Disaster Brexit: "Technical terms" agreed - Chequers minus, as feared, or Brexit in name only.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
So what I'm getting out of this, is that you guys have an elected oligarchy, with final and supreme authority over any and all laws and regulations. Sounds absolutely awful, and from what I'm reading it also sounds like they set it up that way to benefit themselves in the case of just such an occasion as this.

Oh crap I didn't know he could be actually summoned outside his thread like beetlejuice... I only said your name once though!
He's like an even more inbred TJ, he'll show up if you ring for him.

I love how they keep dreging up his "rape tweet" as if telling someone you wouldn't rape them is some sort of horrific threat.

He's second on their list for the south east region, they currently have 2 UKIP MEPs in that region. There is a chance (though lower now there is the Brexit party) he ends up as an MEP here.
He doesn't need to be a guy who sent a horrific threat, to be a man who would be a horrific threat if he managed to take a place in your government. His ego already threatens to swallow Swindon whole as it is.

Reactions: KeyserBroze

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
He doesn't need to be a guy who sent a horrific threat, to be a man who would be a horrific threat if he managed to take a place in your government. His ego already threatens to swallow Swindon whole as it is.
He's running for MEP, those guys have fuck all power and aren't part of our government. The European parliament is cucked by unelected bureaucrats. That is half the reason we want out.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
He's running for MEP, those guys have fuck all power and aren't part of our government. The European parliament is cucked by unelected bureaucrats. That is half the reason we want out.
You don't understand, if he were elected as mayor of your smallest town his head would inflate to thrice it's normal size and his ego would probably devour the local populace. It'd be a grave situation.

Reactions: TowinKarz

Inquisitor_BadAss

Your daily dose of Karen
kiwifarms.net
You don't understand, if he were elected as mayor of your smallest town his head would inflate to thrice it's normal size and his ego would probably devour the local populace. It'd be a grave situation.
He’d only be an MEP for a few months even if it did happen. The salt would be delicious though.

Reactions: Coccxys

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
That clinches it for me: Carl and the EU absolutely deserve each other.

KeyserBroze

Sleep is for people who run out of Cocaine
kiwifarms.net
My only concern is that the EU is going to move to restrict the MEP's veto ahead of the populist wave due in the next elections.

This wouldn't be unheard of, in January 2019 Maltese MEP's had to singlehandedly oppose a bill that proposed member state’s veto power be removed in relation to issues of taxation.

Gustav Schuchardt

kiwifarms.net
Hopefully the rise of the antiglobalist eurosceptic right across Europe will be reflected in the EU parliamentary elections and the new parliament will basically kick us out. That or someone like Italy will decide to fuck with the EU by blocking any more extensions.
It'd be awesome if it happened but I'm not convinced it will. If you look at the latest extension to Halloween (!) it looks like it was decided by France, Germany and Brussels bureaucrats. I'm not sure that Italy could have stopped it.

At this point the EU is a self perpetuating oligarchy and one which is unfortunately more political astute than the British government.

If you look at what happened to Norway and Switzerland both had multiple votes on whether to join multinational bodies. Most of those failed but both Norway and Switzerland are still bound by EU rules. Or look at Ireland which voted against the Lisbon Treaty. That was finessed away with a second vote. Or look at Greece which had multiple anti EU votes and ended up with a government of EU technocrats which kept them in anyway.

As far as the UK goes I could easily see the Remainers in Westminster colluding with the EU to get another referendum which delivers a Remain vote. After which, like Ireland, there will be no more votes where the proles might deliver an inconvenient result.

The EU is definitely in permacrisis mode though - with a bit of luck those will get worse and worse to the point one state does manage to break away. And then I think you'd see pressure inside the UK to follow their lead.

My only concern is that the EU is going to move to restrict the MEP's veto ahead of the populist wave due in the next elections.
If there's a big Eurosceptic contingent among new MEPs - and that is far from certain - I'm sure we'll see new calls to 'reform' the EU from arch Federasts like Guy Verhofstadt. And that 'reform' will be to stop those Eurosceptic MEPs having any ability to derail things.

In fact Jacob Rees-Mogg said that new MEPs should cause chaos and Brussels said it wouldn't be allowed

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brussels-issues-slaps-down-jacob-14240038

Brussels issued a stinging slapdown to leading Brexiteer Jacob Rees Mogg after he said British MEPs cause chaos if there's a long Brexit extension.

The chair of the European Research Group of Tory MPs, said that “if a long extension leaves us stuck in the EU we should be as difficult as possible”.

He suggested: “We could veto any increase in the budget, obstruct the putative EU army and block Mr Macron’s integrationist schemes”.

The Prime Minister told the EU that the UK is making preparations for the European Parliament in a letter asking for an extension until June 30.

A spokesperson for the European Commission suggested that the Tory MP was irrelevant.

“This gentleman is not our interlocutor and I would say then that the principle of sincere cooperation does apply, as prime minister May herself makes clear in her letter,” the spokesperson told reporters in Brussels.

“I would also say that this is a hypothetical question because it supposes, or presupposed an extension, which is yet to be seen by our leaders.”

Guy Verhofstadt, the European Parliament’s Brexit coordinator, also said: “For those in the EU who may be tempted to further extend the Brexit saga, I can only say, be careful what you wish for.”

After last month's summit a senior EU official said the bloc was well aware of the risk posed by Brexiteers who might be minded to deliberately cause chaos in Brussels if the UK remained.

“On the one hand, the UK has been behaving in accordance with the obligation of sincere cooperation until now. And at the same time… we do also read the British press, and we have seen some comments that maybe we should take this opportunity to break the union from the inside," the senior official said.

“I don’t think that will be possible, and I think any British government will understand that that’s not a promising way forward. We luckily have qualified majority voting on most issues these days and if we don’t, I’m sure we’d find ways of dealing with it if these things were to happen.”

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, the polling has happened out of the weekend and it's wonderful to watch.

In fact, people have started giving May a new nickname. "The Enola May."

Because she's nuking the Tory Party's chances at any fucking election going forward:

That's Westminster voting intentions, by the by. In a single weekend, Brexit Party has gone from nothing to 4th place, and will likely target seats specifically then going full bore like it did previously. Alongside Anastazia Rees Mogg, there's also a former director of the CBI now standing as a Brexit Party Candidate, in the form of John Longworth.

Meanwhile, in the Euros... things are hilariously worse with the Brexit Party now actively breathing down the neck of the Conservatives.

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
Brexit: Jeremy Hunt says 'absolute priority' to avoid European polls

It is an "absolute priority" for the government to leave the EU by 23 May to avoid having to take part in European elections, Jeremy Hunt has said.

The foreign secretary said the public would find it "hugely disappointing" to be asked to send MEPs to Brussels.

Asked if it could be a disaster for the Tories, he told the BBC "in terms of polling it certainly looks that way".

Some local Tory activists have signalled they will not campaign and regard the polls as a "distraction".

Downing Street said that in order to avoid the need for elections, legislation implementing the Brexit withdrawal deal would have to be passed by Parliament by 22 May.

Last week, the EU agreed a new Brexit deadline of 31 October.

Talks between the government and Labour are set to continue over the Easter parliamentary recess in the hope of finding an agreement that will be acceptable to MPs.

A series of working groups in key areas, such as environmental standards, security and workers' rights, have been set up to try and find common ground.

Speaking on a visit to Japan, Mr Hunt said the talks with Labour had been "more constructive than people thought" but "we don't know if they are going to work".

If they did not lead anywhere, he suggested the government may "need to find a way to rebuild the DUP-Conservative coalition", which has come under real strain from Brexit.

The Democratic Unionists are supposed to support the government in key parliamentary votes to give it a majority in the House of Commons.

But they have refused to support the prime minister's withdrawal agreement over concerns with the controversial Irish backstop, which aims to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland.

Mr Hunt told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that continuing Brexit "paralysis" would be "highly damaging" to the UK's global standing and international trading partners "are worried that we will become submerged in the mire of Brexit indecision".

While Japan and other major foreign investors were keen for the UK to "make up its mind" about Brexit, he suggested they would continue to keep faith with the UK even if it left without a deal.

"(Japan) has signed a deal with the EU and, in a no-deal situation, we hope that would roll over and apply for us, although no-deal, I think, is looking much less likely," he said.

"I think they are very keen to protect their trading relationship with the UK, but I think they are also wanting to talk to us about other things."

Mr Hunt downplayed talk of an imminent Conservative leadership contest, saying it would be a "sidetrack" from Brexit.

The foreign secretary, along with his predecessor Boris Johnson, are among a long list of potential candidates touted to succeed Mrs May when she stands down.

Asked whether the next leader could be someone, like himself, who campaigned to remain in the EU, Mr Hunt replied: "There is one very big difference between me and Boris, which is that I am foreign secretary and I have a very big job to do to try and get this deal over the line and that has to be my focus.

"I think that what matters is we have a cabinet that believes in Brexit."

On the first day of his trip to Japan, Mr Hunt met the country's prime minister Shinzo Abe and other political leaders.

He also took some time out of his political schedule to talk to pupils in a school in Tokyo. Mr Hunt is a fluent Japanese speaker, having taught English as a foreign language in Japan in his 20s.

Screenshot_20190415-152608.png

Tories shitting themselves at the prospect of the brutal electoral rape coming their way. Now they're basically begging labour to tell them what to do then they can leave and avoid being slaughtered.

KeyserBroze

Sleep is for people who run out of Cocaine
kiwifarms.net
I'm also looking at getting down to Notts, would be the first time i even considered attending a rally.

Call me paranoid but the fact they cant afford the new facial id cameras they have in the city is a big perk, anyone who thinks they weren't making movies of people protesting outside parliament is kidding themselves.

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm also looking at getting down to Notts, would be the first time i even considered attending a rally.

Call me paranoid but the fact they cant afford the new facial id cameras they have in the city is a big perk, anyone who thinks they weren't making movies of people protesting outside parliament is kidding themselves.
It's a whopping £2.50 and better from the Eventbrite website than via Faceache. Can't really complain at that price.

Reactions: KeyserBroze

Inquisitor_BadAss

Your daily dose of Karen
kiwifarms.net
Another day, another post from me....

I've done something I have never actually done in my life, and have bought a ticket for the Nottingham Brexit Party Rally this Saturday, it's a city I can get to easily enough and will take the lahvley tram system to go see Richard Tice and Farage and others speak..
Keep us in the loop with that.

BR55

kiwifarms.net
Brexit: Jeremy Hunt says 'absolute priority' to avoid European polls

Tories shitting themselves at the prospect of the brutal electoral rape coming their way. Now they're basically begging labour to tell them what to do then they can leave and avoid being slaughtered.
Here's an idea. Why not just go with No Deal and be fucking done with it already? Oh wait that would be too simple and logical. Never mind carry on.

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
Change UK party approved for European elections

The Electoral Commission has approved The Independent Group's application to register as a political party.

The group - made up of 11 former Labour and Tory MPs who quit their parties in February - will become Change UK.

The approval means they can put forward candidates in the European elections due to take place on 23 May - if the UK has not left the EU by then.

But the Commission rejected the party's logo, saying it was "likely to mislead voters".

Two former Conservative MEPs, Julie Girling and Richard Ashworth, confirmed they were joining Change UK and hope to stand as candidates in the European elections.

Ms Girling said she was "fully committed to a People's Vote on Brexit" and was "looking forward to being able to use my extensive experience as part of the Change UK team".

Meanwhile, cross-party talks between the government and the Labour Party are continuing this week to find a way through the impasse.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said no agreement had been reached and the government "doesn't appear" to be shifting its stance on key issues, including its opposition to a customs union with the EU.

Change UK began to form when seven Labour MPs resigned the whip due to an ongoing row about the leadership's handling of anti-Semitism, and its position on Brexit.

Two days later, another Labour MP, Joan Ryan, joined the ranks, followed by three Conservative backbenchers, who criticised the government for letting the "hard-line anti-EU awkward squad" take over their party.

Since then, the group has been a vocal supporter of the "People's Vote" campaign, calling for another referendum on Brexit.

The 11 MPs sat as a grouping in Parliament called "The Independent Group", but applied to become a party at the end of March in case European elections went ahead .

It did not meet the deadline for local elections in England, which are taking place at the start of May.

Planning is already taking place for the European parliamentary ballot after the EU agreed to push back the Brexit deadline to 31 October.

European Council President Donald Tusk has said the delay means the UK will take part in the elections and British MEPs could sit for "months or even longer".

However, Theresa May has insisted the UK could still leave by 22 May and avoid taking part in the elections.

There was some controversy over the choice of Change UK as the party name, with online petitions website Change.org saying it was "seeking guidance on the proposed use of our brand name" .

But the Electoral Commission has approved the application, with former Tory MP Heidi Allen as interim leader, and the party's registered name as Change UK - The Independent Group.

The Commission - which is responsible for overseeing elections in the UK - rejected the group's proposed emblem , however, which was a black square with white writing, saying: "TIG #Change."

A spokeswoman from the Commission said: "The emblem contained a hashtag, and we cannot assess the material linked to a hashtag, which will change over time, against the legal tests.

"The emblem also contained the acronym TIG, which we were not satisfied was sufficiently well known."

Change UK has yet to say whether they have submitted a new logo.

But in a press release, the party confirmed it would launch its European election campaign on Tuesday, 23 April after receiving 3,700 applications from people wanting to stand in its name.

Looks like we're going full clown car for this election. Is there enough paper to print all the ballots?

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another day, another post from me....

I've done something I have never actually done in my life, and have bought a ticket for the Nottingham Brexit Party Rally this Saturday, it's a city I can get to easily enough and will take the lahvley tram system to go see Richard Tice and Farage and others speak..
I'm busy that day I'm afraid. Manowar are coming to Brum.

Change UK party approved for European elections

Looks like we're going full clown car for this election. Is there enough paper to print all the ballots?
Anyone who votes CUK has only themselves to blame.

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
MEANWHILE- Yougov, Apr 17th:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/17/brexit-party-leading-eu-parliament-polls

So, basically "The Brexit Party" is currently enjoying 27% of the vote, with people flocking by the hundreds to see Farage, Tice et al on the roadshow.

Have a graphic to show the staggering change from Yougov's last poll.... only 3 days earlier.

Sky news also had an interesting article pointing out how even Farage's rhetoric has changed and how this probably won't be good news for any traditional party.... or CUK.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-and-the-tiggers-need-to-get-real-11695821

Forever Sunrise

Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar.
kiwifarms.net
So what I'm getting out of this, is that you guys have an elected oligarchy, with final and supreme authority over any and all laws and regulations. Sounds absolutely awful, and from what I'm reading it also sounds like they set it up that way to benefit themselves in the case of just such an occasion as this.
It's so awesome. We don't even have that exceptional 'constitution' bollocks that Americans have to deal with. It's an amazing strength to our country!

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino