Brave uncovers widespread surveillance of UK citizens by private companies embedded on UK council websites -

FlappyBat

soap, ballot, jury, ammo
kiwifarms.net
Brave uncovers widespread surveillance of UK citizens by private companies embedded on UK council websites
From the Brave press release (Archive):

Brave has uncovered widespread surveillance of UK citizens by private companies embedded on UK council websites. “Surveillance on UK council websites”, a new report from Brave, reveals the extent of private companies’ surveillance of UK citizens when they seek help for addiction, disability, and poverty from their local government authorities.

None of the data collecting companies recorded in this study had received consent from the website visitor to lawfully process data.
It looks like it's mostly ad tech trackers on government websites. Kind of iffy to have personalized ads on your opiate addiction government program.

Attachments

Last edited:

Racist Trash

Hey, I'm a piece of plastic in a plastic suit!
kiwifarms.net
Thank you based Brave, and yeah they "Hey we are using cookies" shit needs to be changed to enforce a clear Accept/Decline button up front not Accept and "Click for 10 pages to find the decline all button."

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
This is due to two potent factors, the government is composed of both:

Boomers who are so tech illiterate you have to use some bizarre metaphor to explain how they can recieve emails while their PC is off who pass laws because the magic internet box is making them angry again.

and

Corporate agents.

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
I just started using Brave the other day after reading nulls recommended software thread, so far I love it. Chrome extenions AND a built in torrent program? I'm in.
That built in torrent program ain't the greatest.

Webtorrent in brave holds the file in ram until it's finished downloading and then prompts you for where to save it.

So If you download a large file (>system ram capacity) your system can run out of ram and will page/swap and run like shit until it has finished.
They may at some point fix that, but as of January it still didn't save to disk, but to ram first.

Ellesse_warrior

ASBO Enthusiast
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The UK are currently pushing to fast track their adequacy decision with the EDPC (European data protection commission) because they were claiming gdpr compliance pre-Brexit. This will have a serious impact in how long they have to wait now and also whether or not adequacy is even granted. Cookies and real time data bidding are high on the EDPC's radar right now.

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
oh shit, thought that wasn't an option anymore.

got fiddy bucks worth of this shit just hanging out in my account, finally can offload some of it
IT is still an option it's just brave changed the system so they aren't the middleman.

Tags
None