Books You Don’t Remember the Name or Author of - Because if I can’t remember the name, it’ll drive me crazy

horrorfan89

Master of SCARE-imonies!
kiwifarms.net
Literally all I can remember about this book I must have read as a real little kid was it had a watercolor illustration of a cat looking glum because it has to get a tomato juice bath from its owner, possibly because it got sprayed by a skunk. I think its name was George? The only line I remember is "George you smell worse than a skunk in a pig's throat. "

It's so odd, this could be a memory from I was so young that it may not even be real. Just a fragment my mind is making up because it's combing so far back into my memory that I may as well be trying to remember being an infant.

Purple Pepsi

Feeling thirsty?
kiwifarms.net
I remember the cover was white with red lettering, and it was told in first person POV about a truck driver who murdered women along his route. It was nonfiction and an actual (auto)biography, but it had a ghostwriter instead of the actual guy in prison writing it.

The Vicar

Why yes, I will have some more tea.
kiwifarms.net
I remember the cover was white with red lettering, and it was told in first person POV about a truck driver who murdered women along his route. It was nonfiction and an actual (auto)biography, but it had a ghostwriter instead of the actual guy in prison writing it.
This may be I: The Creation of a Serial Killer by Jack Olsen (2003). Partly written in the first person, it tells the story of Keith Hunter Jesperson (aka the "Happy Face Killer").

I-cover.jpg

You Bastard Guy

Allah be praised, it`s raining fags!
kiwifarms.net
Ok, I’m going to give this a try.

It was some random discarded book I picked up in a bus station in the mid 90s, of all times and places. It was a paperback, had a black cover, and the author was someone I didn’t recognize and can’t remember. It is a collection of short pitch-black gothic fantasy horror stories. The only story I read was about a couple of peasants who ran away to be together, and who ended up staying with a wizard. The woman gets pregnant, and the wizard slowly transforms her (or both of them) into a tree,

I read that, stashed it in my bag, and fell asleep. Then I changed buses a couple of times in quick succession. When I got on my next long bus, I reached for it and discovered to my horror that I had somehow lost it. Even now, it may be roaming bus station waiting areas or stuck between seats on a Greyhound, waiting to ensnare its next victim…

Rezza

kiwifarms.net
This thread reminds me of a children's book I read back at middle school. It's translated to our language, so I can't really remember the title. The story is about a group of kids who due to something about career day in their school, hypnotized themselves and believed they're reincarnation of people in the past. I remember two of them believe they are reincarnation of Einstein and a race horse. It think it's an Australian novel, maybe? Can't really remember. The story and the ending was pretty weird. I want to know what else the authors made since it's quite trippy to read

glass_houses

not a bumblebee
kiwifarms.net
This thread reminds me of a children's book I read back at middle school. It's translated to our language, so I can't really remember the title. The story is about a group of kids who due to something about career day in their school, hypnotized themselves and believed they're reincarnation of people in the past. I remember two of them believe they are reincarnation of Einstein and a race horse. It think it's an Australian novel, maybe? Can't really remember. The story and the ending was pretty weird. I want to know what else the authors made since it's quite trippy to read
Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me! I know this one!

It's an episode of a tv series and a book, both written by Morris Gleitzman, an Australian children's author.

Book here.

IMDB entry here.

And here's the tv episode in question.

Rezza

kiwifarms.net
Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me! I know this one!

It's an episode of a tv series and a book, both written by Morris Gleitzman, an Australian children's author.

Book here.

IMDB entry here.

Ah, yes....this is the one. God...the book was quite decent until the ending. It was trippy to read it.
Turns out I only remember the subtitle the local publisher put for the translated edition

Night Owl

How long have I waited...
kiwifarms.net
I had this book when I was a kid, but I can't find it. It was big and red, about the size of a small coffee table. There were dwarves or gnomes on the cover, riding some sort of flying machine. The book itself was about these dwarves/gnomes going on a journey in a airship and the only reason I remember that was because there was a full spread of the cutaway airship somewhere in the book and it detailed each compartment as to what it did to operate the ship. I think there was even a list of supplies they were going to take with them written right next to it. I don't remember much of the story apart from the fact they crash the airship at some point and have to build another. I think the second airship was the one on the cover.

I've had no luck googling it so far.
Never mind, I found it. My brother took it with him and I never asked because I thought it was destroyed years ago. I was wrong about the cover after all; it was a raft, not an airship.

dfsdfrsd.jpgjkjhk.jpg
It doesn't seem the book even has an English translation, so no wonder it was so difficult to find.

The Vicar

kiwifarms.net
Never mind, I found it. My brother took it with him and I never asked because I thought it was destroyed years ago. I was wrong about the cover after all; it was a raft, not an airship.

View attachment 2308474View attachment 2308475
It doesn't seem the book even has an English translation, so no wonder it was so difficult to find.

Was this really a kids' book? What's with all the little nudists worshipping/sacrificing things to the giant spider!?

IMG_20170922_160806_649.jpg

Last edited:

Shig O'nella

Smells of fresh baked lead
kiwifarms.net
Ok, I’m going to give this a try.

It was some random discarded book I picked up in a bus station in the mid 90s, of all times and places. It was a paperback, had a black cover, and the author was someone I didn’t recognize and can’t remember. It is a collection of short pitch-black gothic fantasy horror stories. The only story I read was about a couple of peasants who ran away to be together, and who ended up staying with a wizard. The woman gets pregnant, and the wizard slowly transforms her (or both of them) into a tree,

I read that, stashed it in my bag, and fell asleep. Then I changed buses a couple of times in quick succession. When I got on my next long bus, I reached for it and discovered to my horror that I had somehow lost it. Even now, it may be roaming bus station waiting areas or stuck between seats on a Greyhound, waiting to ensnare its next victim…
Jane Yolen, Midnight Circus?

Sounds like her sort of tale.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Long shot.

In elementary I had this large picture book that described many major wars from human history. Each war was given a full two page portrait explaining every little detail. Notes on uniforms, some historical context for the war, etc.

The portraits for the Russian Civil War and World War 1 were especially brutal.

Pee Cola

Very good cola
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I was little, I read a book about a kid who became a toothpaste entrepreneur after finding out what his mother paid for a tube of toothpaste from the store. He looked at the ingredients and found that baking soda was on the list and realised that a bag of baking soda was cheap, so he started making his own toothpaste using baking soda and charged a nickel a jar for it. He used empty baby food jars instead of tubes, as he had a baby brother or sister at the time.

IIRC it had a black kid on the cover and the book looked like it was published in the early-mid '70s.

Book here.

IMDB entry here.

I vaguely remember seeing this back in the day, probably at school. The only bits I remembered were the junkyard and the kid that thought he was Einstein because he saw a TV show about learning German, and the presenter was holding a beer stein and saying "ein stein".

Last edited:

The Vicar

kiwifarms.net
When I was little, I read a book about a kid who became a toothpaste entrepreneur after finding out what his mother paid for a tube of toothpaste from the store. He looked at the ingredients and found that baking soda was on the list and realised that a bag of baking soda was cheap, so he started making his own toothpaste using baking soda and charged a nickel a jar for it. He used empty baby food jars instead of tubes, as he had a baby brother or sister at the time.

IIRC it had a black kid on the cover and the book looked like it was published in the early-mid '70s.

This one's easy - The Toothpaste Millionaire by Jean Merrill, first published in 1972. It's had a few covers over the years:
TheToothpasteMillionaire72.jpg
TheToothpasteMillionaire2.jpg
TheToothpasteMillionaire.jpg

glass_houses

not a bumblebee
kiwifarms.net
I vaguely remember seeing this back in the day, probably at school. The only bits I remembered were the junkyard and the kid that thought he was Einstein because he saw a TV show about learning German, and the presenter was holding a beer stein and saying "ein stein".
I remembered the episode as someone believing they were the reincarnation of Henry Ford. I didn't link what I watched all those years ago with the description that was given, however; what gave it away was someone thinking they were the reincarnation of a racehorse. If it's an Australian book and someone thinks they're a racehorse, of course they think they're Phar Lap. So I just searched for Phar Lap + children's book + reincarnation and ended up with Morris Gleizman as the first search result.

Rezza

kiwifarms.net
I suddenly remember this book I had when I was very young. It was a book about an aunt who decided to visit her sisters around the world using a hot-air balloon, along with her niece and nephew. Each sister is in a different country, and it serves as a plot hook to teach the readers about the country's culture and such. It also has a "where's waldo" type segment on each country/sister

HunterHearstHelmsley

kiwifarms.net
Interesting, I didn’t know Morris Gleitzman had his work adapted to TV. My immediate thought was that it might be Paul Jennings.

Do you know the name of a Australian kids TV show which ran Friday nights on the the ABC in the early 2000s. It was episodical short horror(ish) stories. I remember particularly one where a boy crawled through a pillow fort into a WW1 trench.

glass_houses

not a bumblebee
kiwifarms.net
Interesting, I didn’t know Morris Gleitzman had his work adapted to TV. My immediate thought was that it might be Paul Jennings.

Do you know the name of a Australian kids TV show which ran Friday nights on the the ABC in the early 2000s. It was episodical short horror(ish) stories. I remember particularly one where a boy crawled through a pillow fort into a WW1 trench.
A bit of searching leads me to a show called 'Freaky', released in 2003. I suspect the episode in question is episode 11, 'Fort, Photo and Pioneer'.