Book recommendations -

Some Manajerk

kiwifarms.net
If you like history, Barbara Tuchman has a writing style that helps make it interesting.
A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th century. Focuses mainly on France and England during the Hundred years War and the Black Death, but touches on other nations as well
The Proud Tower. About the state of Europe and parts of the world in the years leading up to WWI. a very nice look into how things were seething below the surface of what appeared to be a golden age.
The Guns of August. About the first few months of WWI, from before the declarations of war right up to the Battle of the Marne.

Dr. Ricearoni

This isn't even my most autistic form
kiwifarms.net
Read Don Quixote, just for shits and giggles. The full unabridged version is long as shit and goes off on some many tangents that despite reading the entire thing I genuinely could not tell you what the second half was about. Also I love that the author hated fan fiction so much that it influences the ending, and this was in the fucking 1600's. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Doug_S1

Bloomberg 2024
kiwifarms.net
What type of books do you like? Fiction or Non-fiction? History, philosophy, etc.?

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The 120 Days of Sodom
Naked Lunch
Maldoror
The Consumer
The Eyes
American Psycho
Crash
Babyfucker
Extraterrestrial Sex Fetish
Story of the Eye
The 11,000 Rods
Panzram: a Journal of Murder
Cows
The Conspiracy Against The Human Race

Last edited:

Boris Blank's glass eye

Ring the bell, Roll down the street
kiwifarms.net
You didn't specify a genre, or if you want to read something deep-ish or just something entertaining.
Frank Herbert's Dune.
Asimov's whole Foundation series. No, not Prelude to Foundation to Foundation and Earth, the whole fucking thing beginning with Caves of Steel.
Ursula K. Le Guin also had her Hainish Cycle. I don't care much for her fantasy books, but her sci-fi was pretty good.
Stanislaw Lem. He got bitter and disillusioned in his later works, but I still prefer Fiasco to the more popular Tales of Pirx the Pilot.

I generally enjoy the works of French author Robert Merle, but they cover a wide range of topics and genres.
Week-end at Zuydcoote is a wartime story without much actual fighting. Demoralised French troops.
The Day of the Dolphin is more of a sci-fi thriller about training dolphins communication for military use.
Malevil and The Virility Factor (dumb fucking title, the original French Les hommes protégés, or Protected Men works a lot better) are two very different doomsday scenarios. Malevil deals with a group of survivors after a hypothetical "clear" nuclear explosion without fallout, Protected Men is about drastic societal change thanks to a deadly virus targeting men.
And there's his Fortunes de France series, which is mostly accurate historical fiction.

You could also read the OG Catch-22, The Good Soldier Švejk, if you can find it.

Reactions: Viral Vigilante

MeganDodgedABullet

kiwifarms.net
Messengers of deception by Jacques Valle
Devils Guard - by Anon?
Legionnaire by Simon Murray ( a posh Brit in the foreign legion during the end of the Algerian era)
also shit about the Nam tunnels , can't remember titles..

Coelacanth

Your local living fossil.
kiwifarms.net
The Art of War by Stephen Pressfield. A good book if you're looking for something that will help you figure out why you don't want to work on your autistic projects. The follow up book Turning Pro is also very good if you want to go beyond pushing back against the things that stop you from reaching your goals.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: verissimus

Dr W

I shall fear no evil
kiwifarms.net
The Art of War by Stephen Pressfield. A good book if you're looking for something that will help you figure out why you don't want to work on your autistic projects. The follow up book Turning Pro is also very good if you want to go beyond pushing back against the things that stop you from reaching your goals.
Fucking sold, I'll see if I can find it on pdfdrive or whatever.

Reactions: Coelacanth

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, I’d recommend starting with Guards!Guards! and reading the whole series with Vimes, then check reading lists for the other series within the series, before going back and reading the books from before Guards!Guards! That’s the book where he really started to grasp the world he was developing. Some single books that are fun are Pyramids, Moving Pictures, and Small Gods.

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
Waiting Period by Hubert Selby Jr: It's a great book, and it's about a guy who is a total sped, and he decides to blow his brains out, so buys a gun, but didn't realise there was 14 days waiting time, so instead of throwing his life away, he decides to spend all his time and effort disposing of those who he feels deserve to die. (1st edition had real plans to make cyanide and botulism).

Same author:

The Willow Tree. Very violent, very racial, very human and a love story also.

Both of those are not long reads...

Same author again:
Requiem for a Dream ,although it is not set in the same time period (70's vs 00's) as the film, and has a completely different outcome, bit longer but a good read.
Plus Jared Leto isn't in the book which is a bonus...

Last edited:

ApatheticViewer

Devotee of Nihilist Satanic Leftism
kiwifarms.net
The book that got me into reading was The Count of Monte Cristo. Unabridged of course. That entire book is a masterpiece of pure revenge. The movie is fucking garbage tho.

Other then that all of Bret Easton Ellis is great too. Glamorama is underrated af. Actually funny and pretty gory plot about terrorist supermodels. Copied by Zoolander

Also there's this weird thing where the entire book is apparently a movie being filmed. You can't really tell what's real or happening in the script. There's frequent moments when the plot stops because they need to redo scenes or talk to the director. Characters you see are frequently replaced by other actors. Etc. It's really bizarre

Last edited:
Tags
None