Borderlands (1, 2, 3, The Pre-Sequel, TftB) -

LonnieRohn

Buy my games
kiwifarms.net
Yeeeeah no.

Back when I played BL2, I mained Krieg, which was easily one of the most cathartic experiences, esp. after slogging through playing as Zer0 for months. Zer0 was a good character to play in a group, but playing solo was absolutely abyssmal considering how fragile he felt. Krieg however, shit, dude was at his absolute best when he was seconds away from dying. The whole dynamic of the game changed from "cower and hide and wait for the cooldown to expire" to "gotta kill fast and guns are too slow." I don't give a shit if he was OP, Krieg was fucking fun.

No Krieg? No BL3 for me.
This. Not to mention the horrendous treatment that the BL2 vault hunter has sans Zer0, I mean hell what happen to the cast of tales of the borderland? they got even less respect just look at Cassius.
1569829368790.png

funny thing is he good for farming.
it not much of a buy for me due to the DRM hogging up the resource to the point of choking any up to date game rig. ain't buying it no siree.

The handsome tard

Hyperion is working on the cure, it wont be cheap.
kiwifarms.net
You know, I have looked back and realized that they have lost the opportunity to make Salvador into a weapon's dealer in this game. Guy is freaking nuts about guns (he IS the Gunzerker after all) so perhaps he created his own gun business (that may or may not become a rival to Marcus's Jarkobs). Kind of the dwarf brothers in God of war (the norse one), they stay on each other's throats but by the end of the game they decide to fuse their brands into one ( Call it "Jacobadore" or something).

Wow, what was that? Good writing that respects familiar characters? Nah, instead with get no word on Salvador at all.

Also where the heck is Dr Zed?

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
Zed stayed his happy butt on Pandora, I guess. I'm just glad he's alive and well enough to say quirky shit in the vending machines. Long-standing character, right there.
Im fine by that, TPS had sort of a medic character too since he wasnt around, but the issue is that its never brought up, not even when you are ON Pandora.
They could have put Fyrestone as a location and have Zed in his workplace saying "still needed here on Pandora, especially on trying to get rid of these Hyperion junk towers. Move along now".
Again, this game just kind of handwaves a lot, which shows its lack of detail, you know?

Edit: Perhaps setting up his brother Ned (or third brother thats yet to appear)to return in a DLC? "Return to Zombie Island of Dr Ned (We need money so we made a sequel) "

Belvedere

kiwifarms.net
The more I keep hearing about this game the easier it is to skip it. The most damming take I've heard about it is that it is essentially BL2 with a character and weapons pack, that's it. Seven years between games and BL3 is the equivalent of the kind of improvements that you'll expect from other publishers as part of their yearly franchises. Fucking Hell.

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
The more I keep hearing about this game the easier it is to skip it. The most damming take I've heard about it is that it is essentially BL2 with a character and weapons pack, that's it. Seven years between games and BL3 is the equivalent of the kind of improvements that you'll expect from other publishers as part of their yearly franchises. Fucking Hell.
I put B3 on the same level as the pre-sequel, more of the same...the problem tho is that the pre-sequel came right after 2 and reused a lot of its assets so one can say it was somewhat justified it being "More of the same"
3 had several years and a new gen tech to work with to craft not only a satisfying new entry but a new step forward just like 2 was to 1.
But no, 3 is just 2 with "better graphics" and a mediocre story (TPS had a better plot in my personal opinion).
Im disappointed really.

• Agree
Reactions: LonnieRohn

Fluke

kiwifarms.net
If they've really locked it down w/Denuvo as tightly as the crackers are claiming, probably not. It sounds like the whole game binary is encrypted and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they keep tight watch for file modifications and barf at the first sign of "tampering."
This just feels stupid beyond belief. Who in there right mind would torrent borderlands? Its only fun when in a group and how are you gonna convince 3 friends (whom might not be techsavy) Hey just torrent this link fam!. Not a problem here except you know there may be viruses/malware on it and oh and it might not work. Also wasn´t the whole thing that kept people going with bl2, the endgame grind?

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
You know what I kind of realized it about the plot?
Well, the way to describe it is this...

B2 and TPS was all about showing that the vault hunters are in a way, no better than Handsome Jack and the actual criminals in pandora, now if you agree with this or not was all up to you as the games didnt give a definitive answer but it does show that as much Handsome Jack was evil, he could actually be seen as the lesser one (or not, again, it depends on your perspective of good and evil, especially necessary evils).

The Vault Hunters just want to loot and take what they want, no matter how much they gotta screw over the local population (now in their defense, most of the people they killed were far from innocents and they were trying to kill them first but you can make the argument that their quest by in its entirety selfish).

Handsome Jack wanted to clean and establish order on Pandora, tho it was obviously an ego tyranical trip for him (and in the end, what he truly wanted was to "win" against the bandits and wake up the warrior) but you can say that the intention on cleaning Pandora from all the criminal scum was by itself good.

B3 removes all the moral ambiguity of the series, the calypso twins are undoubtably evil and the vault hunters undoubtably good. Its pure black and white and damn it feels like a gigantic step backwards in terms of plot, theme and developtment.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I got a bit further through the game (as Krieg this time, he was super fun to play up until the BNK-3R fight because fucking hell is a melee build useless against a big flying pool of hit points) and got to a piece of writing/game design that’s so fucking jarring that I HAVE to complain about it here.

When you return to Sanctuary after Roland’s death, you’re given a quest to inform the main NPC’s about it, after which they’ll give some heartfelt dialogue. The thing is, beating that part of the game also unlocks new quests, so if you keep clicking on them (which I’m sure most players will do), they’ll suddenly switch their tone of voice to give you some quirky sidequest. This isn’t something that *can* happen, it’s literally how the situation will play out for most players. Talk about mood whiplash. I can’t be the only one who thought that was incredibly jarring, right? The game just suffers from an overall lack of polish that holds it back from possibly being great.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I think I'm the only person that had any sympathy for Killavolt when I killed him. He was basically just a male Moxxi, and it felt kind of dumb that she was talking him down as being a pig when she is a turboslut herself. Felt kind of crap how shitty she was to him when in the Knoxx content of BL1 she was even upset when you killed her ex.

heyilikeyourmom

a lunatic just barking at the moon
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Been playing 3 as Amara, pretty fun so far. I was bummed about the lack of a berserker class at first but Amara ended up being a pretty solid brawler even just a couple levels down her skill tree. Honestly at this point Borderlands should just let you create a character but meh, still a great game so far.

MasterDisaster

I'm here for the juice, baby.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I'm a huge Borderlands fan and I live BL3. I'm expecting some pretty big DLC stuff this time around (especially since I think there's gonna be a campaign continuation) but there's a couple of glaring issues that still standout.

One is legendary loot. Yeah, I know it's weird to see this as a problem but it's kind of failing at the being rare aspect; during my first playthrough Truant dropped three legendaries. Then after beating the game I wanted to go back and finish some quest/collectables before jumping into TVHM. I turned on Mayhem 1 and the legendary drop rare was obscene. I was blowing guys away with a Butcher and in about two hours my bank was full of orange tier. Thankfully they nerfed that some.

Mayhem 3. It's only purpose is to increase loot drops. The experience gain is pointless because chances are you've been max level for the entire TVHM and you've got so many lengendaries you just started selling them. It's hardcore farming mode. It also leads into...

Forced builds. Now this has been something of an issue the entire series. In BL1 Lilith was pretty much God-Tier and everyone else was basically fodder after awhile. BL2 was better with each class still allowing you to keep a build you wanted without having to dedicate an entire skill tred to it (like Mechromancers Anarchy boost would only cost you one point) but if you want to efficiently farm on Mayhem 3 you basically have to follow builds in order to have maximum damage output. Problem is some of these builds became so OP they've been nerfed. Moze, my favorite, has been nerfed twice. If you don't follow a proper build you can still compensate with proper gear most of the time but otherwise you just find yourself trying not to die while emptying clips into bosses like Gravemind.

Last but not least is action skills. This confounds the shit out of me because the action skill is supposed to be your tide-turner, your power up, the ultimate fuck you. Even in BL1 Lilith is the only one whos action skill never seems to diminish. In BL2 Axtons turret goes from useful to stationary one hit bullet sponge by UVHM. BL3 went full throttle by basically making everyone except Fl4ks action skill useless. Iron Bear gets chewed to pieces in a firefight, Zanes sentry is a pea shooter and double gets one shotted and Amara's relies heavily on elements which enemies are strong against.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I finally finished it, it was pretty awful all the way through and the only laugh I got from the entire game was the full on-non stop cringe inducing credits sequence.

The ending was hilariously unsatisfactory and the only enjoyment I got from it was how unhappy the rest of my team was with it (who all are much more into Borderlands than I am) and it felt very weirdly paced/rushed.

If this is what Gearbox has to show around 7 years of effort they're going to not be in existence very long.

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
I finally finished it, it was pretty awful all the way through and the only laugh I got from the entire game was the full on-non stop cringe inducing credits sequence.

The ending was hilariously unsatisfactory and the only enjoyment I got from it was how unhappy the rest of my team was with it (who all are much more into Borderlands than I am) and it felt very weirdly paced/rushed.

If this is what Gearbox has to show around 7 years of effort they're going to not be in existence very long.
The only good pieces of writing in 3 were some of the side quests, besides that the entire plot was cheap shit that barely paid off what was being set up in B2, TPS and Tales...you were expecting this big Infinity War type of event where they would need to have all the VHs from the past and present to deal with some sort of threat so powerful and numerous that aparently made Handsome Jack and Hyperion seem weak in comparison.

We got cringy livestreamer/youtuber wannabes instead...The Calypso Twins felt like lesser villains that would be working for the bigger one but no, they are the ones you are suppose to fear. Outside of some really forced deaths that were completely avoidable (fuck you, Eva), The Twins dont really do anything. Did I mention not a single writer from B2 and TSP came back and this story was written by people with NO previous experiences? It does really really show.

Also Im so sick and tired of everyone treating Lillith like she is the best ever, all she did after the first game was take credit for the actions of others, like becoming commander of the Crimson Raiders...when Roland was the one that did it so they are only where they are thanks to HIM while she ran away after causing Jack to become even more pissed off at the VHs. All she did in 2 was teleport Sanctuary in an actual awesome scene and then get captured (only talking about main quests here). In 3, she is treated like the one that killed Handsome Jack...excuse me? I think MAYA was closer to that than Lillith, at most the latter could finish him off but Maya was one of the Vhs that killed the warrior.

This, among others, show the utter lack of care that went into the writing and character interaction. Eva is one of the most unlikable characters I have ever met. Hell at the ending when Lillith was going to sacrifice herself, when Tannis said that would kill her, she says "she knows" with a dumb awe smile...bitch, what the fuck?! She is gonna die! Its not enough you killed Maya and unfairly has her powers now, now Lillith is about to die and you have an almost amazed smile?!

In the end, I almost say that this game sort of killed the franchise to me, at least anything outside of the gameplay. I doubt we are getting a 4 after this, given how Gearbox is one its last legs and even if this game sells, they cant survive on Borderlands alone.

MasterDisaster

I'm here for the juice, baby.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well the real meat of Borderlands has always been the DLC content. I get the feeling that the story is actually going to get a huge continuation DLC; like the war we were all expecting. There's actually the whole side quest with the eridian relics where they talk about the 7th siren and how you should never awaken her.

Raging Capybara

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The only dialogue I liked in this game was when Claptrap said he had saved the ship using his ass. That's it.

The writing is atrocious. Gosh, it's truly the clown world when you miss Anthony Burch.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
The only dialogue I liked in this game was when Claptrap said he had saved the ship using his ass. That's it.

The writing is atrocious. Gosh, it's truly the clown world when you miss Anthony Burch.
I didn't think Borderlands 2/TPS had any good writing either, but I don't remember it being this offensively bad.

I died laughing as Lilith basically went "I must return to my home planet" and flew in the moon and did a siren thing and died. Then the credits rolling in with Alicia Keyes' "This Girls is on Fire" was the cherry on top.

Gearbox did the impossible, they found a writer worse then Anthony Burch.

Fluke

kiwifarms.net
Yall gotta praise pitchford to a certain extent he figured out how to trick zoomer autists to play an mmo with only the bad parts left in.

Well the real meat of Borderlands has always been the DLC content. I get the feeling that the story is actually going to get a huge continuation DLC; like the war we were all expecting. There's actually the whole side quest with the eridian relics where they talk about the 7th siren and how you should never awaken her.
That is one of the most autistic things ive ever heard. "The real meat of this fps Rpg isn´t the main story, its the shitty 2hr 15 dollar content packs they will shit out half a year later".

Tags
None