Disaster Brexit: "Technical terms" agreed - Chequers minus, as feared, or Brexit in name only.

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
Jon Stone is basically Labour's press department. Yeah I'm also excited to fuck over the major parties in the EU elections.
I'm not a fan of Farage setting up his Brexit party for this. It's just going to split the UKIP/Brexit vote. Yeah it's a PR system so it's not the end of the world but you know if Labour gets the most votes even if UKIP and Brexit party combined are much larger the media and remoaners will be crowing about the mandate for a 2nd referendum at that point.

What I'm not excited about is that we'll be in the same position on halloween or the 17th of October EU summit. This extension isn't long enough for anything major to happen (like a leadership contest or general election), but it's long enough to kill off no deal for 6 months.
Hopefully the rise of the antiglobalist eurosceptic right across Europe will be reflected in the EU parliamentary elections and the new parliament will basically kick us out. That or someone like Italy will decide to fuck with the EU by blocking any more extensions.

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
I still maintain the only solution at this point is for the queen to go sit the throne and invoke the royal prerogative on her own authority. She is sworn to the people and not to the parliament. The parliament works for her and by extension the people. Which means unless my very American reading of British traditional law is off base, she can order the Brexit to occur without delay at the most extreme, or at a minimum dissolve the parliament and order new elections due to their failure to carry out the expressed will of the people.

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
she can order the Brexit to occur without delay at the most extreme, or at a minimum dissolve the parliament and order new elections due to their failure to carry out the expressed will of the people.
She lost the power to dissolve parliament in the fixed term parliament act of 2011. She can't order Brexit as such because parliament is in charge of legislating (we had a whole civil war about that stuff).

The way she could intervene and help with those mess is to block the amendments and laws that parliament keep making in regards to Brexit. That would be basically preventing them from stopping a no deal or seeking an extension as the monarch has to sign all new laws into power. The signing of new laws is basically a rubber stamp process at this point and it would be a major thing if she refuses though.

The other way she could do something would be the more extreme option. You see the police and military are sworn to the mornarch not the government or parliament. Both those are delegated to their respective government functions but ultimately answer to the queen. So pull those powers from the government and go from there, though that would basically be calling civil war mk2 at that point.

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
You could argue that the 2011 law is not "constitutional" though. Parliament works for the monarch. They cannot create a super duper level that removes that fact. Something has to give. The entire point of having a hereditary monarchy is for there to be a stable foundation that can hold things up when everything else fails. The US put our faith in a piece of paper, but you Brits put your faith in traditions. Among which is the monarch. Wtf do you spend all that money on them for, if not for moments precisely like this.

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
You could argue that the 2011 law is not "constitutional" though. Parliament works for the monarch. They cannot create a super duper level that removes that fact.
Though that legislation had to be signed into law by the monarch. Essentially she had to consent to giving up that power and did.

Among which is the monarch. Wtf do you spend all that money on them for, if not for moments precisely like this.
At this point we spend the money for tradition and the tourism they bring in (lots of people going to the palace and watching the changing of the guard etc). Their power is basically ceremonial, while she has a lot of power on paper using it would be extremely rare and probably cause a bigger crisis.

Our backstop is the house of Lord's however that too has been changed dramatically by the reduction in heredetory peers and the stacking of the house with ex MPs by the various parties. That plus the commons can bypass the Lord's too if necessary.

At this point the commons holds all the power with everything else being for show. There is a growing movement to reform the lot and install some sort of actually functional higher house but until then the commons basically runs the place. Hell parliament is legally the sovereign not the monarch now.

In fact parliament being sovereign is what caused this whole mess in the first place. The original plan was the government comes up with how we leave then follow that. Some remoaner took that to the supreme court arguing that parliament, not the government has to decide and the court agreed so let Corbyn and co get their say, which is basically block every option at every step. I mean that and May's genius idea to call a GE and end up as a minority government.

Last edited:

Slimy Time

kiwifarms.net
At this point the commons holds all the power with everything else being for show. There is a growing movement to reform the lot and install some sort of actually functional higher house but until then the commons basically runs the place. Hell parliament is legally the sovereign not the monarch now.

In fact parliament being sovereign is what caused this whole mess in the first place. The original plan was the government comes up with how we leave then follow that. Some remoaner took that to the supreme court arguing that parliament, not the government has to decide and the court agreed so let Corbyn and co get their say, which is basically block every option at every step. I mean that and May's genius idea to call a GE and end up as a minority government.
This is why people absolutely shit themselves at the thought of someone like Corbyn coming in with a majority. Lords iirc don't have a veto power anymore, they can send bills back for the commons to redo/amend up to one year, after which it passes anyways. If any party gets a full majority in the commons, they can technically pass any legislation they wish so long as all MPs fall in line and vote on it. This means that all of his magical tax ideas or requisitioning property can technically be pushed through.

Look at this government and all the restrictive garbage they have managed to push through. Look at Blair and his Anti terrorism bill, which allowed for the indefinite detention of any foreign national without the need for trial or the ability to be deported. They don't like you, you become unpersoned with very little options available, until the Legal division of the House of Lord (Now the Supreme Court) issued a declaration of incompatibility and parliament voted to get rid of it. It's a fucking nightmare, and allows for things like 1984 to potentially happen. At least with the US, there are so many checks and balances so that the Executive doesn't have overwhelming power. Might become a lame duck after 2 years, but its better than the alternative.

Last edited:

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
Though that legislation had to be signed into law by the monarch. Essentially she had to consent to giving up that power and did.
Can the royal consent be revoked though? This is something I have not seen much info on. The most I can see is "well its never been done before!" which does not necessarily mean its can't be done. Everything I have read about Englands nightmarishly vague "unwritten" constitution is that the only thing that truly restrains the queen from going full Charles I is the fact that Parliament cut off his head.

Reactions: Unog

Jacob Harrison

The person who discovered England's true monarch
kiwifarms.net

At this point we spend the money for tradition and the tourism they bring in (lots of people going to the palace and watching the changing of the guard etc). Their power is basically ceremonial, while she has a lot of power on paper using it would be extremely rare and probably cause a bigger crisis.

Our backstop is the house of Lord's however that too has been changed dramatically by the reduction in heredetory peers and the stacking of the house with ex MPs by the various parties. That plus the commons can bypass the Lord's too if necessary.

This is why you should support my cause to restore the true heir to the throne of England. The true king will be an absolute monarch like the king in my profile picture so he will be able to get things like Brexit done without parliament getting in the way. Come join my society so that Brexit can be implemented.
https://kiwifarms.net/threads/jacob-stuart-harrison-storytelling-thread.52396/post-4496095

Reactions: Unog
This is why you should support my cause to restore the true heir to the throne of England. The true king will be an absolute monarch like the king in my profile picture so he will be able to get things like Brexit done without parliament getting in the way. Come join my society so that Brexit can be implemented.
https://kiwifarms.net/threads/jacob-stuart-harrison-storytelling-thread.52396/post-4496095
Oh crap I didn't know he could be actually summoned outside his thread like beetlejuice... I only said your name once though!

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Brexit Party is officially launching at 11am today, with a rally at the ICC in Brum tomorrow.

The Brexit Party has only been accepting donations for a short while, and is already enjoying a war chest of £750,000 nearly all derived from small donations of £500 or under.

UKIP in comparison, saw just £184,000 for the entire year in 2018.

Farage is also recruiting people to stand who will supposedly have "name recognition" and won't have stood before for political parties. A lot of which will be revealed today, or will be revealed at the Brum rally.

KeyserBroze

Sleep is for people who run out of Cocaine
kiwifarms.net
I still maintain the only solution at this point is for the queen to go sit the throne and invoke the royal prerogative on her own authority.
Unfortunately this is a bit of a fantasy, if the Queen were to intervene on even the most minor topic she risks providing ammunition to the republicans, if she were to intervene on Brexit she would fundamentally split the public opinion of the Monarchy. For this reason you can bet your house that short of stopping a civil war the queen will remain out of public view, if only the younger generations of Royals shared her sentiment.

Wtf do you spend all that money on them for, if not for moments precisely like this.
A common misconception, around the time of the Restoration of the Stuart monarchy all the Royal Family's public assets (land holding, estates etc..) was rolled into a Royal Estate (trust), each year the Monarch is paid a grant equaling 15% of the annual profit, the rest is sent to parliament, estimates for the grant are approximately 36 million a year (indicating a surplus is paid to Parliament each year in excess of 200 million), a fraction of the additional revenue they bring in via tourism and trade.

Lords iirc don't have a veto power anymore, they can send bills back for the commons to redo/amend up to one year
The Lords was a good idea however the representatives in the Commons have been allowed to skew the number of seats with their honors, the traditional ethic of the Lords was abolished, for better or worse, when the Labour party banned hereditary peers from the house. Bringing the house down to the whim of the commons , as we have seen in the past week, is a shameful footnote in its history.

There are already people who question what the point of the Royal Family is. If the Queen didn't sign off on legislation, the U.K. would be a republic by October 31st, never mind leaving the E.U.
At some point in the future perhaps however at this moment in time ,despite a few loud voices, a republican party in the UK would garner about as much support as Communist Party USA.

Last edited:

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
Internet troll’ who sent ‘rape tweet’ selected as potential Ukip MEP

Ukip have announced an ‘internet troll’ as one of their lead candidates for the forthcoming European elections.

Carl Benjamin, who has a history of criticising feminism, Islam and political correctness, is among the ‘top candidates’ for the right-wing group.

The self-styled free speech activist joined Ukip last year and will stand in the South West region.

Benjamin, 39, uses the alias Sargon of Akkad and has nearly 1,000,000 subscribers.

He has been banned from Twitter for his views and in 2016 caused outrage by sending a rape tweet to Labour MP Jess Phillips.

In 2016 he tweeted ‘I wouldn’t even rape you’ to the Labour MP Jess Phillips, in a message featuring the tag #feminismiscancer.

Phillips said she subsequently received 600 rape threats.

He has also used racially-charged language online and was removed from the crowdfunding website Patreon because of ‘hate speech.’

Benjamin calls himself a ‘classic liberal’ and has ranted about the left.

During an online chat with Tommy Robinson, he rejected the idea that the terrorist who killed 50 people at mosques in Christchurch had been radicalised by far-right groups on the internet.

Ukip stormed to victory in the 2014 European elections, polling 27% of the vote and securing 24 seats.

They are now left with just seven MEPs after a number left because of in-fighting and the party’s lurch to the right.

Leader Gerard Batten has come under fire for appointing EDL founder Robinson as an adviser to the group.

The far right-winger had wanted to stand to be an MEP but is banned from holding Ukip party membership because of his past.

Batten requested that the National Executive Committee reconsider who it admits as members but the vote was delayed because it was deemed a distraction from Brexit.

Speaking of the shortlist, Batten said: ‘We went through an exhaustive process to sift over 190 potential candidates down to those the National Executive Committee representatives and I felt were most suitable.

‘This list is based on a number of factors that we felt would select candidates to fight for a real Brexit after the European elections. UKIP’s priority is to have MEPs who will fight to make Brexit happen.’

Ukip said they will release a full list of candidates soon.

It could still include Mark Meechan, who was fined £800 after filming a pet dog giving Nazi salutes.

The party face an uphill struggle to attract votes against former leader Nigel Farage’s new Brexit Party

The charismatic frontman claims to have managed to get £750,000 in donations in just ten days.

Ukip has struggled for money in recent years but claim they are the original Brexit party and will fight to ensure that the UK does leave the EU.

David Lawrence from Hope Not Hate, which monitors hard-right groups, said: ‘Benjamin has a history of using vile racist terms and misogynist politics, so it’s hardly surprising he would stand for Ukip given how far right they’ve shifted over the past few years.

‘They sound like the perfect fit.’

I love how they keep dreging up his "rape tweet" as if telling someone you wouldn't rape them is some sort of horrific threat.

He's second on their list for the south east region, they currently have 2 UKIP MEPs in that region. There is a chance (though lower now there is the Brexit party) he ends up as an MEP here.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino