Boomer Tech Thread - *crack* *sip* Yep, the C64 was a good computer.

Harvey Danger

getting tired of this whole internet thing
kiwifarms.net
I miss having absolute control over Windows in the Win9x days. You could make huge changes to functionality in RegEdit, make mess with all kinds of settings in .inf files, swap out system executables for your own versions, etc. The only black boxes were DLLs, and they were still simple enough that you could hack something apart with a hex editor and rudimentary programming skills. A simple firewall would let you track every single byte that traveled over a network, and programs wouldn't outright die when you blocked them from the network.

Microsoft got me off Apple products by letting me do what I want, while Apple walled it all off. Now Windows 10 talks to whoever it wants, on its own, and I can't change it or hack its components apart to stop it.

Fax machines...a technology that should be long dead, but is still in surprisingly wide use.
You know how every company now requires a mobile phone to verify your login with texts? Or a valid e-mail address, but every e-mail provider requires a valid phone as well?

That's identity management, outsourced. Fax lines are the same thing: a physical document sent through an established phone line is more reliably traceable than anything the Internet has come up with yet. (In part because Internet account providers have become lazy and reliant on the phone companies (who rely on the banks/credit card companies (who do the actual tracking of who you are))).

Nobody knows who xXxZoomSniper420xXx is when he emails you a signed document, but someone had to pay traceable funds to operate that fax line.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

Buying a Switch & Animal Crossing with Trump bucks
kiwifarms.net
My old man is such a boomer that when he was looking at my burner flip phone today he literally couldn't figure out how to pull up my text messages. Love him so much.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
You know how every company now requires a mobile phone to verify your login with texts? Or a valid e-mail address, but every e-mail provider requires a valid phone as well?

That's identity management, outsourced. Fax lines are the same thing: a physical document sent through an established phone line is more reliably traceable than anything the Internet has come up with yet. (In part because Internet account providers have become lazy and reliant on the phone companies (who rely on the banks/credit card companies (who do the actual tracking of who you are))).

Nobody knows who xXxZoomSniper420xXx is when he emails you a signed document, but someone had to pay traceable funds to operate that fax line.
I saw that in a couple of law firms even though they all used fax-modems, so it was signed, scanned and then sent from a computer and received by a computer on the other end, through a shared cellular hub running on a SIM and not a landline. They have to do it and I don't understand the details but it seemed like a no sex before marriage just butt stuff loophole.

Harvey Danger

getting tired of this whole internet thing
kiwifarms.net
I saw that in a couple of law firms even though they all used fax-modems, so it was signed, scanned and then sent from a computer and received by a computer on the other end, through a shared cellular hub running on a SIM and not a landline. They have to do it and I don't understand the details but it seemed like a no sex before marriage just butt stuff loophole.
Yes, but that SIM is registered to a cell network, who relies on the CC/bank to establish identity, etc.

There's services like eFax that emulates a fax line, of course, but the recipient can tell by the number that it's virtual and therefore less trustworthy.

Tags
None