Book Publishing / Writing Guide Thread -

Books and Writing

• Books really aren't my thing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
They say everyone has a book waiting to be written, which is what this thread is all about, to help and share books we are writing or even have written.

I am an author. I've written and co-written six books so far, but by no means a bona-fide professional or a success. To help those on Kiwifarms who might be writing or starting to write to get books out there, I've put together a mega-post that could come in handy, there's a little plug to my book at the end, but I want this to be more about writing in general and getting independent authors onto the web, especially as it's hard to get noticed now. One example is this one, it's in ebook format so very suitable for the casual reader who doesn't want to drop 10 bucks on a paperback.

Here we go, buckle in and rattle those keys folks.... :)

Writing a book

When you want to write a book, it's important to write something you either know a lot about or enjoy writing about. Both are optimal but having one at the very least will carry the story. What size is important too. A 150,000 to 200,000 word epic is great, a novel length is considered optimal by some and is usually about 70,000 to 110,000 words. Bear in mind the editing and proof-reading will be a lot more grueling than a novella of 50,000 words. The epic length books will struggle with some audiences though, who prefer a shorter story, the shorter the story, the harder it can be to get the details in. That being said a veteran writer won't find this too much of a challenge.

The trend now with everything being digital this and that is for more concise stories, for better or worse.

Part of the magic is, and it's hard to put this into words, carrying the reader into your story. Personally I think this is easier to do with contemporary stuff set in a typical urban city (as that's where most readers tend to be) or similar than say fantasy or sci-fi content. You almost have to beguile and cast a spell on them, something best done in the first or second chapter.
This dove-tails into the next element of writing a story. Do you write in 1st or 3rd person?

Narrator-driven or character-driven?
Quite a few American folks, when they write a fictional story, will write in 1st person (at least from what I've seen). This is where the character directly relates the story to the reader. It's easier, it flows well and a story can be constructed faster. In my view it lacks broadness and can be shallow, developing other characters can be more difficult (more effort will get you there usually). That being said many classics are in 1st person.

I write in 3rd person, and do for all my books thus far. 3rd person is basically the narrator telling the story, your POV will move from character to character and place to place. You aren't fixed like it is in 1st Person. It is more difficult and longer to write in this way (I find) but you'll be able to cover all angles. The protagonists, the antagonists and the world itself can be covered easily.

The next facet to keep in mind is 'showing and not telling', I cannot state how hard I argued about this with other writers. To this day I'm not great at the concept as I'm a rambler-storyteller who expects the reader to self-frame and fill in the gaps and not a 'lead by the hand' writer.

Genre can be important too. I'm going to be frank here, some genres are better at making money than others these days. In my view and opinion, romance, self-help, erotic (which is putting it politely) and childrens books generally sell the best and generally in that order.
The public appetite for novella length romance is voracious for example.
If you are writing in most others you'll be looking at a somewhat smaller piece of the big pie.

Editing and Proof-Reading

Then comes the hard part, once you have written your story, spell-checked and grammar edited it the battle really begins. You may have written your book / story but realistically it's only the first draft NOT the finished product. I made my early errors with my first book years ago in thinking one or two sets of eyeballs scanning manuscripts were enough. No, you have to proof-read it many times to get 99% of the issues dealt with. Even novels that hit the big stores can sometimes have one or two minor issues like spacing off a little etc.

Paying an editor to proof-read your work is a faster and arguably more effective option than doing it yourself or even having friends and family help out. Off memory a publisher-grade editor will charge about 1 or 2 cents per word (word count can come into play on this). Sometimes though this isn't the fire-and-forget solution though as they may well do a good job and fix errors you've missed, but I've often seen criticism from authors that glaring issues remain. This can include word repetition not being fixed (you generally don't want to repeat words too often within 2-3 paragraphs, it'll 'tire / bore' the reader), context and flow, continuity and something as simple as character names not matching up as the story progresses.
Digital or Print?

Another thing is if you are writing an e-book or a paperback the book editing requires some fine-tuning and variation.

The former is generally needing some specific html editing for tables of contents and the layout etc. That being said, e-books are more forgiving than a paperback book in some ways. Errors on the latter are usually more glaring and obvious. On the paperback what may not be an issue, will show up as an issue on a digital copy and vice versa.

Getting a paperback done right is the real acid-test in some ways though. I actually went over hundreds of books already published to get a 'feel' for the look, headers, footers, drop-caps and so on. Fictional books have certain different traits / idiosyncracies to the layout compared to non-fictional books. I know people online who actually make a living from book-formating in this fashion to prepare books for publishing on Amazon and it can be considered if you haven't the time or patience to get it done yourself.

A third-option can be an audiobook. If you are going to get this done, it can be quite the endevour. Most will opt to pay a professional Voice Actor. This may be a money loss but I've had plenty of interest in this from truckers and people who drive a lot and don't have time to read a book at work, at home etc. I should get this done someday.

Promoting and Marketing

This is by far the toughest, most challenging thing for ANY writer who isn't connected with a big publishing house. Sometimes even then it can be tricky but as a one-man band unless you already have a large following from another angle you are going to struggle.

Internet Forums

This can be impossible / very difficult nowadays, even on dedicated writing forums.

About seven years ago I got typing from purely a fan-fiction POV and was making a little sale here and there, I eventually got my first book written and self-published onto Amazon. No restrictions or red-lines, book sales were nice and steady, but nothing to write home about. I wrote another three books and onto the forum they went too. At first I thought most of my sales were via people from Amazon just randomly buying my book but I soon learned this wasn't the case. Nearly all of them were from the forum I'd been using and posting about my book. I'd be messaging folks on there that liked my book about it too. I was later to learn this can be a no-no, especially when jealous types found out about it.

The forum I had actually started the story on was sold to a new group of people but they maintained the pretence of it being still under the old owner. The new management, went full on shekel-merchant and demanded I pay $$ every month for a merchant account. I wasn't making enough to cover the $$ and told them I couldn't do that. They pulled my links and deleted every reference to my books. This is why forums can be a double-edged sword.
Paid Adverts / Deals

Sometimes worth considering, some are better than others, especially those that get you traffic and interest.

Deals can be had on some online book outlets like Amazon where you have a period where your book is massively discounted and free. This can get people reading your book and the thinking behind it is that you get more people who hear about it buying it, along with extra-reviews.

Make a wide internet footprint.

Making a lot of reivews on other things on Amazon is another option, if you make enough of them someone can click on your username and then see what books you have written. Get onto various social media groups and start a channel, build a following and you'll get fans.

The upshot of self-publishing is you have complete creative control over your works. The same cannot be said of a big publishing house. They can make demands, chapter additions and even alter entire sections if they deem it 'appropriate'.

The Book Cover

The Book Cover is, along with the blurb, the deal maker or the deal breaker oftentimes. Ideally people would want to just buy books and treat the cover and blurb as tertiary things. Unfortunately it doesn't.

This is a book cover I personally designed myself to save some shekels. It's bloody awful and is from before I got better at artistry. Remember this is when I figured people weren't judging a book by its cover that much....

Looks natty and ratty. Good riddance, on we go.

So your other options are to get good at Photoshop / Illustrator (especially if you are designing a book cover for a paperback which is much more challenging, more on this in a later post).

My next attempt is probably the best I can do for stock footage, I kept it simple and interesting enough (in my view anyway lol).

Another option that is to pay for a stock art image and stick your own book title and author name at the top and bottom etc. It's not much more expensive to get an artist to play at tailoring a good book cover to exactly match the book. Which is what I usually go for nowadays. With my Air Captain book series, since there will be several of them, contracting an artist for each novella-sized book would be too expensive.

In general for a novel-sized book or larger, if I have the money to spare I'll usually drop it on a professional artist, which is what I later did for the earlier book. This one below cost me about $200-$250 going off memory, this isn't too much and usually will get you a collage of 2-3 stock images 'matched' to your book with bespoke fonts and looking great. :

Some artists that charge the earth will create a complete bespoke book cover and can charge $600 to $1,000+. This is usually something big book publishers will foot the bill for, especially to go for with books that are likely to really sell well. Pick up any fantasy book in the bookstores and you'll see what I mean by that etc.

Well, I've waffled and shilled about enough, what about you folks out there?

Post up your stories and books you personally have written down, questions and so on!

Here's my latest book, yes the cover art is a bit mismatched, but it's one I designed myself to save a few $$$ (as I'm a poor dude these days). Compared to my earliest incarnations I'm sure you can agree it's an improvement. :)

The Blurb

If the book cover isn't what grabs your potential reader into looking inside your book, the blurb will hopefully get them in the rest of the way. The blurb is basically the stuff you read on the back of every book (or on the inside flap of the dust-cover if it's a hard-back book) that tells you about it. It's a similar thing you see on DVDs and VHS tapes back in the day.

Now this seems simple, but there is an art to it.

Some people (called Copywriters) derive a good living from selling their services in writing blurb for the highest bidder, book publishers etc.
Where the book cover captures the eye and heart, the blurb can really get the mind racing and eager to see what is in the book.

I'm ok at blurb-writing but nothing special, the professionals can look at things from the outside and really sum it up with the best impact possible. The more extroverted, charismatic and fancy the blurb is the better generally.

Video Media

Videography is a nice to have addition in your skillset. Using it can make a video-trailer free and easy. Get it onto Youtube and spread the link around will generate interest.
Dont make it too long unless it's a for fans, then you can have it much longer. General rule of thumb is not more than five minutes. Get the main selling points / interest done, try and get people interested.

Where to Publish

Not so long ago you had to go cap in hand to the mainstream publishing houses. These are mainly in NYC and London. Chicago and down from there it's smaller and smaller. It's almost impossible to get your book published via them these days. More and more people write manuscripts and submit them to the publishers. Most get rejected and it's not cheap to print out a big, doube-spaced manuscript which may or may not be returned. JK Rowling got lucky though and she's made her fortune many times over with The Harry Potter series.

Agents

However to even stand a moderate chance you'll need an agent to act as a go-between. Agents are like databrokers to use a cyberpunky analogy. They will know which publishers like certain genres, will make sure your book looks presentable (they won't edit it but just make sure it's not awful to look at) and, if they like what they see, will get your manuscript looked at by the publishers. all over the place and can act as a good in-road but you'll be charged a percentage on your book sales. Royalties are usually 3-6 months at a time, unlike Amazon and others like it (which is monthly). That being said, your book sales and 'reach' will be considerable, and you'll be able to brag about being a 'proper' published author. If you are fortunate and your book sells well the publisher can start throwing cash-advances at you for sequels and so on. You have to be a best-seller / populist maestro of writing to get that typically. In either case, such a thing will serve as an incentive to write for deadlines etc.

Self-Publishing

For us lesser mortals self-publishing is generally the avenue, especially with E-Books / Kindle being a thing now. Back in the times of Pre-E-Book it used to be considered vanity-press. Which meant you'd pay some outfit money who would print your books for you and you'd have to try and sell them yourself!
Print on Demand works in a more lucrative form where people pay, then they print the book for them and take care of shipping etc.
Barns and Noble, Smashwords and Amazon (which took over Create Space recently) are your options.

Selling on your own website can work if you get decent traffic to it. For that though you'll have to get a print-on-demand done to your address then forward it on. Amazon does a discount for paperbacks. E-Books / Paperbacks you've successfully titled onto Amazon look like this:

Getting a book onto Amazon so it looks like this with all the formating protocols is sometimes another matter entirely, more on this in a later post (as I'm rambling enough as it is).

I've messaged the admin / senior dude in advance via the contact form at the bottom and received an 'ok' about starting this thread, hope I've not crossed any red-lines regarding links etc. Cheers.

Authored by

Fashy Airship

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
No offense, but The Air Captain's cover art literally made me think of that one lolcow author Norman Boutin and the art for Empress Theresa that he may-or-may-not have drawn himself. I dunno, just gives me the giggles.

Anyhoo, oh thank God you talked about book covers because I fucking love book covers. They indeed are the biggest eye-catcher, but my favorites don't involve models awkwardly cut out and pasted on some matte painting. No, it's the illustrations like for Harry Potter, The Series of Unfortunate Events, and the one that pretty much cemented my love for illustrated book covers, the Young Wizards series, such as So You Want to Be A Wizard.

I love everything about this cover from the style to the lighting to the layout, and I don't even know who the illustrator is. But I had decided as a ten-year-old that if I was going to ever write a book, I wanted to draw my own illustrations. And to this day, I still want to do that even if I write an adult book (even though I've pondered on whether-or-not I should just make a graphic novel instead). My only issue with it is that I have to plan out the layout on the header and margins so that the art can still pop without losing its detail, but I figured tweaking and designing the layout came last before the manuscripts could be sent out anyway.

I got a few ideas for a book I'd like to write that I think I know how it came to be. Well, there's like two incidents I can think of that may have sowed those seeds, one being when I was like nine and super into hamsters and Hamtaro that I thought it'd be great to write a story about hamsters having adventures that I still have saved on a bloody floppy disk gathering dust on my desk. And I might as well bring this up as well because who knows if it's even going to happen at this point, but when I was about 15, I had a dream involving a paranormal romance (this was like a year or two before that was even a recognized genre, thanks Twilight) between a troll warrior and a Catholic schoolgirl (have to mention she's Catholic because the story opens up with her bored and falling asleep during mass and dreaming she came across a magic mirror somewhere in the church) named Karida (lmao why) who may-or-may-not be a long-lost princess some troll/goblin spies were sent to assassinate. It made me go "Is this a sign???" and when I relayed the whole dream to a friend, she was all "Oh my God do it." So I kinda toyed with the idea to write it, but I never went anywhere with it because I dunno, probably fan fiction.

I've been writing for years prior to this dream anyway, but that was the moment where I was like, "I should write a book", and then my procrastinating ass really kicked in. But I still continued to come up with story ideas even if I wasn't going to do anything with them because I needed to entertain myself somehow. As of now, the ones I've continued to mainly focus on and draw pictures of the characters are magic-related stories--specifically homages or whatnot to the magical girl genre. So I guess they'd be going under the fantasy genre just for having magic.

My problem is, however, that I'm not sure if I know who my target audience is for these stories. Like I figured the one rule a writer must abide to is "Write for yourself" because you have a story you're passionate about sharing. So I think on the surface, most of my magical girl stories are for the Young Adult female demographic, though I have a magical girl story involving a married couple getting a mixed-up mail order and end up being contracted into becoming magical girls (though admittedly, I came up with the idea just because I thought it'd be hilarious to put the husband in a stereotypical fairy princess outfit). So I'm kind of all over the place, though the one that'd be for YA I see more as being a series, but I'm still working that out. At the moment, I'm just writing like it's a stand-alone book, and if the series gets to be pretty long, then I'll break it up--I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The problems don't stop there, because even if I do figure out the age group, these magical girl stories have one thing in common: themes of religion. The main characters of each of these stories is of a Christian denomination (although the YA series has multiple girls with different spiritual backgrounds, now that's true diversity) in which they use magic to fight off bad guys and protect their cities/families/world. And Christians and magic go together like oil on water. I'm sure it'll give some purists heart attacks to see on the cover a young witch with a crucifix stitched on the front of her bodice who quotes scripture as she calls upon her oil lamp staff the powers of God's light to strike down the monster of the week.

So! With my train of thought permanently derailed, how do you determine your demographic, I guess is the first question I'd like to ask. I have so much more to say and may have other questions as well, I'm just super bad at explaining myself, and even more-so because, well, risks of powerleveling and shit, and this post is getting too wordy as-is.

Sundae

Grim-Ass Puppet Dog
kiwifarms.net
My biggest problem when it comes to writing is trying to overcome my writer's block. My mind only seems to want to brainstorm ideas for novels when I'm at work or on the road, but when I sit down in front of my laptop to work on the book, I have a hard time focusing. I'm working on overcoming this obstacle.

Finrod Felagund

Cannot seem to stop rap-battling.
kiwifarms.net
I'm mostly concerned about the position of indie/self-publishing creators and presses in bibliographic control. I don't know about the rest of the world but from what I observed in several areas, they have the tendency to go scot-free without getting their publications assigned legitimate ISBNs and proper CIPs so to have them properly bound for bibliographic control, resulting in having whatever they published to become a ghost in the system i.e the bibliography. Amazon has ASIN for Kindle publications but is a completely different entity from ISBN because the former is not fully recognized as an international standard like ISBN.

My autistic powerleveling Library Science ass is autistic.

A Useless Fish

A Fish with literally no value, whatsoever.
kiwifarms.net
My biggest problem when it comes to writing is trying to overcome my writer's block. My mind only seems to want to brainstorm ideas for novels when I'm at work or on the road, but when I sit down in front of my laptop to work on the book, I have a hard time focusing. I'm working on overcoming this obstacle.
My advice would be, if possible, set a routine around the story you're currently writing. I've developed the habit over years now of writing for 30-40 minutes most mornings right after breakfast and browsing the Farms, before I then head off to work. If you do that enough times, in a row, then that autistic side of you will start getting severely bothered when you can't do it. If you can't write something during one of these times, then a good way to break the block is research of the topic whatever scene you are working on is going to involve. This can lead to a lot of inspiration, I've found, which in turn can hopefully break the block.

Inspiration is crucial, but self-discipline is, too.

Also, as a general bit of advice to anyone here who wants to be a writer: do not keep it to yourself. You need at least one friend who will read your stuff, and respects you enough to point out when you are doing something that either makes no sense, or incredibly cliche or stupid. I cannot count the number of times idiotic decisions I have made that would have ruined everything in the narrative of the novels I am working on were spotted and called out by a friend of mine who also acts as my beta reader and editor. Who could have guessed friendship really could be magic?

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
Probably the biggest aspect I had to improve on back when I started getting serious about my writing was the dialogue tagging. Conversations between characters become a tedious mess if that shit isn’t tightened up,

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
No offense, but The Air Captain's cover art literally made me think of that one lolcow author Norman Boutin and the art for Empress Theresa that he may-or-may-not have drawn himself. I dunno, just gives me the giggles.

Anyhoo, oh thank God you talked about book covers because I fucking love book covers. They indeed are the biggest eye-catcher, but my favorites don't involve models awkwardly cut out and pasted on some matte painting. No, it's the illustrations like for Harry Potter, The Series of Unfortunate Events, and the one that pretty much cemented my love for illustrated book covers, the Young Wizards series, such as So You Want to Be A Wizard.

So! With my train of thought permanently derailed, how do you determine your demographic, I...
Hey there!

Yeah you got it, literally models I've drawn thunked on down onto a background image. This is why I usually get the services of a bona-fide artist who is able to weave blending magic on stuff as you see with Beyond The Underworld.

I think my demographic has generally been the Gen X to Boomer generation and even Silent Generation. This is partly due to the genre of Post Apocalyptic fiction being interwoven into the duck-and-cover generation along with the Cold War that they grew up in. As well as other contemporary film media like Mad Max etc.

As to the book cover, I think he painted Empress Theresa himself, it looks like it isn't fully digital aside from the title and author name.
Yeah maybe one day I'll get my artist-for-hire to work her magic.

For the next ones in the series I'll probably just do the airship and focus on that.

Last edited:

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
Probably the biggest aspect I had to improve on back when I started getting serious about my writing was the dialogue tagging. Conversations between characters become a tedious mess if that shit isn’t tightened up,
Yeah I know what you mean, Cormac McCarthy is a strange writer in that he doesn't even tag / use quote marks etc.

It does get easier the more you edit / proof-read.

Last edited:

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
I think one of the biggest problems for many young writers comes from the constant bombardment of media.
It really takes a lot to write something that isn't either derivative or too outhere without really being groundbreaking.
More so now than ever before I think.

It's for this reason I rarely like to read other media that much, sure you might get some inspiration on something, but the risk of being 'bogged-down' into a funk of info-gabble can be a thing too.

When I go on writing mode I often do it in a busy area, but not too busy. The energy of the area can help with the inspirational process.Proof-reading and editing I find are easier in quieter places.

I don't think there's a one-size fits all solution for this sort of thing, each writer has to find his own 'harmonics' generally.

D

DK 900

kiwifarms.net
Did Amazon bully you out of the subtitle?

Old Amazon Page
Current
Goodreads page for book

Here's an author tip: don't advertise your politics on your page

In all honesty, I think your advice is well-intentioned, but I disagree with most of it. And the decision not pay for a professionally made cover was definitely a mistake.

Edit: spelling

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
The 'progressive' stranglehold of media and their promotion over people who were massively more traditional and conservative is downright scary and has been going on since at least the 1960s. In fact if you put the authors of fiction of the early 1900s in a mainstream publishing house nowadays they'd be censored in an instant. Ironically many of these have inspired authors who could be called progressive themselves.

I get the feel on this forum there's a broad-brush of people who are independent for the most part but lean to being edgy, but you'll never please everyone as a writer, even Stephen King has his critics, especially in his more recent stuff.

I changed the Air Captain sub-title due to it being too wordy and basically if you aren't wanting some old-school adventure (before the pozz and SJW shit crept in), my books aren't for you. The worst leftist types (some of whom are already reading this) really hate anyone who isn't like them AND will try and drag your work through the mud at their level.

One of the things that occurs now is a thing called 'brigading' where you'll get someone with an online following, disagreeing with another persons politics, who happens to write or make videos etc. At this point you might think 'So what?'

What happens next is they'll encourage their minions to go forth (usually via Twitter) and 1-star review / thumb-down the said books / videos of the person they disagree with, normally with some token comment that rarely even reflects the contents of the book. SJWs are the worst offenders of this, often vectored in via their blue-checkmark masters. Right-wing types, New Right (also called Alt-Lite) etc will just get banned if they sound 'too scary or edgy' though. Not so the blue-checkmark crew though, they are akin to the Kommissars of cool in the eyes of Twitter, so be aware of that.

They pull a similar move against people in the media they don't like such as Tucker Carlson by harrassing him in a restaurant and even at his house. Same types, different style.

On here it's trolls I guess? But trolls can sometimes be funny too (often inadvertently).

I nailed my colors to the mast a long time ago and the haters gotta hate on that I guess, but this fashy ship has rolled to worse than them and righted itself so a few little gusts from the favella won't do any harm. ;)

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: DK 900

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
Paperback formating process.

Getting a digital book done isn't as challenging as the paperback version. More fickle, lots of little idiosyncracies to be aware of too. Yet at the end of the day, having that book in your hand is lot more wholesome in my view than even a Kindle device with your digi book on it.
Cover Art

The cover-art has to not only be part of the main cover, but the spine and the back cover as well. Additionally you must format your blurb (which goes on the back cover) to be away from any bar-code (which goes in the bottom right section).

Here's an example:

Compared to a digital cover:

A big difference in layout compared to the paperback cover, especially matching to the physical product that will come of a printworks. You don't want the spine to be offset etc.

Back in the days of CreateSpace this was not so easy. Trade-size format is 6 x 9 which got your overall height and width to work with for a very low-word count book. Why a very low-word count? Here's why.
If you had more than about 150 pages or so the spine would be considered big enough for a title as well. You then had to do a calculation based on the type of paper thickness by the page number. THEN factor that into the formating.

Only then could you plot on your book cover what was going where. You also have to content with the bleed-factor. In laymans terms this is going to mean your cover image will be trimmed BACK from the border due to the bleed of the ink run-off at the edges. To square this circle I allow a buffer zone and keep all my title, author text etc to be well clear of this 'zone'.

A template guide with step-by-step instructions was downloadable, but unless you did this sort of thing as a profession the first time was tricky and a bit steep on the learning curve.

Nowadays though Amazon's take-over of CreateSpace has helped streamline this process. They now have the publishing interface fancy enough that you can see in real-time what the book-cover will look like, with spine borders, bleed areas etc. Additionally you can't even launch a book onto the shelves of Amazon without any text being clear of the spine borders / bleed area.

Artists charge more if you want to have a full-sized paperback cover. So what you can do is get a digital cover done (see second image) then add the spine and blurb on yourself to save some shekels. HOWEVER some artists are aware of this trick and may only do the cover image in a medium resolution or one lower than that of the paperback requirement (which is usually to the magnitude of approx. 3800 x 2800.

Like other aspects of self-authoring your work, there are people who can do this for those that cannot. You can find them online like on Fivvr or other gig-economy places.

• Informative
Reactions: DK 900
D

DK 900

kiwifarms.net
I changed the Air Captain sub-title due to it being too wordy and basically if you aren't wanting some old-school adventure (before the pozz and SJW shit crept in), my books aren't for you.
I don't know why you're being disingenuous about the nature of your work, but it isn't worth stirring the pot over. Your other post is very helpful, though. I want to get a document printed, but not published (just to keep it in the family). Do you know anything about how to do that? Hope that's not too off topic.

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
I'm hearing something, but it's very distorted. Like a spanner being thrown in the works, rattling off and spinning off at a tangent...

On another note, this is an example of an audiobook using someone who has a good voice for it. Just a short excerpt but you get the picture.

Last edited:

Lemmingwise

Blamer
kiwifarms.net
One of the things that occurs now is a thing called 'brigading' where you'll get someone with an online following, disagreeing with another persons politics, who happens to write or make videos etc.
Yeah, there was a point where I was somewhat feminist aligned, never having taken a close look at politically alugned stuff. Then I saw things happening with right wing people being banned from various art ventures, but feminist friends told me I was taking things too seriously.

I tried taking their advice and instead listen to a moderately funny feminist podcast (I know hard to believe, but it was).

Then at some point they talked about review bombing some irrelevant mra, who had reasonable points and was easy to shit on because all mra's are also betas.

It put a bad taste in my mouth because though it was framed as a joke, they also asked listeners to review bomb it, without any discussion of what was inside. I asked these friends what they thought of it, and they said: "well isn't that a good thing?". So don't take it serious when its others, but take it serious when they're getting shit on.

There is more to the story, but they're not my friends anymore. They were kinda fuckups, but by virtue of being the right type of feminist they are asked on tv and radio all the time.

Just underscoring the left's still dominant stranglehold on institutional culture.

Anyways thanks for sharing the knowledge. I'm sure it's part of marketing for you, but you're certainly doing that in a way it's useful by sharing something worth reading.

• Feels
Reactions: Fashy Airship

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
Proof-Editing / Reading.

If there's one thing that separates the men from the boys, the women from the girls and an author in general it's the proofing process.

Now the shorter the story / book, the easier this is. In fact for something like a literal short-story of about 7,000 to 10,000 words you could do it yourself just by carefully scanning the monitor / screen line-by-line, doing the usual spell-check and grammar checks. This process wouldn't take too long either.

Me personally, I would print it out, give it a good read-through and maybe send an email to friends to proof-read. For anything less than a short-story, the requirements are even less strenuous.

Once you get into the longer stories the methodology and strain on a writer for proof-reading becomes considerable.

My first full-length novel was a book called Mountain Hold and it came in at a bumper 114,000 words (over 400 pages at 6x9 trade size!).
I thought just me and a friend could check the thing through a few times via the tools of Microsoft Word. Wrong. It was still a mess. To enlist an actual editor would have cost an absolute fortune (I was quoted as much as $1,000 by those in the know).

It was time to roll up my sleeves and get stuck in, what I did was spend a few $$ on printing the entire thing out and reading through the entire manuscript line by line. This is how I do it for all my books.

The Manuscript

As you are reading through it, ideally you'll find minimal errors and edits to make. I used a pencil and annotate where necessary.

The examples shown is not really the correct spacing for reviewing by a professional editor nor would it be printed in a mirrored, landscape-fashion. Editors usually prefer it to be double-spaced for fast, ease of reading, in portrait and in a specific font (Arial IIRC). However for self-editing in this way it is fine if you don't mind the slower fashion. Also I am a bit cheap for the print costs and with the use of a ruler or similar you can read through it almost as fast.

This is the 'true' way for letting the pros look at it:

The thing here is also how 'deep' you go with your proof-reading. Often after reading through your story a few times you may realize how poorly written sections are, a lack of continuity or even things that are just over-written. So that can create a bigger thing to work on within the proof-edit. This is why while other eyeballs reading your work are recommended, they probably won't say or pick up on the micro-editing it requires.

It took me nearly a month to edit Mountain Hold in this fashion ON PAPER and almost as long for the follow-up book.

I say on paper as once all the annotations and corrections are made now comes the next chore; digitally entering all of it into your book on the hard-drive! This entire process is probably the worst part of writing a book even writers block (which doesn't affect me too much) is better than the editing process. I am not joking, just one chapter was often enough for a day it was that laborious and draining mentally. Yet it's a tried and true method that gets you the results and will slay nearly all the gremlins. I say nearly all as you may need to do this more than once or bring in friends and other proof-readers to make a few more scans of the book.

For this reason I'd advising authors on here to consider NOT writing an epic or long novel for their first attempts at writing. Start shorter and it's a better ride.

It's a very good idea to back-up your work onto a dongle just in case your laptop or tower PC blows up. The older it is the more chance. Typically it's hard-drive failure that can bite you (which may or may not be recoverable). So be aware folks.

A shorter book like this one which is only 100 pages or so is a good stepping stone before you climb higher.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino