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • Islamic Content (Elaborate in as much graphic detail as humanly possible)

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
kiwifarms.net
Some more James Gunn sperging:

View attachment 696256
If the word could ever be applied to Bob (it can't), I would call his childish naivete in believing his or anyone's twitter sperging over GotG had any impact on a global megacorporation's hiring practices and massaging of PR over a guy who posted hundreds of uncomfortable pedophilic "jokes" and was buddies with a convicted CP enthusiast adorable. But Bob is the polar opposite of "adorable," so let's just chalk it up to his usual smugness.

Fantasy will likely never retake the box office. It never really even had a hold on the box office to begin with. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter dominated back when they were being released, but nothing else has ever done well in the fantasy category. They had some mild success with Narnia, but it wasn't to the tune of LOTR or HP. Plus the franchise has been dead for ten years.
I think this is less to do with fantasy itself and more to do with the diminishing cultural importance of film. You're overlooking Game of Thrones, which is an absolute juggernaut and is poised to dominate the entertainment headlines for the next couple of months with the final season. Whether or not the spinoff show (or the Amazon Second Age Middle-earth show) is a success is of course up in the air, but the fact is GoT has been a cultural titan for the last nine years, all without ever having a single theatrical release.

Jetpack Himmler

Grizzled Culture War Veteran
kiwifarms.net
If the word could ever be applied to Bob (it can't), I would call his childish naivete in believing his or anyone's twitter sperging over GotG had any impact on a global megacorporation's hiring practices and massaging of PR over a guy who posted hundreds of uncomfortable pedophilic "jokes" and was buddies with a convicted CP enthusiast adorable. But Bob is the polar opposite of "adorable," so let's just chalk it up to his usual smugness.
Because heaven forbid the actors and other industry professionals pressure Alan Horn into reconsidering his decision. Nope, it's a semi-obscure critic and laughing stock from the entertainment wasteland that is the Boston area.
I think this is less to do with fantasy itself and more to do with the diminishing cultural importance of film. You're overlooking Game of Thrones, which is an absolute juggernaut and is poised to dominate the entertainment headlines for the next couple of months with the final season. Whether or not the spinoff show (or the Amazon Second Age Middle-earth show) is a success is of course up in the air, but the fact is GoT has been a cultural titan for the last nine years, all without ever having a single theatrical release.
Off topic, but with Bob's endless fellatio on the MCU, it does make me wonder if HBO would've been a better medium for Justice League (albeit with the right show runner.) Comics are--at their heart--a serial medium and I see film as limiting in many respects. Case in point, the Scarlet Witch/Vision romance was barely a subplot in Civil War, but it gains significance in Infinity War because... Infinity Stone? GoT was better at handling a larger cast though the longevity of its characters has become something of a joke. Like hiring George R. R. Martin as your wedding planner.

I guess we'll see how well HBO and capeshit mingles when Watchmen comes out later this year.

The Shadow

I have SEVERAL questions
kiwifarms.net
I’m calling it now, cape shit popularity is going to wind down post endgame. I know marvel/Disney have this grand vision with new heroes and arcs but it’s well past it’s 15 min at this point. This was a 10 year investment and it’s very stale and formulaic at this point. I see what happened with Star Wars happening again with future Marvel movies.
I feel like capeshit will eventually collapse under the weight of having too much continuity lockout for casual viewers. If a friend invited me to see Endgame, do I really want to watch 20+ hours of formulaic movies just to understand who these characters are and why I should care?

Origin stories! SO MANY ORIGIN STORIES!

To go back to the best received of the Batman movies (the Nolan trilogy) they focused on Batman and the villain of the movie, with Nolan also focusing on Gordon, Alfred, Lucius and to a lesser extent Rachel. Very few characters are carried over from film to film and their relationship to Batman/Bruce is pretty well established. If you skipped The Dark Knight and only watched BB and TDK, you would still be able to understand the characters and why you should care about them. With the MCU there's such an unfocused, broad arc about a bunch of random cosmic garbage and so many characters scattered throughout two decades of movies.

RodgerDodger

kiwifarms.net
Fantasy will likely never retake the box office. It never really even had a hold on the box office to begin with. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter dominated back when they were being released, but nothing else has ever done well in the fantasy category. They had some mild success with Narnia, but it wasn't to the tune of LOTR or HP. Plus the franchise has been dead for ten years.
You must have missed the late 70's early 80's? Fantasy Dominated for a good number of years. A lot of it was pure schlock. But it was the bandwagon everybody jumped on for a bit.

Edit: to define timespan. The Fantasy Era of Cinema largely began with Conan the Barbarian, and Willow is generally felt to mark the end of it.

Last edited:

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
I feel like capeshit will eventually collapse under the weight of having too much continuity lockout for casual viewers. If a friend invited me to see Endgame, do I really want to watch 20+ hours of formulaic movies just to understand who these characters are and why I should care?

Origin stories! SO MANY ORIGIN STORIES!

To go back to the best received of the Batman movies (the Nolan trilogy) they focused on Batman and the villain of the movie, with Nolan also focusing on Gordon, Alfred, Lucius and to a lesser extent Rachel. Very few characters are carried over from film to film and their relationship to Batman/Bruce is pretty well established. If you skipped The Dark Knight and only watched BB and TDK, you would still be able to understand the characters and why you should care about them. With the MCU there's such an unfocused, broad arc about a bunch of random cosmic garbage and so many characters scattered throughout two decades of movies.
Comic have a catch22. Let's be real, avenger s would NOT have printed money had they not done the ground work films. See: all the cinematic universes that have tried to rush things without that ground work.

But like you said, do you want to watch 20hrs of movies to be able to watch one? Maybe, we are in the era of binging. And 20hrs of movies is the equivalent of about 2 seasons of whatever prestiege show is popular. (What hinders it most is that there's no clear system to which movies in which order.) On the flipside, if every movie was completely stand-alone, who would bother with half of them?

You want to reward the longtime viewer and give newbies an incentive to join the ride without making the task too daunting.

The Shadow

I have SEVERAL questions
kiwifarms.net
Comic have a catch22. Let's be real, avenger s would NOT have printed money had they not done the ground work films. See: all the cinematic universes that have tried to rush things without that ground work.

But like you said, do you want to watch 20hrs of movies to be able to watch one? Maybe, we are in the era of binging. And 20hrs of movies is the equivalent of about 2 seasons of whatever prestiege show is popular. (What hinders it most is that there's no clear system to which movies in which order.) On the flipside, if every movie was completely stand-alone, who would bother with half of them?

You want to reward the longtime viewer and give newbies an incentive to join the ride without making the task too daunting.
"Previously, on Battlestar Galactica..."

A 10 minute recap would be nice to at least tell the audience the cast of characters and the current MacGuffin.

It would help a lot of people. I don't find the Marvel series to be very memorable and have probably only seen GotG more than once. Probably because it works as a stand alone film despite the stuff that only exists as worldbuilding for the MCU slowing it down, whereas most of them don't work on their own.

Cinematic Universes are starting to feel like homework.

Sissy Galvez

kiwifarms.net
Some more James Gunn sperging:

View attachment 696256
Interesting, it was a fake alt right troll campaign and not the horribly disgusting tweets and actions James Gunn made? Just trying to understand how it differs when an alt left troll campaign finds old, obscure tweets from someone and attempts to ruin their life.

Also, fans did nothing to move the needle. The industry was very mad Disney capitulated to Cernovich and not over the nasty shit Gunn said. Blobb, you did nothing. You’re a nobody to Disney and Marvel.

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net

A 10 minute recap would be nice to at least tell the audience the cast of characters and the current MacGuffin.

It would help a lot of people. I don't find the Marvel series to be very memorable and have probably only seen GotG more than once. Probably because it works as a stand alone film despite the stuff that only exists as worldbuilding for the MCU slowing it down, whereas most of them don't work on their own.

I'm all for experimenting so no objection from me. We have an hour of previews as it is. Why not remove 1 for a recap? You could even mix it up with each segment being a unique style to that arc. Antman2 outright had a character do a recap in the middle of the film. Put that guy's voiceover at the front. How about an opera in front of Thor? 80s music video in front of GotG (oh wait, they did that AS AN AD!) Stan Lee himself should have done the avengers.

Just don't cut into the movie's runtime.

LordofCringe7206

kiwifarms.net

The thing is you don't have to see all the MCU films to understand what's going on in them. The first Avengers film was the first film in the MCU I ever saw, and I understood it just fine. I've never seen Winter Soldier, but when I saw Age of Ultron I was able to pick up relatively quickly that something had to have happened to S.H.I.E.L.D. since the last MCU film I saw.

The MCU does not have this complex running plot. All the films are pretty simplistic and formulaic, and you can easily pick up on what's happened in past films by just paying attention.

Chocolate Guy

kiwifarms.net
The thing is you don't have to see all the MCU films to understand what's going on in them. The first Avengers film was the first film in the MCU I ever saw, and I understood it just fine. I've never seen Winter Soldier, but when I saw Age of Ultron I was able to pick up relatively quickly that something had to have happened to S.H.I.E.L.D. since the last MCU film I saw.

The MCU does not have this complex running plot. All the films are pretty simplistic and formulaic, and you can easily pick up on what's happened in past films by just paying attention.
I second this as the one and only MCU film I have seen is Infinity War and I understood what was happening.

Reactions: Judge Dredd

SmileyTimeDayCare

kiwifarms.net
I can see him masturbating hard to this.
Yeah but no...even if Bob's dick worked at his weight it has long since been engulfed by his fat.

I’m calling it now, cape shit popularity is going to wind down post endgame. I know marvel/Disney have this grand vision with new heroes and arcs but it’s well past it’s 15 min at this point. This was a 10 year investment and it’s very stale and formulaic at this point. I see what happened with Star Wars happening again with future Marvel movies.

Bringing back the pedophile James Gunn is a Pyrrhic victory.
I'm going to see Endgame in the theater because it is the close of the MCU in my mind. I know CAAAAAARLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL is going to fucking ruin it for me but I have to see it out in style and it will be the last Marvel movie I pay for in any form. I suspect you are right that the brand will decline sharply after that movie.

The Shadow

I have SEVERAL questions
kiwifarms.net

I'm not calling them complex, just confusing. Keep in mind that Marvel Comics outside of maybe some Spider-Man stuff in the 90s have never been a part of my life.

Like...the weird space artifact shit right at the beginning feels like it's out of nowhere in Captain America. And I don't think it's mentioned again in the movie, although I only saw it on release.

I've read comics only rarely so I don't have much of a sense of the broader scope of it. And one of the reasons I coukd never get into it was the convoluted backstory and crossover events you need to know just to know who these people are and why I should care. I'm not even entirely sure what Shield even is other than Superhero CIA...or something?

I have the most normie perspective on this of maybe any media I've consumed and it's confusing when I'm supposed to know who all these new people are because I haven't seen their origin movie. I can't be the only one that feels like watching an MCU movie with friends feels more like a hostage situation where I'm afraid to ask questions than enjoyable entertainment.

I don't know if I just can't grasp weird comic book stuff in my 30's or if I'm getting dementia like Mike Stoklasa.

You've all been much nicer than I imagine Bob would be, because I'm sure he'd call me an inferior obsolete person for not getting this.

Last edited:

SmileyTimeDayCare

kiwifarms.net
“Fuck the right! The left are good guys!”
View attachment 697094

Man, he’s as immature with Gunn getting rehired as when he was immature when Gunn got fired.
View attachment 697095
Ah yes the noble left who attack people they don't like at home and in restaurants. Hit them from behind with eggs or bike locks. Want to tell you what you can eat, what you can drive, how much money you can make, where you can live, what job you can take, mmmmhmmmmm that total NOT fascist left that has been pushing for complete control over your life quietly for decades and now very loudly.

Bob is so delusional at this point he'd probably post the Cap speech that they stole from him and gave to a wamen thinking it was about the left.

Bob is such a tiresome, delusional, and hopefully dying soon(of natural causes) fascist. I feel comfortable calling him that as he has frequently expressed what he believes should happen to his inferiors.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
kiwifarms.net
Meanwhile, Bob has reported dozens of people off the site (myself include) for tweets that are not even close to being as bad as the horrible shit he puts out.
I'll take the :optimistic: ratings, but really, I don't expect them to do a fucking thing about him. He's got the Blue Check Mark of the favored caste and he has the right politics, even if he's one of the worst imaginable proponents for them short of an actual murderer.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino