Bob Ross's elusive paintings have been found -

U

UQ 770

kiwifarms.net
Its impressive to me that this guy remains one of the Internet Gods despite the fact that the majority of people probably saw him on PBS at an age where they could barely sit still for ten minutes. Myself included. I didn't watch his shows religiously, but I recall being bored to tears in some situations and quite content to sit and watch the man work. I still watch a clip or two every so often too. Even though everything he did was exactly the same, and to this day I find his paintings completely uninteresting to look at, and he repeated himself constantly.

Coelacanth

Your local cultural appropriating living fossil.
kiwifarms.net
I used to watch Bob Ross a lot as a kid. His program was always broadcasted on sky's art channels back when they actually had decent shit. While a lot of his paintings followed similar formulas I always enjoyed watching the man love what he was doing. Glad his art is being kept safe and sound!

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
I found the show weirdly hypnotic as a kid. Painting always seemed to be intimidating to me, so I appreciated seeing someone who was effortlessly making mountains with a few strokes of a brush or knife.

• Agree
Reactions: waffle

PoisonedBun

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its impressive to me that this guy remains one of the Internet Gods despite the fact that the majority of people probably saw him on PBS at an age where they could barely sit still for ten minutes. Myself included. I didn't watch his shows religiously, but I recall being bored to tears in some situations and quite content to sit and watch the man work. I still watch a clip or two every so often too. Even though everything he did was exactly the same, and to this day I find his paintings completely uninteresting to look at, and he repeated himself constantly.

I can't tell whether or not this is supposed to be a positive or negative comment. Man just wanted to paint some trees, though, and teach others how to paint some trees. Anyone passionate enough about their craft to teach it enthusiastically is respectable to me.

U

UQ 770

kiwifarms.net
I can't tell whether or not this is supposed to be a positive or negative comment. Man just wanted to paint some trees, though, and teach others how to paint some trees. Anyone passionate enough about their craft to teach it enthusiastically is respectable to me.
Its a testament to the skill and presentation of the man that I find everything about his work uninteresting but he still holds my attention while he's doing it. I'd consider that positive, to be honest.

FitBitch

kiwifarms.net
When we lived on base and I was very, very young, this show came on right before my dad had to go to work every morning we got up and ate cereal in the living room together and watched The Joy of Painting. It was a quiet time before a day of military activities would make my dad come home stressed and moody, and they were the best times we spent as a family. God bless Bob Ross.

Dom Cruise

too... many... books...
kiwifarms.net
It's still wild to think that this guy was originally a drill instructor in the Air Force. I can't even imagine him raising his voice, let alone barking orders.
The story goes he hated it and that's why he wanted to just be chill and calm and paint happy little trees for the rest of his life.

Reactions: Wannock and UQ 770

Alto

Space Doggity
kiwifarms.net
I love Bob. His show is the go-to thing to watch after a hectic day because it really relaxes you. Any time he brings on a baby animal and fusses over it is too precious for this world.

Reactions: NN 401

Francis E. Dec Esc.

kiwifarms.net
It's still wild to think that this guy was originally a drill instructor in the Air Force. I can't even imagine him raising his voice, let alone barking orders.
ACKSCHUALLY only the Marine Corps has drill instructors. Ross was a senior NCO (Master Sergeant IIRC) in charge of medical personnel at an Air Force base in Fairbanks, Alaska. That's where he got his love of painting winter landscapes.

Also, he was missing his left index finger. You can see it sometimes when the camera focuses on his palette.

N

NN 401

kiwifarms.net
Bob Ross is one of the those people almost universally reviled by the fine art and contemporary art world.

They say it’s because his paintings are generic and don’t follow “the rules” but I know it has more do with the fact that Ross demystified painting and art to the average schmoe.

Also, because he created his own empire around his art and he was his own man.

As opposed to his haters who must continue blow sunshine up rich peoples’ asses.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino