Books You Don’t Remember the Name or Author of - Because if I can’t remember the name, it’ll drive me crazy

• DDoS is active again.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’m mainly starting this thread to see if anyone remembers a specific book title, but I figure other people can also use it if they run into the same problem.

From what I can remember, it was a young adult book where this kid goes to a beach house for the summer and meets a couple people who invite him to play this board game about different alien races competing to find a winning item. The game had cards that would explain the different aliens and where they come from, and the goal was that whoever found the mystery item would be the only alien race to not have its planet blown up. One of the big twists of the book is the board game is completely real and the people he’s playing with are the same aliens they’re playing as, disguised as humans, and now that the kid agree to play the board game, he’s entered the Earth in the contest to find the Thing or Earth gets blown up and by the end of it, the kid finds the thing(it might have been an AI bit or something) and that the whole “plants except the winner die” thing was made up by the creator so the game would never end. Kid says “fu k this” and releases the Thing into space so the other aliens stop trying to kill him over it.

I remember being really intrigued by it and want to give it another read, even if it ends up not being as good as I remember. Does it ring a bell to anyone?

Last edited:

ZombiefiedFerret

Itchy. Tasty.
kiwifarms.net
There was this book I got when I was a kid at one of those scholastic book fairs. It had like a greyish goblin looking creature with branches and leaves growing out of it and it was coming out of a dark forest with red leaves, it had an autumn feel to it. I think it was written by a couple of brothers.
I always meant to read the book but I would always get caught up with other interests being a scatterbrained kid and all, so I never got through it. I think it might of had a dnd element to it or some board game type stuff, I distinctly remember dice being talked about in the beginning of the book.

Orion Balls

Woogie Woo!
kiwifarms.net
There was this book I got when I was a kid at one of those scholastic book fairs. It had like a greyish goblin looking creature with branches and leaves growing out of it and it was coming out of a dark forest with red leaves, it had an autumn feel to it. I think it was written by a couple of brothers.
I always meant to read the book but I would always get caught up with other interests being a scatterbrained kid and all, so I never got through it. I think it might of had a dnd element to it or some board game type stuff, I distinctly remember dice being talked about in the beginning of the book.
How old were you, and was it a picture book?

Orion Balls

Woogie Woo!
kiwifarms.net
I already know the answer but I want to see how well you do.

alien crash lands on earth and has to live in the body of a skunk.
Stinker From Space. Too easy, but now I want to read it.

The book going only by the cover is fun. Is it a cover more like

a82804e60698a96081106aec6743c00dc35a5ca4.jpg
Or this?

248373.jpg
Both are Scholastic books.
E- I know it can't be the first one, it came out in 2012, I'm just trying to get a feel for the art.

Just A Butt

are you some sort of mexican?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay, now for a hard one.

I had a book similar to what @ZombiefiedFerret described. It was more or less a self contained RPG. This one was based in Camelot, and there was some weird fungus plague fucking everything up.

In the back of the book were instructions on how to make stuff needed to "play" the game. One I remember in particular was called a Spook Basher or something like that.

I've been looking for this book for years, as I have very fond memories of goofing off with it.

Orion Balls

Woogie Woo!
kiwifarms.net

I had a book similar to what @ZombiefiedFerret described. It was more or less a self contained RPG. This one was based in Camelot, and there was some weird fungus plague fucking everything up.

In the back of the book were instructions on how to make stuff needed to "play" the game. One I remember in particular was called a Spook Basher or something like that.

I've been looking for this book for years, as I have very fond memories of goofing off with it.
Was it a novel or an actual game system?
Oh, G-d. This is unrealted but I haven't played Pendragon in forever! I'm gonna have to scrounge up those books, today. All have a great day!

Last edited:

Just A Butt

are you some sort of mexican?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Was it a novel or an actual game system?
A little bit of both, but mostly a game. Lots of dice rolls, you had HP you were meant to keep track of, all that jazz. But it was designed around just one player.

Also, if it helps, the main villain was some sort of Pigman creature.

E: it was like one of those "choose your adventure" books, but with RPG mechanics.

one more E: I seem to remember it being part of a series, but I never had any of the other books.
I just remember a bit in the start about how "if you have gold and stuff leftover from your previous adventures, you can use it, otherwise you get this basic crap"

thank you for your help!
:feels:

Last edited:

Orion Balls

Woogie Woo!
kiwifarms.net

Was it a novel or an actual game system
A little bit of both, but mostly a game. Lots of dice rolls, you had HP you were meant to keep track of, all that jazz. But it was designed around just one player.

Also, if it helps, the main villain was some sort of Pigman creature.

E: it was like one of those "choose your adventure" books, but with RPG mechanics.
So akin to one of the Fighting Fantasy books?

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
It's worse when the book you read has such a common name that was written by a bajillion different authors that are vastly different from one another

thirdeye.jpg

I read this book in high school. One of my teachers had a book shelf with a bunch of Lois Duncan books all small softcover books like this that had a completely black background and each book had the author's name in a different color. After high school I completely forgot who the author was but it was these distinct features that I was able to figure out who the author was via google search

Pics to prove my point:
duncan01.jpg
duncan02.jpg
duncan03.jpg

ZombiefiedFerret

Itchy. Tasty.
kiwifarms.net
Stinker From Space. Too easy, but now I want to read it.

The book going only by the cover is fun. Is it a cover more like

View attachment 1714219
Or this?

View attachment 1714220
Both are Scholastic books.
E- I know it can't be the first one, it came out in 2012, I'm just trying to get a feel for the art.
It looked more like the second one. Here's my mspaint masterpiece rendition.
1604756998257.png

Orion Balls

Woogie Woo!
kiwifarms.net
It's worse when the book you read has such a common name that was written by a bajillion different authors that are vastly different from one another

View attachment 1714253

I read this book in high school. One of my teachers had a book shelf with a bunch of Lois Duncan books all small softcover books like this that had a completely black background and each book had the author's name in a different color. After high school I completely forgot who the author was but it was these distinct features that I was able to figure out who the author was via google search

Pics to prove my point:
View attachment 1714263View attachment 1714265View attachment 1714267
I loved Lois Duncan!